What do you want to read (Insperation required)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff What do you want to read (Insperation required)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

I need help. A few weeks ago I started writing my first novel. I ahve had the idea for some time but never got round to putting finger to keyboard. The first chapter rolled off quite easily although it needs the rough edges filing off and some parts fleshing out, it says what I wnat it to say. The second chapter is just not working. I know where I want the story to go but I keep getting bogged down in technicalities and although I have found researching RAM jets and RAIR propulsion systems fasinating, it could bore the pants off any readers, if anyone ever reads it. 🙂

The question before the asembled throng is: What type of sci-fi turns you on?
    a) The hard stuff with the accent on science, in the mode of Larry Niven, Issac Asimov or Robert Heinlin
    B) Accent on the fiction where you take FTL travel as read, no need for explanations like BSG, Star Wars et al
    c) Suspend reality totally as long as the story works like Lexx and Farscape.

All opinions welcome.

kokopelli
    Participant

InKorrect spelling right real turns me on.

If you got punch pizazz style pinache it might work maybe.
    Shoot the reader in the first sentence and hang em high.
    God forgives because the reader don’t.

Keep your bowels open and yer books dry.
    Don’t count your novels before they hatch.
    A spell check in time saves nine rejections.
    Find an spirit editor to guide you in a dream.
    I’m not too good in the advice department.
    I like any kind of fantasy or science fiction so long as it’s really really good.
    I’m kinda indiscriminate.

corvina
    Participant

learn to dream lucidly…. weird stuff believe me I once dreamt I was in the old standard alien abduction scenario ..on the examination couch..ha ha I don’t believe all that abduction stuff for one second , but this dream sure put the shits up me! It was that real..now that gets me thinking about a short story…Shame I can’t write t’save me life..but buy an old golfball type writer and junk the processor…

Good luck

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

No problem with the dreaming, that where the ideas came from in the first place but I have been searching for a solid foundation for the dreams to anchor to.

As kokopelli succinctly pointed out: I can’t spell to save my life so the typewriter is a non starter, I have a duty to save the trees! 😆 plus, chaper 1 has been though 2 rewirites already.

I am hoping to post the rough draft of Chapter 1 in the Original Fiction section and open it up for comments. All I need is just a little more vodka before I push the ‘submit’ button. 😳

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Hey, 7th_Dizbuster:

Here’s my cheap ass advice….just keep writing. Write out as many ideas as you get for where the story can go.
    Don’t write for an audience, the best writing you are going to do is if you do it for yourself first.

No matter how Chapter 2 turns out, you may change it ten times by the time you’ve written Ch. 10….and don’t get bogged down by rewriting now…get the ideas of your story down first, then go back to edit…you can get stuck editing your first chapeters and never finish the book, ever.

So just write my little padawan!!! Write!!! (insert evil laughter here)

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

So just write my little padawan!!! Write!!! (insert evil laughter here)

I am just recovering from a severe attack of Denobian Swamp Fever brought on by a dodgy aardvark burger in my local hostelry which has turned half my brain to mush and sautéed the other half to serve as the main course of a dinner party to all its friends.

I expect to be back on track next week after strict regime of of hot oil massages and vodka inhalers over the weekend.

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    7th_Dizbuster wrote:

The question before the asembled throng is: What type of sci-fi turns you on?
    a) The hard stuff with the accent on science, in the mode of Larry Niven, Issac Asimov or Robert Heinlin
    B) Accent on the fiction where you take FTL travel as read, no need for explanations like BSG, Star Wars et al
    c) Suspend reality totally as long as the story works like Lexx and Farscape.

All opinions welcome.

To answer you question, I would say B) and C), but not A).

I am not opposed to the “hard” sci-fi, I just have not taken the time to read it and the visual stuff is few and far between. My reading actually consists of non-fiction works- history, business, instructional, or hobby-related stuff.

Anyway, best of luck on your efforts. I can’t recall from the thread but will you be posting the fruits of your labor here for our reading pleasure?

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

I have a rough draft of chapter 1 ready which I am going to post here for comments. This is the first piece of creative writing (other than my tax forms) that I have done for nearly 30 years so I need to be loaded on vodka before pushing that [Submit] button. 😳

Just need to shake of the final effects from the dodgy aardvark burger that laid me low last week, then I can drink alcohol again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.