what’s in your cd player?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub what’s in your cd player?

• This topic has 40 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

most of use have hi-fi’s that have at least a 3-cd multichanger these days, perhaps more. in mine i have at the moment
    1) LINKIN PARK- HYBRID THEORY
    2) SYSTEM OF A DOWN- TOXICITY
    3) THE BLUE PLANET (SOUNDTRACK)
    (for those of you who don’t know, The Blue Planet is one of those David Attenborough natural history series, with the soundtrack being by the BBC Concert Orchestra)

From one extreme to another…musically, anyway

Any more for any more???

(ps- for vinyl junkies, i have on offer –
    AC/DC – IF YOU WANT BLOOD….

Anonymous

I listen to music all day at work, and at home as well, though I probably go through more rotations at my desk (too many movies to watch at home). My home listening is also more participatory, rather than passively using music as the backing score to my day-to-day events. But here’s a run-down of what I’ve got going on at both locations:

(1) Neil Young – Decade
    (2) Ryan Adams – Heartbreaker
    (3) Ryan Adams – Exit Inn, 10-28-99 acoustic bootleg
    (4) Ken Stringfellow – Touched
    (5) White Stripes – White Blood Cells
    (6) White Stripes – De Stijl
    (7) Beachwood Sparks – Once We Were Trees
    (8) DEVO – Pioneers Who Got Scalped: The Anthology
    (9) The Monkees – a CD mix I put together of late-period stuff
    (10) The Rolling Stones – Exile on Main Street

–Aleck

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

mandara k
    Participant

I have Bob Marley, The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, The Zoolander soundtrack, (I Love Rockit by Herbie Hancock) Jimmy Hendrix, Under The Rug Swept by Alanis Morrisette( which is BTW a very empowering Cd for you women out there as well as a good one for men to help them understand a modern woman a little better). The Beastie Boys; The Beatles collection, ( I like While My Guitar Gently Weeps for some reason and Here Comes The Sun.) And finally, Company B’s Fascinated.

mandara k

bonnee
    Participant

My whole life is on rotation, with each minute being soundtracked by music ranging from alt.country to underground hip hop. Even when I’m watching tv or sleeping the stereo is on, much to the chagrin of my partner. I intend to have my decomposing corpse fitted with headphones, whiling away eternal damnation listening to Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On?, Curtis Mayfield’s Superfly and Mercury Rev’s All is Dream. What a way to sweeten the deal! Anyway, currently listening (up to 3 times a day) to

Deepsky – In Silico (progressive trance)
    Aeosop Rock – Labor Days (hip hop)
    And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead -Source Tags and Codes (rock)
    Lambchop – Is A Woman (formely known as country, but something else entirely now. and if you haven’t heard their previous Nixon, track it down now!. A marvelous fusion of curtis mayfield and hank williams).
    Notwist – Neon Golden (genre hopping rock, previous a thrash metal band, although you would hardly know it now. lovely sounds).
    DJ Shadow – Private Press (underwhelming follow up to a masterpiece, but still good in places).
    Wu Tang Clan – Iron Flag (their most commercial record is their biggest flop!)
    Way Out West – Intensify (progressive trance)
    16 Horsepower – a self made compilation of three wonderful albums (the best alt.country band in my book, sort of goth meets gumbo by way of gun club. they rock!! they roll!!)
    Clouddead – Self Titled (indefinable hip hop)
    Clinic – Walking with Thee (an update of late 60’s/early 70’s garage rock).

Trying to force myself to like the new neil young record, but it sucks despite my best efforts and his best intentions. should have taken his cue from lambchop instead of booker t. wrong Decade, budweiser.

Snooklepie – track down And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead via the net if you can. its seems to be what you might like if you don’t already know about it, and everyone has been waxing lyrical about it.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

Mr. Bungle “California”
    Fantomas “Directors Cut”
    Kyuss “Kyuss bootleg”
    Moulin Rouge “Soundtrack”
    FaithNoMore “Album of the Year”
    U2 “All that you cant leave behind”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    Trail of the Dead – Secret Code (rock)

You wouldn’t be speaking of “Source Tags and Codes” by And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, would you?

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

yes, sorry for my mistake. i was vaguely aware that i might have got it wrong but was thinking ahead instead of looking back. thanks for noticing it and correcting me. I’ll correct it immediately.

DalekTek790
    Participant

1. Modern Rock: ’80s Grooves
    2. Modern Rock: Cutting-Edge ’80s
    3. Modern Rock: The Cool ’80s
    4. Back to the Future: 20 Space Themes
    5. Lexx: The Soundtrack

Anonymous

quote:

yes, sorry for my mistake. i was vaguely aware that i might have got it wrong but was thinking ahead instead of looking back. thanks for noticing it and correcting me. I’ll correct it immediately.

Not a problem. Just wanted to help people find the album. It’s a good ‘un.

Can’t say as I’d argue with any of your choices, though I’d hesitate to condemn the new Neil Young to suckage too early. It’s like any of his strange outings into other genres (Trans, Everybody’s Rockin’, This Note’s For You, etc.) in that the meshing of styles is somewhat awkward, but I think it’s not half bad. May take some time to grow on me, as the other albums mentioned did (though I’ve liked Trans from the first time I heard it…then again, I’ve listened to Metal Machine Music for pleasure, so thereyago). I’d also take issue with 16 Horsepower being the best alt.country band around, but that’s just me. Don’t hate ’em, just prefer others. Uncle Tupelo (and all their offspring), Old 97’s, Whiskeytown (Caitlin Cary’s new album is quite excellent, BTW), and (going back a bit) Jason & the Scorchers, the Knitters, and BR-549. Then there’s the Gram Parsons-related stuff (GP’s solo albums, Flying Burrito Bros., The Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo, etc.). You think 16 HP’s Gun Clubbish in their sound? Hmmm…I’ll have to give ’em another listen with that in mind. The Gun Club do rock, indeed. (Related note: Kid Congo Powers, formerly of the Gun Club, Cramps, the Bad Seeds, etc. is opening for the White Stripes on the upper east-coast jaunt of their current tour…which means I *just* missed him).

When you say that the new Wu-Tang is their biggest flop, do you mean commercially or artistically? Because, man, some of their stuff of late has *really* been scraping the barrel bottom. But I liked the single I’ve heard, and thought it was the best cut of theirs I’ve heard since 36 Chambers. I will have to check out the new DJ Shadow, as I didn’t know he’d come out with anything since UNKLE. Any DJ Shadow’s better than no DJ Shadow, though, right?

–Aleck

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

Anonymous

Dave Matthews Band- Under the Table and Dreaming
    No Doubt – Rock Steady (bootleg copy)
    Phil Collins- Hits
    Ac/Dc – Highway to Hell
    The Who- Sell out, and Tommy (2 different cd’s)
    The Benidictine Monks of SantoDomingo- Chant
    Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring – Soundtrack (bootleg)

Okay, you may shun my pop culture loving booty now 😛 BUT I REFUSE TO GIVE UP MY PHIL COLLINS

Anonymous

Hi there Snooklepie, nice topic. I often spend a lot of my free time in a given week listening to music, so my recent play list is usually rather large. The content is mostly jazz and classical, but occasionally includes the odd blues or rock cd such as the fine Canned Heat and dada titles listed below.

1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6, Schubert: Symphony No. 5 / Bohm, VPO
    2. Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D, Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A / Schneiderhan, Jochum, BPO
    3. Vaughan-Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, The Lark Ascending, etc. / Marriner, Academy of St. Martin
    4. Rodrigo: Concerto deAranjuez, Villa-Lobos: Guitar Concerto, 5 Preludes / Bream, Previn, LSO
    5. Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade / Slatkin, St. LO
    6. Miles Davis Quintet – Miles Smiles (a single take masterpiece from the second great quintet)
    7. McCoy Tyner – The Real McCoy
    8. Andrew Hill – Point of Departure
    9. Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage (his greatest recording in my opinion)
    10. Herbie Hancock – Empyrean Isles
    11. Joe Henderson – Power to the People
    12. Jackie McLean – Destination Out
    13. Bobby Hutcherson – Components
    14. Larry Coryell – Offering
    15. Larry Coryell w/Ralph Towner, Collin Walcott, Glen Moore – The Restful Mind (a collaboration between jazz fusion guitar great LC and the eclectic group Oregon)
    16. Oregon / Elvin Jones – Together (collaboration with Coltrane quartet alumnus Jones)
    17. Canned Heat – Far Out (a new 2 disc remastered comp of material from the 68 – 70 time period)
    18. dada – American Highway Flower
    19. Outlaw Blues Band – same title

Anonymous

I have to share a CD player at home, but in my car the Cd’s are all mine!. For various undoubtedly neurotic reasons I only play “old” music while driving. And there’s not much rhyme or reason to it. Right now my rotation includes:

David Bowie–Low
    Kraftwerk–Trans Europe Express
    Leonard Cohen–Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
    Emmylou Harris–Wrecking Ball
    Heptones–Golden Hits (70’s reggae)
    Rockers Soundtrack (more 70’s reggae)
    Dwight Yoakum–This Time
    Rodney Crowell–Greatest Hits

elmey

Anonymous

People People People…
    Surely you must know that records whoop the ass of any CD. Saying that I do have a paul weller CD I listen to a lot right now but that’s only when I can’t be arsed going over to flip the record. The LP’s sprawled about my room out of the collection are:

1) KISS – Paul Stanley (his solo album)
    2) John Lennon – The John Lennon collection
    3) Bad Company – Bad Company
    4) KISS – Crashes Smashes and Hits
    5) Guns N’ Roses – Apetite For Destruction
    6) Iron Maiden – Powerslave

Some of the best songs around…

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Not a problem. Just wanted to help people find the album. It’s a good ‘un.

The album certainly is good, but hardly the masterpiece some like the usually reliable pitchfork.com have been urging. 10/10?! Still, I’m pleased you know about it and quickly corrected my lazyiness. don’t want to send anyone off on a wild goose chase and would encourage those that dont know about it to give it a listen. Its been a while since I downloaded and burnt it to disk, but there’s no excuse for not correcting my own mistake when I just knew I was making one. So thanks Aleck.

quote:

I’d hesitate to condemn the new Neil Young to suckage too early.

Probably best you give it more time before you condemn it to suckage Apart from two or three songs, this just doesn’t gell for me. I can’t imagine that it ever will. Life’s just too short to want listen to another crappy Neil Young record, but you and I both know that he’s probably working on his next masterpiece as we speak.

quote:

I’d also take issue with 16 Horsepower being the best alt.country band around, but that’s just me. Don’t hate ’em, just prefer others.

I have to confess to resisting an urge to comment on your choices of alt.country. They tend towards the New Traditionalists, to paraphrase Devo. Not that there is anything wrong with preserving and extending musical tradition of course. I really like Uncle Tulpo, Wilco, Beachwood Sparks et al but draw the line at Ryan Adams. It seems to me that he wears/bears the Emperor’s New Clothes, although I expect I’m reacting more to the way the media has jumped onto him as offering the best of a given lineage. When i listen to him, I hear a fine songwiter who is too enthralled (possibly even intimidated) by a musical past to want to actually take it further in (say) the way Lambchop, Califone or I6 Horsepower do. And please – listen to the latter again. The first and third records are especially fine, and deserve to be celebrated for trying to carve their own niche across disparate musical traditions (punk, country, rock, goth, etc). When they hit their stride, they are untouchable (I can suggest a list of tracks to try and convince you if you like).

quote:

When you say that the new Wu-Tang is their biggest flop, do you mean commercially or artistically? Because, man, some of their stuff of late has *really* been scraping the barrel bottom. But I liked the single I’ve heard, and thought it was the best cut of theirs I’ve heard since 36 Chambers.

Iron Flag has been a critical success but a commercial flop. They are currently touring to salvage the situation. The interesting thing about the record, though, is its accessbility. They have attempted to address the complaint that the W was too ‘out there’, but to little avail (so far). Two singles were released within a month of each other to desperately render album sales more buoyant, but – most fans seem to have deserted them in droves. The current killa bees release must surely be the final nail in the coffin – 22 tracks, and barely a redeemable track or discernible sale. Although Iron Flag is a little too accessible for my (and probably your) tastes, it is still worth hearing. Especially check out One of these Days – a track not produced by RZA (incidentally)

quote:

I will have to check out the new DJ Shadow, as I didn’t know he’d come out with anything since UNKLE. Any DJ Shadow’s better than no DJ Shadow, though, right?

The album hasn’t been released yet, and won’t be for a couple of months. Nonetheless, if you have access to p2p, you’ll find it easy enough. Unfortunately, it is a bit of a damp squid of a record, and neither fish or fowl. If it hasn’t been produced within an inch of its life, it seems to contain little in the way of ideas or songs. half the record seems to be interludes and sketches in the form of ‘letters’. the last (live) track is an obvious afterthought derived from elsewhere. Although I wasn’t expecting or wanting Entroducing part 2, Private Press is oddly underwhelming , irrespective of who might bear its name. Approach with extreme caution. Check out in particular : 6 Day War, Fixed Income and Blood on the Motorway.

PS

Beachwood Sparks Work with Dntel on New EP

So much for that suburban hillbilly rendition of “The Sweetest Taboo”

Will Bryant reports:
    Los Angeles’ own post-rock Burrito Brothers on helium, Beachwood Sparks, are back with a new EP, Make The Cowboy Robots Cry, out May 21st on Sub Pop. The six-cut EP promises a much different approach than last year’s trippy, dippy Once We Were Trees, as the Beachwood boys are breaking in a new drummer (Jimi Hey of Strictly Ballroom and The Rapture) and collaborating with ex-Strictly Ballroom bassist/current Dntel mainman Jimmy Tamborello.

Beachwood Sparks’ Chris Gunst, Tamborello, and Hey (who prior to joining the Beachwoods spelled his name “Jimmy Hay”) comprise three-fifths of the original Strictly Ballroom lineup, who still occasionally play and plan to record under the band name Arca. Hey even sat behind the kit at the first two Beachwood Sparks shows back in 1997 before being replaced by Tom Sanford (who played on the Beachwoods’ demo tape and first singles) and later The Lilys’ Aaron Sperske (who played on Beachwood Sparks and Once We Were Trees). Tamborello also included his former Strictly Ballroom bandmate Gunst on “Umbrellas,” the opening track of Dntel’s Life Is Full Of Possibilities.

According to Sub Pop, Make The Cowboy Robots Cry clocks in at over thirty minutes and features all-new Beachwood Sparks material (i.e. no Sade covers). The echo-drenched, trebly haze of Once We Were Trees is now replaced by a sleeker, cleaner sound enhanced by Tamborello’s “artfully placed bleeps and squeaks.” Tracklist:

01 Drinkswater
    02 Hibernation
    03 Ponce de Leon Blues
    04 Sing Your Thoughts
    05 Galapagos
    06 Ghost Dance 1492

Anonymous

quote:

I have to confess to resisting an urge to comment on your choices of alt.country. They tend towards the New Traditionalists, to paraphrase Devo.

Yeah, I’m not gonna argue with that. Fair assessment. Though I’ll argue that Wilco aren’t really bearers of any particular flame. I have been in a trad. kind of mood as of late, but that’s just this week or so, ‘cuz I’ve been on a big Gram Parsons kick. About a month ago, it was all Sun Ra, Parliament/Funkadelic and Ennio Morricone (an odd bag, to say the least). But anyway, as to Ryan Adams, I can totally understand where you’re coming from. It’s just that I’ve been a fan of Whiskeytown from way back (and always thought that they were a lot more sylistically diverse than most people gave them credit for), and thought that Ryan’s first solo album Heartbreaker was one of the best “this relationship’s gone all to Hell” records since Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks. Couldn’t get into Gold really at all until I heard some of the tracks from it done live, separated from the 70’s rock production of the album, and with a really tight backing band (the album has too much of a “solo artist with studio musicians” feel to it for my tastes, but the musicians he’s been touring with really gel together nicely). But I’ll give 16 HP another shot. I think I’ve only listened to their second album (Low Estate? I think that’s the title?) and wasn’t that blown away by it, but it’s been a while. I was just curious as to your Gun Club comparison as I’d had them on rotation a week or two ago.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

I’ll give 16 HP another shot. I think I’ve only listened to their second album (Low Estate? I think that’s the title?) and wasn’t that blown away by it, but it’s been a while. I was just curious as to your Gun Club comparison as I’d had them on rotation a week or two ago.

Low Estate is pretty ordinary, but Sackcloth n Ashes and Secret South are quite marvellous in places. If you have access to audiogalaxy, download now! (they also did a cover of GC’s Fire Spirit to acknowledge their debt on their live Hoarse album. A little too reverential perhaps, but mandatory listening nonetheless).

I promise you won’t be disappoined – in fact, I dare you not to be hoarse with excitement.

Sackcloth
    1. I Seen What I Saw
    2. Black Soul Choir
    3. Scrawled in Sap
    4. Horse Head
    5. Ruthie Lingle
    6. Harm’s Way
    7. Black Bush
    8. Heel on the Shovel
    9. American Wheeze
    10. Red Neck Reel
    11. Prison Shoe Romp
    12. Neck on the New Blade
    13. Strong Man

Secret
    1. Clogger
    2. Wayfaring Stranger
    3. Cinder Alley
    4. Burning Bush
    5. Poor Mouth
    6. Silver Saddle
    7. Praying Arm Lane
    8. Splinters
    9. Just Like Birds
    10. Nobody ‘Cept You
    11. Straw Foot

dgrequeen
    Participant

I’m hopelessly outdated, but at present, my favs are the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, the Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger soundtrack, and anything Enigma.

I also like Celtic (modern and traditional), and world music.

Anonymous

i may get moaned at for saying this, but i often feel that rock music and classical are more or less two sides to the same coin- both passionate, often with raw edges, and quite often eager to make a statement.

another point, and i’ve noticed quite a few of you seem to be listening to sountracks, is that don’t you find this a more accessible form of classical music, you can relate more easily to it? what i mean is, you can hear segments, like i do with The Blue Planet sountrack- and it takes you there, amongst swimming fish, diving dolphins and the like.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Godzilla:
    People People People…
    Surely you must know that records whoop the ass of any CD. Saying that I do have a paul weller CD I listen to a lot right now but that’s only when I can’t be arsed going over to flip the record.

You may think this if you wish, but it’s simply not the case. Well recorded, and properly mastered CDs (or remastered CDs in the case of older recordings) are superior to LPs in practically every respect: much better dynamic range, wider frequency range, flatter frequency response, much lower distortion and noise floor, better speed stability (lack of turntable associated rumble and wow and flutter), and vastly better long term durability. Combine superior technical specifications with the obvious benefits of playback convenience, disc storage capacity, ease of handling, random access and portability and it’s clear why the CD supplanted the vinyl LP.

Now having said all that, it is true that some LPs sound better than their CD counterparts, particularly in the case of some older rock, jazz and blues recordings. But this is usually attributable to the mastering process used in a given disc’s production (many discs were poorly remastered when CDs first became available in the 80’s – an unfortunate case in point is the Beatles catalogue) rather than any inherent weakness in the digital format.

Flamegrape
    Participant

1. TRON soundtrack by Wendy Carlos
    2. Open Day At The Hate Fest by Curve
    3. Subgenius Hour of Slack #828 by The Church of the Subgenius
    4. My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello
    5. Weird Revolution by Butthole Surfers
    6. Lexx: The Series by Marty Simon
    7. Hidden Place by Björk
    8. Kol Nidre by Electric Prunes
    9. Arizona Bay by Bill Hicks
    10. Robert Johnson compilation of MP3s

bonnee
    Participant

Its good to see that you’re both still around Jason and Flamegrape. Nifty record collections, too.

Beethoven’s pastoral symphony is also a favorite of mine, although I’m a lttle surprised to not see Coltrane’s Love Supreme and Davis’ Kind of Blue figure in your list (probably on rotation or a little obvious for your tastes).

Anonymous

in my paltry colecton of about 15 cds these are the ones i still admit to owning and acatualy listen to

1-garbage-garbage2.0
    2-garbage-garbage
    3-linkin park-hybrid theory
    4-moulin rouge soundtrack
    5-layrin hill-miseducation of layrin hill
    6-garbage- beautiful garbage

(i also have a few mix cds for when im out using my walkman)

Anonymous

Well Jason. You’re perfectly correct in stating the technological superiority of CDs over vinyl however a record has feeling which is lost on CD. CD plays back a hollow sound which is only good if it’s being blown out of your CD player at a neighbour annoying level. CDs may be more durable than a record but how many times do you leave your CDs out of their case, unless you’re a nut, most people lay CDs around teh hi-fi [to my side nect to my drive i have a pile about 9 inches tall of CDs and I have NEVER left a record out of its sleeve. Because a record is more fragile it is treated with more care. All record owners have a felt cleaner around whereas most people don’t bother getting CD wipes.
    Records play music with feeling which is why they are better.

*** As an ectra note, CDs will soon be a thing of the past. Records died out in the 80s but they are still going strong today. With the release of DVD-audio soon CDs will be desolate. Let us see if CDs can last 20 years competing with the much superior DVD-audio which will overshadow it.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: Godzilla ]

Anonymous

Garbage -garbage
    -version 2.0
    -beautiful garbage
    Christopher Franke-The Babylon 5 episodic cds
    -The Best Of Babylon 5

Tasteful, innit?

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

and “Rock and Roll Dreams Come Though”

Mary Beth, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the original version of this. When Jim Steinman originally wrote the intended sequel to Bat out Hell, Mr Loaf decided to pass and so he recorded the song (and album) himself. The album ‘Bad for Good’ is good for a laugh or two , and the original song is preferable to the ‘remake’ that accompanied the official follow up in IMAO.

Bad for Good was accompanied by the bonus single “Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through”, which oddly didn’t feature on the album itself (and yet, somehow remains Steinman’s most popular solo song). If you can, try and track down this version on audiogalaxy (assuming you missed it the first time around. apologies if you already know about it in its original incarnation). Although it has been officially ‘blocked’, you can still access an unblocked version via Jim Steinman’s artist page (by searching according to song name instead of song popularity).

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

I was in town yesterday, and this shop had an offer on, CD’s-£3.99 each, but buy 5 for a limited period for £5. Hmmm, methinks. worth a look. Manages to find an original Santana album amongst the kak, so it was probably worth it just for that, however this is beside the point- amongst the other CD’s i got for my £5 was one called Space Themes- Performed by The Starlight Orchestra. As those of you that have the Number one Sci-fi Album (which i also have), you will know that a lot of the themes on ther are not by the original performers, but it is still a jolly fine album- and i thought that this album i bought yesterday would be the same. But just to prove the old saying ‘You get what you pay for’, it was the biggest pile of S*** i have ever heard (well, apart from boy-band kak). But it was one of those things that was so bad, it was funny. I sat through the entire CD, chuckling to myself, and their version of ‘Flash’ had me about rolling on the floor in stitches!! honestly, if you find this album, buy it- just for entertainment value!!! ( i also bought a CD of Action Hero Themes by the same orchestra. Haven’t listened to that yet- can hardly wait!!! )

Anonymous

*sigh* i don’t have a CD player except being able to play CDs on my computer and i course i have lousy speakers! so i don’t go out and buy CDs. but i do have a cassette player in my car and at the present i am listening to Meatloaf’s “Bat Out Of Hell 2”. my favs on this cassette are “I Would Do Anything For Love (but i won’t do that)”, “Life is a Lemon (and i want my money back!)”, and “Rock and Roll Dreams Come Though”. now these may not be the exact titles but i am more of a TV person and don’t listen to alot of music except in the car. the other cassettes i have in the car are stuff like Elton Johns greatest hits, Billy Joels greatest hits, lots of best of….. stuff. to tell the truth i bought all of these cassettes at truck stops on trips to and from Oklahoma!
    i do listen to some music here in the house. i have “Brigadoom” Lexx and “Once More With Feeling” the Buffy musical. and i listen to these two quite often.

Anonymous

quote:

Its good to see that you’re both still around Jason and Flamegrape. Nifty record collections, too.

Beethoven’s pastoral symphony is also a favorite of mine, although I’m a lttle surprised to not see Coltrane’s Love Supreme and Davis’ Kind of Blue figure in your list (probably on rotation or a little obvious for your tastes).

What record collection (jazz or otherwise) would be complete without those two seminal recordings? Kind of Blue is one of the most famous jazz records ever made, and launched the whole modal style of composition in which the complex chord substitutions of hard bop were replaced by extended soloing based on scales or modes. It’s accessible enough to be easily recommendable to anyone with even a passing interest in jazz (it was my first straight-ahead jazz album) – simple blues-based tunes that provide the foundation for some outstanding solos by Cannonball Adderly, Coltrane, Miles and Bill Evans (I’m sure you know all this, so I apologize in advance for my enthusiasm). If it doesn’t make it into rotation these days, it’s only because of my preference for his work with Shorter, Hancock, Carter and Williams, which was probably the most technically proficient and harmonically advanced group Miles ever worked with and featured some of his best playing.

As for Coltrane, I’m slightly partial to Giant Steps for the compositions, and maybe also to My Favorite Things because of the way he revolutionized the soprano on that record. Nevertheless, A Love Supreme is an amazing album, entirely deserving of its reputation, and one even a non-fan can enjoy. It stands out from his earlier works by its devotion to the spiritual and/or mystical aspect of music, an element that came to dominate his later work in free jazz. His playing is powerful and beautiful, and he is perfectly complimented by the remarkable rhythm section. Speaking of which, McCoy Tyner might be my favorite jazz pianist with his combination of amazing technique (especially his left hand) and consistently interesting solos, and Elvin Jones is just one of the greatest drummers of all time in any genre. Both musicians were able to go in whatever direction Trane was leading and still retain their unique character. They also provided the foundation for a string of outstanding mid sixties Blue Note albums with other tenor players like Joe Henderson and Wayne Shorter, as well as guitarist Grant Green (again sorry if you’re familiar with these).

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Godzilla:
    Well Jason. You’re perfectly correct in stating the technological superiority of CDs over vinyl however a record has feeling which is lost on CD. CD plays back a hollow sound which is only good if it’s being blown out of your CD player at a neighbour annoying level. CDs may be more durable than a record but how many times do you leave your CDs out of their case, unless you’re a nut, most people lay CDs around teh hi-fi [to my side nect to my drive i have a pile about 9 inches tall of CDs and I have NEVER left a record out of its sleeve. Because a record is more fragile it is treated with more care. All record owners have a felt cleaner around whereas most people don’t bother getting CD wipes.
    Records play music with feeling which is why they are better.

*** As an ectra note, CDs will soon be a thing of the past. Records died out in the 80s but they are still going strong today. With the release of DVD-audio soon CDs will be desolate. Let us see if CDs can last 20 years competing with the much superior DVD-audio which will overshadow it.

Godzilla, I’ve no problem admitting that there are many good sounding LPs, it’s just that the best recordings I’ve heard have been on CD rather than vinyl. Whether in terms of consistency of tonal balance, ability to render subtle textures in complex music, or ability to accurately reproduce demanding passages with wide dynamic range (such as those often encountered in symphonic classical music), CD makes for a more pleasant listening experience in my case. It’s nice not to suffer the effects of compression at the loud end, or distracting turntable associated noise (which may be minimized, but never completely eliminated, even with a good tonearm and cartridge) at the soft end.

As for the CDs eventual obsolescence, if it’s due to one of the 24 bit high resolution formats (DVD-Audio or Super Audio CD) then that’s fine with me as long as the new players also accept CDs, which they will. At this point, I can’t comment on their relative sound quality as I’ve not heard them in their full blown implementations but I remain hopeful based on my experience with DADs (these were the precursor to DVD-Audio, also with 24 bit resolution, but playable in standard DVD players). Having heard a number of these discs, I would say that they consistently sound very good, but not significantly better than the best sounding CDs – whether this will be enough to sell a new format remains to be seen. I actually think the CD faces more pressure from the lower resolution MP3, and the consistently poor pricing policies of the major record companies (CDs should never have been more expensive than LPs or cassette tapes).

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

What record collection (jazz or otherwise) would be complete without those two seminal recordings?

As you and I both know, no record collection could ever be complete Some of us might be completists – postively need to have whatever we can get our hands (or internet connections) on – but music has that amazing capacity to reinterpret and reintegrate itself, be it within our minds or within the lineage everything derives from or relates to. Its always wonderful to meet someone who attempts to contexualise their own exerience as such (which, of course, you just did).

Some people, however, imagine their experience of alt.country to be incomplete without 16 Horsepower. Have you managed to download anything yet, Aleck? Please share your thoughts if and when you do.

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

Mary Beth, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the original version of this. When Jim Steinman originally wrote the intended sequel to Bat out Hell, Mr Loaf decided to pass and so he recorded the song (and album) himself. The album ‘Bad for Good’ is good for a laugh or two , and the original song is preferable to the ‘remake’ that accompanied the official follow up in IMAO.

nope i didn’t know that Bonnee and thanks for the info. but to be honest i really don’t even know who Jim Steinman is. i am musically illiterate. i have listened to music all of my life but i was never really interested in the ‘details’. i just like listening to it. i do actually listen to very different types of music when i do listen to it. i jump around from classic rock, jazz, classical, salsa, reggae, to name a few. i even like some of the new stuff-rap, hip-hop, goth, trash, etc… i guess what i am trying to say is to me music is very simply, music. i listen to enjoy it! if i don’t like something i switch the station. i don’t get lost in the details, i get lost in the music! it does a good job of taking me away for a little while and that is a good thing! but if you don’t mind i am interested in who Jim Steinman is and what he had to do with Sir Meatloaf. yes i do know a little about Meatloaf, don’t ask me how, i really couldn’t tell ya! but i know that he was Knighted and he was classically trained for opera. he also appeared in “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”. i seem to recall that his father gave him that nickname and that it was not in a good way. i think his father was rather mean to him! one of my favorite songs off of the first “Bat Out Of Hell” LP was called “For Crying Out Loud”. at least i think that is the title. it has been almost 20 years since i even thought about that album! LOL this was the one with “Paradise By The Dashboard Light” and “Two Out Of Three Ain’t Bad”. my friends and i would actually act out “Paradise By The Dashboard Light” on the dance floor at the bar we used to hang out at (usually on nickel beer night) LOL !!!

bonnee
    Participant

Who is Jim Steinman?

(Clue: He is the ‘brains’ behind Bat out of Hell, parts 1 and 2. He wrote the music and lyrics, AND produced the records. Meatloaf was his prefered interpreter)

Jim has written, produced, performed and arranged music for Meat Loaf, Boyzone, Air Supply, Tina Arena, Barbra Streisand and Celine Dion as well as many other artists.

Newcomers might know him best as the creator of Meat Loaf’s mega hit album “Bat Out Of Hell”, and Bonnie Tyler’s hit single “Total Eclipse of the Heart”.

Jim Steinman is renowned throughout the industry for the incredible depth (lol) of his lyrics and musical arrangements, and his bravely grandiose rock-opera productions. In 1981, he also recorded his own album “Bad For Good” which featured the #1 Australian phenomenon “Rock and Roll Dreams”. Jim is the co-creator of two recent smash-hit stage productions that took Europe by storm, with Andrew Lloyd Webber in “Whistle Down The Wind”, and with Roman Polanski in “Tanz Der Vampire”. His latest projects are “Batman the Musical” with Warner Bros which is rumoured to hit the stage in 2002, and the English-language production of “Tanz”.

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Have you managed to download anything yet, Aleck? Please share your thoughts if and when you do.

Actually, I’m one of those archaic types that still exchanges money for goods, and have limited funds as we speak. I also have a slow modem connection, so the prospect of spending inordinate amounts of time downloading music doesn’t seem appealing to me either.

So, no.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

Thought this might interest you Aleck.

“Fans of Ryan Adams and The Strokes have flooded NME.COM with emails and letters calling for Adams to release his Strokes cover album – and NME is backing the call by offering to release it.

Since Adams told NME.COM two weeks ago that he had recorded ‘Is This It’ on his four-track recorder, the response has been overwhelming. Strokes guitarist Albert Hammond Jnr added to the debate last week saying that he was dying to hear it.

NME.COM contacted Adams’ spokesperson and offered to release the album as a special one-off cover-mount on the NME newspaper. However, Adams management refused, claiming there was no album. While Adams could not be reached for further comment, it is known that he has vaults full of material, both solo and with his bands including the Pink Hearts and the ****ing Virgins, that the label are reluctant to release.

Nonetheless, fans are calling on the label to let them hear Adams version of ‘Is This It'”

mandara k
    Participant

Change up in the Cd player. Patty Loveless “When Fallen Angels Fly” Billy Holliday’s Greatest Hits, Metallica’s “Load” and some opera “Le Boheme.”

Anonymous

I’ve been listening to two cd’s recently, the impressive Prodigy ‘Fat of the Land’ cd album, you may have heard some of their music in the Matrix, and I heard they doing more tracks for the next Matrix movie.
    The other is the haunting and tranquil sounds of Enigma, the combination of a male and female choir vocalists mixed with a touch of Enya and techno, is just the ultimate chill-out music for me.
    Please delete if offensive:
    Listening to this while smoking a spliff is just incredible, this music takes you places and is quite an experience.
    Squishy

Anonymous

I’m offended that I don’t know what a spliff is J/k

Alice looked and she did weep “I will not smoke that massive spliff”, The caterpillar did say “No, let us go to the planet Schmoe”
    And Schmoe they went, and Schmoe they did, and they found themselves a little kid. Who was in her group and he was crying…
    And on his butt, were two eggs, frying.
    – Mike McShane

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:
    The other is the haunting and tranquil sounds of Enigma, the combination of a male and female choir vocalists mixed with a touch of Enya and techno, is just the ultimate chill-out music for me.
    Please delete if offensive:
    Listening to this while smoking a spliff is just incredible, this music takes you places and is quite an experience.

Well, if we’re talking music of that vintage and era, and operating a CD player under the same…erm…conditions, let me recommend something similar (and actually board-related, as it’s sci-fi inspired!).
    DR Alex Patterson’s work with The Orb remains a favorite of mine, dating a lot less than most “electronica” from that time period. I’d go with The Orb’s Adventures Beyond the Ultraverse or the follow-up U.F.Orb (try to find the 2-disc version of the latter for a bonus single — the longest one in existence, I believe — which features a 40-minute long version of the hit “Blue Room”) as good introductions. DR Alex was one of the pioneers of the “ambient house”/”chillout” arena, and the music still holds up for me. I think most of The Orb’s stuff is quite good, and that the later albums are underrated, but avoid at all costs the mid-period EP Pomme Fritz unless you need to complete a collection. While you’d think that the live album Live93 would be less impressive, some of the tracks are more effective than their studio counterparts. The 2 remix albums, Auntie Aubrey’s Excursions Beyond the Call of Duty (vols. 1 & 2) are hit-and-miss, IMHO, but they’re still worth checking out.

–Aleck

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Currently in my playlist are tracks from the following bands/artists….

• New Order
    • Peter Gabriel
    • Cracker
    • Pink Floyd
    • George Michael
    • Lapdog
    • Glen Phillips
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Faith No More
    • Concrete Blonde
    • Del Amitri
    • The Beatles
    • Duran Duran
    • The Pretenders
    • Savoy Brown
    • Spilt Enz
    • Steely Dan
    • Steppenwolf
    • Stereophonics
    • Supertramp
    • The Rolling Stones
    • Toad The Wet Sprocket
    • Toto
    • The Wonder Stuff
    • Yello

And for the local aussie talent….

• SideShow
    • theVodkaCircle
    • Burrellian
    • Jim Cheney
    • Karen Hill
    • Pure Drama
    • Rapport

[ 13-04-2002: Message edited by: theVodkaCircle ]

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

……and for ‘chemically assisted’ songs as previusly mentioned, I have a rare bootleg of Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon where the entire album was re recorded with some tracks missing, extra long solos etc. Aparrantly they got totally smashed and re recorded. Its an experience

Anonymous

ok i have to close this thread now. it is at 40 posts and that makes the BB wobbly! i will start a part 2 thread.

Viewing 41 posts - 1 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.