What have computers driven you to?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub What have computers driven you to?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

I love the dell commerical where the guy and his two kids kidnap the Circuit City computer dude at closing time. They drag him home (not a word to your mother!) to make an error screen go away forever.

What have computers driven you to?

Me? I had to get a rolling chair. so when the computer really drove me crazy, I would kick to the center of the room and screaming and beating my knees. (Hey back in the olden days keyboards were expensive, you didn’t beat them) Sometimes theSpouse would come running thinking I had hurt myself, or was being attacked by a giant mutant dust bunny.

Anonymous

well, i tend to end up stopping up way past my bed time….though perhaps that’s more to do with forums like this!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    that’s why i’ve not been around so much. it was getting silly, and i was ending up like a zombie the next day….

i had a pain-in-the-rear registry entry once that prevented me from starting Windows straight up. ended up sorting it the hard way, by going into my Registry Editor and searching through every single entry to find the culprit. strangely satisfying, pressing ‘Delete’…. ๐Ÿ™‚ nearly as good as a choccie fix!!!

aquabloodstone
    Participant

I haven’t been driven to much of anything yet, but I wait with baited breath for the day this computer is replaced with a new one so I can hit the hard drive with a hammer..is that a little extreme? After all, the experts recommend that as a way to protect your personal data, but must confess that I just want to beat the damn thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

๐Ÿ™

Just got a new computer for work, a DELL Poweredge Server. It makes SOOO much noise I can hardly think. I’ve had to take it home to configure it (hence not been on the site for a day or two).All I have to do to get rid of it is install Linux, MySQL, PHP and phpMyAdmin and guess what, I’ve never used Linux before. :/

Anonymous

I’m not sure I should say anything, as the statute of limitations may not have run out yet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Buk
    Participant

It seems that my computer is running my life now. I use it when I should be sleeping, eating, fornicating, or going outside. Worse yet is that it seems to multiply and cost me money. I now have 5 computers in my house (3 working) and I spend thousands of dollars every year to keep everything new and updated (every year my tax refund check goes to newegg.com). I lust after new motherboards, videocards, RAM, and the fastest processors like a stalker after Jody Foster. I should be asleep right now but I’m waiting on Fedex to bring my new CD burner ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous
    SadGeezer wrote:

๐Ÿ™

Just got a new computer for work, a DELL Poweredge Server. It makes SOOO much noise I can hardly think. I’ve had to take it home to configure it (hence not been on the site for a day or two).All I have to do to get rid of it is install Linux, MySQL, PHP and phpMyAdmin and guess what, I’ve never used Linux before. :/

http://theregister.co.uk/content/61/35086.html

๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Anonymous

Hey sadgeezer, Linux rocks

And the worst thing that heppened to my computer was somehow putting a DDR module in the wrong way round and frying the module ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Rag
    Participant

It isn’t the computers as much as some of the muppets they let drive them, that makes me cry. In my time working with computers (training, fixing n stuff) I have actually witnessed these acts of genius…

Someone holdin up the mouse like a TV remote, pointing at the sceen and clicking the buttons, all the while wondering why nothing was happening.

Someone holding the mouse vertically and waving it across in front of the screen, cursing the little arrow for just sitting there.

And my personal favourite… Having someone call out in a training session, “Where’s the lower case keyboard?”.

Well, there’s nowt as queer as folk.

btw. Hi all, I’m back.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

The computer finally pushed too far…Our new on arrived today. As childish or silly as it may sound, I get to destroy the computer after I type these words and I am going to enjoy every moment. May we all someday be able to take out our frustrations on computers in a barbaric arena. ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

Well being on a computer course, that probably wouldn’t be a good solution for me. My tricj is to work in a computer lab in the small hours of the morning and start swearing at the computer at the top of my voice, such as:

F****** Java, why the F*** don’t you F****** compile

and so on ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

theFrey
    Participant

theFather who of course came late to computing had a love hate relationship with them.

He was constantly messing his up, making his tool bar disappear, or changing his settings somehow. (hey, I never touched the thing, it just doesn’t work now.) He also had a program which use to save a game he was playing every five minutes in a new file. Needless to say after a few months of constant play, his hard drive would be packed. We wiped and reloaded his first system about three times.

Now mind you, he could care less about computers and didn’t care if he ever saw one again.

Once when his comp needed reloaded to clean it out and fix the accumulated errors I was out of pocket for a week or so. No prob he says. But after about 10 days I got a call from theBrother…. Who suggested that I stop what I was doing and come fix the darn thing.

It seems that since it didn’t work, theFather decided it needed tossed and so he disconnected it, wrapped all the cords neatly, and set it beside the trash in the kitchen. This was a bit surprising for a guy who could care less, and even more surprising to theBrother since it was his spare computer and did not belong to theFather. ๐Ÿ™‚

I did get it back up again before trash day, and theFather went on to torture it for a couple more years before it died for good.

Anonymous

Now I do not ever condone computer abuse, well physical abuse anyway.

Verbally abusing the computer, well that is just part of working, besides, when you have lost 3 hours work to a Blue Screen Of Death, you can get quite annoyed

(btw, anyone like the new avatar?)

theFrey
    Participant

sweetie, I am old and blind-ish, what is it? Got a bigger copy?

Fatguy
    Participant

insomnia…..

Last weekend I spent the whole time in front of the computer. I spent possibly 2 to 3 hours way from it that weekend – apart from sleeping…..

I is sad…..

bambooshoot
    Participant

My computer has driven me to coffee. Lots of it. And other stuff…

it also makes me kill and kill again

Bambooshoot ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜†

Too subtle?

Anonymous

My avatar was based on a rather large image so here is a bigger copy:

It is an old (and I mean really old) disk drive, the kind of drive that was a freestanding unit and had a tendancy to “walk” accross rooms if they access data in the right (or wrong) way, after all, they were like washing machines minus the concrete brick.

(there are tales of hackers writing search programs that could induce walking and would hold disk races ๐Ÿ˜† )

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.