What about a 790 toy?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx What about a 790 toy?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Everyone else gets a doll, including thefrey. But what about 790!?

I would love to see a 790 head toy that did nothing but insult you all day long for not being Xev or Kai. Just push a button to get some abuse. If Jay and Silent Bob can get their own talking dolls, why not a talking 790?

Have it say stuff like…

“Go ahead, kill yourself, see if i care”
    “Put me down your heathen!”
    “I dont care, and to prove it, please shoot yourself immediatly”
    “Shake your lilly white ass for me!”
    “Cram it needledick!”
    “Was I talking to you?”

Or you can just have it fall in love with you and totally kiss your ass all day long, but to be honest, i prefer to have an abusive 790 toy. 30$ American? Id pay for that. The non-abusive 790 would sell well on Valentines day.

[ 27-03-2002: Message edited by: Evil_Lister ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

790 has had a lot of good lines.

“Zev of B3K, don’t leave me. No one will ever worship you like I do.”
    “I’m with you, Zev.”
    “Don’t you even think about it, fugitive! She’s my woman.”
    “Oh, bosom of electrical delight…!”
    “The man is an idiot.”
    “Boxes, baby.”
    “Did you hurt yourself, love gunk?”
    “Zev, Zev, Zev, Zev, Zev, Zev, Zev, Zev. Have you seen my Zev?”
    “This is the happiest moment of my existence!”
    “No sign of the dead one, sweet one”
    “Bliss to the power of bliss times bliss, I live again!”
    “Who cares?”
    “Oh, horror! It touches my beloved.”
    “You’re a man? That’s news.”
    “As you wish, luscious dish.”
    “I only say these things because I’m crazy about you.”
    “And you call yourself an assassin!”
    “Please, I’m concentrating!”
    “Eye’s like jewels, skin sublime, Zev was the Zeviest of all time!”
    “You give carbon molecules a bad name.”
    “I have a bad feeling about this.”
    “You may think that…”
    “Put me down, you irritating, self-righteous, manipulative, pseudo-religious charlatan!”
    “I would like to point out that for Stanley Tweedle, being brain-dead is not a particularly significant change of state from normal.”
    “Oh, Stan. I’m armed.”
    “I fight for Xev.”
    “Oh, Xev! Oh, darling Xev, I’ve failed you. The robot head who loves you has let you down!”
    “Yo’ mama.”
    “This is getting stupid.”

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

[ 27-03-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Evil_Lister:
    Everyone else gets a doll, including thefrey. But what about 790!?

I would love to see a 790 head toy that did nothing but insult you all day long for not being Xev or Kai. Just push a button to get some abuse. If Jay and Silent Bob can get their own talking dolls, why not a talking 790?

Have it say stuff like…

“Go ahead, kill yourself, see if i care”
    “Put me down your heathen!”
    “I dont care, and to prove it, please shoot yourself immediatly”
    “Shake your lilly white ass for me!”
    “Cram it needledick!”
    “Was I talking to you?”

Or you can just have it fall in love with you and totally kiss your ass all day long, but to be honest, i prefer to have an abusive 790 toy. 30$ American? Id pay for that. The non-abusive 790 would sell well on Valentines day.

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!

However, I think something like that would sell for no less than $50(US), if it were mass-produced. But I doubt that it would be mass-produced. I can see how it might be custom-built for expensive collectors. Kind of like those custom-made realistic-looking light sabers that I’ve seen in the past. But a complete b@stard robot head would be alot more fun.

First of all, I say it should have personality settings: Kai, Zev/Xev, and “you”.

It should also have a few talk buttons such as Worship, Insult, Joy, and Despair. Each talk button would have a set of randomly played messages based on each personality setting.

The switches and buttons should be placed on the bottom of the back of the head so they can be accessed when you hold it in your arm or when you place it on a table.

It would be REALLY cool if you could hook it up to a computer network and reprogram it.

Oh boy, I really love this idea the more I think about it! I’m starting to think about how I could build one myself! It might be possible to sample 790’s voice from all the episodes, but it would be much better to have Jeffrey Hirschfield do the voices and the lips specially for the toy.

I really do think that such a toy could be possible. It might have to be a “kit” that you would have to assemble (laptop computer not included). If the screen from a laptop computer was detached, it could be installed under the surface of the face. Only parts of the screen would be visible through the mouth and eye sockets. The motherboard, CPU, and hard drive of the toy could easily fit inside the head’s casing.

So let’s take inventory of such a kit:

* 2 or 3 plastic and/or metal moulded casing pieces

* small stereo speakers with standard plug for connection to laptop CPU

* parts for panel of switches and buttons that connect to the parallel port(?) of the laptop CPU

* CD-ROM with 790 program, animation, sound samples, and instruction manual

I don’t know much about programming or engineering, but I think that such a kit might be easy enough for me to assemble. Granted that I have good instructions!

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

Anonymous

Jeff H was selling 790 stuff on Ebay a few months ago. I was waiting for him to put up the actual heads Got a pretty penny waiting if he does

Anonymous

It would be REALLY cool if you could hook it up to a computer network and reprogram it.

Exactly! Flashcard memory is cheap and getting cheaper every month. To re-program it wouldnt be that difficult for an end user.

it would be much better to have Jeffrey Hirschfield do the voices and the lips specially for the toy.

Totally! Jeff has a twisted mind, he can add his own one-liners and zingers on the fly.

quote:

* small stereo speakers with standard plug for connection to laptop CPU

Dont need stereo, mono would do just fine.

* parts for panel of switches and buttons that connect to the parallel port(?) of the laptop CPU

USB is easier to access, but serial ports are cheaper and more common on mini-motherboards.

* CD-ROM with 790 program, animation, sound samples, and instruction manual

Well, it doesnt need to have animated eyes or mouth. You need LCD screens for that, which would drive up the price. But a CD-ROM instruction and sound samples would lower the cost (no need to print out a manual).

I guess you could make it a model kit, thin plastic, hollow center making it lightweight and containing enough room for a microprocessor, speakers, or whatever you would need.

I don’t know much about programming or engineering, but I think that such a kit might be easy enough for me to assemble. Granted that I have good instructions!

But as a kit, it might be a might more exspensive than 50$. The biggest problem is that you would need to make your own Operating System to handle everything. Im sure Linux would be good for this, but you would have to open the source to everyone.

Id love to put this ontop of my PC while playing games, having 790 as a constant nagging machine would be hilarous. I WANT MORE ABUSE!!

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

I think Stan, Kai, and Xev have been thinking the same thing.

Flamegrape
    Participant

The first thing to do is to create a case (790 head) and I don’t know the first thing about that. I imagine that it would require sculpting it in clay first. And then make plaster molds? And then use the molds to create… what? I don’t know. Can someone point me in the right direction? I could do some research if I knew where to start. It would be useful to know how they created the original 790 robot head.

Once I had a robot head casing, I could experiment with installing screens, CPUs, and interface connections.

BTW, what I’m essentially talking about here is crafting 790 personal computer. You could hook up a mouse and keyboard to this thing, as well as your digital camera.

And then there is the heat venting problem. It might be necessary to cut out vents on the side or back. Otherwise the CPU would overheat.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

The first thing to do is to create a case (790 head) and I don’t know the first thing about that. I imagine that it would require sculpting it in clay first. And then make plaster molds?

No, super sculpy would work better, you can work it soft and then bake it and carve detail, sand, ect… Baked scuulpy, would also let you use RTV mold material. *thefrey pauses for the chours of angels that accompanies every mention of RTV*

RTV would let you use resin or some of the pourable platics to make the shell, Plaster molds don’t work worth a flip for that material.

Vents would not be a big problem, there are enough areas that could be under cut with out being noticable.

dgrequeen
    Participant

What about a Nerf 790 that you can take a bat to? Or one that yells when you throw it against a wall?

I’d rather give abuse than take it.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    No, super sculpy would work better, you can work it soft and then bake it and carve detail, sand, ect… Baked scuulpy, would also let you use RTV mold material. *thefrey pauses for the chours of angels that accompanies every mention of RTV*

RTV would let you use resin or some of the pourable platics to make the shell, Plaster molds don’t work worth a flip for that material.

Vents would not be a big problem, there are enough areas that could be under cut with out being noticable.

I just remembered that I have a bunch of supersculpy sitting unused in a box!

I could start fooling around with a sculpture, but it would help to know the exact dimensions. I suppose I can guess.

Where can I get some RTV mold material? At a typical art supply store?

Would resin be durable enough to house a CPU?

Does anyone know any technical details of the real 790 head?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Well, one thing I just figured out from looking at pictures I’ve collected of 790… he’s about the size of a head. (Duh!)

I think I could start work on a sculpture of the 790 head by using a styrofoam hairdresser’s maniquin and supersculpy.

Also, after looking at a few pics of 790, I realized that the original 790 was almost certainly manufactured using a similar molding method.

This project is starting to look “do-able”, but would take a very long time. And come to think of it, I know a few make-up and theater people who might be able to help me.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    What about a Nerf 790 that you can take a bat to? Or one that yells when you throw it against a wall?

I’d rather give abuse than take it.

ROFL!

GREAT IDEA! I LOVE IT!

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    What about a Nerf 790 that you can take a bat to? Or one that yells when you throw it against a wall?I’d rather give abuse than take it.

Hummm, what ever happen to those soft balls that says nasty things when you throw it at something?

Get one of those, ripout it’s guts to put inside of a cloth soft sculpture 790. The real fun would be if the little skwacky ball chips could be re-programed.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

I think I could start work on a sculpture of the 790 head by using a styrofoam hairdresser’s maniquin and supersculpy.

Don’t forget you will have to bake the sculpy before you can mold it. You may want to make a wire form around the styrofoam and then cut the styroam out of it, or just make a wire form approximately the right size and cover with a very fine metal screen fabric.

I would hate to think the mess you would get from out-gassing if you tried to do a ‘lost wax’ kind of bake to get the styrofoam out from under the sculpy head. And the head would have to be baked in place, the scuppy it’s self would not have the strength to hold up it’s own weight while being baked.

Anonymous

Funny reading this thread, I have been thinking the same thing for ages – wouldn’t it be great to have a 790 toy, with one of those strings in the back you can pull to make it say something? Its funny that I come in here and see I’m not the only one with such an idea!

The idea of an encased CPU sounds much more sophisticated and interesting, however. Re: sculpey – limited, long ago experience with the material makes me unsure of its long-term durability, but it would certainly be a place to start. I know that some arts/crafts shops cary a kind of acrylic resin, but a mold would probably be required.

I’ll keep watching this Board to see if/how this project progresses. If anyone needs me to follow up the acrylic resin info, contact me privately.

Allison

Anonymous

I’ve wanted to do this for SO long, and it sounds totally possible. I would think a resin cast off of a prototype would work, or a vacuformed copy. To vacuform you’d take your copy of 790 and lay a heated piece of plastic on it. A special table sucks the plastic close to the part, so it better conforms. Then, when it cools you have a 790. It would take a couple parts to make a whole 790 head. This procedure can be read about here

DH2 – Costume and Prop Building Tutorials

Look under the Stormtrooper costume. Good instructions there.

Resin can work, but it would take good facilities to make the resin void-free and lacking of bubbles and other deformities that can occur during the molding process. I’d advise attempting to contact a small company that produces models and ask them if they can do a small run of 790s. I know one company in particular that might be nice enough to do this. If we decide resin over vacuform, we should contact Scale Model Technologies[/url]

They might be able to do it. They’re rather busy, though, and mold-making supplies could drive up the cost. Especially for something as big as a 790. They are very reasonable cost-wise, and make good quality product, but it might not be a possibility.

I say we convene on a board that might be able to offer additional assistance in this. Everyone that’s interested should head over to http://www.starshipmodeler.net and go to the “Scratchbuilding” forum. I’ll start a thread there named 790 and perhaps the experienced minds there can advise us on the most convenient manor of making a 790 kit.

Also, I often check out ASAP for info on building props. Haven’t gotten any of their super-expensive kits, though, but they are experts at taking stuff and turning it into props.

Hope this info helps. I’m off to Starshipmodeler.net to start a 790 thread.

Dustin

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by CdtData:
    Resin can work, but it would take good facilities to make the resin void-free and lacking of bubbles and other deformities that can occur during the molding process. Dustin

Yes resin can be a bit of a pain, I find aluminite to be an easier resin-ish material to work with. Seems to be stronger than regular resin.

And in keeping with being on the Dark Side hobby wise. I have found that if you use a big enough bag you can put a support inside of it to keep the bag from sucking to your project. In this case milk crate perhaps, you can do a fairly decent hobbish job of debubbling the resin using a food Vac-U-Sealer. Not as good as a real vac-u-caster. But pretty darn good. Hummm, lots of volume here, might want use the slow hardening formual of the Aluminite.

[ 30-03-2002: Message edited by: thefrey ]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.