Who’s interested in Uncon 2002

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Conventions Who’s interested in Uncon 2002

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

The past week has been very exciting in terms planning Uncon 2002. We’re looking into the weekend of July 20th. Most people who have taken our poll, agree that that date will work. But not many people have taken the poll. We need to how many people are interested in going, so that we can start to block out rooms, before another con takes ’em. Please hurry, the poll ends Friday. (We need to give the hotels a number very soon!)

To take this survey, first you have to join the lexxuncon mailing list. To subscribe email: [email protected] You must also have a yahoo id. Joing the group and registering with yahoo is free and almost painless! The poll is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lexxuncon/polls

Joining the mailing list is one of the best ways to get updates on LEXX’s biggest convention. But most discussions will be held here.

If you don’t want to join the list, but are still interested in coming please contact me and let me know if July 13th or 20th works for you.

[ 27-01-2002: Message edited by: Headgehog ]

mandara k
    Participant

Hello Headgehog,

Since e-mail is not available to me anymore I have to use the board.
    So the 20th sounds good to me; but because I may be relocating to the western part of the US; I am hesitating to commit to booking a room; is there a place for last minute bookings? Im thinking of staying at the college. Hey, it’s remniscent of sneaking boys in an all girls dorm.
    Anyway, since I do not like autographs; is it possible just to say hi to these lovely people and thank them for their work. I would like to just do that; especially Mr. Downey, Ms. Zentilli, Mr. Gaines, and Mr. Bennett. And would you invite Mr. Simon-sez please?
    The chat; hmmmmmm. Who does this guy think he is; the Canadian Gigolo; the Gere of the Great North? He sounds like a gun for hire for criminy sakes. I say we pool our money and insist we get the bad girl special; full frontal. I’m sorry, Chippendales he is not.
    And the other two; who writes their material? It was like The Nightmare ep; boys you definitely need a new think tank. IT
    WAS LAME!!!!!! At least in the Wizard of OZ the flowers are promise of a real ride;( you
    know Poppies) but what state will you get to with sunflowers; an earthy-crunchy high? Break out the birkies, we are going in.
    Hey is the bar real though; what was it the Woodside in Dartmouth. Hey is it dark,
    smoky, and with a pool table and darts and threat of a brawl permeating the air? Actually I hate violence; and have actually got clocked for breaking up a fightonce butit would not be a good neighborhood bar without a little alcohol- assisted bravado thrown in the mix.
    Whywatch lexx, a violent show? Well, I tolerate the violence we live in a violent world but I only tolerate it in fantasy; I work against it in reality. Is that a contradiction; no, I don’t think so. Since I am the center of my universe; just as you are yours; you allow in what you want you keep out what you do not. I tolerate the violence of the show and a degree the sex to get at some of the concepts. A basic example was in that show in series three when Stan was enjoying a fruit salad with 2lovely girls and got worn out. Too much of a good thing may not be too good. Basic concept; pretty packaging; sound familiar?
    Well I got to fly; I hope to see y’all.

Mandara K

spots for the dancing fruit commercials Mr. M may be doing later on unless he finds a sugar mommy or daddy to take care of him.
    Thusthe rise and fall happens and the dance with oblivion begins. It is said that if you want to know the present you must look at your past and if you want to know what you will be in the future you must look at what you are doing in the present. We will see how this experience will unfold in the future. paraphrased by MK

mandara k
    Participant

Sorry part of the ending is from what I wanted to delete. The part about dancing fruit refers to the part i deleted that said the tree thing was good practice for possible later stellar performances unless he lines up a sugar Daddy or Mommy.
    That is cruel huh? Well, he does little to keep fans loyal from role to role and since he is not a run of the mill role guy, what will he do; what will he do?

See ya!!!

Mandara K

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mandara k:
    That is cruel huh? Well, he does little to keep fans loyal from role to role and since he is not a run of the mill role guy, what will he do; what will he do?

See ya!!!

Mandara K

ouch!…well, i thought the chat was a disappointment in that paul and lex were conspicous by their absence except for the odd throwaway bon mot…at least mikey tried to keep the conversation going…but i am still giggling at canadian gigolo and canadian gere ;-)…i really do not think it is that he thinks so much of himself, i believe that he wishes to discourage all the hoopla around him …funny thing is, mandara, is that a lot of people are just so enthralled with mm that they will see no wrong, so it really isn’t working(at least judging from the postchat comments )…anyway, he will do his theatre,and do it well, and i really do think he is happiest with that relative anonymity…let’s just hope paul and lex keep delivering products as interesting and innovative as lexx to keep us entertained

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mandara k:
    I am hesitating to commit to booking a room; is there a place for last minute bookings? Im thinking of staying at the college. Hey, it’s remniscent of sneaking boys in an all girls dorm.
    Anyway, since I do not like autographs; is it possible just to say hi to these lovely people and thank them for their work. I would like to just do that; especially Mr. Downey, Ms. Zentilli, Mr. Gaines, and Mr. Bennett. And would you invite Mr. Simon-sez please?

Actually the primary “hotel” really is a dorm. Dalhousie U. You can do last minite bookings, but I don’t recommend it. However you can book a room and cancel within 24 hours and not be charged.
    As for those actors, we have already gotten confirmation from soem and have asked the others. We’re just awaiting their confirmations.
    You don’t have to get autographs if you don’t want them.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:

As for those actors, we have already gotten confirmation from soem and have asked the others. We’re just awaiting their confirmations.

strong work, headgehog et al…what’s the word on appearances? or are you waiting to announce all at once?

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    strong work, headgehog et al…what’s the word on appearances? or are you waiting to announce all at once?

I haven’t decided yet, but the official date will be released soon enough. As for how announcing appearances, that’s a question that myself and the committee will decide Friday.

I’d just like to remind everyone that you need to let us know by midday Friday if the 20th or 13th works for you. We need this to make reservations at hotels! Your not commiting to anything yet. I know its too early to commit or get psyched up about, but we just need a round number. Honest if you back out in two months we won’t stalk you until you agree to come! So can everyone who hasn’t already, please take the poll, reply to this email or contact me.

Anonymous

Having had the pleasure of meeting Michael at both the beginning and the end of Uncon 2001, I can vouch for his friendliness and his blushing embarrassment at the fuss women make over him. I also heard a story of a young and overzealous fan who virtually assaulted him. Apparently he handled it by sitting down with her and talking to her about it. Amazing, if you ask me.

I met him at the end of a 12 hour shoot in the bar with Jeff. He was very animated and talkative and he was amazingly nice and polite. Jeff was terrific, too. He bought me a drink and showed me pictures of his kids. He also encouraged us to “kiss the 790 head”. What can I say? It had been a long day for everyone and it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Patricia and Rolf were wonderful as well.

In fact, EVERYONE was wonderful. They evidently believe the fans are the reason for the show. Of course, our efforts toward Season 4 could have something to do with that, I suppose…

Just my 2 cents…

– Vigdis

Anonymous

I am interested in Uncon 2002, I am working at a remote mining town in order to get together the airfair for the con.
    I am looking forward to Uncon a lot.
    Later
    D

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dragonchrome:
    I am working at a remote mining town in order to get together the airfair for the con.

Now that’s dedication!

I was wondering what ever happened to you. Well its good to hear fromyou again. You can goto the UnCon Web Page for news and updates.

Hope to see you there

Anonymous

Yeah, I work 6 weeks on 1 week off so you won’t hear from me for about 6 weeks then I will be back checking the board and posting, unfortunately I do not have internet access whilst working in the mining town. So I am relying on the board for updates(when I get back) I will also make a note of the Uncon webpage address and check that as well. I am sooooo looking forward to Uncon.
    Woohoo!!

later
    D

Anonymous

I haven’t heard much about UnCon 2002 in the last couple of weeks. I hope that is not a bad sign. Does anyone know how the planning is coming along? Will Brian Downey be able to make it? So far there are only about 30 people on thefrey’s website slated to come to Halifax.

Maybe I am just being a little paranoid or something – UnCon is still 4 months away.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jkd112:
    I haven’t heard much about UnCon 2002 in the last couple of weeks. I hope that is not a bad sign. Does anyone know how the planning is coming along? So far there are only about 30 people on thefrey’s website slated to come to Halifax.

Maybe I am just being a little paranoid or something – UnCon is still 4 months away.

The reason that nothing new has been posted on the website is that I’ve had midterms, and couldn’t find enough time to devote to it. I’m now scraming to put soemthing together before I take off for spring break.

Of course not a whole lot has happened in the last fortnight. We’ve decided on a nametage, and gotten word from Ellen Dubin that she is interested in attending. There’s more people attending, but the list just hasn’t been updated yet.

Like you said its still ~4 months away, in two months though, you’ll be bombarded with updates.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Headgehog.

Midterms eh? I can sympathise with you there. Although I am only taking one night class right now, I’ve dealt with midterms before and it’s no fun. Ah the things we have to do to make ourselves more marketable in the workplace… and therefore be able to afford trips to Nova Scotia…

DalekTek790
    Participant

The Fortean Society is promoting an event called the UnCon, at which Colin Wilson and Jan Bondeson will be among the speakers. Is there any relation between that and this UnCon?

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    The Fortean Society is promoting an event called the UnCon, at which Colin Wilson and Jan Bondeson will be among the speakers. Is there any relation between that and this UnCon?

The Fortean Society? Who are they?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

The Fortean Society? Who are they?

The Fortean Society is an organization devoted to the pursuit of pure science, the understanding being that popular science is dogmatic. It was founded in 1931 by Tiffany Thayer and is based on the teachings of the scientist/philosopher Charles Fort. The Fortean Society deals primarily with the New Dominant, that is, everything that is traditionally rejected by dogmatic science or materialism. Famous Forteans include Robert A. Heinlein (Red Planet), Damon Knight (To Serve Man), and P. T. Anderson (Magnolia). The Fortean Times website mentioned the upcoming UnCon 2002, and I was wondering if there was any relationship between UnCons.

Here are a few links:

The Fortean Times Online

Fortean Resology

Fortean F.A.Q.

theFrey
    Participant

So, DT. Tell me, what exactly made you think that there was the remotest possibility that the two conventions were co-joined? The twisted reasoning on that little jaunt of fancy would be of interest to me, and possibly a few others.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by the Frey:
    So, DT. Tell me, what exactly made you think that there was the remotest possibility that the two conventions were co-joined? The twisted reasoning on that little jaunt of fancy would be of interest to me, and possibly a few others.

I don’t know. I’m not really sure what either UnCon is, I thought they could be sub-sections of some big weirness event I’m somehow oblivious to. Who thought up the name UnCon? I thought maybe that was their inspiration. Sheesh, it was just a question. Why are you getting all harsh on me?

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Who thought up the name UnCon? I thought maybe that was their inspiration. Sheesh, it was just a question. Why are you getting all harsh on me?

Uncon is short for Unconvetion or Unconventional. Its called that becasue a lexx convention is unlike any typical scifi or star trek convention. As a matter of fact, it does its best to avoid doing the things that other cons do.

Sorry we just assumed that you (and all other lexxians) know what uncon is.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

I don’t know. I’m not really sure what either UnCon is, I thought they could be sub-sections of some big weirdness event I’m somehow oblivious to. Who thought up the name UnCon? I thought maybe that was their inspiration. Sheesh, it was just a question. Why are you getting all harsh on me?

Well I will tell you. Have you ever seen any mention of “The Fortean Society” which was founded in the ’30’s, Tiffany Thayer or Charles Fort the scientist and philosopher and how they interact with a cable TV show called Lexx on this board in all the time you have been posting here? Lexx, you know the show that was conceived in the 90’s.

You who pride yourself on your research and grasp of obscure topics and obviously went to the trouble of finding the location of their FAQ files? Please. Harsh? No dear when I get harsh there will be people running and screaming in panic, which is what happened to the last person to roll their eyes at me.

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

Hi Headgehog,
    I would be interested in coming to the uncon. I’m not convinced I can make it though. I’m going to have to calculate the finances 1st.

I don’t mind Dalhousie it’s cheap, though the bathrooms are a little bit too open plan

Kog

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: kaisothergirl2 ]

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by kaisothergirl2:
    I don’t mind Dalhousie it’s cheap, though the bathrooms are a little bit too open plan

I guess your not in college right now. I’m used to the bathrooms.

kaisothergirl2
    Participant

quote:

I guess your not in college right now. I’m used to the bathrooms.

LOL
    No I’m not in college now, been there done that. Actually I only suffered the open plan bathroom[with complementary statically electrified chase me ’round the cubicle plastic curtain]for the first year. Got sophisticated ‘an all in the 2nd and final year and shared a flat. I was the proud possesser of a bathroom with an inanimate door that shut and didn’t try to stick to my butt
    Kog

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: kaisothergirl2 ]

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.