Which Sci-Fi Writer are You?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Which Sci-Fi Writer are You?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

In keeping with Bonne’s post I found this “Which Science Fiction Writer are You?

http://gning.org/skiffy.html

I am Robert A. Heinlein

Beginning with technological action stories and progressing to epics with religious overtones, this take-no-prisoners writer racked up some huge sales numbers.

Hummm, Really? Me? I’m so *sniff* proud. ๐Ÿ˜‰

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

“Ayn Rand?” ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs)

A quiet and underrated master of “hard science” fiction who, among other things, foresaw integrated circuits back in the 1940s.

TranceGemini613
    Participant

NAIVE POST

Cordwainer Smith (Paul M.A. Linebarger)
    This inimitably unique storyteller created a future with so many deep layers of history that all the world we know is practically lost in it.

Who tha monkey is this dude?

…Where can I find some of his shizzle to read?

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Samuel R. “Chip” Delany

Few have had such broad commercial success with aggressively experimental prose techniques.

Crazy…I studied with him in college about the history of Scifi lit and I really admire his work.
    Dense, but extremely progressive.

MuadDib
    Participant

Cool I’m Arthur C. Clarke

Well known for nonfiction science writing and for early promotion of the effort toward space travel, his fiction was often grand and visionary.

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, a touch dyslexxic, but seems for the moment here that I’m the first and last of the Brunner, J.

Yes, apparently I am John Brunner.

“His best known works are dystopias — vivid realizations of the futures we want to avoid.”

Dystopian tales particularly appeal to me. Just before taking the quiz I was googling for dystopian fiction, and so was digesting a summary of one of his novels. Coincidence? Providence? A dysfunctional dynamic? Or a ‘hiccough’ due to the summary dyspepsia? I tend to see it as some kind of a sign that I should take a great many Tums, then read Shockwave Rider and Stand on Zanzibar.

bonnee
    Participant

I’m Stanislav Lem

This pessimistic Pole has spent a whole career telling ironic stories of futility and frustration. Yet he is also a master of wordplay so witty that it sparkles even when translated into English.

F**k yeah! ๐Ÿ˜†

Tiefling
    Participant

Arthur C. Clarke

Well known for nonfiction science writing and for early promotion of the effort toward space travel, his fiction was often grand and visionary.

Who’da thunk?

damocles
    Participant

David Brin
    Bestselling producer of impossible-to-put-down epic adventures in a far-flung future.

That fits me, for I am an UPLIFTER!

Anonymous

I’m an Art Clark (which I find a little dissapointing). I rather fancied being a Harry Harrison – or is that me confusing the author with the main character of his books? ๐Ÿ™‚

kokopelli
    Participant

It said I was….

Gregory Benford
    A master literary stylist who is also a working scientist.

(The real Greg Benford once took this quiz, and it told him he was Arthur C. Clarke.)
    —————————–

I never heard of Gregory Benford and after a lookup , looks like I never read his stories.

I don’t like Arthur C. Clarke…..borrrrrrrrrrrring).

————————————
    I am Kokopelli. I don’t need to be anyone else!!!

So there!!!

corvina
    Participant

Gregory Benford..I read his Timescape which is good as hard sci-fi goes not the sort of thing I’d re-read that often, Timescape was published early 8o’s and by then you had stuff like Neuromancer so Benford seems a bit Arthur C Clarke ish….

I got Chip Delany.. but don’t know his stuff.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

corvina wrote:

see my post above!!! Delany is an amazing writer – he’s credited with writing the first novel dealing with AIDS, and he did it in his Nyervon series….plus one of the few African American, and openly gay scifi genre writers.

Good sense of humor, and he’s friendly with Michael Moorcock….the class I had with him was amazing – we read some great stuff….Thomas Disch, Joanna Russ, Alfred Bester…

I really enjoyed listening to him and the class was a great experience in general. ‘course I was one of 3 women – it was a lecture class of 140.

kokopelli
    Participant
    corvina wrote:

Gregory Benford..I read his Timescape which is good as hard sci-fi goes not the sort of thing I’d re-read that often, Timescape was published early 8o’s and by then you had stuff like Neuromancer so Benford seems a bit Arthur C Clarke ish….

The thing is that Gregory Benford does sound like me.
    That’s what’s so annoying about it. It’s more fun to be somebody else.

corvina
    Participant

Hell I like being me! But I’m cool about getting Chip Delany too!
    I like those who have the guts to be themselves in hostile environments…have t’admit that there are times when I walk around this country (UK) and I know just how those aliens who are supposed to heave infiltrated the human race back in the 50’s felt!!!.Thing is not much has changed Queers and Dykes are allegedly accepted these days but one of my friends ‘Omah’ J was black and gay and he didn’t let on to any one….So yeah Chip Delany sounds cool to me!

Arsenic
    Participant

Gregory Benford
    A master literary stylist who is also a working scientist.

—————-

Hmm who do you have to sleep with to be Issac Asimov these days ๐Ÿ˜›

Sidhecafe
    Participant

corvina wrote:

Hell I like being me! But I’m cool about getting Chip Delany too!
    I like those who have the guts to be themselves in hostile environments…have t’admit that there are times when I walk around this country (UK) and I know just how those aliens who are supposed to heave infiltrated the human race back in the 50’s felt!!!.Thing is not much has changed Queers and Dykes are allegedly accepted these days but one of my friends ‘Omah’ J was black and gay and he didn’t let on to any one….So yeah Chip Delany sounds cool to me!

corvina, from what I’ve read of your posts in other threads I think you’d really enjoy his work, it’s very philosophical and he is loud and proud and it’s very inspiring. He was married at one point to Marilyn Hacker- the lesbian poet, her work is really great too.

Joanna Russ, Nicolla Griffith (whose Slow River, I loved) are the only 2 lesbian scifi writers I’ve run across.
    Though Tanith Lee and Storm Constantine write homoerotic dark fantasy. And Tanith is my all time fav author- she’s been publishing since the seventies and isn’t afraid to improve on her own themes.

corvina
    Participant

Hi Sidhecafe

Thanks for the recommendations I’m off to Amazon! …And also to my Lazerertte (store room behind the engine room!) to dig out my old video of ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Which I remember I bought when I was working on a college thesis.

I pick up an ’empathy’ for Blade Runner. Have you read ‘Retrofitting Blade Runner’ it’s a complilation of essays edited by Judith B Kerman? – 1991 Bowling Green State Univ. Press – it’s a wonderful collection of work!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Corvina wrote:

Have you read ‘Retrofitting Blade Runner’ it’s a complilation of essays edited by Judith B Kerman? – 1991 Bowling Green State Univ. Press – it’s a wonderful collection of work!

I haven’t read this book, I’ll look for it though, sounds very interesting! Thanks!

I LOVE Ghost in the Shell. One of my all time favorites because of Kusinagi’s search for herself- her questioning of existence and the question of what makes us who we are- Our Experinces or the Memory of our experience….very thoughtful and poetically handled in the movie I thought, with good translation in the subtitles and overdub – though some scenes I like better in the subtitles than dubbed and vice versa.

(yikes- yes I’ve watched it that much in both ๐Ÿ˜ณ )

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    According to the quiz: I’m Olaf Stapledon: Standing outside scince fiction “field”, he wrote fictional explorations of the futures of whole species & galaxies.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

pope
    Participant

Gregory Benford

and that’s that! There seem to be a lot of “Gregory’s” around here. Another one for the masses ๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers

Zip_Raygunn
    Participant

Hello. I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I thought I’d use it as a bit on an introduction. Apparently I’m another Gregory benford, but I really wanted Phillip Jose Farmer ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Anonymous
    Inactive

Although I’m a John according to my results, in actuality I’m a real-life Gregory. Welcome a-board Zip_Raygunn. ๐Ÿ™‚

theFrey
    Participant
    Zip_Raygunn wrote:

Hello. I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I thought I’d use it as a bit on an introduction. Apparently I’m another Gregory benford, but I really wanted Phillip Jose Farmer ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Welcome Zip, many happy postings. ๐Ÿ˜€

Jhevz
    Participant

Welcome to Sadgeezer’s board, Zip_Raygunn,
    I hope you like it here & post as often as you can; also, I hope you have fun here, since there’s plenty of places to choose from. You’ll make some really cool & neat friends here & make lots of new 1s; I hope you stay here & post as much as you can & by all means, enjoy your stay here.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Stanislav Lem

never heard of the freak.

Bah!

I was hoping for Carl Sagan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seriously? Stanislaw Lem is the writer I was hoping to get. Solaris, in particular, is most excellent.

I don’t tend to think of Carl Sagan as a science fiction writer — great scientist, essayist, writer, theorist, and thinker. Though Contact was a great book, that was his, I believe, only work of, what would be classified as, fiction. Still an interesting story, though the narrative is a bit flawed methinks, and so a worthy sci-fi author to be listed.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.