Whats in your CD player? part 3 (originally posted by snookl

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Whats in your CD player? part 3 (originally posted by snookl

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

here ya go! i will post the last few posts from part 2.

pet
    Aspiring SadGeezer
    Member # 695
    posted 12-09-2002 09:25 AM
    ——————————————————————————–
    That’s not boring. I have 300 songs by them. Like the remix better, tho. Bono’s version of Leonard Cohen’s “Halleluja” makes me forget to breathe.
    I have (5 disk changer):

The Audiants: All the time in the world
    The Sisters of Mercy: A Slight Case of Overbombing
    Las Vegas Grind #1
    A Mix CD of songs I want to sample from. (Oldies to Industrial: It’s funny to me to have Marilyns Manson and Monroe on the same collection.)
    and get this:
    Tom Jones Greatest Hits (for some reason, this helps me clean my house. If anyone has an idea why this is, I would love to hear it. I’m completely clueless in that regard!)

My mp3 playlist would be too large and therefore boring to everyone but me to bother with.

Pet;D

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

——————–
    http://www.petserrano.info
    Visit my playground and get Sci-fi and Cartoon Dance Mixes!

Praxilla
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 455
    posted 13-09-2002 05:01 AM
    A compilation from other albums (it’s a work out mix I created. I’m gonna sweat.. that is if I can keep up. Jeez, what was I thinking? hahaha):
    Golgotha Tenement Blues
    Mindfields
    Dragula
    Fatality
    the One
    It Has Begun
    After the Flesh
    Rock is Dead
    Du Hast
    Wake Up
    Nyah
    Little Light of Love
    ——————–

A whiff, A breath,
    And Halitosis is obvious.
    Brush your brain,
    Halitosis of the mind is an awful thing.

unregistered

posted 13-09-2002 05:36 AM

quote:
    Tom Jones Greatest Hits (for some reason, this helps me clean my house. If anyone has an idea why this is, I would love to hear it. I’m completely clueless in that regard!)

You appear to be suffering from “Tom Jones Syndrome”

A man consults a psychiatrist and begins to tell him his problem.
    “Doctor, I don’t know what’s the matter with me. I’ll be making love to my
    wife, and I find myself singing ‘Why-why-why, Delilah?’ and her name is
    Wanda…I’ll be walking my dog, all the time singing ‘What’s new, pussycat?’
    and I don’t even like cats….Whenever I’m driving in the country, it’s all
    about the ‘Green,green grass of home,’ and I never lived in the country. I
    don’t understand why I keep breaking into these songs!”
    “Well,” the head-shrinker counsels his patient, “you have what we in the
    profession, call ‘Tom Jones Syndrome.'”
    “Tom Jones Syndrome?” the couch-jockey muses. “Is that bad?”
    “Let me put it this way,” the doctor assures him, “IT’S NOT UNUSUAL!”

IP: Logged

pet
    Aspiring SadGeezer
    Member # 695
    posted 13-09-2002 05:40 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by :
    You appear to be suffering from “Tom Jones Syndrome”….
    “Tom Jones Syndrome?” the couch-jockey muses. “Is that bad?”
    “Let me put it this way,” the doctor assures him, “IT’S NOT UNUSUAL!”

Ahhhahahaha! That is soooo bad! LMAO! 10-Q! I needed that!

Pet;D

——————–
    http://www.petserrano.info
    Visit my playground and get Sci-fi and Cartoon Dance Mixes!

Praxilla
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 455
    posted 13-09-2002 06:46 AM
    And now, NOW, I’m being tortured by a flat – on-the-end-note-barely-know-a-tune singing Leonard Nimoy.
    WHY ME! WHY, WHY! whywhywhywhywhywhywhy

*sob* help me, please, someone help meeeeee!

*cries either from laughter or torture, don’t know which yet*

——————–

A whiff, A breath,
    And Halitosis is obvious.
    Brush your brain,
    Halitosis of the mind is an awful thing.

mary beth
    Member # 324
    posted 13-09-2002 11:37 PM
    hehehe!!! on that note i am going to lock this topic and start a part 3. i myself am not into music that much but i do enjoy reading about all the different music you guys enjoy. and if you guys have any more musical jokes i am sure to get a chuckle out of them also!

Anonymous

RAMMSTEIN!

Anonymous

don’t know about anyone else, but i’ve got Kerrang!TV on my cable package. when the other half isn’t around, that’s more or less on permanently. current faves on that are by Murderdolls, Tenacious D, Coal Chamber..loads of others i could mention. my shopping list for new albums is growing by the day!!
    (well, it stops me (ahem) watching a certain home shopping channel, and spending all my hard earned money on jewellry and smellies!! )

Anonymous

Tenacious D!! I laughed my butt off the first time I heard “A Tribute.”

Anonymous

This is my first time here. Nice to meet
    yous guys. I am currently playing “Real” by
    L’arc-en-Ciel. (Japanese rock)
    Have any of you heard of L’arc????

Anonymous

welcome to the sadgeezer pub rocketboy!!!

Anonymous

I haven’t read the prior posts on this, but I will say my CD player usually has some sort of techo (e.g., Orbital) stuff in it. When I DJ, I believe, “when all else fails, play Tom Jones!”.

Anonymous

Queens of the Stone Age.
    Songs for the Deaf.
    On repeat in the car.
    For one week and going.

With occasional breaks at work for The Damned’s Machine Gun Etiquette, The Mooney Suzuki’s Electric Sweat, the Vampyros Lesbos/Sexadelic Dance Party Jess Franco soundtrack compilation and The Monks’ Black Monk Time. We wind the evening down with Isaac Hayes’ Hot Buttered Soul.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Queens of the Stone Age -Songs for the Deaf.
    On repeat in the car. For one week and going.

quote:

We wind the evening down with Isaac Hayes’ Hot Buttered Soul.

bonnee
    Participant

I haven’t read the prior posts on this, but I will say my CD player usually has some sort of techo (e.g., Orbital) stuff in it.

Marty, if you haven’t heard Layo and Bushwacka’s Night Works or MRI’s All That Glitters, you might want to consider checking them out. These two records have been the stand out ‘techno’ albums of the year IMO (they’re very different to each other ). They can both be readilly accessed on Soul Seek, my preferred peer to peer application (and particularly popular amongst those into electronic music).

Soul Seek[/url]

[ 18-09-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

bonnee – thanks for the referral…will get on it.

bonnee
    Participant

Marty, if you’re tried to access Soul Seek since your post, you might have found that it was ‘down’. It should be back online shortly – possibly even as you read this. Just thought I’d let you know that the problem was temporary, and highly unusual. So please don’t be detterred, and keep trying.

Soul Seek is literally the best application for ‘electronic’ music and wonderful for the really obscure and marginal stuff (but hey, there’s plenty Orbital and the Orb to to be shared too).

Slight Update

Its back up (four hours later).

[ 23-09-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

Holy ****. I cant believe this “what’s in your CD player” discusion is still going on. It’s been a good time sice I’ve visited the board and even when I last did had been running for a good while.

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

A whole heap of John Mayer acoustic stuff.

Anonymous

Right now I’m diggin’ on Sea Change, the new Beck album. IMHO, it isn’t the groundbreaking piece of work that some (Rolling Stone) have said it is, nor is it the derivative disappointment that others (pitchforkmedia.com) have claimed. It’s pleasantly melancholy in its tone, and marks something of a departure for Beck in that it abandons irony (even the similar Mutations was somewhat ironic and lyrically obtuse in its attempt to pay homage to Tropicalia) in favor of emotional directness. His backing band is augmented on a few songs with some inventive string arrangements (courtesy of Beck’s father, David Campbell). Beck’s songwriting has never been more affecting than on this album (though some earlier cuts have come close), and while nothing on this album is going to turn the musical world on its ear the way it can be argued that Mellow Gold and Odelay! did, it is, IMHO again, Beck’s best album, and one that’s going to date much better than any of his previous works.

…And if you get the chance, go see the Mr. Show presents: Hooray for America! tour. I caught it here in DC on its first night out (after a test run in San Diego, CA), and it’s the funniest damn thing going right now. It’s only playing a few dates at the moment, but they’ll be doing another tour in late spring/early summer of next year, too. And buy the Mr. Show DVD too, while you’re at it.

–Aleck

mandara k
    Participant

i know i certainly don’t listen to what others listen to; now I’m listening to the soundtrack from Dusk to Dawn, a smidge of both Lou Reed and Billy Idol. don’t ask me why; the need to hear a certain song is like the need to get down ideas fast; stuff just jumps at me and I got to say something.

Go figure.

mandara k
    Participant

Okay, totally not modern but it’s Stevie Wonder’s Song Review; esp. Superstitious; Higher Ground, Boogie Woman, and I can’t recall the name of it now; but he sings about being a kid.

Anonymous

Interpol. Turn on the Bright Lights.

Oh, to be pale, wan, morose and British in the 1980s. There were just so many options open back then, musically speaking. If you were romantic, sad and watched Giant while reading De Profundis, there were the Smiths. If you were fond of 60s-style flourishes and lots of symbolic references to Jesus and water, you had Echo and the Bunnymen. If you were miserable, had a penchant for makeup and liked small furry felines, there was the Cure. And if there was no hope for you whatsoever, and life was like some Kafkaesque nightmare, you could always turn to Joy Division.

Interpol are, without a doubt, derivative of all the above, and of Joy Division in particular. But, damn, if it ain’t a fine album. It eschews, mostly, the starkness of Joy Div’s sound, aiming more for a more textured and lush approach, which works surprisingly well, and provides a nice balance to the emotional distance present in the lyrics. Top-shelf songwriting all ’round, and an incredibly assured piece of work. It’s been out a month, but I’ve really not given it a shot until last week, and it’s proving to be my favorite debut album of the year.

It’s currently in the #2 slot of my car’s 10-disc changer, accompanied by this line-up:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (self-titled, been out a good while, but I’m in the mood for their sound — it’s the best album that the Jesus and Mary Chain never made)

Joy Division, Heart and Soul (box set compiling all of their recorded output, save perhaps for some of the stuff on Still)

Echo and the Bunnymen, Crystal Days: 1979-1999 (box set, doesn’t cover everything, but a more in-depth sampler than Songs to Learn and Sing, with rarities and a disc of vintage live material, actually just listening to discs 2-4)

The Cure, Bloodflowers (the best Cure album since Disintegration, apparantly their last, and thankfully shedding the radio-friendly tendencies of Wish and Wild Mood Swings)

–Aleck

Anonymous

RAMMSTEIN!

Rag
    Participant

Right now it’s Nitzer Ebb – Belief. Absolutely stompin’ album. Back when they still kicked. If U like shouty, chanty industrial, I cannot recommend this enough. In fact any Ebb album except ‘the Big (s)Hit’. Avoid that like the plague!!!!

Other than that it’d be New Model Army, NIN, Front Line Assembly, New Model Army, KMFDM, Front 242, New Model Army, oh… and Tom Jones.

Did I mention New Model Army?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Yes – Tales From Topographical Oceans

Anonymous

Ladytron – “Light & Magic”

synthpop with a vengeance. or just catchy vocoder lyrics. one of the two.

mandara k
    Participant

I’ve gone back to an oldie but goodie;Sarah McLaughlin’s Surfacing with Tracks 5 and 9 more significance now I have no idea why.

mandara k
    Participant

Better track 6 begin with the words “Make me a witness……

bonnee
    Participant

Sigur Ros (). The brackets are the unofficial ‘title’ of the album (its actually untitled), and () itself includes 8 untitled tracks. Interesting that Radiohead’s reputed favorite band end up sounding like them on many of the tracks. I’m not sure if () is as good as their previous Agaetis Bryjun yet, but its certainly worth hearing – especially if you like 12 minute ‘epics’ in a made up language that is a cross between Icelandic and English. These songs are so long that they won’t all fit on an 80 minute cdr , which is usually the maximum length of a retail CD

Azrael
    Participant

Actually, I have Muse – Origin of Symmetry in mine, but very near and played often is the new Foo Fighters album, One by One and the Tenacious D album (FUNNY!!!!!)

Az.
    I listen to what I like, unless I am forced to listen to something that I don’t.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Azrael ]

Anonymous

Tenacious D.

Mmmmmmm.

Azrael
    Participant

Are you local?

Anonymous

Kerrang!TV have been playing QOTSA’s ‘No One Knows’. i think the video’s great. may well get my grubby maulers on the album on the strength of that track
    have got Coal Chamber- Dark Days, xXx-Sountrack, SOAD-Toxicity in at the mo. the xXx soundtrack is great for about the first 9 tracks, then gets a little crappy. it’s split into the ‘Rock Album’ and the ‘Rap Album’. pure rap doesn’t exactly do anything for me. seriously getting into Rammstein, though- Feuer frei kicks butt!!!

mandara k
    Participant

So, I’m the only one (except those Tom Jones fans) the sets the way back machine. It must be that i am in my hometown and the season is just right; I’ m listening to the Charlie Brown Christmas album. You know the best CB are right now; the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones. Hey, A Nightmare Before Christmas won at Dragon Con as some of the greatest costumes! There are times being an adult really bites.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by snooklepie:
    [QB]Kerrang!TV have been playing QOTSA’s ‘No One Knows’. i think the video’s great. may well get my grubby maulers on the album on the strength of that track
    QB]

You haven’t bought/downloaded this album yet? Its a great album, although I’m not sure the single is all that representative. If you want to see its current critical standing, though, follow this link – it provides a look at its critical reception across a variety of sources.

Songs for the Def

Anonymous

there’s such a big list of what i want at the mo!!! still haven’t got my own burner yet, getting my mate to get stuff for me… he’s going to think i’m only after one thing at this rate!! got him sorting out the Disturbed album at the minute. it’ll be QOTSA next, then it’ll be anything by Rammstein, etc, etc, etc……..
    would buy more, but i’ve made a decision to concentrate any free money i have on expanding my DVD collection first. collecting ST:TNG..it’s a toss-up between SG-1 and Lexx after that, plus HHGTTG, V, Blake’s 7 (if available)…jeeez, i hope i win the lottery soon….

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by snooklepie:
    there’s such a big list of what i want at the mo!!! …i’ve made a decision to concentrate any free money i have on expanding my DVD collection first. collecting ST:TNG..it’s a toss-up between SG-1 and Lexx after that, plus HHGTTG, V, Blake’s 7 (if available)…jeeez, i hope i win the lottery soon….

Don’t forget to steer clear of Lexx: Season 4

mandara k
    Participant

I’m listening to Yes; their greatest hits. You know the oldies but goodies like “Owner of a Lonely Heart” “I’ve Seen All Good People” and “Leave It”. In fact the cover has a pic of a hand with a dragon fly in the palm. (Sigh) If life were only like that.

Yup, I’m a product of my generation too; and we sold our souls.

trillian
    Participant

Red Hot Chili Peppers

I love Zephyr.

bonnee
    Participant

Audioslave
    Talib Kweli – Quality
    Roots – Phrenology

…and still, Neko Case – Blacklisted

fluffy bunny
    Participant

Tool, Bowie and Zeppelin

Henna
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by trillian:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

I love Zephyr.

so do I!!
    they’re playing in stocholm in march..
    I’ll be there!!

trillian
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gléwiel:

so do I!!
    they’re playing in stocholm in march..
    I’ll be there!!

Take pictures if you can!

Anonymous

i will go ahead and close this thread. Flamegrape has started the fourth thread on this topic.

i do have one request though, please post your thoughts on the artists, the music, and any sort of trivia or jokes you may know! i think that this may prove interesting to our non-musical (like me! hehe!) Sadgeezers!

[ 10-12-2002: Message edited by: mary beth ]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.