Who would make for a good Kai?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Who would make for a good Kai?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Mentioned this in the killing key characters post, who could ever fill the boots of MM in regards to Kai, well I’d go for the following:
    1: Johnny Depp
    2: Ben Affleck
    3: Hugh Jackman
    4: Squishy (In my dreams!!!)
    Anyone else got an opinion on who could take on the Kai role convincingly?
    Squishy

theFrey
    Participant

If they were to use another actor to bring back Kai, which I think would be a bad idea, I think they should use some one like Ioan Gruffudd.
    http://www.ioangruffuddinternational.com/andehh.jpg

Anonymous

I’d like to see Urkel take over the role (in keeping with the spirit of season four of course )

Anonymous

Ya can’t. It’s not just a look, it’s a style…….

And Squishy–Ben Affleck???? You’re a more likely choice.

elmey

mandara k
    Participant

Yes, Frey YES!!!!! Though no more Kai; give us something else so, what type of being is there but unavailable; I say something being like Prince; someone to pop in to give Zev and the ladies a stir but then pop out for a while. Hey, it would be cheaper to have someone only part time and it would be easier for said actor to do other work. Or, as I suggested before; a variety of different eyecandy to play the “hero” and depending how they work they stay or go. But, Frey you are right; your choice is excellente!!!!

Anonymous

I agree that Kai should either be played by MM or no one, BUT, if I had to, I’d say Rudolf Martin has a similarly dark, brooding, morose, yet handsome face. He guest starred as Dracula on Buffy, and also played Vlad on the USA TV movie “Dark Prince, the True Story of Dracula”. He’s not as “pretty” as MM, but he’s the closest looking to him that I’ve seen in terms of a type (basic bone structure, black hair, generally deceased appearance, still a hottie.) Hugh Jackman and Ben Affleck are too different looking from Kai/MM in my book, although Johnny Depp’s Edward Scissorhands persona is reasonably similar.Interesting question!

Anonymous

Sorry, Squishy, I forgot you were among the choices. I’ve never seen you, but your enthusiasm should get you an “A” for effort at least! As for Ioan Gruffud, he’s got a good Kai face. Personally, I’d just like to see Rudolf Martin in a Lexx spin-off or movie, but playing a different character than Kai (perhaps a long-lost Brunnen-G?). Check him out at:
    http://www.geocities.com/gine_r89/rudolf8.html

Aloha!

Anonymous

A new Kai would have to be able to dark and somewhat sinester……
    Ben Affleck would not be right.
    What about Alan Rickman???? Dark…….and good looking

Anonymous

Never though of Ruldolf Martin, he would be a good choice, he has the look, but there is still something missing.
    Not sure where I got Hugh Jackman from!, I think it was because of how Kai reminds of Clint Eastwood’s character in A Few Dollars More, that is the one where he plays the stranger with no name, isn’t it?
    Ben Affleck, because he can put on a bit of a stern looking face and seems to have that tall slender look.
    But I guess there is just not many actors that you could truly envisage as Kai, MM certainly has that part as his own. I would certainly hate to be the casting agent that would have to find someone to fill his boots, it would probably have to be a struggling unknown actor.
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    A new Kai would have to be able to dark and somewhat sinester……
    Ben Affleck would not be right.
    What about Alan Rickman???? Dark…….and good looking

I don’t know about Alan Rickman, seems a little too old to be playing Kai.
    How about turning Kai into a female (I have this sense of death warrants being issued for me!!!), who would do the female role well, first thought for me would be Angelina Jolie, but I think the lady who played Vlad would also pull that off well.
    Squishy

Anonymous

How about Steve Buscemi for a new character? He does creepy very well. Maybe they could have him reprise his role from Ghost World.
    Then again, my opinion might be colored by my love for strange men with bad teeth…

Anonymous

While Im not his biggest fan David Duchevony would make a great Divine Assassin actor from an impartial stance.

As for who I’d want….hmm Ed Norton or Lucy Lawless

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

[QB]I agree that Kai should either be played by MM or no one, BUT, if I had to, I’d say Rudolf Martin has a similarly dark, brooding, morose, yet handsome face.

Rudolph Martin?
    Oooooh yes, just looked him up. Same beautiful/sensual aloof face. Yup, could definately fill MM’s moccasins nicely
    Kog

Anonymous

Yer all wrong!

The best person to play Kai is ME!

Yes ME! Oki, I don’t have many power rods and I tend to get a little bit excited about stuff, but what I lack in length I can certainly make up for in girth!

Anonymous

Oohhh, SadGeezer you randy studmuffin you! Is that what they mean when they call you an “Administrator Member”?

Flamegrape
    Participant

With all due respect, getting a new actor to play Kai just wouldn’t work.

Anonymous

Keanu Reeves(another Canadian cutie) would make a delicious and deadly divine assasin!I would be intrigued by what he would do with that type of character…he is gifted AND disciplined (one of McManus’ best qualities,I thought!)

Anonymous

hmmm, I say either Rudolph Martin or perhaps Gerard Butler – a Scottish actor who has also played Dracula, in Dracula 2000, though he was MUCH better as Atilla in, what else, Atilla.

I admit, I’m leaning heavily towards Martin. There IS just something about him that seems to fit the bill of “deadly yet honorable, hunky yet unattainable”.

But it’s all a moot point, since I wouldn’t want anyone else to play Kai. Maybe a new hero, but not a new Kai. For me, MM will always be Kai. And I still get wiggly when I watch him swagger… No one but MM could pull off walking like that. Oooo… *slaps self*

Ok then… where were we?

Anonymous

Yes, as I said above and as many others have said, Kai should be played by MM or not at all. IF they ever do a spin-off or movies, it would be cool to have another character who could have a similar type of brooding appeal. NOT trying to recreate Kai so much as just providing a character who can counterbalance Stan’s silliness and cowardice, 790s demented and acidic jibes, and Xev’s carefree, daring excess. The chemistry of the Lexx crew is one of the things that makes the show so fun and well-rounded. Since MM has made it clear it will be a cold day in Hell before he signs on for more Lexx, I think the delicious Rudolf Martin would fill the void left by His Gorgeousness well. Of course, having them both on the show would really make my day, but that’s getting greedy.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Although Kai has finally died and Xev has permanently lost the one she loved the most, there are other possibilities. I think Nigel Bennet would make a perfect replacement for Michael McManus. Xev loved Kai, but he could never return that feeling. I think it would be really fun if Prince were to take a love interest in Xev. It would be a sort of reversal of the situation with Xev and Kai. Prince would love Xev (don’t ask me why, maybe because she’s not entirely human) but Xev would certainly never return any love! And when you think about it, Kai was dead but Prince is death itself. Or maybe forget about the whole death thing altogether. I don’t know.

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Yer all wrong!

The best person to play Kai is ME!

Yes ME! Oki, I don’t have many power rods and I tend to get a little bit excited about stuff, but what I lack in length I can certainly make up for in girth!

There there sad baby
    ..strokes sads temple gently..

Of course you can be the replacement Kai
    ..smiles sweetly..

Kog reaches behind her to gather up the white jacket, ya know the one with the very long sleeves that wrap all the way ’round the body + tie at the front.
    ..gently captures one of Sad’s arms placing it into one of the jacket sleeves..

hopes Sad will be all better soon

Kog
    [who has seen picks of Sad and think that he is a sex god in his own unique way]

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: kaisothergirl2 ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

Any of the following would make a good dead assassin:

-Doug Hutchison
    -Sean Patrick Flanery
    -Vince Vaughn
    -Jean-Claude Van Damme
    -Johnny Depp
    -Val Kilmer
    -Liam Neeson

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Anonymous

Given Jean-Claude Van Damme’s acting skills, he may as well be dead.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    well, the thing that was special about kai was that he was dead, and for an actor, that had to be the most challenging aspect of the character…i think mcmanus took that as far as he could, and kai alive wouldn’t be nearly as interesting for an actor; he’d be just another goodlooking hero…but, it would be fun to have the brunnen g backstory, in which case i would want some quirky unknown for kai…or johnny depp!

So you also think Johnny Depp would make a good Kai, FX?, I keep thinking back to him in Edward Scissorhands and wondering whether the beans got the inspiration for Kai from that.
    I think I’ll get a pic of JD and put him in Kai gear to see what he might look like, can I e-mail it to you FX, so you can post it here?
    Squishy

FX
    Participant

well, the thing that was special about kai was that he was dead, and for an actor, that had to be the most challenging aspect of the character…i think mcmanus took that as far as he could, and kai alive wouldn’t be nearly as interesting for an actor; he’d be just another goodlooking hero…but, it would be fun to have the brunnen g backstory, in which case i would want some quirky unknown for kai…or johnny depp!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:

I think I’ll get a pic of JD and put him in Kai gear to see what he might look like, can I e-mail it to you FX, so you can post it here?
    Squishy

that would be great squishums , maybe some of the other more artistically inclined of you could mock up your proposed actors for the ‘new Kai’ and send pictures here too? i think it would be a lot of fun to see clint eastwood dressed up in a kai wig

Anonymous

Great idea! I’m more artistically than technologically inclined myself, so if I don’t post a pic of Rudolf Martin in that ridiculous Kai wig, it’s not for lack of interest in the idea. BTW, I think it’s a real testament to MM that he still manages to look great even in that silly bouffant hairdo. I’m glad most guys don’t wear their hair like that IRL. Can you imagine sitting behind one at the movies? What would their hair look like after a couple of hours of football? The horror of it all! I dare not contemplate the matter further.

Anonymous

Does anyone have a large high quality pic (face on if possible) of Kai that they could send me?, I can’t seem to find anything I can use.
    Here’s my e-mail if anyone can help:
    [email protected]
    Squishy

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by :
    BTW, I think it’s a real testament to MM that he still manages to look great even in that silly bouffant hairdo. I’m glad most guys don’t wear their hair like that IRL. Can you imagine sitting behind one at the movies? What would their hair look like after a couple of hours of football? The horror of it all! I dare not contemplate the matter further.

I agree. My theory on the ‘Why of the bun’ makes me wonder how that fact would have went over. I can just hear it now. “It’s not fair Paul! We put a big stupid ball of hair on his head and the chicks still think he’s hot!”

Anonymous

I have to say that the bun thing mystified me at first. I remember thinking, “OK, what’s up with that? Does anybody really think that’s attractive? Or cool? Or intimidating? Does that poor actor get paid enough to wear that wig?” etc., etc. I didn’t realize then that it was never INTENDED to look cool or attractive. It probably was a bit of a shock when the fan mail started pouring in for MM despite the hair. I’m trying to think, have there been many other actors or actresses that still look great despite really bad costumes or makeup? Johnny Depp, for example, looked a lot better as Edward Scissorhands than he did in any of his movies where he had the scruffy facial hair.

As for you and your picture quest, Squishy, there are lots of great vidcaps you can download from various Lexx sites. Pat’s Michael McManus tribute has, as the name implies, mostly Kai-oriented ones. Many of them are using up a good deal of my computer’s memory even as we “speak”.

Anonymous

I was hoping for a high quality pic of Kai, but can’t seem to find one, I can’t really use vidcaps, because the quality would be too poor, so I will have to abandon my little artistic exercise.
    Squishy

Anonymous

I wanna sequel. It could be called “Married in Space” and better yet somehow the old Zev has returned too so we now have both Xev and Zev. Lucky us. One of the lucky pair gets to marry Stan the Man. Then have 790 robothead thinking it is Zev’s or Xev’s Mother and as Stanley’s mother-in-law gives him crap like never before. The lil Lexx is their happy nest. Then it would be a chance for Xev/Zev to get pregnant, maybe the one who isn’t married gets pregnant in some weird Lexxian high strangeness. She gives birth, and in a season finale shocker the lil bugrat is…grown up Kai. Doesn’t matter then who plays Kai ’cause he is reborn and can be a different personality than we’re used to because we haven’t seen him alive all that much.

Anonymous

Maybe the wish of Zev joining Xev to double the fun could be a result of Prince and his weird harem ship. Maybe something of Kai was trapped in there too. Maybe the old Zev returns sharing the reborn personality of Kai’s Brunnen G mate, which could grow stronger as the episodes spun out. Maybe I should drink less soda pop late at night and put the potato chips away.

A reborn Kai would have to have some hero in him, but what else? Good sense of humor? Likes to play pranks? Or preachy? What are his weaknesses? An unusual knowledge of hairstyling? Maybe he would incessantly pester Stan to grow the Brunnen G hair, reciting stories of Samson from the lil blue planet and similar tales from his own world.

Anonymous

Originally posted by thefrey:
    If they were to use another actor to bring back Kai, which I think would be a bad idea, I think they should use some one like Ioan Gruffudd.
    http://www.ioangruffuddinternational.com/andehh.jpg
    [ /QUOTE]

FREY! Omygawdhomeygurlthatboyisdope! I’d date him. Oh, and I think he’d be an excellent new dead guy.

And, what about a little Eastern flavor? I think the ex-Monkey King, Russell Wong has great potential for a leading dead guy
    Russell Wong

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: BlackCloud ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    I agree that Kai should either be played by MM or no one, BUT, if I had to, I’d say Rudolf Martin has a similarly dark, brooding, morose, yet handsome face. He guest starred as Dracula on Buffy, and also played Vlad on the USA TV movie “Dark Prince, the True Story of Dracula”. He’s not as “pretty” as MM, but he’s the closest looking to him that I’ve seen in terms of a type (basic bone structure, black hair, generally deceased appearance, still a hottie.) !

Rudolf Martin is exactly who i had in mind. But, Kai is truly dead now, let him rest in peace. We’ll never see his like again! I’m all for more Prince though.

Anonymous

Mmmmmmmmm… Russell Wong. Yummy.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.