We’re back!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Wow, it took me all day to find what the problem was (well actually it was a rather hung over and shocked ISP).

SadBoard is now the most popular section of the SG Guide and for some reason, this last week has seen the most traffic yet!

The high traffic and page hits caused the log files to fill up at such a rate, that my disk allocation for the SG Guide (600 MB) was reached and forced a safeguard that stopped all further writing of data to the site. This corrupted three of the Bulletin Boards CGI files and the whole thing folded.

I managed to re-upload them this afternoon and my ISP has increased my Disk Quota to almost a Gig. That should alleviate any problems over the coming weeks.

Sorry for the inconvenience! I was away at a party last night and we got so sozzled, we had to stay in a hotel. I’d just got back when Newkate told me that one of our ace moderators had called to tell me about the board being down.

Anyway, enough waffle, I just wanted to make sure that you got a full explanation – I’m sure some of you must have been real ****ed off!

Headgehog
    Participant

Wow Sad, your adding 100 megs like once a month. Is the site getting that many hits!? What like 40-50k/day?

Anonymous

The log file was 436Mb ! The biggest I’ve ever seen before was around 180 Mb. I think that there must be some configuration problem. It’s probably that the file is not re-writing itself and just keeps adding log stats.

The ISP will sort it out probably on Monday (I hope)

PS. Headge, just noticed that the forums.cgi config file was corrupted and has blown up the SG-1 forum!

I’m just trying to fix that now. The messages are there, I just cant get the forum to be listed.

Should be back in the next hour or so.

Headgehog
    Participant

Yea just ignore my post in the mod forums, except for the bottom. By the way, I love running the angst forum now. Just remember Murphy’s 2nd law, things are never so bad that they can’t get worse.

Anonymous

Oki. I think I’ve recovered most of the stuff that was lost.

If anyone has noticed something missing, perhaps you could leave me a message and I’ll get on with it in the morning. – Just of to see Lord of the Rings!!

Headgehog
    Participant

okay scratch my last post here.

• B5 episode forum should exist
    • You don’t have the angst forum up, instead you access it via the SG1 last post thingy (technical terminology of course)
    • SG1 can only be accessed by clicking on SG1 forum from a specified link
    • Jacha and Necro are mods again?

LOTR was excellent, I’ll post more inthe other thread, you’ll certainly enjoy it; especially after the headache the sadboard is giving you.

Anonymous

Oki

I think I’ve managed to put the Angst and the Stargate forums the right way round ๐Ÿ™‚

{That was fun, it suddenly seemed like all SG1 fans were really upset ๐Ÿ™‚ }

I think everything is back to normal now – hope so

Oh, one final thing. FX, Jason… Thanks for the calls ๐Ÿ™‚ Yer real pals!

[ 23-12-2001: Message edited by: FX ]

Anonymous

that is great that the bb is getting so busy but that sucks that it cause things to go all wonky glad you got things worked out sadgeezer

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Oki

Oh, one final thing. FX, Jason… Thanks for the calls ๐Ÿ™‚ Yer real pals!

[ 23-12-2001: Message edited by: FX ]

hey, no problem i was just taking time out between cleaning and shopping and there was no place to play hope your hangover wasn’t too bad…love fx

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    that is great that the bb is getting so busy but that sucks that it cause things to go all wonky glad you got things worked out sadgeezer

Well Mary, it’s getting very tiresome! I’m spending a lot of time nowadays firefighting (fixing server problems or problems casued by the server). It’s getting to the stage where the whole bloddy thing is no fun anymore

BUT. I’ve been setting up a new intranet server for a work client and found some new techniques and software that might be the answer to a lot of the problems.

I think that over the next few months, I’ll be gradually switching from the system that you know now to a new one written in PHP4. It’s a lot faster, more robust and VERY easy for you all to interact. I think that database driven websites are the future nowadays and I should keep up with the times.

I’m currently discussing the development of a new system with the moderators (it’s their site too!) and will make an announcement in a few weeks about new features and development specs.

Anonymous

Erm I should say that I fully intend to keep the same (or very similar) look and feel. It wont be drastically different, just not so problematic.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer, but maybe FX said part of this:
    I think I’ve managed to put the Angst and the Stargate forums the right way round ๐Ÿ™‚

{That was fun, it suddenly seemed like all SG1 fans were really upset ๐Ÿ™‚ }

The first thing I noticed was, “Wow, over two hundred new posts in like 2 hours, when did my forum becomes so popular” Then I thought “Wow all of these are off topic and rants. insert scifi.com joke here I’m gonna be pushing move topic a lot! Oh ****! This isn’t even my forum” Granted this all took place over 2.5 sec but it was still a cool feeling to initially see all the “new” posts.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.