who is the best sci-fi character?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff who is the best sci-fi character?

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

although i love trek,b5, etc the one character the stands out for me, out of all the series i like, is Scorpius/Harvey. Wayne Pygram does such a good job of being both menacing and funny, and evil as well as being a character that we can sympathise with. which character stands out for you guys?

Anonymous

In Literature: Dune’s Scytale. Think about it. He almost kills Paul, pulls all the strings in Dune Messiah. Discovers how to give Gholas their memories back. Is one of the last living humans(not caught in “the net”) at the end of the series. And has the cells of just about everyone important that ever lived in his chest. And he’s a total baddy.

In Sci-Fi film/tv: Q from ST:TNG, like the above he’s a total enigma. It’s hard to tell if he’s just an Imp screwing with the mortals or if he’s the Protector of Humanity. Probably a little of both. Every episode he was in was fantastic.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    In Literature: Dune’s Scytale.

Wasn’t Scytale one of the loathsome Bene Tleilax?

My favorite sci-fi character (other than Xev) is Lyta Alexander of Babylon 5. I identify with her because she is supremely talented but vastly underappreciated.

Visit my Lyta Alexander Fanpage[/url]!

Anonymous

Paul Atreides is the best science fiction character ever. Frank Herbert created a character with so much depth. His journey from a lost boy in a desert to a god is best piece of science fiction ever created.

Anonymous

Yeah Flamegrape. Scytales character is interesting to say the least. The BT’s are fakers, pretending to be scum that will do anything, but they believe themselves to be the only true children of God. They use the time up until “Heretics of Dune” to trick the other members of the Empire.

It’s explained very clearly that Bene Tlielax society works off the principle that “Masters” are the inner-priesthood and are total despots. The rest of the society is made of Domel and citizens. Face-dancers are considered the lowest of the low. Yet Scytale is a Master too. Lots of unanswered questions about his rise, or if he was Master before Face-Dancer. And again, he was the one that caused the downfall of Pauls regime. He manipulated Mohaim, the Fremen, even the Guild. And as a result he has the cells from Paul, Leto, Duncan etc…

At the very end of the series the true bad guys are revealed. Apparantly they are evolved Face-Dancers capable of capturing “Souls”. Since its made clear that face-dancers cannot be Masters or even real citizens of the Bene Tlielax you have to conclude that Scytale was an exception based off the fact he discovers true immortality by awakening the memories of Gholas. Either that or he was always a Master and is most likely the person who invented Face-Dancers. In which case he created Marty, one of the two “Gods” revealed at the end of Chapterhouse. In the very last chapter the two “Gods” are talking and one is VERY angry that Scytale got away, not only because he is a Master but because he has the cells of everyone that was every important in the books including Leto, Paul and Chani. So its quite possible that Scytale will end up being the most important person in the series in the final book.

Brian Herbert is writing the final book based on his dads notes which should clear up a lot

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by phoenixfire31:
    Paul Atreides is the best science fiction character ever. Frank Herbert created a character with so much depth. His journey from a lost boy in a desert to a god is best piece of science fiction ever created.

Actually his son, Leto II, was the one who became a god.

But still, Paul is really cool! He was a master of all the great martial arts of the galaxy.

But if I were to vote for the coolest character in the Dune books, without a doubt it would Duncan Idaho. Leto II thought he was so cool that he had him cloned hundreds of times over the course of thousands of years. I recently read the first two “prequel” Dune novels that have been published recently. The account of Duncan Idaho at the Swordmaster Academy of Ginaz way really cool. Duncan just plain kicks ass. That’s why Paul liked him so much.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Actually his son, Leto II, was the one who became a god.

But still, Paul is really cool! He was a master of all the great martial arts of the galaxy.

But if I were to vote for the coolest character in the Dune books, without a doubt it would Duncan Idaho. Leto II thought he was so cool that he had him cloned hundreds of times over the course of thousands of years. I recently read the first two “prequel” Dune novels that have been published recently. The account of Duncan Idaho at the Swordmaster Academy of Ginaz way really cool. Duncan just plain kicks ass. That’s why Paul liked him so much.

I guess your right but Paul was more of a god-like figure to the fremen thanLeto II, and he won the empire. But Duncan Idaho is a cool guy in Dune to

Anonymous

we’ve all seen & read about different characters- i don’t know what kind of guy Wayne Pygram is in real life, but as Scorpy he scares me. he doesn’t have to do much-just be on the screen, and i’ll shiver. There have been some excellent characters, both in print & on the small screen, but none have had such an effect on me. i often wonder if it’s just down to his skill as an actor, or if Mr Pygram really is creepy….

DalekTek790
    Participant

There are a number of sci-fi figures I have identified with over the years. Luke Skywalker, of course, then Jen from The Dark Crystal until about adolescence. Now I identify most with Star Trek‘s alien characters. I think we all feel like Spock, Data, or Odo sometimes. Mulder’s a good character too, easy to sympathize with.

Then there are characters that are appealing because they are so unusual and hard to understand, like the Doctor.

bonnee
    Participant

I find myself gravitating towards morally duplicitious characters, aliens who feel alienated by their own relationship to others. characters caught between worlds and moral dimensions, so to speak. Thus, Daan and Sandovaal from Earth: Final Conflict, Garak from Deep Space 9, and Scorpious from Farscape strike me as being the most interesting characters to grace television sci fi, rendering the question of each’s moral universe very intriguing indeed.

[ 22-03-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

I think we all feel like Spock, Data, or Odo sometimes.

I feel like Odo sometimes… after maths, usually. Now, if the maths teacher had pointy ears and didn’t rave so much, he’d practically be a Vulcan. He already talks about logic a lot!

I find myself gravitating towards morally duplicitious characters, aliens who feel alienated by their own relationship to others. characters caught between worlds and moral dimensions, so to speak.

Me too!
    But my absolute fav sci-fi charactor would have to be Kao Jyan, from Chung Kuo; The Middle Kingdom.
    He was caught between morality (he ended up chosing badly, in the end) and, while he wasn’t exactly caught between worlds, he wanted to climb Chung Kuo’s levels until he became First Level and got a decent job.
    And he wasn’t an alienated alien… he was actually kwai (an assassain) but he was alienated.
    And doesn’t the assassain bit prove that Kai’s not the only good assassain in sci-fi?

Anonymous

for somereason i always like the small charecters best (and usualy the girls as well i think im a bit sexest like that)

willow from buffy
    lyta from b5
    the 2nd dax girl

there are otheres but i cant think at the moment

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

And he wasn’t an alienated alien… he was actually kwai (an assassain) but he was alienated.

And doesn’t the assassain bit prove that Kai’s not the only good assassain in sci-fi?

Hmm, I wonder if the word (and possible referent) Kai is a riff and reference to Kwai?

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Angus Thermopyle beats ’em all.

Anonymous

Scorpius. Devious, relentless old skool villain.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by CBrate:
    Scorpius. Devious, relentless old skool villain.

IMO Scorpius is good, but he isnt very time tested. Needs a few more deaths under his belt maybe even a few main cast members kills

But he is the best reason to tune into Farscape, no doubt. Truly a great actor and villian. His incarnation as Harvey was probably the brightest spot in the entire series for me.

Flamegrape:

Idaho is great. Arguable the most *epic* character in the series. From beginning to end of the series his character is always in the mix one way or another. Of course Id hate to be killed so many times, especially the 1000s or more times that Leto got em! But I really loved the developement of that character especially the way he becomes “outdated” later in the series as the martial arts expand and some humans like the Honored Matres have insect like reflexs and speed whereas Duncan was more than match for anyone in previous incarnations and now finds himself no match for the ladies of the future.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.