Which show is this??

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

It was aired in 1997 I think…in Sweden.

The show was about a group of men and women who were soldiers. They fought some alien race who were kind of silver like…

Rod Rowland(the dude who was in the first seasons of Pensacola, wings of gold) was in it.

Some of the people were called In Vitro, they were kind of like clones.

The title was something like: Earth Above and Beyond or something…

I cant really remember much else that i can write…..

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Dragula:
    It was aired in 1997 I think…in Sweden.

The show was about a group of men and women who were soldiers. They fought some alien race who were kind of silver like…

Rod Rowland(the dude who was in the first seasons of Pensacola, wings of gold) was in it.

Some of the people were called In Vitro, they were kind of like clones.

The title was something like: Earth Above and Beyond or something…

I cant really remember much else that i can write…..

Yep, it was Earth: Above and Beyond, a very shortlived sci-fi programme akin to starship troopers (but without the bugs!!!), there was one invitro soldier who wasn’t trusted to begin with, as they did’nt like the idea of a test tube soldier.
    They weren’t really clones, but genetically modified super soldiers which everyone despised and the people who made them chose to forget them.
    I think it only lasted two seasons, and I might be wrong but I think someone like Chris Carter (X-Files) was a producer or something like that.
    ADM

pet
    Participant

Close, but it was Space: Above and Beyond. Produced by the writing team Morgan and Wong, who wrote some X-files episodes, many Millenium episodes, and most recently the Jet Li movie, “The One”, in which several actors from the series appeared. (Those guys do the David Lynch thing a lot and use people they know in other projects.)

It has the rare privlege of being a Sci Fi production which knew when it was going to end, therefore the final episode actually wrapped up the entire series with a neatly packed surprise ending. It did last 2 seasons.

ATTN, anyone from Fox’s legal dept. watching (I should be so lucky) LET M&G PUT IT ON DVD! My tapes are getting worn! ARRGH!!

If I ever go to a convention, I’m going as an In Vitro, since all I have to do for a costume is put a belly button on my neck.

Pet;D

Anonymous

Hey pet, you said it never came out on DVD….

Did it ever come out on VHS???

That show rocked!!

pet
    Participant

No,

The rumor has always been that being their first show, and the realization of a dream they had in college, they signed the first deal that came around. That means they got a ****ty agreement and only Fox has the right to release it on VHS or DVD, not Hard Eight.

There was a petition here for awhile:

Space:Above and Beyond Ready Room[/url]

She’s also hosting one of my early mixes there.

And sometimes there are offers from people selling episodes they taped or DVD’s they made. I just taped it every time they showed it on Sci-Fi until I got a whole collection. (Out of order, of course, since sci-Fi often showed them by theme or character rather than start to finish.) But I notice as I watch them the quality is getting darker and darker. I may have to buy some homemade DVD’s.

It’s my all-time favorite Sci-Fi show; I have a thing for soldiers.

Pet;D

Anonymous

Too bad that show went nowhere. I really must stress the fact how I hate sci-fi shows that spend too much time on the human drama and character development.

If your gonna have a massive interstellar war with an alien race, you probably will want to show the audience what they look like.

Anonymous

two seasons??? i only ever remember seeing 13 eps (this is in the UK) have i missed something??

pet
    Participant

Oh, Boy, did you miss something! Did they only show half of them in the UK? ARGH!

Everything became more cinematic second season, and the ending really knocked the wind outta me!

Here is the list from the Space ready room listed above:

101 Pilot
    102 Farthest Man From Home
    103 Dark Side Of The Sun
    104 Mutiny
    105 Butts
    106 Eyes
    107 The Enemy
    108 Hostile Visit
    109 Choice Or Chance
    110 Stay With The Dead
    111 River Of Stars
    112 Who Monitors The Birds? **2nd Best Episode Ever!
    113 Level Of Necessity
    114 Never No More
    115 Angriest Angel ** Best Episode Ever! (and Most embarassing Singles Bar scene ever! D’oh!)
    116 Toy Soldier
    117 Dear Earth
    118 Pearly
    119 R&R
    120 Stardust
    121 Sugar Dirt
    122 And If They Lay Us Down To Rest …
    123 … Tell Our Moms We Did Our Best

There are plot summaries there. They are ripe with spoilers, but that doesn’t really matter now. If you want to know what happened, go ahead and peek.

Pet

[ 13-10-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Anonymous

Pet, do you remember what that indestructible chig ship was called???

I cant remember…..I just remember something like there was this uber-ship that they couldent destroy…

pet
    Participant

Without spoiling anything (I say that as if anyone’s ever going to see it again), not knowing what they looked like was a necessary device for one of the episodes. They did end up showing the Chigs after that ep aired.

(I’ll admit, though, up until that episode it did feel a little weird, but then when that happened, it opened an OMG-OOPS! for me. But, to each his own. )

Pet;D

pet
    Participant

I’m guessing you mean the cloaked tri-wing flown by the lone alien Ace pilot:

That was CVR, or Chiggy VonRichtofen, named after the Red Baron. He appeared in Never No More and The Angriest Angel. That was the S:AAB battle mix I did. (A very early one. The timing is off on some of the samples. I’ve been meaning to fix it, but then Lexx came along….)

Oops, babbling! Does this make me a SAAB Geezer?

Pet;D

P.S. If you’re really into it, there’s a pic of the resin model here, which shows better detail.

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info, Pet!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I seem to remember that Amigas were used for the effects, one of the reasons I made sure to watch it (as with seaQuest DSV)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.