What is Lyekka saying, anyway?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx What is Lyekka saying, anyway?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Really, usually I have no problems deciphering accents. But there is one line in 2.20 — The End of the Universe that gets me every time I watch it.
    Lyekka comes into Mantrid’s machine and this exchange takes place…
    MANTRID: “How did you get in here?”
    LYEKKA: “Through the keyhole. Like a…”

WHAT IS SHE SAYING THERE? Is it “smoochie cat?” Because that’s what *I’m* hearing, but I may be losing my mind. I’ve tried “sneaky,” but that doesn’t sound right at all, and cats don’t come through keyholes anyway! What is going on here???

–Aleck (slowly losing it)

Anonymous

Yeah!! What the hell is Lyekka saying??
    I’m sure I wondered when I first watched 2.20 but never thought anything of it, now its REALLY bugging me!!
    Don’t worry Aleck! It DOES sound like “smoochie cat” to me too! She must be saying sneaky, since when are cats “smoochie” anyway?

——————
    “Prick your finger it is done. The moon has now eclipsed the sun. The angel has spread it’s wings, the time has come for better things…”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    Really, usually I have no problems deciphering accents. But there is one line in 2.20 — The End of the Universe that gets me every time I watch it.
    Lyekka comes into Mantrid’s machine and this exchange takes place…
    MANTRID: “How did you get in here?”
    LYEKKA: “Through the keyhole. Like a…”

WHAT IS SHE SAYING THERE? Is it “smoochie cat?” Because that’s what *I’m* hearing, but I may be losing my mind. I’ve tried “sneaky,” but that doesn’t sound right at all, and cats don’t come through keyholes anyway! What is going on here???

–Aleck (slowly losing it)

are they closed captioned? If they are, there’s a good way of figuring it out. I’ve used that method in a few cases, and even if you don’t get the exact lines (there are always a few discrepancies) you should at least be able to find out what she’s saying there.

——————
    “Reality continues to ruin my life.” – Calvin and Hobbes

Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

trillian
    Participant

If your watching a tape off of Sci Fi, then it should be closed captioned. Although, some dialogue being said isn’t captioned, most of it is.

I’m wishing I had taped that episode, drat.

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by trillian:
    If your watching a tape off of Sci Fi, then it should be closed captioned. Although, some dialogue being said isn’t captioned, most of it is.

I’m wishing I had taped that episode, drat.

Ahhh, I haven’t been watching the Sci Fi tape of it. I’ve been watching the screener from work. I know I have it taped off Sci Fi at home *somewhere*, but I’ll just have to dig. Didn’t think about looking at the closed-captioning. Thanks!
    Actually, though, I don’t put much faith in closed-captioning when it comes to hard-to-understand dialogue. For example, I’ve got The Young Ones on video, and The Damned show up to perform the song “Nasty” during the episode of the same name, and the captions get the lyrics *completely* wrong, as well as several dialogue segments in the rest of the episodes.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

For example, I’ve got The Young Ones on video, and The Damned show up to perform the song “Nasty” during the episode of the same name, and the captions get the lyrics *completely* wrong, as well as several dialogue segments in the rest of the episodes.

–Aleck

the young ones! gawd i loved that you are taking me back to my misspent youth as an engineer in the california desert! every time i here an english guy who’s l’s sound like r’s i think of rick the peoples’ poet! and how about the garden gnome episode when they tell vivien’s conscience to pipe down cause they’re trying to sleep! ahhh, the fabulous eighties, going to have to go listen to my pil and psychedelic furs now oh, and big audio dynamite!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    every time i here an english guy who’s l’s sound like r’s i think of rick the peoples’ poet!

Pollution.
    All Awound.
    Sometimes…up
    Sometimes…down.
    Pollution
    Are you coming to my town?
    Or am I coming to yours?
    Bombs.

–Aleck (More useless info per square inch than your normal human being!)

Anonymous

quote:

Pollution.
    All Awound.
    Sometimes…up
    Sometimes…down.
    Pollution
    Are you coming to my town?
    Or am I coming to yours?
    Bombs.

–Aleck (More useless info per square inch than your normal human being!)

aaacccckkkk…another eighties flashback! so who was your favorite young one…i think i favored neil the hippy myself…i am told that rick actually did a few shows in britain but i havent seen any of these guys in the last ten years or so…oh i think i saw neil in a commercial once…you know, mtv was actually kind of fun then…now they have filmic pretensions and all sorts of delusions of adequacy! by the way, regarding your trivia byline, i’m usually the first one to the center of the board in trivial pursuits, but then my friends know to start pounding me with sports and geography questions had to look up halifax in the atlas!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    aaacccckkkk…another eighties flashback! so who was your favorite young one…

Gotta say either Neil or Vyvyan.

i am told that rick actually did a few shows in britain but i havent seen any of these guys in the last ten years or so…

Actually (some of the UK folk can correct some of my info if I’m mistaken), Rik and Vyv (Rick Mayall and Adrian Edmunson) have worked pretty continuously after the Young Ones. They did a show (with Nigel “Neil” Planer) called Filthy, Rich & Catflap, did a number of guest spots on Saturday Live (as Richard and Adrian Dangerous, The Dangerous Brothers!!!), showed up on various episodes of various Blackadder series, did a show (that actually might still be on) called Bottom, and starred in a spin-off movie from that series called “Guest House Paradiso.” Rick’s also done a number of short films, Adrian wrote a book and developed a board game (both called — read this in Vyv’s voice — “How To Be a Complete *******”) Then there were the sporadic Comic Strip Presents series…oh, it goes on and on.

by the way, regarding your trivia byline, i’m usually the first one to the center of the board in trivial pursuits, but then my friends know to start pounding me with sports and geography questions

Aaah, I can see it now. One of those James Bond-ian games to the death. “It’s your move, Mr. Bond…”
    I could kick your little patinkin all the way back to wherever it is you come from, kiddo. Don’t you ever forget it.

–Aleck

trillian
    Participant

*scratches head*
    Not meaning to be a party pooper or anything, but did you ever find out what Lyekka was saying?

My curiousity is getting the better of me.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by trillian:
    *scratches head*
    Not meaning to be a party pooper or anything, but did you ever find out what Lyekka was saying?

My curiousity is getting the better of me.

You *DO TOO* mean to be a party pooper!

Seriously, though, no. I spent a considerable amount of time this week looking for my Sci Fi broadcast tape, and couldn’t find it. I know it’s around there *somewhere*, though. I shall take an exhaustive inventory of my video collection this weekend and post if I get news. But I’ve got something like 2,000 videos on the racks, and this may take a while (I should really take the time to label my tapes more clearly).

–Aleck

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

Hya,
    I’ll dig out my copy of Mantrid and try and decipher it for you [if I can]
    ta ta
    kog2x

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by kaisothergirl2:
    Hya,
    I’ll dig out my copy of Mantrid and try and decipher it for you [if I can]
    ta ta
    kog2x

Just to make sure you know what tape to dig out (I can’t find my 2.20 tape!!! I’ve looked EVERYWHERE!!!), it’s episode 2.20, “End of the Universe.” Not “Mantrid.” It’s that scene where Lyekka goes aboard Mantrid’s machine. If you have it taped off of Sci Fi, PLEASE check the closed-captioning (if you can)…It’s driving me NUTS!!!

–Aleck

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

oops :/
    actually I could remember which ep it was, just a slip of the keys.
    All of my tapes are originals [not DVD though]so it won’t be captioned. I’ll still do my best though!
    ta ta
    Kog2x

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by kaisothergirl2:
    All of my tapes are originals [not DVD though]so it won’t be captioned. I’ll still do my best though!
    ta ta
    Kog2x

Thanks. When I replied, I hadn’t seen that you were from the UK, so *of course* you wouldn’t have the captioned version from Sci Fi! (slaps head)

Thank you again!!!

–Aleck

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

Hya Aleck,
    I’ve just watched “end of the Universe”

I think that your’e right, she definitely does say
    “….through the keyhole, like a smoochie cat…”

It doesn’t make a lot of sense cats and keyholes don’t usually mix. Though when ya think about it, cats can be pretty sneaky, tenacious and smoochie when they’re in the mood for luurve
    as the tomcat said
    “….keyhole, shmeehole, there’s a lady cat about and I’m ready for luurve, puuuurrr…”

so perhaps it was an appropriate metaphor after all. You can never tell with the Beans can you?
    ta ta
    Kog2 [co owner of a sneaky tom cat]

DalekTek790
    Participant

In case anyone cares…

I wrote a humerous play about sci-fi fandom for my Advanced Public Speaking class, and I incorperated this discussion into it. Here is an excerp-

DANE: Okay, if you’re so good at hearing things, tell me what Lyekka said to Mantrid in Lexx 2.20?

SPOOK: ‘I like you’?

DANE: No! When he asks how she got in the ship, she says she went through the keyhole like a…then she says somethin’ that sounds like ‘smoochie cat.’ What is it?

SPOOK: It sounded to me like ‘squishy cat.’

DANE: Since when are cats squishy?

SPOOK: Since when are cats smoochie?

DANE: since when can cats get through keyholes?

JEREMY: Since when do spaceships have keyholes?

SPOOK: Since when does Lexx make sense? It’s just a bunch of shots of large-breasted alien women in increasingly exotic costumes. After you’ve got that, the rest just falls into place.

Just thought you guys might find it amusing (my classmates did).

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited March 23, 2001).]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    In case anyone cares…

Just thought you guys might find it amusing (my classmates did).

i like it, and you dont even have to know and love lexx to appreciate it, well done

Anonymous

I just watched The End Of The Universe with the captions turned on. Lyekka’s caption does indeed say, “…like a smoochy cat.” Odd. She lives on in Stanley’s dreams.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Neon:
    I just watched The End Of The Universe with the captions turned on. Lyekka’s caption does indeed say, “…like a smoochy cat.” Odd. She lives on in Stanley’s dreams.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

This has been driving me crazy for you-don’t-know-how long!!! At least I know that I’m not crazy.
    Wait, scratch that. At least I know I was correct in my interpretation. The jury is still out on the crazy question.

Thank you again!!!!!

–Aleck

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.