When does one stop being a newbie?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx When does one stop being a newbie?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

I have seen the trials and tribultions that some of the new fans have been going through. To spoil, not to spoil, finding out which nicks go with which person, locating the best sites ect..

Who here considers themselves a newbie? A newbie as of when?

And if you are no longer a newbie, when did you begin to feel you had a handle on being a Lexxian?

Anonymous

Well there would be a difference between being a Lexx newbie and a discussion board newbie. Anyone who’s seen all (or most of…damn Space channel!) the episodes of Lexx isn’t a newbie to Lexx, but may be a newbie…here for instance.

I’m not a message board newbie, seeing as I have my own, been doing it for years and encountered a lot of the etiquette involved, but I’m still pretty new to this board. So I suppose there’s relative levels of newbieness.

I knew I was a Lexxian the day I bought the soundtrack. Now I’m waiting for my order on second one to come in. But I’m not enough of a Lexxian to run my own fan site or write fanfic. (Actually I don’t so that more because I spend all my time doing my own stuff in the hopes of someday becoming cult myself)

Ok, I’ll stop rambling now…

mandara k
    Participant

Road runner said it about just right. There might be a lot of Lexxians running around; hiding in the shadows but Newbie in talking to others via the boards or putting up the sites. BTW, I’d like to make a huge apology to Lexxians new and experienced. I was totally floored when meeting the few I did have a chance to talk to here and in person. I thought you all just liked the actors above all and just went along with the story line, but I’m an idiot. There is so much diversity in this group of people it leaves me in awe. I’m very sorry for my lack of knowledge.

My humble opinion is that no matter your reason and no matter when you tuned in from the way grass roots and humble beginnings to the last The End, if it entertained you, made you laugh, sing, write, paint, smile or set up a web page or just think, then what greater gift could you give these wonderful people or to yourself for that matter.

Do you want to read spoilers little ones: go ahead: look around; you are bound to find what you like. If not, ask. If someone hassles you try another board. You have a right to say what’s on your mind, but if you would please also listen because that is how I learned a lot and I learned i was not the only one who liked this show. Iread the spoilers because I was late in missing the seasons; but it was the little things I think that made it special. Things like a certain shot or a line delivered; an expression.

So if you are new to LEXX have at it; if you are new to posting jump right in; the water is fine.

Peace all,
    Mandara k

Anonymous

Newbiehood is up to the individual! It’s like the stages of child developement- you become aware of Lexx- you react to Lexx- you interact with Lexx/Lexxians (via
    B.B.’s,chats,Uncon,Lexxcon,etc.,whatever.)How much you want to know or in what manner you wish to experience it is a very personal choice!I discovered Lexx in Feb.2002- the beginning of the end. I reigned Newbie Supreme poking my posts where they didn’t belong- remember how the b.b.’s were
    electrified with series finale speculation? I was busy aking questions like what happened to the original Zev, and why did Kai seem so different in the movies? My choice was to find out as much as I could by processing massive amounts of information (ep. reviews-thanx Sad!), buy what was available from past seasons, and listen to what all the b.b.’s had to say! Lexxians really are a decent lot- there is lot’s of barking, very little biting (Uh, in most places) but the very concept of Lexx itself invites controversy, and open to broad interpretation.I think I lost my newbiehood (oh, I’ll always remember that night!) when I felt I knew enough to disagree with a regular poster, and lay my opinion to screen!That night I became a wom…Lexxian! T_T

[ 25-08-2002: Message edited by: Trini_T ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

I stopped being a newbie when I had seen all of the episodes that had aired at the time. So that means that since I hadn’t seen 2.1 Mantrid until I bought the DVD, I suppose that I stopped being a newbie during the latter half of last year. It was also around the time the fourth season premiered. Sure, I had seen most of the previous episodes before then. I had seen (and taped) all of the third season, seen almost all of the second season when it first aired, and saw the original movies when they aired on SciFi Channel near the end of the second season’s run. But I really think I felt like a newbie until I saw all of the episodes.

Now I am rapidly achieving the status of tedious know-it-all.

Anonymous

Flamegrape, it is very nice for newbies to have a tedious know-it-all around (and I have never found you tedious…tho you can be as persistant as a pit bull!) I remember deliberately seeking out your posts in my info-gathering frenzy. I tend to twist Lexx and make it more complex than it was intended; people like me need people like you to put them back on the straight and narrow!

Anonymous

When you do stop being a newbie? When the bleeding stops…

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    I have seen the trials and tribultions that some of the new fans have been going through. To spoil, not to spoil, finding out which nicks go with which person, locating the best sites ect..

Who here considers themselves a newbie? A newbie as of when?

And if you are no longer a newbie, when did you begin to feel you had a handle on being a Lexxian?

I dunno, maybe when the Elders say you’re no longer a newbie?

I feel I lost my vir… NEWBINESS when I went to my first Uncon in 2000.

Anonymous

Uh, I know who The Beans are, but I never heard of The Elders…Who are they? (perhaps I am still a newbie!) T_T

Anonymous

Elders would mean the uber-Lexxians. That is, people who’ve seen all the episodes, have fan sites, and post a lot on the message boards ect. And they can’t tell you when you’re no longer a newbie. You just know.

[ 26-08-2002: Message edited by: Road Hunter ]

Anonymous

This has been a very enlightening discussion, although I have to say I’m still not sure if I’m a newbie or not. I’ve been watching Lexx for about 10 months now, and have seen all the eps except for a few S4s. I have the trading cards, all the DVDs that have been released, and would have had a number of the props had I not been outbid at the last minute on eBay! I only started posting in April or so, mostly on some of the other Lexx bboards, where the topics often allow even know-just-a-littles like myself to contribute. Thus, I lurk here more often than not, in deference to the superior wisdom of most of the posters! (I still should register one of these days).

I have to say THANKS! to the many kind and patient souls who do not slam newbies simply because they are just that. I have seen the old “So how long have YOU been posting here?” line and I find it reflects more negatively on the person who writes it than the person it’s directed towards.

Anyway, I’m really glad to have someone to “talk” to about Lexx, as I personally know only one other fan here.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    I have to say THANKS! to the many kind and patient souls who do not slam newbies simply because they are just that. I have seen the old “So how long have YOU been posting here?” line and I find it reflects more negatively on the person who writes it than the person it’s directed towards.

Really? People at other bboards for other shows really get that arrogant? I guess I feel lucky. I don’t frequent bboards for any other show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Never for some people. Admittedly most of these are users of AOL:P

I spent (what certaintly seemed like) years in the #lexx and bored and am convinced I was still a newbie in the eyes of people like Shukaido and Splarka when I left..

Anonymous

You don’t sound like a newbie to me, Kailua or Cat. I see no point in supplicating yourself to those few very arrogant fans that spend portions their lives riding on the coat-tails of someone else’s creation. I see nothing wrong with being so dedicated, but stomping on “lesser” fans to make themselves feel big…well don’t worry about those people. They’re mostly harmless.

That’s why I like this board. There seems to be very little of that kind of b.s. going on. I haven’t checked out the other Lexx boards myself. I’m here because I’m not just a Lexx fan. I like pretty much all the sf listed here and it’s nice to have it all in one forum.

Well, I don’t concider myself a newbie to Lexx, I’ve been watching since Sci-Fi first showed Lexx, I have seen every episode and I have been to many, many Lexx sites, but i have really only observed on most sites with boards, just a reply every now and then. I don’t think I’m a elder at all though, not just because I’m only 13, but because, as you might be able to tell, I’m not very experenced in writing posts or anything. But I am almost always current with all of the Lexx news, I am getting some cards soon, I already have the first preview set. If anyone wants to email me or instant message me, please feel free too, I love talking to Lexx fans! I think I lost my newbieness when I started looking for Lexx fans on AOL about a year ago and started taking with them a lot. Now I know many Lexx fans who feel the same way I do and it helps a lot, especally after the last episode. [email protected]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Chelsea Ross:

…, but because, as you might be able to tell, I’m not very experenced in writing posts or anything.

I don’t think you have anything to worry about, I understand your writing better than I understand some of my own!

I’d been watching Lexx for quite a while before I looked at any of the boards–like Flamegrape, Lexx is the only TV show for which I look at boards. So I was pretty familiar with the show, and I’m pretty opinionated ( ) so I don’t know if I ever felt truly “newbie”. But in the beginning I
    was trying to be careful not to step on any of the regular poster’s toes!

elmey

I don’t think you have anything to worry about, I understand your writing better than I understand some of my own!

Thanks!

Lexx is the only TV show for which I look at boards

Me too, I am obsessed with Lexx, it’s almost the only reason i go on the internet.

theFrey
    Participant

I stopped feeling like a newbie when I was in Halifax last October. The fact that I knew some much of the back stories and tidbits made me feel very comfortable.

I thank the various Lexx sites for that info, and especially our very own Sadgeezer.com.

Kailua
    Participant

The funny thing is, it was on a Lexx bboard (and not the infamous SciFi one!Or this one.) that I saw newbies hit with the most “So how long have YOU been posting?” stuff. As for supplicating, I personally have a rather significant authority problem in that I won’t kiss ass. I’ll pay respect in abundance to those who seem to command it, unless they prove otherwise. I have no time for or patience with people who flaunt whatever power they have, or think they have. (You said it well, Road Hunter.)

I loved that scene in “Fargo” where Steve Buscemi goes off on the uptight parking attendant and how he thinks his uniform gives him the right to hassle people. What a catharsis!

I also love the famous Kai line :

“….but it’s been a LONG time since I slaughtered a room full of petty bureaucrats!”

I bet that the Lexx audience was cheering that one big time!

Anyway, thanks again, folks.

FX
    Participant

i’m still a newbie! frey is usually berating me for not knowing the latest tidbits, but then again, she is much more thorough about these things than i am

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    i’m still a newbie! frey is usually berating me for not knowing the latest tidbits, but then again, she is much more thorough about these things than i am

What can I say, it is the Virgo in me.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:

What can I say, it is the Virgo in me.

hehe, I KNEW I liked you for a reason, frey!

MM
    fellow Virgo soon to celebrate the passing of another year in the Dark Zone.

Anonymous

I am hoping that Lexx will never get ‘old,’ in the dear-gawd-turn-the-channel sense of the word. So, if like last night when “Walpurgis Night” came on, I get that old tingle of “goody-goody!” whenever I see an episode is about to be aired, then I guess I will be always be a perpetual newbie. {Well, that wasn’t too wordy} Some people hate spoilers when they first come upon something new. Me? I devoured Sad’s site and every Donovan film I could get my hands on [then again, I often read books backwards, too]. Some newbies like to be surprised, get it as it comes, in a neat and orderly fashion; some, like me, just want the straight 411 any way we can get it so spoiler me, baby, spoiler me. Maybe it’s good to maintain a little newbie about ya; it definitely helps keep the silly supercilious possessive levels to a minimum. [say ten times fast while balancing on one leg and rubbing your tummy counterclockwise]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.