What are your 2 geekiest things?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub What are your 2 geekiest things?

• This topic has 41 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The 2 geekiest things about me are that I still own and play regularly, my coleco vision and atari 2600 (especially earthworld, Fireworld, combat ,and sneek and peek) and the fact that I think the movie geek on the show “beat the Geeks” is very, very hot. (i’d watch any movie with him, but we wouldn’t make it throiugh the opening credits lol)

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Well I dont look like a geek, more a neanderthal football head. And I play a few musical instruments and enjoy a beer at the pub. But by god I AM a geek !

I do have a rogue spear t-shirt that my geeky/techo mates wouldnt be caught dead in and my favourite PC game is about 6 years old and rarely is not installed. PLus I love sci fi, games, pc’s, books and other geeky things so if the shoe fits…..

Anonymous

Hehe well I don’t look like a geek but I am. My two geekiest things are…

1. The hi-lite of my work night is when I balance a three thousand dollar till perfectly.

2. I still prefer playing Sim City 3000 to Civ III because of very personal reasons.

-PS

DalekTek790
    Participant

ColecoVision, eh? Well, I still play the Super Nintendo I got when I turned 15. Mario forever!

I also have an estimated $300 worth of Star Wars C.C.G. cards, does that count?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Hmmm… it’s hard to say. I have many such obscure geekoid things.

* A replica of the Hellraiser Chinese puzzle box.

* A backstage pass to The Vampire Lestat‘s Halloween night concert.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I keep a Slinky by my computer. I play with it, too. What’s geekier than that?

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Trying to think of something…………

Nope I can’t

Anonymous

2 things???
    how about:
    1) porcerlain bust of Locutus of Borg
    2)soundtracks to Star Trek 2&5
    3)Number 1 Sci-Fi album
    4)drawful of Star Trek t-shirts
    5)Star Trek 30th Anniversary leather jacket
    6)2 cd’s of B5 music
    7)Thermos flask
    8)Anorak
    & countless other incriminating items.
    …or does all this just qualify me as a total sad b*****d???

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by snooklepie:
    2 things???
    how about:
    1) porcerlain bust of Locutus of Borg
    2)soundtracks to Star Trek 2&5
    3)Number 1 Sci-Fi album
    4)drawful of Star Trek t-shirts
    5)Star Trek 30th Anniversary leather jacket
    6)2 cd’s of B5 music
    7)Thermos flask
    8)Anorak
    & countless other incriminating items.
    …or does all this just qualify me as a total sad b*****d???

Well theres no beating that, if there was an award show for geekiness, you’d sweep the board!!!
    But there is a geek in all of us, and we are all closet geeks.
    I honestly can’t think of one geeky item I have in my possession, except for a large red cuddly dragon I call Eric.
    But my brother is an expert, he has Jean Luc Picards captains uniform (he actually wore it round London during a convention), and he used to go up to people he knew and say ‘There can be only one’, when he was going through his Highlander phase…now that’s geeky.
    And when we were at school, he used to hang around with all the biggest geeks, while I used to hang around with a cool black dude who was about 6’3 and called Max, and a Sly Stallone lookalike called Michael Keleher (he was Canadian).
    Funny how things turn out though, last I heard Max had been banged up for being a druglord, and Michael was in Amsterdam blowing his brains out with any illegal narcotic he could get his hands on. And I bet those geeks my brother hung around with are all company directors by now!!!
    Squishy

Hollydays
    Participant

hmmm, I don’t have any ST stuff to incriminate me, but I do have a couple of the characters from Beasties (Beast Wars) in my klutches…”Optimus Primal, Transform!”

I don’t think I can qualify as a true geek as I am ashamedly poor at any “real” pc game…. Which would make me a geek in the geek world I guess?

Anonymous

I don’t really have that many traditionally geeky tendencies. I have never played a role-playing game, am not really into video games, don’t consider myself a really big sci-fi or fantasy buff (with few exceptions), etc. The two things I guess that you could consider the geekiest about me is that I’m a huge champion of the comic book as valid literature (and steadfastly believe that Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis are among some of the best writers — period — of the latter half of the 20th century), and that my favorite band to ever walk the face of this puny planet is DEVO (have an autographed Energy Dome and New Traditionalist poster).

That’s it.

But it’s probably enough.

–Aleck

Anonymous

where to begin? i remember coming home from 1st or 2nd grade to watch “Star Trek” reruns. my parents were scifi fans so we also watched any scifi movie that came on the 3 channels we got in rural Illinois. the first scifi movie i can remember watching was “The Monster From Id” i am not sure if that is the correct title. in 1977(?) i waited in line with my brother and father to see “Star Wars” the line literally did go around the block! i was also reading lots of scifi and fantasy books by then. this continued throughout high school and off and on since then. i didn’t date in high school.i went out to do stuff with my best friend, Terry. we also went to junior prom, senior prom, Homecoming, and various events together. how geeky is that! he was my best buddy though, and we had alot of fun in high school. and yes we did play Dungeons and Dragons alot! i am sure if i think about it long enough i can come up with more stuff from high school, but in the interest of not boring peeps to death i will not! LOL
    here in the present the geekiest things that i have are, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles memorabilia- action figures, playing card, comics, movies, etc… i even have a stuffed Raphael doll sitting on the back of my couch. my tape collection fo various scifi movies, my tape collection of B5 eps and the movies, my Lexx eps and movies on tape, my Andromeda eps on tape, my Farscape eps on tape, all 13 eps of Crusade, and my collection of scifi and fantasy books.
    hmmmm does this mean that i qualify for a nomination to be Queen of the Geeks? LOL

Anonymous

i forgot to mention my latest addition to my geekiness. i actually went to Burger King specifically to get one of those glowing goblets that they were selling for “The Lord of the Rings” movie. i got Arwen the Elven Princess.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Mary Beth:
    i was also reading lots of scifi and fantasy books by then. this continued throughout high school and off and on since then. i didn’t date in high school.i went out to do stuff with my best friend, Terry. we also went to junior prom, senior prom, Homecoming, and various events together. how geeky is that!

Oh, that’s not so unusual.

quote:

Originally posted by Mary Beth:
    here in the present the geekiest things that i have are, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles memorabilia- action figures, playing card, comics, movies, etc… i even have a stuffed Raphael doll sitting on the back of my couch.

I still have my collection of over 100 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures I bought long ago.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    my parents were scifi fans so we also watched any scifi movie that came on the 3 channels we got in rural Illinois. the first scifi movie i can remember watching was “The Monster From Id” i am not sure if that is the correct title.

This may or may not be what you remembered, but the 1956 sci-fi film Forbidden Planet features an “Id Monster” that’s created from the unconcious desires of the planet’s residents. It was invisible for the most part, but was visible as it attempted to break through an energy barrier (visible only in outlines of features, provided by animators on loan from Disney Studios).

Great movie, and has one of the best scores of any science fiction film (my faves are topped by that, tied with the scores for the original Planet of the Apes and its first sequel, Beneath the POTA).

–Aleck

Anonymous

and then there’s the things on the “must have” list…a life-size cardboard cut-out of Data, a proper klingon costume (not one of those cheapo, crappy things i always seem to see advertised), that poster out of Mulder’s office, a B5 model (complete with fibre-optics) a DS9 model (ditto), a bat’leth, the rest of the ST soundtracks, a Ranger pin, the number plate NCC 1701 for my car (i think i’ll need a lottery win to be able to get that one!!)…etc….etc…

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Snooklepie:
    and then there’s the things on the “must have” list…a life-size cardboard cut-out of Data, a proper klingon costume (not one of those cheapo, crappy things i always seem to see advertised), that poster out of Mulder’s office, a B5 model (complete with fibre-optics) a DS9 model (ditto), a bat’leth, the rest of the ST soundtracks, a Ranger pin, the number plate NCC 1701 for my car (i think i’ll need a lottery win to be able to get that one!!)…etc….etc…

There’s a place online where you can order the “I want to believe” poster. It isn’t quite the same as the one on the show (I think the company couldn’t legally reproduce the photograph in the background so they created a computer-generated facsimile), but it’s pretty neat. I’ve got one over my computer desk in my dorm.

Anonymous

oooohhh!!! where? where?

Anonymous

This may or may not be what you remembered, but the 1956 sci-fi film Forbidden Planet features an “Id Monster” that’s created from the unconcious desires of the planet’s residents. It was invisible for the most part, but was visible as it attempted to break through an energy barrier (visible only in outlines of features, provided by animators on loan from Disney Studios).

thanks Aleck! i am certain that that is the right movie! my parents thought it would give me nightmares but of course it didn’t. the only movies that give me nightmares are chick flicks. LOL

Anonymous

On the subject; the two geekiest things in my house are my Lexx collection (series 4, otherwise I wouldn’t have said it was freaky!) and, on Sunday, my cousin!

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Snooklepie:
    oooohhh!!! where? where?

http://www.allposters.com

Anonymous

Okay, I may sound like a real loser here, but I just realised I’ve reached Committed Sad Geezer status!!! I’m so happy, you have no idea…….
    Okay…breathe,,,I think I’ll be okay…..

Anonymous

congrats Nirvanah!!!!!
    and by all means please breathe! otherwise Lars may have to perform mouth to mouth resuscitation.

Anonymous

Probably my video collection (34+1 box set + 4 DVD farscape sets) and a Xev poster

Anonymous

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Kai:
    Probably my video collection (34+1 box set + 4 DVD farscape sets) and a Xev poster

I had a Xev poster, too. It hung in my room at home for a little while before my mom made me take it down. Since then I’ve created a Divine Order poster for my dorm.

Anonymous

i have thought long and hard about it and i have decided to be honest about THE geekiest thing about me. i named my son after a scifi character on a TV show. my sons name is Darien. i picked that name from the scifi show “Time Traxx” whos lead characters name was Darien Lambert. the good guy of course!

Anonymous

Oh MB you think that is bad I named my cat Squish and no one besides my brother knows why. I wanted to name my new dog Brunnis and then I wanted a second dog just so I could name it Brunnis II. However I will say you know you have gone to far when you name your first born His Divine Shadow.

-SM

mandara k
    Participant

carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

I say COOOOOOOLLLL!!! Can we book him for parties? Ozzie Osborne eat your heart out; we’ll get a real live geek!!!!!

A person often of intellectual bent who is disapproved of.

And what is wrong with that? At least they can have a decent conversation.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mandara K

mandara k
    Participant

OOps I cut off the top! And the answer is…. the definition of a geek in Merriam Webster’s dictionary

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    I keep a Slinky by my computer. I play with it, too. What’s geekier than that?

I have TWO, one noisy one I use to annoy my cubical mates and a really long one that is a bit quieter. Oh and I have my Rosie the Robot and Intel bunny man thingies

Anonymous

This isn’t very geeky, but next to my computer I have two little basketballs with legs that you wind up and they run along… they crack me up so much…..
    But I have almost twenty four hours of Red Dwarf episodes taped off the TV, twelve Star tRek Voyager novels, the soundtrack to Mary Poppins (!) , and I have the videotape of Flash Gordon overdue from the store…

Plus lots of troll dolls

Plus a collection of dragons

Plus twenty-two of the Discworld books

Plus Xena Warrior Princess novels

Plus a 3D apple jigsaw

Plus I’m only sixteen, so I’ve got my entrie life ahead of me to be geeky….

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Yvonne McGruder:
    This isn’t very geeky, but next to my computer I have two little basketballs with legs that you wind up and they run along…

Okay, I have a plastic Koopa Paratroopa next to my computer. beat that!

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790

Anonymous

I can beat that DalekTek…………….
    I have a plaster papa smurf figurine that I painted and dressed to look like Frank from Rocky Horror Picture show.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Nirvanah Rimmer:
    I can beat that DalekTek…………….
    I have a plaster papa smurf figurine that I painted and dressed to look like Frank from Rocky Horror Picture show.

“How peculiar.”

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Deliena
    Participant

My two geekiest things are both memories – and they both involve Star Wars.

When the revamped version came out at the cinema I was so excited I couldn’t sleep the night before, so I got to the cinema an hour and a half early. I had brought a book (one of the Start Wars novels), so I sat and read that, and when the other people started arriving I was trading Star Wars Tazos with a 7 year old boy!

The second one is going to see Episode One at a not so local multiplex ( I used to live in Deepest Darkest Somerset ). All the way down in the car my friend and I were chanting “Star Wars, Star Wars” (this was a 2 hour drive btw – the driver was not happy). When we came out we went straight to Toys-R-Us and promptly began battling in the aisles with LightSabers.

In fact, we made such a nuisance of ourselves that we got asked to leave the store, and they took our photos so that they could enforce the ‘BAN FOR LIFE’ that they gave us!!

I am not sure whether that qualifies as geeky, sad or just stupid… I guess I will let my fellow SadGeezers judge.

I put myself in your hands – please be gentle.

Deliena

Anonymous

i know this isn’t quite the same, but i have a memory of when i was about 8-9 yrs old, and being on holiday on my birthday. for a treat, mum & dad took me to the cinema. i distinctly remember mum asking me if i wanted to see Snow White & the Seven Dwarves,and me insisting, rather loudly, that i DID NOT want to see Snow White, I wanted to see ‘Moonraker’. i won….

oh, and just to prove my ‘geek’ status, i have studied Electronic Engineering, & am now studying with the OU towards a Physics Degree ….and i’ve also developed a taste for Earl Grey…

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Deliena:
    The second one is going to see Episode One at a not so local multiplex ( I used to live in Deepest Darkest Somerset ). All the way down in the car my friend and I were chanting “Star Wars, Star Wars” (this was a 2 hour drive btw – the driver was not happy). When we came out we went straight to Toys-R-Us and promptly began battling in the aisles with LightSabers.

In fact, we made such a nuisance of ourselves that we got asked to leave the store, and they took our photos so that they could enforce the ‘BAN FOR LIFE’ that they gave us!!

I am not sure whether that qualifies as geeky, sad or just stupid… I guess I will let my fellow SadGeezers judge.

I put myself in your hands – please be gentle.

Funny. I have an Episode I story too, but I probably shouldn’t tell it because it’s definate source material for people wanting to make fun of me.

Deliena
    Participant

Aww go on – tell yer story, we’re all friends here (and let’s face it – I managed to provide you all with blackmail material on me!)

You have to put in mind the backdrop to my story is that I am a 28 year old, mother of one (although my daughter did not witness my degradation in Toys-R-Us) and that my co-fighter is a 35 year old car sales man with 2 kids…. if only they knew how avant guarde their parents were!

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Deliena:
    Aww go on – tell yer story, we’re all friends here (and let’s face it – I managed to provide you all with blackmail material on me!)

Okay, but I still have a feeling I’m going to end up regretting this.

In May of 1999 (I was a sophomore in high school at the time) I got two advance tickets to Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. I was going to ask a girl I liked to go to see it with me. But I was too scared to ask her.

So anyway, to make a long story short, I didn’t see it ’til June.

Deliena
    Participant

Aww that is so cute – I thought I was the only one that does stuff like that… it’s such a relief!

Anonymous

ok this thread is at 40 posts so i need to lock it and start a new thread. please continue in the new thread.

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.