Where is everybody?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    bonnee
    Participant

Why doesn’t anybody post here anymore? It’s not as if there is nothing to talk about – the season finale of BG, for example, was a whopper and nary a comment.

The much ancipated Futurama has also returned (after being prematurely cancelled years ago) and the silence has been deafening.

Scifi fantasy films like Wall-E, Ironman and Hancock are dominating the box office, and no one seems compelled to comment.

Sadgeezer used to be a hotbed of activity, and it must be very discouraging for Sad to watch the site wither and die – especially after all the hard work that went into relaunch.

Watching topics go unanswered for weeks at a time or no one talking about anything at all indefinitely is sad indeed. Unless there’s a viable online community, there’s no point in visiting and/or posting.

So, how can we save the site? Or do you think it should just die a a more dignified death by electing to go offline?

Edit: Not sure why, but Sad has started to filter responses to this thread, so it’s difficult to know what anyone might think (if anything at all).  I tried posting a response to the response below, but it is yet to be approved.  Pretty sad if you ask me.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

I dunno where everyone else is, but I’ve made 2 comments in the past
    couple of months that were never posted. I assumed I’ve been rejected
    for some reason, but don’t know why.

It may be a technical
    problem with the new software or the site might be getting censored in
    the states, I dunno. I dunno if this comment will even get through.

I
    tried to find a link to contact sadgeezer via email but can’t find one.
    It might help if an email contact link was available.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

I’m still here everyday, but I’m not the most vocal of posters in the first place. Pretty much any sci-fi I watched was cancelled or is waiting for a summer season to start here in the US. Not sure if I even know how to post a Futurama review if I got off my butt and wrote one! Laughing

bonnee
    Participant

Not even Sad appears to be around anymore – or could be bothered to comment either.

Maybe we should start writing the site’s obituary before it (presumably) goes offline.

bonnee
    Participant

aquabloodstone wrote:

I’m still here everyday, but I’m not the most vocal of posters in the first place. Pretty much any sci-fi I watched was cancelled or is waiting for a summer season to start here in the US. Not sure if I even know how to post a Futurama review if I got off my butt and wrote one! Laughing

Not even Sad appears to be around anymore – or could be bothered to comment either.

Maybe we should start writing the site’s obituary before it (presumably) goes offline.

bonnee
    Participant

Why moderate responses for approval Sad?

bonnee
    Participant

cough

aquabloodstone
    Participant

I deleted two of the four multiple posts reading: "Not even Sad appears to be around anymore – or could be bothered to comment either.

Maybe we should start writing the site’s obituary before it (presumably) goes offline,"

under the one that quoted me. That could’ve messed up something. God only knows, I’ve not done that alot, especially on the new site. I assumed since Nick Z. had problems posting that the multiple was a glitch. Assumption being the root of all evil you know. (If I screwed something up or did something I shouldn’t, let me be the first to say sorry.)

As far as I know, bonnee, Sad has been here to post things here and there. The site wasn’t terribly active before the move, and that took a little longer than expected. Change tends to put people off sometimes, especially when they’re used to doing things a certain way. It’s certainly taken me a bit to acclimate to the new posts listings, and I still forget to scroll down to read the news.

I’m more than aware that two Futurama movies have come and gone with little comment from me or Ryan, and I personally have little excuse other than I’m not very good at reviews in the first place, I’m terribly out of practice, and I have to figure out how to do things on this particular site. That being said, I haven’t gotten off my ass to try either.

bonnee
    Participant

Still not sure why the site feels the need to moderate or that solitary posts get placed in a queue for moderation though – perhaps that partially explains the lack of online activity.

I mean, members should feel like that they’re participating in real time – that participation ensures a communal feeling. Protracted delays merely add to the graveyard effect, and it doesn’t help that the only people who seem to post are the moderators.

Maybe, though, the site has simply died for no reason other than people have got on with their lives or found somewhere else (like Television Without Pity) to discuss sci fi.

All said and done, all good things come to an end I suppose, and this site enjoyed a vibrant life for many years. Either way, I’ll no longer post and simply maintain a death watch.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

I agree that having certain posts and/or news stories waiting to be approved when there’s little to no site activity does tend to discourage an active participation. I’ve seen it happen recently at a couple of other unrelated sites at which I’ve enjoyed quite a long stay. I know the feeling that I’m talking to an empty room does keep me from posting. Sometimes it seems as no one is paying attention and you’re wasting your time.

I hope that you keep posting, and that you’ll be given a reason to soon.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

I submitted 2 comments in the last 2 months and waited for them to
    be cleared, but they never were. I wondered why and finally figured out
    that after the site was reconstructed, I had to submit a request to
    have my login reactivated. I also forgot that I used my old email
    address from over a year ago, which I stopped using for a few reasons,
    not the least of which because it was being completely overrun by spam.

I
    dunno if this comment will be cleared or not, but I assume it will be
    because I just reactivated my login. Anyho, it occurred to me that many
    people might be having similar problems.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Okay folks, I just realized that I can "publish" your posts in this particular section. As I’ve been given no primer or instructions on how things work here, I didn’t know that things like that had to even be done. As I don’t know how things look as a non-mod, I never realized. Does this look different to you now?

mandara k
    Participant

Sometimes. there is just nothing to say anymore.

Sometimes life stears each of us in different directions.

Sometimes, the sci-fi you want and enjoy is not the sci-fi I wish to see and comment on.

I’m just in a holding pattern for sci-fi; whilst i fill my life with other entertainment like finishing Deadwood the series and reading more Jodi Picoult books, which run circles around anyfool who says they write character development .

I’d like to say, that I’m not opposed to those that praise up and down any sci-fi out there now. They have that right; but I disagree to call anything slipshod and rushed being slapped together and splashed on the screen as good. In true conscience I can’t call it good nor will I call it not good. However, when you seen potential die in front of your very eyes and yet what remains is offered on the altar of the almighty media. you lose hope and heart in a genre.

You see it as groundbreaking; I see it as charred remains, that if you sifted through it, you’d find current "sci-giants" standing on the the backs of true sci-fi Olympians.

It sickens me really.

So, no thank you, I’ll wait until this group has run full circle; and see what comes AFTER.

hishadow
    Participant

I’m sure it’s a technical glitch in this forum’s configuration, so you probably shouldn’t worry about SagGeezer turning into a evil forum overlord. Hmmm… this smells like a good plot for a Sci-Fi tv-movie.

Bright points: End of this seasons Doctor Who. 🙂

hishadow
    Participant

test test.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

I’m thinking you’re probably right, hishadow. I’m not sure having to approve comments in general sci-fi was Sad’s intention. But, I’m not sure about that either. For the time being, I’ll publish what I can, where I’m allowed.

Hollydays
    Participant

hmm…i think it’s just a glitch.  What I kept doing was writting a big tirade hitting the preview button and then it goes to the "make sure it looks right" page, where you have to hit the button again, in which case i’d look at it and hit the forum button instead or the preview again or something. i’d swear up and down i’d done it right but i hadn’t. when i tried again it was published right away.

sometimes there is a glitch where the site "forgets" i’m logged in and i have to re-login to post…but i think that is fixed now. 🙂

Hollydays
    Participant

now my problem is I have kids…so I haven’t seen any movies. boo hoo, poor me, I know. but I’ll def post my opinions on here once i do go see Hancock and WALL-E. At least I can take my older kid to the later.

Then Bonnee and Aqua, hishadow, and nick-Z better respond!!! I like your thoughtful tirades – Mandara k is welcome to respond as well…I just need to get out my thesaurus first!!! (and you know, find some non-commercial sci-fi that  Mandara k actually likes, lol)

Innocent

Hollydays
    Participant

oh yeah – and I  DID make previous comments about IRONMAN with specific comments about RDJ taking off his shirt…….

Wink

Nick -Z.
    Participant

I made 2 other comments in other topics that never got posted. I even did so 2 or 3 times. Nada. This is the only
    topic that my comments got posted in. And it’s kind of really unfair,
    too, becuz I’m losing my apartment at the end of July and will be
    joinig the homeless realm, and i wanted to let the sadgeezer forum in
    on the fact that i finally completed the pilot of my animation project.
    That comment was never posted, and for all I know, neither will this
    one. It’s all hit or miss in this forum now, it seems.

Furthermore,
    I dunno why my posts come out so awkward. More tecnical glitches? See
    ya later, maybe, but don’t expect anything after July. 

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Until the site moved here, I’d never had the ability to moderate anything but the Futurama forum, to the best of my knowledge. Sad has always been good about imparting info in the past, so it’s definitely my assumption that it’s a glitch.

While I’m not happy to hear you’re losing your apartment, Nick-Z, I am glad to hear that you finished your pilot.

I never see movies in a timely manner, because I detest going to the theater. But, I’ll do my best to keep up!

I understand why mandara k is so disenchanted with sci-fi in general. I felt that way after the cancellation of Farscape and the end of Lexx. I have avoided the Sci-Fi Network at all costs for quite a long time. Dr. Who finally lured me back, and I watch Eureka (come on July 29). I haven’t really watched Dr. Who this season (which is last season for those in England et al.) much, and when I have I haven’t been terribly enamored of it. I’ve never been a fan of Battlestar Gallactica or either Stargate incarnation. I don’t like far more than I do like, in all aspects of entertainment. I’m a curmudgeon, and I admit it.

Other than that, Headgehog ,Logan and TheFrey have been rather involved in RL the last couple of years, so aren’t as vocal as they once were. That combined with the state of science fiction in general, combines to make a quiet site. Have you been to Lexxfans.com lately? It’s a ghost town much of the time. On a happier (?) note, I’ve finished the preliminary draft of the Bender’s Big Score review. Now I have to attempt to make it sound like someone other than an eight year old wrote it, and figure out how to get it up here successfully. Wish me luck on both counts.

Hollydays
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear you are losing your apt as well 🙁 I hope that doesn’t last long. Cry

I like reading your stories

Aquabloodstone: I really don’t  think you could ever sound like an 8 year old, lol! 

Hollydays
    Participant

lol

I’ll get to working on that sci-fi loop….with some subliminal messages to be sure!

Headgehog can work on the stabilizers!

SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

Great thread, and yes, I haven’t been on the site for a while. Too many real life issues (not serious, just working away a lot) and the total inability to get my head around the Drupal content management system.  It’s great if yer a geek, but I’m not as much of a geek as I thought I was  🙂

To that end, and because the site (though it doesn’t look it) is 98% completed, I’m hiring a consultant to get the content out of the secret places and into the open.

Content display will be improved and when I get back, I’ll be able to login more.  Until then, there isn’t much more I can do.  As Bonnee said in his opening comment, it’s not like there isn’t much to chat about, just getting the bloody text into the site would be nice.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Good to hear from you, Big Daddy Saddy. I’ve been working on wrapping my head around the site format myself, and it hasn’t been easy. But I did get the review up. At least, I hope I did so the public can read it, if they so desire.

mandara k
    Participant

andm the site will b ready for you.

I’d offer you a couch but my current roommate is ummmm well I can;t really describe him. Different I guess and that’s tactful.

And I thought I was a call away from restraints.

Eh, what we do to survive on this blue ball.

I’ll chant for you though.

Good luck.

Snocamo154

IMHO all the really good scifi is either comatose or dead. Back in the late nineties and early millenium, the scifi on the SciFi channel was really entertaining. Couldn’t wait for Friday night’s to Sunday night’s shows.  Invisible Man, Lexx, Farscape, X-Files, etc. are all gone now and it’s a wasteland of poorly acted copy cats and psychic/vampire piddle.

I guess Ghost Whisperer and that genre has taken over television now and I find such shows boring and repetive. Poor ghost has problems and is mad, sad, or both about it and the young woman helps them. Over and over. Oh, man! Psycho-spooko babble. That gets old quick.  

Even the primetime vampire show on last year (can’t remember the name of it) was nothing when compared with Forever Knight.  Good talent is so hard to find today and I guess we all have to go through dry spells to appreciate a return of talent to our TV eventually.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.