Vote for your show!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Vote for your show!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    n5 -kopele
    Participant

Most of the lexxians already know about that site http://richlabonte.net/tvvote/ It’s an internet poll about the best TV show of all time. Currently Xena the Warrior Princess is on the top, Farscape is number 2, Buffy is 11, Doctor Who is 27, Lexx is 29. Go there and vote for your favourite sci-fi once every hour. You can vote for two shows at the same hour, so vote for Lexx too! Change the chart, which seems injust with some shows. Vote!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Though I am a Lexxian (you may know me better as FunkET), my sci-fi choice might be The Prisoner… I’m also a big Doctor Who, Outer Limits (classic series), Star Trek TOS, and Red Dwarf fan. My favourite sci-fi miniseries would be the BBC’s First Born.

Maybe my favourite show with sci-fi elements is the original The Twilight Zone — some brilliant writing, I think.

Frankly, I find any “best of TV” poll that would have Xena at the top rather ridiculous — the fans are well-organised, obviously. So-called “Best of” methodology was once a passion and study of mine (an attempt towards subjective vs. objective analysis), and I don’t care for the way they’ve set it up. Best of lists do tend to be problematic.

At least they should have called it a favourites poll. More than one vote per person skews the results too much, and it might have worked better if they’d tried to do it by genre. Would be interesting if the ages of the voters, countries of origin, and votes per person were referenced since I don’t imagine you’re getting a good cross section of people.

A fun exercise, bu not terribly valuable (at least as a best of list in and of itself). But as for your list, that’s another matter. I love to know what others here like too, and why. Thanks.

As for my favourite show, since it’s not a sci-fi exclusive list at the site, I think Decalogue, I Claudius, House of Cards, and The Singing Detective were very good.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

What? No SG-1??? ๐Ÿ™‚

Logan wrote:

At least they should have called it a favourites poll. More than one vote per person skews the results too much, and it might have worked better if they’d tried to do it by genre. Would be interesting if the ages of the voters, countries of origin, and votes per person were referenced since I don’t imagine you’re getting a good cross section of people.

You bring up some very good points. And anytime you can vote as often as you want pretty much invalidates the poll. But it’s all in good fun, I guess.

Anyway, this is such a hard question to answer ’cause there are so many good shows!!! You almost hate to single one out as ‘the favorite.’ But I guess I would have to say Star Trek- TOS is my fav because it was the show that got me into sci-fi when I was only 5 or 6 years old, and now that I’m older I realize how original it was and even ground-breaking in some respects. I still find it very entertaining.

BSG- reimaged is another favorite and I never miss an episode. Great characters (top to bottom), compelling storylines and great FX make for a fine Friday evening.

Farscape is another series that I love and I’ve been able to enjoy it all over again now that the local FOX affiliate and WGN air episodes weekly. I guess you could say that I’m on a Farscape ‘kick’ right now. DVR’d ‘The Peacekeeper Wars’ last night, too, and will enjoy them tonight and tomorrow or however long it takes. Anyway, Browder and Black are wonderful together and their crewmates were great characters, too. Just a very creative show that I never tire of watching.

n5 -kopele
    Participant

FunkET, you’re right! The results of the poll can’t be called the best shows. But still doesn’t it make you feel something, when your favourite show is in the top 10? no matter on what site ๐Ÿ™‚

Besides, if Lexx gets a lot of votes, we might send the numbers to AAC, and they might reconsider their desicion about Lexx. This is actually what motivates me to vote. The joy of the uprising of Lexx in the list is second ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous
    Inactive
    YOWAYYO wrote:

Anyway, this is such a hard question to answer ’cause there are so many good shows!!! You almost hate to single one out as ‘the favorite.’ But I guess I would have to say Star Trek- TOS is my fav because it was the show that got me into sci-fi when I was only 5 or 6 years old, and now that I’m older I realize how original it was and even ground-breaking in some respects. I still find it very entertaining.

Ditto for me (well Star Trek and Doctor Who with Pertwee). In fact, I think one could build a strong argument for the original Star Trek as the greatest sci-fi show (depending on criteria to an extent of course). It’s been very influential, it spawned a huge franchise, really helped popularise sci-fi on TV and I think the storytelling remains excellent and relevent. Shame it was cancelled early.

I’ve been watching it since I was four, and it stands the test of time for me. Lots of shows I watched as a kid I stiull enjoy for nostalgia sake, but Trek TOS remains fresh, and I can genuinely enjoy it as an adult. Not surprising that it tops most best of sci-fi lists.

n5 -kopele wrote:

FunkET, you’re right! The results of the poll can’t be called the best shows. But still doesn’t it make you feel something, when your favourite show is in the top 10? no matter on what site ๐Ÿ™‚

Sure, it’s nice to see that other people appreciate what you appreciate. So if I see a favourite show of mine makes top ten in a list I may well be pleased to see it there (not that I need validation that what I like is respected cause I’m also a bad movie buff), but my positive reaction to that will be negated if I see other stuff ranked higher than my “fave” that I consider total crap (not that I take these kind of lists seriously in the list). ๐Ÿ˜‰ If that happened in a critics’ list that would be more likely to cause me to post in the Angst Forum than express my joy over it being listed at all.

Besides, if Lexx gets a lot of votes, we might send the numbers to AAC, and they might reconsider their desicion about Lexx. This is actually what motivates me to vote. The joy of the uprising of Lexx in the list is second ๐Ÿ™‚

Alliance-Atlantis largely got out of television production — though there is a glimmer of hope that that might change now. If they were Canadian network television owners )or broadcast companies), the Canadian broadcast regulatory authority (CRTC) has requested more Canadian Content on broadcast channels — they own Specialty cable channels though, but there could be the possibility of some co-productions perhaps now).

Anyway, even if they had some interest in continuing Lexx, I find it highly implausible that those numbers could influence the mammoth corporation in any way.

Individuals can vote many times (you couldn’t fool them), and you’d need a very large number of individuals who are interested in a revival for them to take notice. If they were offered enough, I do expect they’d sell (or lease?) the rights.

Anonymous

Personally, I have a hard time with what actually IS my fave and what SHOULD be my fave show.

LEXX should be my fave all time sci fi show but isn’t. My favourite changes most weeks. Currently it’s Drawn Together ๐Ÿ˜€ (I know, tentatively Sci Fi at best ) but still cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

I wonder how many of us would actually like to watch our fave sci fi show right now? Aren’t you sick of watching re-runs, wouldn’t you prefer something as cool but more up to date?

I have real concerns that I’m probably missing SOOOOO much good sci fi because it simply isn’t available in my country. What good French Sci Fi is there out there. My fave sci fi film is Kin Dza Dza and I only found out about that when I married a Rooskie! How many more sci fi fans am I gonna have to marry to get my Sci Fi Fix!!!

I also think that some bright spark should come up with a Sci Fi GNOME project rather like the cool people at http://www.pandora.com who developed the Music Gnome Project.

Any takers?

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of my biggest problems with “best show of all-time” lists is that none of us have the capacity to see all the shows to make an informed decision. At least with a short-list, one can try to check them all out for comparison to come to your own decision as to which is best.

I suspect that if I got to see everything, I’d find my favourite show is something I’d never heard of or seen.

Sad, I feel the same way. I’m tired of the same old, same old — sick of re-runs for sure, and wish I had easy access to other sci-fi shows. Don’t want to be a slave to the rather limited choices on TV. I’m lucky you married a Russian since otherwise I wouldn’t have found the opportunity to watch the amazing Kin Dza Dza either. There must be so much great stuff that never, or only in a very limited way, sees the light of day in our parts of the world.

That would be awesome if someone set something up like the Music Gnome project for SF. The SadGnome project has a ring to it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

By the way, you can never marry enough sci-fi fans, in my opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Logan the SF polygamist.
    )

Pooka
    Participant

Stargate SG-1 is my favorite of the currently shown shows but my very favorite would have to be Star Trek. After all it launched so many careers into engineering and medical research, etc. Hadn’t really thought about it until the show, How William Shatner Changed History or something like that title.

Oh well at least I can say that I enjoy all of those listed at one time on another.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

LONG LIVE LEXX!

Anyone know where I can either download or get some LEXX DVDs?

mandara k
    Participant

Acorn Media puts them out. try Amazon, or well anydiscount webstore. I used DeepDiscount DVD before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.