Walmart – The Continuing Saga of the Race to the Bottom

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Walmart – The Continuing Saga of the Race to the Bottom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

One of the articles I get in my newsletter.

5) This New York Times article on Wal-Mart’s health care practices
    features a company spokesman saying that Wal-Mart’s miserly health care plan and its resulting drain on taxpayer dollars ought to be part of “a national debate” on health care. Of course, based on past national debates on health care, Wal-Mart will remain at the forefront of those who say they should be left alone to provide
    little or no health care benefits to most employees:
    ——————————————————————————
    November 1, 2004
    States Are Battling Against Wal-Mart Over Health Care
    By REED ABELSON

In the national debate over what to do about the growing number of working people with little or no health insurance, no other company may be taking more heat than the country’s largest employer, Wal-Mart Stores.

The company, despite its popularity with consumers, has grown
    accustomed to being accused of crushing Main Street merchants with its sprawling stores and low prices and of driving down wages for workers across the retail industry. And more than a million former and current female Wal-Mart employees are part of a sex
    discrimination lawsuit that the company is fighting.

Now, Wal-Mart finds itself under attack for what critics see as its
    miserly approach to employee health care, which they say is forcing
    too many of its workers and their families into state insurance
    programs or making them rely on charity care by hospitals.

ZevofB3K
    Participant

What do you expect from a store where people flock like ants? You can get run over by some crazy old lady’s shopping cart, and not get so much as a”Watch where you’re goin’ kid!”

Come to think of it, avoid places with “mart” in it somewhere. It just leads to trouble.

theFrey
    Participant

Coolness, now they are going to close a store rather than negotiate with their employees. Is that ballsy or what! Ya just gotta be in awe of a company that is willing to take the flak, bad publicity and potential lawsuits rather than comply with existing labor law. What will they do next? Human Sacrifice?

From Working Familys – The world’s largest retailer is choosing to destroy the livelihoods of nearly 200 working families rather than accept a fair and impartial agreement on workers’ wages and benefits.

Wal-Mart announced Feb. 9 it will shut down the Canadian store where workers had formed a union six months earlier to have a voice on the job. Workers at the Jonquiere, Quebec, store had been negotiating with Wal-Mart for several months, attempting to reach a fair agreement on wages and benefits. The company pulled the plug when workers appealed to the Quebec Labor Ministry to start a process to establish a wage and benefit settlement.

Please click the following link to sign the petition telling Wal-Mart’s CEO: Do the right thing. Reverse plans to close your store. And negotiate in good faith with Wal-Mart workers.

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/walmart_accountable

The message from the world’s largest and wealthiest retailer to consumers, communities and workers worldwide is clear: Wal-Mart would rather close stores, eliminate workers’ jobs and make an entire community suffer than reach an agreement with workers for fair wages and benefits.

Please sign our petition to Wal-Mart’s CEO Lee Scott. Tell Mr. Scott to respect workers. Wal-Mart can’t shut down stores because it doesn’t want to pay workers fairly.

This is not just a fight for Wal-Mart workers. With Wal-Mart’s unprecedented size and growth—$280 billion in revenues last year—we are fighting for everyone. And this fight needs all of us, working together.

Click here to sign the petition:

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/walmart_accountable

Together, as consumers and as activists, we have the power to stop Wal-Mart’s attack on workers—and to hold corporations accountable for Wal-Marting jobs. This is a battle about the kind of society we want to live in and the kinds of jobs we want our children to have. You can make a difference.

I do so love getting these little notices in my email inbox, they have a way of making me glad that I am not a young person with my whole life in front of me.

Shiroekitsune
    Participant

Not an uncommon practice to get out of a union or starting of one. If wal-mart allows it then the rest of the stores will follow suit i’m sure….that is what they don’t want. In the USA alone this would be very bad in their eyes!

The fallout from this would be devastating to what wal-mart wants and can do. I would love to see this happen….either way, unions in the stores or store closings!

There is a slow rise in communities that are starting to wake up to the wal-mart steamroller. One store opening hiring 200 worker but in affect over time of 1-2 year destroying over 1,000 job in all from the surrounding area due to other businesses close over competition.

Fact is wal-mart doesn’t hire enough ppl to constitute the low wages or the loss of jobs in the area. Its very sad what’s happening in the USA atm, jobs running background credit checks before hiring or policies of once you quit your never hired again for starter. Sure it sound great of paper but with the wages and hardness of obtaining work you don’t need the extras to hold you back. Perfect example: Stocking job….background credit checks and if the companies your seeking work from is owned by another company as an underling….your screwed…..

Going with wal-mart as example here….wal-mart has itself and owns Sam’s club….so if you had quit you cant work for wal-mart or sam’s club EVER, thats fine…but if wal-mart buys out say some gas stations, other stores….starts up a mall or opens up a restaurant that hits big like micky D’s…..now your hurting for job options and couldn’t work for any of them due to their no hiring quitters or credit risks….

Sidhecafe
    Participant

The real deal with Wal-Mart is the fact that the people they hurt the most are the people who can’t afford to shop anywhere else either.

Wal-Mart thrives off the people in this country who are constantly struggling to make ends meet. Because everything is sooo cheap there.
    They fill a need this country has for low cost consummables.

So until the market provides alternative, Wal-Mart IS going to think they can do what ever they want.

It’s a very sad state of affairs. They are abusive with the privelege of their position because there is no one to challenge them beside their own employees.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.