what’s in your cd player? part 2 (originally posted by snoo

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub what’s in your cd player? part 2 (originally posted by snoo

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

i will post the last few posts from the previous thread for continuity.

Squishy
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 318
    posted 12-04-2002 06:27 PM
    ——————————————————————————–
    I’ve been listening to two cd’s recently, the impressive Prodigy ‘Fat of the Land’ cd album, you may have heard some of their music in the Matrix, and I heard they doing more tracks for the next Matrix movie.
    The other is the haunting and tranquil sounds of Enigma, the combination of a male and female choir vocalists mixed with a touch of Enya and techno, is just the ultimate chill-out music for me.
    Please delete if offensive:
    Listening to this while smoking a spliff is just incredible, this music takes you places and is quite an experience.
    Squishy
    ——————–

Squishy…The silliest Cluster Lizard in the two known Universes.

Your penmanship is atrocious and you dress in the manner of a male prostitute-Mystery Men

Posts: 258 | From: Oxford, England | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged

Nirvanah Rimmer
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 333
    posted 12-04-2002 06:44 PM
    I’m offended that I don’t know what a spliff is J/k
    Alice looked and she did weep “I will not smoke that massive spliff”, The caterpillar did say “No, let us go to the planet Schmoe”
    And Schmoe they went, and Schmoe they did, and they found themselves a little kid. Who was in her group and he was crying…
    And on his butt, were two eggs, frying.
    – Mike McShane

——————–

There’s no Earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going.There’s no knowing where we’re rowing or which way the river’s flowing.Is it raining is it snowing is a hurricane a blowing?
    Not a speck of light is showing so the danger must be growing .Are the fires of hell a glowing ,is the grisly Reaper mowing? YES! The danger must be growing for the rowers keep on rowing and they’re certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing!!!! – Willy Wonka

Posts: 90 | From: my house | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged

Aleck
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 285
    posted 12-04-2002 07:00 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by Squishy:
    The other is the haunting and tranquil sounds of Enigma, the combination of a male and female choir vocalists mixed with a touch of Enya and techno, is just the ultimate chill-out music for me.
    Please delete if offensive:
    Listening to this while smoking a spliff is just incredible, this music takes you places and is quite an experience.

Well, if we’re talking music of that vintage and era, and operating a CD player under the same…erm…conditions, let me recommend something similar (and actually board-related, as it’s sci-fi inspired!).
    DR Alex Patterson’s work with The Orb remains a favorite of mine, dating a lot less than most “electronica” from that time period. I’d go with The Orb’s Adventures Beyond the Ultraverse or the follow-up U.F.Orb (try to find the 2-disc version of the latter for a bonus single — the longest one in existence, I believe — which features a 40-minute long version of the hit “Blue Room”) as good introductions. DR Alex was one of the pioneers of the “ambient house”/”chillout” arena, and the music still holds up for me. I think most of The Orb’s stuff is quite good, and that the later albums are underrated, but avoid at all costs the mid-period EP Pomme Fritz unless you need to complete a collection. While you’d think that the live album Live93 would be less impressive, some of the tracks are more effective than their studio counterparts. The 2 remix albums, Auntie Aubrey’s Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty (vols. 1 & 2) are hit-and-miss, IMHO, but they’re still worth checking out.

–Aleck

——————–

“I mock you with my monkey pants.” — Oz (Seth Green)

Posts: 433 | From: Silver Spring, MD | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

theVodkaCircle
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 504
    posted 13-04-2002 02:55 AM
    Currently in my playlist are tracks from the following bands/artists….

New Order

Peter Gabriel

Cracker

Pink Floyd

George Michael

Lapdog

Glen Phillips

Jimi Hendrix

Faith No More

Concrete Blonde

Del Amitri

The Beatles

Duran Duran

The Pretenders

Savoy Brown

Spilt Enz

Steely Dan

Steppenwolf

Stereophonics

Supertramp

The Rolling Stones

Toad The Wet Sprocket

Toto

The Wonder Stuff

Yello
    And for the local aussie talent….

SideShow

theVodkaCircle
    Burrellian

Jim Cheney

Karen Hill

Pure Drama

Rapport

[ 13-04-2002: Message edited by: theVodkaCircle ]

——————–

theVodkaCircle recording for Dungeon Records and playing at AussiePub

Posts: 69 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

theVodkaCircle
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 504
    posted 13-04-2002 03:06 AM
    ……and for ‘chemically assisted’ songs as previusly mentioned, I have a rare bootleg of Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon where the entire album was re recorded with some tracks missing, extra long solos etc. Aparrantly they got totally smashed and re recorded. Its an experience
    ——————–

theVodkaCircle recording for Dungeon Records and playing at AussiePub

Posts: 69 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:

Currently in my playlist are tracks from the following bands/artists….

New Order

Peter Gabriel

Cracker

Pink Floyd

George Michael

Lapdog

Glen Phillips

Jimi Hendrix

Faith No More

Concrete Blonde

Del Amitri

The Beatles

Duran Duran

The Pretenders

Savoy Brown

Spilt Enz

Steely Dan

Steppenwolf

Stereophonics

Supertramp

The Rolling Stones

Toad The Wet Sprocket

Toto

oh neat, another person who has toto in their play-list (i think we are a minority). I have a few of their songs from the original dune movie. They did a really good job on that i think.

cd’s currently sprawled around my living area (mostly old stuff):

Brian Eno & John Cale – wrong way up
    Brian Eno – another green world
    Brian Eno & Jah Wobble – spinner
    Brian Eno – before and after science
    Tori Amos – little earthquakes
    Tori Amos – from the choirgirl hotel
    Kate Bush – the whole story
    The Softies – winter pageant
    Urge Overkill – exit the dragon

Anonymous

So, bugblatterbeast , I’m assuming you like Brian Eno

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Nirvanah_Rimmer:
    So, bugblatterbeast , I’m assuming you like Brian Eno

i do! is it that obvious?

Anonymous

Currently in my stereo I have the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, Joe Jackson ‘Look Sharp’ and Monty Python Live at Drury Lane.
    In my Discman I have The Scared Weird Little Guys, who are a comedy duo here in Australia…

Anonymous

just done a swap! currently got-
    Slipknot-Iowa
    Staind-Break the cycle
    Andrew WK-I get wet
    Although i’ve listened to ‘Break the cycle’ many times, perhaps because of the way things are with me at the mo, i found it affected me in a way it never has done before. I listened to the likes of ‘Epiphany’ and ‘Outside’, and, (perhaps more with ‘Outside’) found myself in tears. Such is the power of the music.

mandara k
    Participant

Yup, listening to “Wild Thing” made over a zillion times by every band; and Hank Williams Sr.’s “Honky Tonkin'”

I’ve wreaked enough havoc today; it is time to retire.

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Yvonne McGruder:
    Currently in my stereo I have the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, Joe Jackson ‘Look Sharp’ and Monty Python Live at Drury Lane.
    In my Discman I have The Scared Weird Little Guys, who are a comedy duo here in Australia…

All are winners !!! Woo Hoo. Havent heard Joe Jackson for ages.

And rock on Brian Eno !! I loved his stuff with Talking Heads

Anonymous

Hmmm… let’s see what I’ve got in the CD Player at the moment…

The O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack, WIllie Nelson [unsure of which CD it is as it’s a burned CD and my father forgot to put the name on it], The Tea Party – TRIPtych, Tori Amos – Under the Pink, Secret Garden – Songs from a Secret Garden, Jim Boyd – ALTERnatives, and UNKLE – Psyence Fiction.

Oh, also, I have a mix CD playing in my CD-ROM, which has lots of different people on it [Rufus Wainwright, Jeff Buckley, Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Mandalay, Moulin Rouge Sndtrk stuff, Tricky, Patti Smith, Billie Holiday, Einsturzende Neubauten, PJ Harvey, Kristen Hersh, and Red House Painters].

Wasn’t that fun?

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Under the pink was a great album. Didn’t mind boys for pele either.

bonnee
    Participant

The new Moby album ’18’ is pretty good. Don’t be misled by the godawful single ‘we are made of stars’ though – the album is NOTHING like it. Its a very soulful record almost entirely reliant on blues and gospel samples. ’18’, then, is pretty much a reprise of Play, and some fans are disappointed by its close resemblance to it. Personally speaking, I think its a better record than Play. Whilst there aren’t any comparable highlights, it strikes me as being more consistent in quality and tone. Lovely.

And 1 Giant Leap is an often excellent ‘world’ music record, featuring artists as diverse as Baba Maal, Robbie Williams, Michael Stipe, Kurt Vonnegut, Eddie Reader, Neneh cherry and Horace Andy. Works a treat in many places. You might already know the singles ‘braided hair’ and ‘my culture’ which – again- are not exactly represntative of the treats that lie within.

bonnee
    Participant

The new Flaming Lips album ‘Yoshimi versus the Pink Robots’ is great (sci fi related!) It is possibly as good as their ‘soft bulletin’, although I’m wavering on this one. Even better – we can now supplement cdr versions with ‘mixed’ tracks off the infamous ‘zaireeka’ album – originally released as four seperate cds that needed to be played on four seperate players and through eight speakers to get the ‘full’ effect. someone has made it easier for music lovers on AG – paticular amazing is ‘riding to work in the year 2005′(sci fi related!)

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

I don’t listen to much music at home, mainly in the car. I am listening to the new (fairly new) YES album, Magnification and also Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel – Timeless Flight; some Beatles, a collection of old 70’s songs from Mott The Hoople, ACDC, Aerosmith (Rocks) and Jethro Tull. Oh yeah, and a Yello album.

It depends on what mood I’m in I guess – thank god for CD changers

Anonymous

Well, on the subject of Joe Jackson, I practically grew up on his stuff, and although it’s an odd thing for a sixteen year old to say, I think he’s a legend… Oh, and my playlist has changed, I’m listening to Frank Sinatra at the moment!

Anonymous

one of my favorites is Aqualung by Jethro Tull!

Anonymous

finally got my grubby maulers on ‘Source Tags and Codes’. it is a good album- thanks for telling me about it, bonnee! have got it in with Whitesnake- ‘1987’, and ‘The Blue Planet’ soundtrack again. don’t know about anyone else, but i tend to end up with certain cd’s more or less taking up permanent residence in my player. TBP has been spending quite a bit of time in there at the mo! chill out music….

bonnee
    Participant

I’m pleased to see you like it Snooklepie – its an excellent record. If you want to read a review that allots it 10/10, check out

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/a/and-you-will-know-us-by-the-trail-of-dead/source-tags-and-codes.shtml

Given your interest in rock, you are probably looking forward to the imminent release of the new Queens of the Stone Ages record. Apparently it is due in a month or two, although the album will be available on AG in 5 days time. If you haven’t heard their previous stuff, though, also check out their earlier record Rated R – not to mention, their previous incarnation as Kyuss. ‘Welcome to Sky Valley’ and ‘Blues for a Red Sky’ are great too.

[ 21-05-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

i’ll get my friend (who found ‘source tags & codes’ for me) to look those up for me! in the past i found out about ‘new’ bands through the rock nights i used to frequent. nowadays it’s usually through watching MTV2 here (that is, when the other half’s not here!). i’ve heard of ‘queens of the stone age’, but i couldn’t tell you what any of their songs are. i probably do know them, and like them….damn, i really ought to remember to write down things like titles and bands when i see something on MTV2 i like!! that’s how i got into ‘system of a down’ and ‘linkin park’. i finally remembered to write stuff down…

bonnee
    Participant

If you’re friend is sourcing Audiogalaxy Snooklepie, you better act fast . The RIAA has just filed a suit against them, and they are (presumably) going to follow Napster down the toilet sooner or later. Hopfully later than sooner, but AG might capitulate of their own accord. And if mp3’s are a possible source, try to get AT THE DRIVE IN’s – Relationship Of Command if you haven’t already heard/got it. Another relatively recent great rock album that is mandatory listening.

[ 26-05-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

As for me, I’m listening to: The Phantom Of The Opera Musical soundtrack, Eminem’s The Eminem Show and David Usher’s Morning Orbit (Morning Orbit is playing right now, actually). ‘Black, Black Heart’, is, in my opinion, is the best piece of music to come out of the 20th century.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Son Of Bester:
    As for me, I’m listening to: The Phantom Of The Opera Musical soundtrack, Eminem’s The Eminem Show and David Usher’s Morning Orbit (Morning Orbit is playing right now, actually). ‘Black, Black Heart’, is, in my opinion, is the best piece of music to come out of the 20th century.

Maybe you know already, but the opera bit in “black, black heart” is a sample from a song in the Leo Delibes’ opera “Lakme” called Flower duet. I think it was in a british airways commercial a while back. Anyway, if you like “black, black heart” you might also like to hear flower duet (if you haven’t heard it already). It’s quite popular but very pretty.

[ 27-05-2002: Message edited by: bugblatterbeast ]

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Currently got Gentlemen’s Blues and Forever by Cracker going non stop. Great albums.

Anonymous

The new album by Basement Jaxx “Rootie” the best song on the album is “Where’s your head at?” Rocking monkeys rule!

-SM

Anonymous

not in my player yet! but i’ve got a few new cd’s coming. continuing on a rock theme, i’ve got Rolling Stones- Hot Rocks(64-71) coming (i fell in love with ‘Paint it Black’ when they started using it for the theme for ‘Tour of Duty’), Incubus- Morning View and Supercharged which is a various album (it’s got a Queens of the Stone Age track on it, so then i will know if i do like them b4 i start tracking down their entire back catalogue!)….and i’m not sure if i should be admitting this, but i’m also getting Russell Watson- Encore. ‘Faith of the Heart’ has grown on me, and i was wanting to know what else he could do. sorry, but i had to!!!

bonnee
    Participant

I Can’t even begin to describe how wonderful Cinematic Orchestra’s Everyday is. Some seem to want to call it jazz, but it is (as the title suggests) more orchestral and panovision than that. Takes its cue from a variety of sources, including soul, hip hop, jazz, film scores, etc. If you can manage to download Burnout, All Things to All Men, All That You Give and Every Day on AG as a preview, then please do. It probably won’t leave your cd player.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I downloaded Rush’s new album Vapor Trails. They did a good job, as usual. Out Of The Cradle might be my favorite track. I might go see them when they tour this summer.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I just received in the mail, newly released, imported from England and only available through the internet, Curve’s new album The New Adventures of Curve. My favorite track is probably What Every Good Girl Knows.

If you like My Bloody Valentine, you’ll like Curve.

mandara k
    Participant

Post Hali songs; A lot from the soundtrack from Twister including Humans Being Van Halen, Long Way Down by the Goo Goo Dolls, and Respect the Wind also by Van Halen.
    And some Stones Give Me Shelter as well as Honky Tonk Woman

mandara k
    Participant

Oh, and I am really getting quite partial to my new Cd Dirty Vegas especially the song Lost not Found

Anonymous

i know you’re probably going to jump up and down on me for this one, but i think the Sisters of Mercy version of ‘Gimme Shelter’ is better than the Stones original. i just think the vocal style suits the words better.

mandara k
    Participant

Really? I’ll have to try that one.

And why would I use you for a trampoline? Just because a band does the song first does not mean it can’t be improved upon.

Anonymous

A compilation from Ministry of Sound “This is Tech-Pop”

It’s the new “New Wave” sound.

Anonymous

The Sisters can be a bit of an acquired taste, if you know what i mean!! The album i have with their version of Gimme Shelter on it is called ‘Some Girls Wander By Mistake’. it’s a compilation of their stuff from 80-83. I thought to myself that i hadn’t actually played it for a while, so i’ve just stuck it on. it’s been around a while, the copyright date on it is ’92. don’t know how easily you could get hold of it now. sounds a bit weird, considering i seem to have been living on a diet of nu-metal for the past few months!!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by snooklepie:
    The Sisters can be a bit of an acquired taste, if you know what i mean!! The album i have with their version of Gimme Shelter on it is called ‘Some Girls Wander By Mistake’. it’s a compilation of their stuff from 80-83. I thought to myself that i hadn’t actually played it for a while, so i’ve just stuck it on. it’s been around a while, the copyright date on it is ’92. don’t know how easily you could get hold of it now. sounds a bit weird, considering i seem to have been living on a diet of nu-metal for the past few months!!

I’m actually a pretty big fan of the Sisters, but I think that cover is complete crap. There’s, IMHO, this intensity of feeling in the Stones’ version that isn’t present in the Sisters’. The original feels like desperation while staring into the face of the apocalypse (which is why it’s so perfectly placed at the end of the Stones’ eponymous documentary which climaxes with their performance at Altamont — which, along with the Manson Family murders, is often referenced as the death of the 60’s), whereas the Sisters’ version is too mannered for my tastes. It’s an approach that works fine with their originals, but just doesn’t gel — for me, at least — with the song’s material.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

16 Horsepower – Folklore
    E-LP – Fantastic Damage
    Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf
    RJD2 – Deadringer
    MRI – All That Glitters
    Neko Case – Blacklisted
    Layo and Bushwacka – Night Works
    Interpol – Turn On the Bright Lights

All downloaded ofcourse

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Last album I had in my CD player was Twilight by BOA.

Anonymous

currently trying to get my grubby maulers on stuff by Rammstein. have got Linkin Park, a compilation and Depeche Mode- singles 86-98 in at the mo. i’m finding the darker tone of later Mode stuff suits my mood at this precise moment… :-/

Anonymous

made a few trips to the music store and picked up mostly old stuff:

XTC – Skylarking
    XTC – NonSuch
    XTC – Apple Venus Vol. 1
    The La’s – The La’s
    Rushmore movie soundtrack
    Bjork – Homogenic
    They Might Be Giants – Then
    The New Pornographers – Mass Romantic

Anonymous

Marilyn Manson

Nirvana

Metallica

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Johnny Cash

Rammstein

AFI

Thats what its all about…

Fatguy
    Participant

U2/Achtung Baby/”The Fly” as I am typing this…..boring, I know…..

pet
    Participant

That’s not boring. I have 300 songs by them. Like the remix better, tho. Bono’s version of Leonard Cohen’s “Halleluja” makes me forget to breathe.

I have (5 disk changer):

The Audiants: All the time in the world
    The Sisters of Mercy: A Slight Case of Overbombing
    Las Vegas Grind #1
    A Mix CD of songs I want to sample from. (Oldies to Industrial: It’s funny to me to have Marilyns Manson and Monroe on the same collection.)
    and get this:
    Tom Jones Greatest Hits (for some reason, this helps me clean my house. If anyone has an idea why this is, I would love to hear it. I’m completely clueless in that regard!)

My mp3 playlist would be too large and therefore boring to everyone but me to bother with.

Pet;D

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Anonymous

A compilation from other albums (it’s a work out mix I created. I’m gonna sweat.. that is if I can keep up. Jeez, what was I thinking? hahaha):
    Golgotha Tenement Blues
    Mindfields
    Dragula
    Fatality
    the One
    It Has Begun
    After the Flesh
    Rock is Dead
    Du Hast
    Wake Up
    Nyah
    Little Light of Love

Anonymous

quote:

Tom Jones Greatest Hits (for some reason, this helps me clean my house. If anyone has an idea why this is, I would love to hear it. I’m completely clueless in that regard!)

You appear to be suffering from “Tom Jones Syndrome”

A man consults a psychiatrist and begins to tell him his problem.
    “Doctor, I don’t know what’s the matter with me. I’ll be making love to my
    wife, and I find myself singing ‘Why-why-why, Delilah?’ and her name is
    Wanda…I’ll be walking my dog, all the time singing ‘What’s new, pussycat?’
    and I don’t even like cats….Whenever I’m driving in the country, it’s all
    about the ‘Green,green grass of home,’ and I never lived in the country. I
    don’t understand why I keep breaking into these songs!”
    “Well,” the head-shrinker counsels his patient, “you have what we in the
    profession, call ‘Tom Jones Syndrome.'”
    “Tom Jones Syndrome?” the couch-jockey muses. “Is that bad?”
    “Let me put it this way,” the doctor assures him, “IT’S NOT UNUSUAL!”

pet
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    You appear to be suffering from “Tom Jones Syndrome”….

“Tom Jones Syndrome?” the couch-jockey muses. “Is that bad?”
    “Let me put it this way,” the doctor assures him, “IT’S NOT UNUSUAL!”

Ahhhahahaha! That is soooo bad! LMAO! 10-Q! I needed that!

Pet;D

Anonymous

And now, NOW, I’m being tortured by a flat – on-the-end-note-barely-know-a-tune singing Leonard Nimoy.

WHY ME! WHY, WHY! whywhywhywhywhywhywhy

*sob* help me, please, someone help meeeeee!

*cries either from laughter or torture, don’t know which yet*

Anonymous

hehehe!!! on that note i am going to lock this topic and start a part 3. i myself am not into music that much but i do enjoy reading about all the different music you guys enjoy. and if you guys have any more musical jokes i am sure to get a chuckle out of them also!

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.