Virtual cafe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sidhecafe
    Participant

Really, I never really was one for online dating but more and more people are meeting this way. Which makes sense it’s such a basic form of communication if you’ve got a computer nowadays.

I was out with some friends at work Friday evening and come to find out a bunch of the other singles there had definately met and dated people from online services.

So what do the sadgeezers think of this sort of thing? Any sucess stories? Horror stories?
    I think I’d rather just make friends online.

I’m going to get myself a drink anyone else want one?

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Yes, I’d like a drink.

No, I wouldn’t like an online date. ๐Ÿ˜›

I don’t really like the idea of online dating. I think people need to get out there, and that if they battle to find someone or ‘hit it off’, then they may have to make more of an effort, or try to develope better social skills.

Still, Im not saying you can’t make “real” friends over the internet. I have done so, and it’s great. The internet is a great way to link like minded interest groups.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

No problem on the drink, first round’s on me.

I agree nothing can replace meeting new people face to face or that crazy chance experience of “knowing” the second you meet someone….

However I did just take the online plunge and agreed to a date this week. I’m kind of horrified ๐Ÿ˜› but I figure it’ll be an adventure no matter what too.

Did you like that shaken or stirred?

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Shaken, not stirred please. ๐Ÿ˜›

Good luck on your date! Just remember to be safe, you don’t know who you are really meeting.

theFrey
    Participant

TheSister meet two gentlemen from UK land on the internet. What it was about them that interested her I am not sure, because other than the UK’ness they were totally different.

Chat room, led to phone calls, led to visits of them to the States (her turf) and then her to UK. She eventually decided on one who gave up a pretty decent job to come live in the states for a year (just to make sure) before she moved to UK and got married.

Careful? Backgrounds were checked, children stayed in States for the first year she lived in UK to let her get established and make double sure and then family was re-united.

Me? I wish she had met someone from states, but she seems pretty happy and the kids seem to have ajusted well.

Best GF did on line dating and scored the winner on about her sixth try. They dated for a year and have been happily married for about three years now.

I don’t think there is a problem with using the internet to meet people….. as long as nothing gets strung along. If after a month or few someone is not coughing up phone numbers and addresses (for said checks) then that person is NOT what they claim and it is time to cut the connection.

The nice thing about the net now, is so many of us know people all over the world, we can often get preliminary feed back on our online buddies from some one we know who has actually met them un RL.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Thanks for the support / insight!! And yes I’ll be safe!

He just emailed me to solidify our plan and used the word “serendipity” in a sentence…..Who does that?! ๐Ÿ˜›

Could be a very bad sign…..that and he said he’d be wearing khakis(sorry if that offends anyone).

It’ll be a story anyway….

My roommate’s already thinking about staking herself out at the bar of the resturant so she can make fun of me later ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜†

They make us evil ๐Ÿ˜ˆ here in the Northeast…

lexxrobotech
    Participant

The only time I wear khaki is when Im in the bush, and you don’t get any rougher than the South African wild, so it’s super cool to wear khakis then anyway. ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah, like I said, have fun, but be careful.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

thefrey wrote:

TheSister meet two gentlemen from UK land on the internet. What it was about them that interested her I am not sure, because other than the UK’ness they were totally different.

I actually wouldn’t mind meeting Americans/ not irishmen for a change…since in Boston, all of the guys I’ve met/dated were Irish immigrants- because I happen to live in that part of town. Which was great – don’t get me wrong. I made some good connections and have been over to Ireland twice because of friends made….but I haven’t dated an American guy in a few years!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

to sum up briefly….

2 drinks and we went our seperate ways.

Pretty lame, but not horrible- at least we both realized it wasn’t going to work out.

And it was something different, so I’m willing to try it again. But this is kind of bizarre….like constantly going on blind dates.

Humans are so weird ๐Ÿ˜›

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.