Way OT: Shameless plug for my dirty book

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Way OT: Shameless plug for my dirty book

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    pet
    Participant

Well, I’ve been outta the loop here for awhile since the move to colony3. Those Drake Droolers average 18 hours of chats during the week when they are supposed to be working.

I get a half hour of outside line access if I am lucky and make it to the terminal before anyone else where I work. ๐Ÿ˜•

Anyhoo, the dirty book taking up the rest of my time just became available today: Kinky Games for Normal People . Yes, that is its real cheesey title, but I promise I left out the sleazy and still made it entertaining. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And now my eyes are very very very verrrrrrry tired! And I promised my next manuscript for some people in Jan, so I’m still cracking.

The Stranded roleplaying scenario involves an alien and an astronaut being stranded alone on a planet full of aphrodisiacs, so I guess it does fit here a tiny bit. ๐Ÿ˜†

Anyway, if it’s the sorta thing you’d like, enjoy, if not, don’t click on the link, ya know?

Be Seeing You!

theFrey
    Participant

Ah ha, so this is where you’ve been. Researching! ๐Ÿ˜†

So what is due in January?

pet
    Participant

Yeah, who knew being a Love Slave would be so much WORK!

50 First Kisses in January, in time for Valentines, but it’s works of short fiction, not a how-to. Unfortunately I am only up to 8 right now. ๐Ÿ™„

Looks like this will require more research….

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

Dare I ask what was your inspiration? And what are your marketing plans?

Good luck!!

…..Stanelle

lizard
    Participant

Good work pet! You are definitive proof that we internet lounge lizards are not all a bunch of slackers. Writing a kinky book, brilliant!

I am going to have a glass of champagne in your honor (next time I am in a position where I don’t have to pay for it!)

pet
    Participant

Hee! Thanks, Lizard, I like to prove to people geeks get laid, too. And often we are more creative at it….

As for the questions, my inspiration was that people keep hunting me down for articles I wrote for a now-defunct romance site, and I decided to update them and no longer give them away for free, and my marketing plan, well….

I am hoping to
    A) get banned by the bookstore it’s being sold in now so that I can use that to sell to a bigger publisher or,

B) Not get banned and get featured in February. Also going for a bookcrossing promotion in January if they still allow it, though I’m not sure where it could be released in the wild!

Aside from that, I’m sending out review copies and working on grassroots word-of-mouth. If it goes well, I’ll expand it to a larger edition for a bigger publisher. If it doesn’t, no big deal. They are printed individually as ordered so it doesn’t cost me a cent.

Pet

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congratualtions, Pet! All you’ve accomplished since I’ve known you simply boggles the mind. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Wrong occasion, but here’s the champagne for the celebration — taken from your McFabulous site: click

pet
    Participant

Thanks, Logan, I do love McChampagne!

I should mention that anyone who ordered and found their orders cancelled inexplicably, they have finally admitted that the pdf converter they suggested (and are still pushing) is not compatible with their printing process. So they were unable to print.

The new version should be printable at 9AM EST November 2.

(Too bad, I was hoping to be banned! :D)

theFrey
    Participant

Really? Which converter are you using?

I know they have had intermittent problems with non-adobe programs. I have successfully used, been refused and used again pdf995 on three books I uploaded.

Every once in a while their system burps and declares

Blasphemer! Thou shalt not use any other system but the sacred Adobe!

Then it gets over it, realizes not all of us want to sacrifice a kidney or sell a neighbor child to buy their stupid program.

pet
    Participant

I was using pdf995 as well, which they say uses Ghostwriter and isn’t compatible with their printing process.

However, it has the most complete instructions on their own site, and can be used more than 5 times, so that’s what I picked.

Hmmm… why exactly is it on their site if it can’t be used on their site?

Anyhoo, the free trial of Adobe doesn’t exactly inform you that simply choosing 7.5 x 9.25 in your preferences doesn’t necessarily mean you will get 7.5 x 9.25 in your document. Enter two more downloads. Just for that.

I managed it on the last try. Whew, and (disharmonious word beginning with “F”) to Adobe.

You actually got an error message? I just got orders cancelled left and right. Then I wrote and they gave me the form response telling me “rest assured, we will respond to you within 24 hours” which as you likely know means “we will respond to you within 24 hours after a week has passed”. ๐Ÿ˜†

Pet

theFrey
    Participant
    pet wrote:

Hmmm… why exactly is it on their site if it can’t be used on their site?
    Pet

Because, the not all the people doing the huge long books feel like ponying up the hundreds and hundreds of dollars it takes to make the Adobe franchise happy. And…. the free adobe trial will not work for people doing books with more than a few hundred pages. Therefore, they continue to list it and pray that the glitch doesn’t appear too often. This is the second time I have heard of it, in perhaps the last 18 months.

pet
    Participant

So, out of curiosity, did you just make a new file with pdf995 and it worked from then on, or did you just keep ordering until the printer worked?

Because I would rather not use Adobe’s $9.99 a month service, but if they have changed their process to disallow pdf995 I don’t see a way around it.

Also, they didn’t tell me WHY orders were being cancelled until a week after I asked. Truthfully, they didn’t even tell me the orders were cancelled. I found out when I logged on and looked. No cancellation email. Nothing. Nor for the other people who ordered.

Pet

theFrey
    Participant

Do you ever post in the forum? http://p205.ezboard.com/fcafepressstoreownersforumfrm29

What I did was pay one month for the adobe, and then fortunately , the problem seemed to go away by the time I needed it next time.

You may want to post a question there to see if anyone else is having ‘issues’

They sent out a survey this afternoon.

Questions

3. What do you dislike about CafePress.com?

My Answer – The inability to have black or dark colored shirts.

Also I dislike the way the publishing area decides that it does not like pdf995 every once in a while. We do not all have adobe, nor do we wish to sell a kidney to afford a copy of it. Yes there is the free online trial but that will not work with files longer than 100 pages. Also, quite frankly, Adobe is harder to work with when you need a specific size, rather than the normal page size.

4. How can we make CafePress.com better for you?

Fix the intermittant incompatibility to pdf995 and the other programs written with ghost script.

pet
    Participant

I’ve been monitoring the forums, but I couldn’t get the other suggestions to work on my computer. I think pdf creator was one? When I tried that one I had to reinstall Microshaft Word.

They have cancelled the order made with Adobe, as well, citing the same reason, that I am using Ghostscript. ๐Ÿ™„

I’ll have to check for the survey, thanks!

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

Can you suggest other such sites?

pet
    Participant

Unfortunately so far is appears to be the only one of its kind. ๐Ÿ˜€

Most other places require advance purchase and make you drop-ship your products. The bookstore seems to be working for people who can get their pdfs to work, but there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to which ones do and don’t. (I am still sending it to real publishers, btw; I’m very lazily getting back into the cover letter thing after taking many years off, LOL!)

pet
    Participant

Long time, no see.

Sorry I haven’t been around. Sorry I abandoned all my writing plans, too, but I have overhauled my schedule and there’s just no time anymore.

I am so out of the sci-fi loop, it’s scary. I even stopped visiting my own site when this next project turned into a novel about 15th Century Italy, which is odd because I am usually much more interested in the entertainment value of 15 Centauri than the 15th Century. But I’m sure the girls are happy to be able to chat without feeling as if they have to behave themselves in front of the Almighty Admin and her Zero Trollerance Magic Banning Tool.

But anyway, to whom it may interest, the book is now a featured product in ”Gifts for Him”[/url] for Valentine’s Day, which means TPTB actually looked it over and chose to put it there. (whoo!) ๐Ÿ˜€

Now I’m off to lurk and see what certain peeps have been up to now that I have a few minutes….

theFrey
    Participant

Congrats pet. ๐Ÿ˜€ So, now that they are no longer canceling your book orders, how is it going sales wise?

pet
    Participant

I am selling 1 a day! All of them appear to be shipping to women who live in provinces in New Canada (surprise!) And one to Austria, 4 to Old Canada.

I expect that will peak sometime in the next couple of weeks, then die off. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hopefully I can catch the Bridal-Shower-Gag-Gift market in June.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.