What Is Going On Here!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub What Is Going On Here!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Fatguy
    Participant

I can’t believe it…..24 hours with not one single post on the Sadboard? ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ Ok, maybe I am living on this computer lately, but with close to 3,000 members – someone should be able to post something….. Here Sadgeezer sweats blood to make a place for us sci-fi devotes to enjoy ourselves and what….. Maybe the hits are up in other areas, maybe the Sadboard was “odd man out”. Then again I am the only member at Sadgeezers right now…..

bonnee
    Participant

Thanks for the live report Fatguy. ๐Ÿ˜€

(for the record, 2,735.6 members are really just me in disguise replicating at an alarming rate. Sadboard is just a simulated reality, and we are agents of the matrix).

Anonymous

Or SadBOARD is going through one of the ose phases where it’s members have lots of real life stuff to do. For the moment I guess, we have to rely on the Lurkers ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

i feel kinda bad about the not posting recently but as sad said life and things have got in the way- plus im most often a lurker so it looks worse when i havent been on in a while.

Anonymous

It’s a major holiday here in the states.

Translation for Fatguy:

It’s “Thanksgiving” week in the United States here. You know the holiday where we celebrate our conquering of other Nations by eating babies and sacrificing kittens to the god Amhud Rhat.

Oddly enough they even close down the school system and most workplaces for this. Many State and Federal workers get a 4 day paid holiday, a nice break from being whipped while pumping the bellows for the rest of the U.S.

Then as a finale, most families gather together and after stuffing themselves silly, they hang lights and decorations; each individual light symbolic for a person they want to piss off this coming year. Then the adults tuck the wee ones into bed and we get shit-faced drunk while watching American Football and old John Wayne movies in our ceremonial wear: Cowboy Hats and Boots. Then as the moon hits it’s zenith, we strip naked and go outside and howl at the sky.

I’d figure your website had covered this by now!

nursewhen
    Participant

Thanks for that LexxLurker, I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself.
    ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

Double-L is absolutely right. Except on the “stripping naked and howling at the sky” bit. That’s just a Los Angeles-based thing. You know those Californians. Crazy bunch of kids.

In the rest of the country, we take our firearms outside and attempt to shoot down the moon. Well, we *do* take our pants off while we do it, but we continue to wear the cowboy boots.

Fatguy
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

Translation for Fatguy:

It’s “Thanksgiving” week in the United States here. You know the holiday where we celebrate our conquering of other Nations by eating babies and sacrificing kittens to the god Spathiwa.

Oddly enough they even close down the school system and most workplaces for this. Many State and Federal workers get a 4 day paid holiday, a nice break from being whipped while pumping the bellows for the rest of the U.S.

Then as a finale, most families gather together and after stuffing themselves silly, they hang lights and decorations; each individual light symbolic for a person they want to piss off this coming year. Then the adults tuck the wee ones into bed and we get *&^%-faced drunk while watching American Football and old John Wayne movies in our ceremonial wear: Cowboy Hats and Boots. Then as the moon hits it’s zenith, we strip naked and go outside and howl at the sky.

Well…..some of us are not American….. We had our Thanksgiving last month and I forgot when you guys had yours….. Did you even know that we had Thanksgiving last month? Ok, I am being a bit snippy, but it seems that Americans think their lives and holidays should be common knowledge to all…..but what do you know of others? This is just something that constantly rubs us guys up north the wrong way and hell I’m telling you guys now. Perhaps it is just unconscious on your part, so don’t take it the wrong way. If this post bothers you…..then you will know how we feel…..

Fatguy
    Participant

One other thing….. It has been almost a year since I gave up television, now replaced by the internet. War on terror…..what is that? Fear…..what is there to be afraid of? Try to divorce yourself from that political propaganda that saturates your brains all the time, and you will see a new reality.

Headgehog
    Participant
    Fatguy wrote:

One other thing….. It has been almost a year since I gave up television, now replaced by the internet. War on terror…..what is that? Fear…..what is there to be afraid of? Try to divorce yourself from that political propaganda that saturates your brains all the time, and you will see a new reality.

I’m not sure what this has to do with Thanksgiving or a lull in SadBoard posts, furthermore its not even funny in the classic SadBoard zaniness. Nor can I grasp why you inevitably kill any thread you touch with a completely off topic political statement. If you want to talk politics, start a new thread, in the appropriate forum. Otherwise stay on topic. THIS IS YOUR WARNING! Additionally, if you want to contest this, do NOT disrupt this thread further by commenting here, send me a PM.
    End of discussion.

Ok, I am being a bit snippy, but it seems that Americans think their lives and holidays should be common knowledge to all…..but what do you know of others? This is just something that constantly rubs us guys up north the wrong way and hell I’m telling you guys now. Perhaps it is just unconscious on your part, so don’t take it the wrong way.

No offense taken. Many Americans know nothing of the international world, and I doubt the average American could name two Canadian provinces. 70% of all American’s don’t know that New Mexico is a state! and only 2/3 can find the US on a world map.

However find it odd that Thanksgiving would not be more commonly known, just for the sheer fact that is starts the Christmas shopping season. Most of us on the board hail from western societies where it becomes quickly evident that the holiday shopping mayhem has begun.

Finally EVERY wall and “off the wall” calendar I’ve looked at in the last 5 years has been produced for English speaking countries. e.g. US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. As such, the holidays for all those countries are all listed (according to my kitchen calendar, Sunday is St. Andrews Day in Scotland). This implies that these calendars are sold in said countries. Therefore all of citizens in those countries have that same “What the #$%^ is ……… Day” thought. As for Thanksgiving; just from global American TV broadcasts one could easily assume what Thanksgiving is, and its cultural severity.

The week before Thanksgiving has seen a major decrease in board posts, for as long as I’ve been here (2000). The traffic is likewise down for other major holidays, like Christmas.

Aleck: In Philly we also get niked and howl at the moon. LL sent that tradition out to LA with him. He is a missionary on behave of the mighty cheese-steak.

Bonnee: Be careful, the infamous “they” have been known to knock off anyone who knows too much. They’ll track down all 2,969.35*pi incarnations and send them all to “the place”

theFrey
    Participant

Anzac Day is held on 25 April each year to commemorate Australians and New Zealanders killed in war and to honour returned servicemen and women. The ceremony itself has been continually adapted to the times, but has also steadily acquired extra layers of symbolism and meaning.

Origins – ANZAC is the acronym for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, the formation created in December 1914 by grouping the Australian Imperial Force and New Zealand Expeditionary Force stationed in Egypt under the command of Lieutenant-General William Birdwood. Initially the term ‘Australasian Corps’ had been mooted for this force, but there was a reluctance among both Australians and New Zealanders to lose their separate identities completely.

And no, I did not know this off the top of my head. ;D Isn’t the internet wonderful?

pet
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

Translation for Fatguy:

It’s “Thanksgiving” week in the United States here. You know the holiday where we celebrate our conquering of other Nations by eating babies and sacrificing kittens to the god Spathiwa.

Then as a finale, most families gather together and after stuffing themselves silly, they hang lights and decorations; each individual light symbolic for a person they want to piss off this coming year. Then the adults tuck the wee ones into bed and we get *&^%-faced drunk while watching American Football and old John Wayne movies in our ceremonial wear: Cowboy Hats and Boots. Then as the moon hits it’s zenith, we strip naked and go outside and howl at the sky.

Really? That’s odd… out here in the Dakotas its the adults who get into bed after sending the wee ones out to drink and drive and collect cans to make meth to sell for Christmas cash. But we do shag with John Wayne collectible plates watching over us.

With our boots on, of course, screaming out “Don’t tread on me!”. We are already naked for the ritual howl to Spathiwa, but they spell it “Spathoowa” here. (The school system ranks last in the nation.)

You should have seen how we did it when I lived in NY! Good times!

Pet ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.