Walter Koenig on Star Trek???

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Babylon 5 & Crusade Walter Koenig on Star Trek???

• This topic has 21 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 21 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I read that Walter Koenig was actually on Star Trek. Anyone know anything about that? Which Star Trek was it, anyway? The other day, I was watching Star Trek; Deep Space Nine, and Caitlin Brown was on it, did anybody know about that one? You’ve really got to wonder about it, don’t you, especially if you’re nosy, like I am!

Flamegrape
    Participant

Anonymous

thanks for the cool pic Flamegrape! yes Jessi, Walter Koenig played Chekov in the original Star Trek. and in Babylon 5 he plays Al Bester the nemesis of John Sheridan and the crew of B5.

DalekTek790
    Participant

Walter Koenig was really amazing as Bester because he was able to believably portray a character very different from Ensign Chekov. Let’s fave it, all of the original Star Trek cast members have been typecast big time, and it would be fighting an uphill battle to be seen as anyone else. But Koenig succeeded as Bester.

When I see him on Babylon 5, I don’t see Chekov, I see Bester. I still think I like the character of Chekov on Star Trek better than Bester on Babylon 5, but they’re two very different characters, and there’s no comparing them. Chekov is amiable, sometimes even humerous. Bester is sly and unfeeling, with only a little pathos. Chekov is the kind of guy you love. Bester is the kind of guy you love to hate.

Walter Koenig is a great actor in his flexibility.

[ 28-01-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Jessi:
    I read that Walter Koenig was actually on Star Trek. Anyone know anything about that? Which Star Trek was it, anyway? The other day, I was watching Star Trek; Deep Space Nine, and Caitlin Brown was on it, did anybody know about that one? You’ve really got to wonder about it, don’t you, especially if you’re nosy, like I am!

Uh yeah and by the way you may find this hard to believe but so was Leonard Nimoy and William Shattner. I just can’t believe such great movie stars like that we ever in some show called “Star Trik”

-SM

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Jessi:
    The other day, I was watching Star Trek; Deep Space Nine, and Caitlin Brown was on it, did anybody know about that one?

Yes I did, DId you know Bill Mumy was also in a DS9 episode. He played a communications engineer. Him and his platoon were defending and tryign to decode a Jem H’dar relay station, they captured a few months earlier. Yes he died, somewhere in the middle.

Andreas Katsulas was on Star Trek TNG. He played a romulan comander, sort of. The character he played was really a hologram made by a child; The child wanted keep Riker on that planet to be his father.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, guys. Headgehog, no I didn’t know that Bill Mumy was on DS9 as well and that Andreas Katsulas was on TNG. I used to watch TNG, but then wrestling came on and now if I wanna see it, I have to tape it. I actually only just started watching DS9, and THAT was because Babylon 5 was on after it – I’ve got Austar – and I only ever saw a couple of Star Trek episodes.
    With that, it’s odd, looking at that photo (thanks for that) because I’ve barely seen any Star Trek and I’m used to Walter Koenig looking like Bester!
    It’s amazing when you consider how different Chekov and Bester are, though. Like you, DalekTek 790, pointed out, Walter Koenig IS a very flexible actor, to be able to pull off those two very different roles.

Anonymous

thanks for the info Headgehog! and now that you mentioned it i do remember the DS9 ep with Bill Mumy. i remember the one with Riker and the kid but i don’t recall Andreas Katsulas in it but with the makeup it is hard to tell. if they ever start showing DS9 again in my area i will look forward to seeing that ep. i would just love to see G’Kar as a romulan. i remember seeing the beginning of a movie, an old movie probably from the seventies, with him in it. i think it might have been a cop movie. i actually saw his name in the credits but i am not sure if i actually saw him or not, i had to leave to go to work. i guess i should look for his site to check this out or it is going to bug forever! hehehe
    and i do agree that Walter Koenig is an excellent actor and very convincing as Bester!

[ 29-01-2002: Message edited by: mary beth ]

Anonymous

mary beth, I have to agree with you, Walter Koenig IS convincing as Bester.
    A note I forgot to put in the other day; Slopmaster, I DO know that William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were also in Star Trek. I don’t know what people say when they’re figuring out which Star Trek other people are talking about where you are, but here, if you mention it, the reply is either ‘the one with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in it?’ or ‘the one with Kirk and Spock?’ No one else gets a mention, not that I’ve heard, anyway. I guess most people think the rest of the crew can go hang, or something.

Anonymous

OK JESSI LET THE BATTLE BEGIN WITH THIS QUTE
    FROM REDD DWRAFF

OK RIMER OK………….

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by lh:
    OK JESSI LET THE BATTLE BEGIN WITH THIS QUTE
    FROM REDD DWRAFF
    OK RIMER OK………….

Did I miss somethign somewhere in this thread?

Anonymous

Yes, you did. It’s now the Battle of the Replies Forum. What replies, I don’t know, and which replies, I have no idea. Actually, I do know, but it sounded good. It’s about B5 episodes and charactors, etc.

Anonymous

By the way, does Walter Koenig actually sound like that in real life? His voice sounded weird in B5!

DalekTek790
    Participant

I’m pretty sure his Russian accent in Star Trek was phony.

Anonymous

I really have to tape Star Trek one of the days it’s on and compare voices.
    Was Walter Koenig always that short as well? It must be a bit embarassing, being the shorty of the show!

Anonymous

RE: Walter – Yes, he really is that short (I believe they had him wear slight lifts during his ST days) and no, his voice is not at all like the one he used in ST, nor is it quite like the one he used in B5.

RE: Bill(y) Mumy – I certainly hope that some of you have watched re-runs of the old “Lost in Space” to catch one of his earlier jaunts into space. He also did either a “Twilight Zone” or “Outer Limits” that is quite a classic.

[ 19-02-2002: Message edited by: mahi mahi ]

[ 19-02-2002: Message edited by: mahi mahi ]

Anonymous

Was that Lost In Space the movie or the series?
    I watched Star Trek yesterday. I’m sure he wore lifts, too.

Anonymous

Sorry for the delay answering. Bill Mumy was in “Lost in Space” the TV series which ran in the 60s. (The premier episode scared the heck out of me. Dr. Smith was an evil man rather than the comic relief tool they turned him into.)

DalekTek790
    Participant

Bill Mumy was one of the few cast members from the original Lost in Space not to make a cameo appearance in the film remake (unless I missed him).

Anonymous

The TV series? That used to be on UKTV, but I only watched about five minutes of it every Sunday, ‘cos it was on before Doctor Who.
    Bill Mumy wasn’t in the new Lost In Space. I scanned the cast list (weird habit) and he wasn’t in it, I don’t think.
    I’m surprised that dark_angel3838 hasn’t brought this up; her sister’s friend, James, looks like Lennier!

pet
    Participant

Another B5 tie-in,

I just started watching my new DVD set, and something I didn’t notice (know about) the first time around struck me. Walter Koenig used the greeting/goodbye from The Prisoner, making the number 6 with your hand over your eye and saying “Be seeing you….”

Anyone know if that was in the script or improv? Just curious…. Anyway, it made me happy.

BCingU!
    Pet;D

Anonymous

That’s an interesting point.
    I don’t actually watch The Prisoner myself (it’s basically just a rip-off of Prisoner: Cell Block H as far as I can see) but it’s always interesting to see what people can pick up that’s been copied from other shows.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.