Which Spin-Off would you prefer?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Which Spin-Off would you prefer?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Seen as they left it pretty open at the end as to which direction they could take Lexx, which Lexx Spin-Off would you like to see?

1) The adventures of Stan and Xev (and probably 790) aboard the mini-Lexx.

2) The adventures of Prince, Priest and Bunny.

3) An Insect Wars prequel.

4) Kai in the Dead Zone. The adventures of Kai beyond Death.

Would you think the Spin-Off would be more suited to a series on TV or as a self contained 90 minutes film? And which style of Season would you like it to resemble the most (The Sci-Fi of Season 2, The more serious Season 3 or the Comedy Sci-Fi of Season 4)?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Stan, Xev, and Li’l’ Lexx in adventures with Prince, Priest, Bunny, and the pretty women with the fresh-smelling underwear.

An Insect Wars prequel is something entire dreamed up by fans and will never happen. It would mean writing a story that is serious, straightforward, epic, and not resembling Lexx in the slightest!

Kai in the Dead Zone? Oh, give me a break!

Anonymous

Kai in the dead zone could work. As he is dead and has entered another Dimension of time and space he could take on a different form, therefore MM wouldnt have to play him. Just a thought.

Who says the Lexx spin-off has to be in the same style as Lexx?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Stan, Xev, and Li’l’ Lexx in adventures with Prince, Priest, Bunny, and the pretty women with the fresh-smelling underwear.

An Insect Wars prequel is something entire dreamed up by fans and will never happen. It would mean writing a story that is serious, straightforward, epic, and not resembling Lexx in the slightest!

Kai in the Dead Zone? Oh, give me a break!

Flamegrape, I said something before about going against the wishes of the fans…in which you were quite correct in that it was an arrogant assumption to make.
    However, you’re comment about Lexx being un-epic like is not something I would agree with (yes we’ve had the argument about the literal sense of epic), you have to remember there are fans out there who loved Lexx because of the movies (me being one).
    If there was to be a prequel involving the insect wars, then it would very much be of Lexx’s roots, but even the movies carried a certain amount of comedy.
    But if you take a look at the ratings, then it’s obvious that the one’s that pulled in the most were the likes of Vlad and IWHS, whereas Midsummers and it’s ilk were not hit’s.
    I loved Lexx for whatever it did, but a return to the ideas that inspired it would drag in more people.
    So if you actually believe that the entire fanbase would like to see Lexx continue the way you’d prefer it, then I’m afraid it is you that is making arrogant assumptions.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Just following on from JJ’s post, I’m just wondering whether it would be better to whittle it down to two choices:
    DO we want to see a Lexx where:
    1: We return to the more serious theme’s shown in IWHS, Vlad and the other movies, with a touch of comedy…or
    2: Madcap humour, and the whole show is dominated by comedy with just a touch drama, something like Midsummers?
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:

Flamegrape, I said something before about going against the wishes of the fans…in which you were quite correct in that it was an arrogant assumption to make.
    However, you’re comment about Lexx being un-epic like is not something I would agree with (yes we’ve had the argument about the literal sense of epic), you have to remember there are fans out there who loved Lexx because of the movies (me being one).
    If there was to be a prequel involving the insect wars, then it would very much be of Lexx’s roots, but even the movies carried a certain amount of comedy.
    But if you take a look at the ratings, then it’s obvious that the one’s that pulled in the most were the likes of Vlad and IWHS, whereas Midsummers and it’s ilk were not hit’s.
    I loved Lexx for whatever it did, but a return to the ideas that inspired it would drag in more people.
    So if you actually believe that the entire fanbase would like to see Lexx continue the way you’d prefer it, then I’m afraid it is you that is making arrogant assumptions.
    Squishy

You’re putting words in my mouth, Squishy!!! I did not say “the entire fanbase would like to see Lexx continue the way I’d prefer it”. I didn’t say anything of the sort. Are you talking about my idea of continuing the show with Xev, Stan, Prince, Priest, Bunny, and the women? I said that because JumpingJedi asked for everyone’s opinion! I also gave out my opinion on the other two options presented by JJ. Back off with the innuendo!

Now if you ask my opinion…

If the show itself continues, I really don’t think it’s going to return to the stiff style of the first series of movies. It just wouldn’t make any sense to me. However, if the next installment of Stan and Xev’s story comes in the form of a movie (like what JJ said about the SFX interview with Xenia) then it would seem to make sense that it would have a little more serious theme. But not much.

If they make a prequel spin-off based on an anectdote of Kai’s backstory, then it would be the epic space-opera that you want. I’ll be sure to watch it. But I seriously doubt that it would be written and produced by the same folks who wrote and produced Lexx: The Series. They wrote the television series the way they wanted. It changed and evolved over time. Do you think they are going to drop their style and pander to the fans? I really don’t think so.

theFrey
    Participant

Flame, please.

quote:

If they make a prequel spin-off based on an anectdote of Kai’s backstory, then it would be the epic space-opera that you want. I’ll be sure to watch it. But I seriously doubt that it would be written and produced by the same folks who wrote and produced Lexx: The Series. They wrote the television series the way they wanted. It changed and evolved over time. Do you think they are going to drop their style and pander to the fans? I really don’t think so.

Pander? How so? How do we not know that the original movie was not *The Vision* and that the story line was not sillied up a bit for greater series acceptance.

The original movies had tons of humour in them, but it was a sly, black kind of humour which I loved. I would dearly like to see a more serious series with flashes of gem like humour in it, rather that the pie in the face stuff that some of the series episodes resorted to. I donot think this would be pandering.

Anonymous

Originally posted by JumpingJedi:
    [QB]Seen as they left it pretty open at the end as to which direction they could take Lexx, which Lexx Spin-Off would you like to see?

Definetly has to be a combination of choices 1 and 2. Stan, Prince, Bunny, ZXev, Mr. President, the girls, and 790 reprogrammed in some bizzare way. Lots of guest stars too.

Xenia could show up for a couple of episodes which, in the last, she would be reduced to goo again and then a new actress could take her place. Just imagine all of the posts to this site comparing Zev, Xev, and ZXev.

Instead of Kai in the Dead Zone – how about the MM Zone? You know, like the Truman Show. I’m sure that there would not be a problem finding a volunteer(s) to follow MM around, 24/7 where ever he goes. They could watch him smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer. sleeping, rehearsing for a stage play, etc. .. YAWN What kind of ratings do you think a show like this would get?

That should satisfy the obsessed Kai/Michael McManus fans.

Reveal_7

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Reveal7 ]

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Reveal7 ]

Anonymous

Why must so many innocently put questions turn into a battle of opinions? Opinions are just that, opinions. Let’s all get along, or at least the few rogue persons that seem, to me at least, to get almost a kind of nihilistic pleasure out of taunting one another. Posting opinions is the meat of this site and allowing them to be flaunted as weapons of hurt is a totally other sadistic ballgame and should be reserved for another life. Let us all do our part to keep this particular site, the best Lexx site on the net, free of backstabbing and jabs. O.K? What do you all think? Let’s be rational and reasonable folks, the beans are going to do whatever they are going to do anyway. Something tells me that any spin off will not have much to do with Lexx anyway. That is my opinion. I’ll take my bow now. Cheery Bye!

“Let’s Go!”- Lt. General Romeo Dallaire

Anonymous

Come off it Flamegrape, the above statement pretty much sums up what you think of earlier Lexx compared to what it is now.
    The insect wars were not dreamt up by fans, the fact that they were not played out in the series does not mean they didn’t happen.
    As we’ve seen with Star Wars, prequels can be an interesting and integral part of the Lexx history, an area that has never truly been explored.
    Like or not, there are fans who want to see Lexx return to the way it was during the movies, equally there are fans who want to see Lexx continue in the way it has recently.
    But ask yourself, will any new fan choose the bewildering storylines of late to the original movies.
    If Lexx is to continue it needs to attract new blood, many newbies just can’t get their heads around the humour, and it’s selfish of the current fans to expect they do so.
    I say go back to the trend the movies set because they were easier to understand, and I say that so Lexx can become stronger, if it sticks with the madcap humour, then we only alienate a potential audience for Lexx.
    I want to see Lexx become a giant in Sci-fi, sure it will be remembered by us, but others will just class it as being a sci-fi programme that only appealed to it’s hardcore fans.
    Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed all of Lexx, but when you truly look on what it needs to continue, you soon realise that it needs a broader audience, for that it needs to find the right balance of the seriousness of the movies with the humour of the series…otherwise it’s unlikely that investors will look at it as a viable investment.
    Fact is, if we have a repeat of S4’s non-stop comedy, then it will not gather anymore fans, because they will still be left scratching their heads as to what is going on.
    The seriousness, straightforward, epic feel as you call it, was what was present in the movies, the movies got the ball rolling for Lexx, without them you would not have seen Lexx develop into a series, and for many of us, those movies were the reason we loved Lexx to begin with.
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    Why must so many innocently put questions turn into a battle of opinions? Opinions are just that, opinions. Let’s all get along, or at least the few rogue persons that seem, to me at least, to get almost a kind of nihilistic pleasure out of taunting one another. Posting opinions is the meat of this site and allowing them to be flaunted as weapons of hurt is a totally other sadistic ballgame and should be reserved for another life. Let us all do our part to keep this particular site, the best Lexx site on the net, free of backstabbing and jabs. O.K? What do you all think? Let’s be rational and reasonable folks, the beans are going to do whatever they are going to do anyway. Something tells me that any spin off will not have much to do with Lexx anyway. That is my opinion. I’ll take my bow now. Cheery Bye!

“Let’s Go!”- Lt. General Romeo Dallaire

I think your seeing things that simply aren’t there Fred, I’m sure Saddy will tell you that he is quite happy the way the board conducts itself.
    Nobody is taunting anyone, for instance Flamegrape’s opinion is something I don’t agree with, but I’m not taunting him about it.
    This is the way the board has always been, it has never got further than a little heated discussion, Saddy and the mods will not tolerate anyone baiting anyone else or flaming of any kind.
    Sure these arguments pop up once in a while, but on the whole we are all still pleasant to each other.
    But there is no backstabbing or jabs (well there is one that Saddy and the mods have failed to recognise on more than one occasion as an out and out troublemaker), but I have known most of the regulars here, and when it really comes down to it, we really get along very well.
    So don’t worry, it will never degenarate into serious hostility, it never has before, and it’s all good fun at the end of the day.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    Flame, please.

Pander? How so? How do we not know that the original movie was not *The Vision* and that the story line was not sillied up a bit for greater series acceptance.

The original movies had tons of humour in them, but it was a sly, black kind of humour which I loved. I would dearly like to see a more serious series with flashes of gem like humour in it, rather that the pie in the face stuff that some of the series episodes resorted to. I donot think this would be pandering.

I’ll tell you exactly how so. If a writer has a good idea but ditches it because he thinks the fans wouldn’t like it, that’s bad. He’s not being true to himself. Even worse is if the writer mechanically writes a new tv show because a specific story is demanded by the fans. I writer writes what he writes becauses a feeling inside tells him what the story is. Sure, he can take suggestions. And he can also have a go at writing a specific story that is demanded of him and not of his own inspiration. But the results can be less than satisfying.

To create a specific story on-demand is awful for a writer! It’s extremely difficult to pull off in a pleasing manner. I wouldn’t want to push that on anyone. Writers “discover” stories and are not dictated by legions of fans. You don’t see people lobbying Stephen King for a specific book.

Do you understand what I’m getting at? Television writers can write something and then later decide if it’s worthy of putting on tape. Not the other way around.

The Beans are going to write what they write because they want to. Not because we want them to. That would be pandering and would be less than worthy.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Nobody is taunting anyone, for instance Flamegrape’s opinion is something I don’t agree with, but I’m not taunting him about it.
    This is the way the board has always been, it has never got further than a little heated discussion, Saddy and the mods will not tolerate anyone baiting anyone else or flaming of any kind.
    Sure these arguments pop up once in a while, but on the whole we are all still pleasant to each other.

Agreed! That’s the spirit, Squish! Have a nice salty brain! On the house!

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Come off it Flamegrape, the above statement pretty much sums up what you think of earlier Lexx compared to what it is now.
    The insect wars were not dreamt up by fans, the fact that they were not played out in the series does not mean they didn’t happen.
    As we’ve seen with Star Wars, prequels can be an interesting and integral part of the Lexx history, an area that has never truly been explored.

nononononononono…. I didn’t say “the Insect Wars were dreamed up by the fans”. I said, “the idea of an Insect Wars prequel was entirely dreamed up by fans”. Worlds of difference. And actually, that wasn’t entirely true anyway. Didn’t MM bring up the idea in an interview? (I hope I’m not starting a false rumor!)

About Star Wars. Since 1977 when the first movie came, it was designed to have prequels. It wasn’t something invented after Return of the Jedi was released. In fact, as I dimly recall from my childhood, there were supposed to be nine movies in all! But I haven’t heard talk of an Episode VII in… well, in decades, I guess.

In the case of Lexx, the Insect Wars were merely backstory for Kai’s character. Famous throughout the galaxies, the Brunnen-G saved the universe from the evil Insects. The fact that many fans wondered about the details of that war demostrates how effective Kai’s character was defined.

Look, if they did an Insect Wars prequel, that’s great! I’ll be glued to the tube every week. But it wouldn’t be the same show. Sort of in the same sense the ST:TNG is not the same as ST:TOS. The first one was campy and sometimes outrageous. The second one was a bit more stiff and serious. Both good shows, but very different in style.

But yeah, you’re right about my opinion of the later seasons of Lexx over the first season. I really enjoyed the goofball stuff that happened with Xev and Stan. In my viewpoint, the Beans have laid a firm foundation for Stan and Xev’s characters. Both the writers and the actors are now very familiar with them. To shift focus to an Insect Wars prequel would require a huge shift in gears and an abandonment of everything that has been developed in the previous four seasons.

Hey! Why not have our cake and eat it? LOL! Why not produce BOTH show ideas? The Beans could turn over reins to some other group of writers, producers, directors, and actors to let them make a kick-butt Insect Wars prequel! The Beans could come in as consultants or be executive producers while they focus on the continuation of Lexx and the story of Stan, Xev, Prince, Priest, and Bunny! In fact, the more I think about it, the better that sounds!

Anonymous

quote:

The Beans are going to write what they write because they want to. Not because we want them to. That would be pandering and would be less than worthy.

That’s an interesting point FG. In the Paul Donovan interview on S2V2 he said something to the effect that one of the most disconcerting things that happened during Lexx is that in the beginning he (and the other writers) felt like they were in control of the show, they’d created this world and could do what they wanted. And now it wasn’t completely theirs anymore (this is a paraphrase purely from memory). I think those interviews were shot just before they started production on S4. I thought there were times during S4 when it almost seemed they were fighting fan expectations. However, I could be overinterpreting…….
    I’d love to see someone ask him about that if he does another interview though.

It’s hard to imagine what another creative team would do with a sequel, I’d certainly give it a chance, but it would have a much different feeling I’m sure. And it would obviously have Stan since Brian will be involved (unless he decides to play Brud Parsnip instead )

I think I’d actually rather see a full length movie–that would seem to have a much better chance of bringing most of the team back together. I think Lexx was one of those shows where the right people just came together and clicked; I don’t know how many parts you can lose and still have it work. I’d expect a movie to have an overall sweep, and some pretty silly stuff as well. Also maybe some sex, some violence…and no redeeming social value!

elmey

Anonymous

quote:

nononononononono…. I didn’t say “the Insect Wars were dreamed up by the fans”. I said, “the idea of an Insect Wars prequel was entirely dreamed up by fans”. Worlds of difference. And actually, that wasn’t entirely true anyway. Didn’t MM bring up the idea in an interview? (I hope I’m not starting a false rumor!)

About Star Wars. Since 1977 when the first movie came, it was designed to have prequels. It wasn’t something invented after Return of the Jedi was released. In fact, as I dimly recall from my childhood, there were supposed to be nine movies in all! But I haven’t heard talk of an Episode VII in… well, in decades, I guess.

In the case of Lexx, the Insect Wars were merely backstory for Kai’s character. Famous throughout the galaxies, the Brunnen-G saved the universe from the evil Insects. The fact that many fans wondered about the details of that war demostrates how effective Kai’s character was defined.

Look, if they did an Insect Wars prequel, that’s great! I’ll be glued to the tube every week. But it wouldn’t be the same show. Sort of in the same sense the ST:TNG is not the same as ST:TOS. The first one was campy and sometimes outrageous. The second one was a bit more stiff and serious. Both good shows, but very different in style.

But yeah, you’re right about my opinion of the later seasons of Lexx over the first season. I really enjoyed the goofball stuff that happened with Xev and Stan. In my viewpoint, the Beans have laid a firm foundation for Stan and Xev’s characters. Both the writers and the actors are now very familiar with them. To shift focus to an Insect Wars prequel would require a huge shift in gears and an abandonment of everything that has been developed in the previous four seasons.

Hey! Why not have our cake and eat it? LOL! Why not produce BOTH show ideas? The Beans could turn over reins to some other group of writers, producers, directors, and actors to let them make a kick-butt Insect Wars prequel! The Beans could come in as consultants or be executive producers while they focus on the continuation of Lexx and the story of Stan, Xev, Prince, Priest, and Bunny! In fact, the more I think about it, the better that sounds!

Agreed, that sort of approach should appease both sets of fans, and I think that it would certainly make for an interesting story.
    I guess I’m an FX nut, I just love eye candy, and I just feel that the insect wars would be an excellent vehicle for the superb FX crew to show off their ground-breaking talents.
    As for the movies and series, well I guess you go from one extreme to the other, the movies were dark and sinister, whereas the latter part of the series was very light.
    I guess I was getting concerned that Lexx was becoming a carry-on movie in space, I’m all for the laughs, but it’s just that sometimes it kinda overpowered the show.
    I’m quite happy for the beans to do what they wanted, but then they knew their involvement with Lexx was to discontinue, so the last Lexx was more for them and the current fans than an attempt to bring in more fans for the show, so I guess they were not gonna be concerned on whether it was going to spark mass interest in Lexx.
    But the fans wanted Lexx to show newbies what we saw in it, and I suppose we were asking too much, I just think that eps like Vlad and Yo-vay-Yo would have enticed new fans, but we’ve had a few, let’s say, not so good eps, which some might have felt had driven a new audience away.
    The beans had obviously experimented with S4, as it would seem that they wanted to keep the show fresh, which is just so difficult when you’ve done something for so long, it’s kinda like writing a song, you wanna keep it fresh, but you have this nagging feeling that it sounds just like another record.
    But I truly believe that a good mix of simply what the beans do best would result in the spin-off we want, i.e the creativity shown in the movies tempered with the laugh out loud humour of the series…and then everyone should be happy.
    Squishy
    P.S Thanx for the salty brain, in the words of the immortal Lyekka ‘It was yummy!!!’

sgtdraino
    Participant

First, I’ll answer the original question:

JumpingJedi wrote:

quote:

Seen as they left it pretty open at the end as to which direction they could take Lexx, which Lexx Spin-Off would you like to see?
    1) The adventures of Stan and Xev (and probably 790) aboard the mini-Lexx.

2) The adventures of Prince, Priest and Bunny.

3) An Insect Wars prequel.

4) Kai in the Dead Zone. The adventures of Kai beyond Death.

I would prefer a combination of 1, 2, and 3. I would put our characters in the next cycle of time, and stick them in the middle of the Insect Wars.

Lexx has always been about putting our crew of misfits into a tense situation, and then seeing how they screw it up.
    Season 1: Commanding the most powerful weapon in the two universes… look out!
    Season 2: Destroying a universe.
    Season 3: Destroying (perhaps) Heaven and Hell.
    Season 4: Destroying our very own planet, Earth.

For Season 5, I would make our crew the wrench thrown into the works of the cycle of time. In a cycle where “we each live our lives again exactly as before,” the crew of the Lexx would be a lesson to the Time Prophet on chaos theory.

I would also have the crews of the Noah and Little Lexx interact in some way, or perhaps even merge. Prince, of course, could not be a regular crew member though. He is too evil. Perhaps I’d have him join the Insects.

Kai beyond death? With some other dude playing Kai? I cannot envision the viewers accepting anyone other than Michael playing Kai. It was tricky for Zev to turn into Xev after 4 movies and 2 episodes, but for another actor to play Kai after 4 seasons? I just can’t fathom it. Better to keep the character dead. btw, if Kai is truly dead, then he is in the Dream Zone. It’s Christopher Walken who’s in The Dead Zone.

Would you think the Spin-Off would be more suited to a series on TV or as a self contained 90 minutes film? And which style of Season would you like it to resemble the most (The Sci-Fi of Season 2, The more serious Season 3 or the Comedy Sci-Fi of Season 4)?

I would do TV movies. It’s easier to get the ball rolling on a TV movie than on a series. It’s how Lexx got its start in the first place, it’s how Babylon 5 has managed to continue, and having the series begin and end with TV movies seems oddly symetrical.

As to tone, I love the epic style, laced with dark and shining bits of humor, that you find in what are commonly regarded as our most favorite Lexx episodes. Yo Way Yo is itself a fine example. I felt that episode struck the perfect balance of seriousness and off-kilter humor.

And, btw, among many other hats, Lexx definitely does wear the “epic” hat. Dictionary definition:

“A poetic, literary, or dramatic composition celebrating the feats of a legendary hero.”

I think Kai, Stan, Xev, and the Lexx itself all qualify as legendary heroes, to one degree or another.

An Insect Wars prequel was first dreamed up not by the fans, but by the Beans. They had planned to do a book all about the Insect Wars, but then later changed their minds.

Flamegrape wrote:

Look, if they did an Insect Wars prequel, that’s great! I’ll be glued to the tube every week. But it wouldn’t be the same show.

It would be, if you stuck Stan, Xev, Prince, Priest, Bunny, and Little Lexx in the middle of it all, screwing up the normal course of the cycle of time, and occasionally turning the serious into the absurd.

Reveal7 wrote:

Xenia could show up for a couple of episodes which, in the last, she would be reduced to goo again and then a new actress could take her place. Just imagine all of the posts to this site comparing Zev, Xev, and ZXev.

lol. Yeah, then later you could do a special episode called “The Three ZXevs,” where the XZev Lords allow the ZXevs to break the first law of XZev, so they can travel through time to help each other take on Omega, the renegade XZev Lord.

Now we’ll see if anyone knows what the hell I’m talking about.

Flamegrape wrote:

I’ll tell you exactly how so. If a writer has a good idea but ditches it because he thinks the fans wouldn’t like it, that’s bad. He’s not being true to himself.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. What is a “good” idea? Sometimes creators can be too close to their own material to know what is a good or bad idea. Like the cliche says, they can’t see the forest for the trees. And if those creators are powerful enough, there might not be anybody around with the balls to warn them otherwise. Or if there is, the creators might not listen, because they’re The Creators. Who does such-and-such think he is, to tell them their idea sucks?

Case 1: George Lucas
    Exhibit A: Jar-Jar.
    Exhibit B: N’Sync.

Case 2: Sigourney Weaver
    Exhibit A: Alien Cubed
    Exhibit B: Alien Resurrection

Two examples of powerful creative forces that have made their series great, but have also made mistakes that diminished their series to a degree, simply by being “true to themselves.”

Sometimes the fans are right.

To create a specific story on-demand is awful for a writer! It’s extremely difficult to pull off in a pleasing manner.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you there!

Writers “discover” stories and are not dictated by legions of fans.

I think there are at least a few more good stories in the Lexx universe still waiting to be discovered. However, I do think the Beans stopped at the right time. I think they were getting sillier and doing more parodies because they were running out of new ideas themselves. At the very least, they needed a break. They did the right thing.

Oh, almost forgot. That article (I think it’s from the June issue of Sci Fi Magazine) that JumpingJedi posted under “Flamegrape’s Ending Ideas.” When I saw that the first page of that article labeled our show as, “the outrageous comedy that is Lexx,” I have to admit I was miffed. To me, Lexx is so much more than a comedy. And after the 4th season, to see the whole series refered to as a comedy… well, it bothered me. “Comedy” may be the best definition for Season 4, but I don’t think it’s even close to being the best true definition for the entire series. Especially after Yo Way Yo!

You don’t see people lobbying Stephen King for a specific book.

People have been lobbying King for “The Dark Tower V” for, what, something like five years now. We’re finally going to get it in 2003. Incidentally, Michael McManus would be a wonderful choice to play Roland, the last Gunslinger, in the series. It’d be perfect for a TV miniseries too.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: sgtdraino ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by sgtdraino:
    lol. Yeah, then later you could do a special episode called “The Three ZXevs,” where the XZev Lords allow the ZXevs to break the first law of XZev, so they can travel through time to help each other take on Omega, the renegade XZev Lord.

Now we’ll see if anyone knows what the hell I’m talking about.

]

So, can Stan be the Master? Or more like the Masterb*te with all those vibrating screwdriver-weilding XZevs! (P.S. wouldn’t the name-combo Zex make more sense?)

Also, for the record, I think a spinoff should have a full circle- dramatic arc combined with the comedy. I’ve always been a fan of Stan, and have always noticed a bit of a manly hero streak in him. He’s grown a LOT and developed into a strong leader (even though he does still tend to be over cautious) . Case in point: EVERY time something goes awry on Earth or elsewhere, he always eventually comes around and helps. And if he were realy a coward, he’d have run a long time ago .I think Xev has noticed too, and is falling slowly for him ,for who he is now, is NOT the same person she (as Zev) first rejected. Let’s face it, Kai could have indulged her just once as he was regaining emotion, and could have told her he loved her, but he wouldn’t because he didn’t ,and I think maybe he realised where her love should lie, with Stan. The same goes with Lyekka, she says she loves Stan, but that isn’t evident in the bad she does, and also they can’t ever be together (in that way) anyway, so it wouldn’t be entirely fufilled. I hosetly saw something new in Xev’s eyes as she looked at Stanley in Lexxie (little Lexx) and I think it was because Stanley told the Lexx he loved it. See, Xev has had sex, what she really wants is a LOVING sexual relationship, and I think she now knows that if Stan can honestly unconditionaly love a bug, he can love her for her, and not for her body, which was something he just wasn’t capable of when they first met.
    An interesting story would be if Xev was finally ready to tell Stan she loves him, and Prince came disguised as Kai, and convinced them that he was Kai back from the dead ,and tht he loves Xev and wants to take her away, and she still chooses Stan anyway .Kai is gone, and certainly he’d want Xev to find true love, and Stan is ,well, the Man!

DalekTek790
    Participant

I’ve got my computer working so I can frequent this board again.

I think we should see a continuation. Stan and Xev in the new Lexx exploring the Dark Zone looking for a home and trying to counter Prince’s mission of evil. There should be no more reincarnations on the other planets (maybe some of the women on the Noah are from the first three seasons, though). It should be similar to the first two seasons. There should be minimal story arcing.

The new Lexx should be revealed to have distinct properties that set it apart from the old Lexx. Stan should act more mature and less cowardly. Xev should get a real outfit. 790 has to be reset and possible repaired (it would be silly to have a character mourning over a dead character in every episode), and be quirky as opposed to out-and-out evil. A new member of the Lexx crew is needed, someone with Kai-like knowledge of the Dark Zone and a few more I.Q. points than the surviving trio, but should not be a normal human (or a re-hash of Kai). Stan and Xev should be able to get out of situations on their own, without the indestructable character always stepping in at the last minute. Maybe Kai’s spirit can appear Obi-Wan Kenobi-style once in a while to warn/inform.

The new series should have things to set it apart from the original. We need to see new things as opposed to continuations of old things. The formula needs to be modified at least somewhat. It should be even less like the old show than one of its seasons was from any other season.

sgtdraino
    Participant

DalekTek 790 wrote:

A new member of the Lexx crew is needed, someone with Kai-like knowledge of the Dark Zone and a few more I.Q. points than the surviving trio, but should not be a normal human (or a re-hash of Kai). Stan and Xev should be able to get out of situations on their own, without the indestructable character always stepping in at the last minute.

I have an idea for this. As I (may have) mentioned before, I had already finished a script for an Insect Wars sequel. But, naturally, I didn’t know Kai was written out at the time I wrote it. Big re-write in order. But having a hero-type “protective big brother” character in the crew does serve an important literary purpose to the dynamics of their interactions.

I plan to have our crew meet up with Kraito, the Brunnen-G whose memory we see in Super Nova. He was awarded the Medal of Ultimate Honor for defeating the Insects at the Battle of Virian. I’m thinking he’ll begin as a classic hero and great leader of the combined forces opposing the Insect Civilization. But I’m then going to strand him on Little Lexx. He’ll be this great big heroic leader, with no one to lead, stuck with people he doesn’t much like or respect. Considerably more abrasive than Kai. But because he IS a hero, he’ll still try to do the “right” thing, playing the part of protector/strategist/warrior. Finally, at some point, I’ll remind everybody that he is NOT Kai. He’ll be fated for the classic, mortal end that all classic mortal heros eventually face, from charging into danger one too many times.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Nirvanah Rimmer:

she now knows that if Stan can honestly unconditionaly love a bug, he can love her for her, and not for her body, which was something he just wasn’t capable of when they first met.

The downside is that they can never have sex because Stan would immediately lose the key again!

elmey

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:

The downside is that they can never have sex because Stan would immediately lose the key again!

elmey

Why not? Each episode might start with either one of them possessing the key. Without actually showing the scene, it’s somehow overtly or subtly explained that it’s because they had sex. Xev would wind up possessing it for several episodes straight. Stan would get it back in amusing ways.

Anonymous

WOW!!! I just read all the above posts (rather quickly) and was struck with the fact that, if you combine alot of these ideas, you guys already have a great story going!I HAVE to throw in my 2 cents worth…this is just too good to pass up!I know it won’t appeal to some of you, it will gag a few,and be sacrilegious to at least three of you, but here goes….
    #1-It should be movie format in the manner of IWHS(dark,fast-paced,edgy)
    #2-It MUST appeal to a broader based viewing sector,yet retain familiar themes and hardcore “original Lexx” references.
    #3-Kai should remain dead,but flashbacks would be an integral part of understanding the story.
    #4-The cycles of time would figure prominently

O.K.- LET’S BEGIN…..
    (remember, I am combining above posted ideas and adding my own)
    Xev,Stan,790 in L.Lexx and The Noah and crew encounter another “cosmic whatever” which sends them BACK through the cycles of time and into the middle of the Insect Wars.Prince(for whatever reason) realizes this immediatly-the crew of L.Lexx do not.Prince does NOT want them to know,either.He is afraid they will do something to alter the future,placing him in a much less desirable position(after all,things could be a lot worse for him!)Of course his primary goal is to obtain L.Lexx and to GET OUT OF THE PAST(he seems to know something.)But…back on L.Lexx they pick up a distress signal from a damaged craft,and find a man barely conscious and badly(but not mortally)wounded.They take him aboard and find out he is……Kraito of the Brunnin-G, and things are not going well for humanity against the insects.Even the Brunnin-G are losing hope.Stan and Xev are shocked to realize where they are(790 knew the whole time-he’s still the same little sh*t).They take Kraito back to Brunnis-a Brunnis at the height of its power and glory(this is where the Kai flashbacks would occur,and would be extremely emotional.)Stan and Xev convince the Brunnin-G they are from a future cycle of time and they know the insects can be defeated.Since this is a viril,strong,heroic Brunnin-G civilization(Kai was definately a throwback to his way-earlier ancestors)they eagerly rally behind Stan and Xev. L.Lexx is now fully grown and a worthy adversary of the “bad” Insects!Stan,Xev and Kraito board the Lexx and lead the others to battle!Of course, they are victorious!Then (of course),Xev decides to try to alter the future and save the Brunnin-G culture…she also ponders saving Kai from his first “death”,etc.etc.etc.The Noah would be weaving in and out of this…I’ll leave that to some other inspired being!

Flamegrape
    Participant

(In my best imitation of Joan Crawford…)

No… time-travels… EVER!!!!!!!

Anonymous

You are right,Flamegrape.What was I thinking?
    “Son of Kai” has so much more potential!

Anonymous

Combine the first three(no more Kai). I think it would be funny to see Stan and Xev trying to avoid the other ship, then keep running into them. Hijinks ensue for about 23 episodes, then Priest gets mad when Stan hits on one of his hot chicks. They start a fight and Stan gets kicked off the Noah. So start the Insect Wars as fought by two complete dumbasses. How’s that for a prequel?
    Having the seriousness of Kai’s situation contrast with the ineptness of the rest of the crew I think was detrimental. Don’t get me wrong, I love the show. I just think blending the two was a mistake. Kai to me was like a big brother watching over a birthday party. You can’t really just have fun.
    With Kai really dead the door is open to market the show with a distinct trait other than “want some strange?”

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.