why is LEXX the only good sci fi around?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst why is LEXX the only good sci fi around?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Sexecutioner
    Participant

hello I’m Sexecutioner. Why is LEXX the only acturally interesting thing around and everything else is just boring ramblings. I’m sorry but LEXX is the only thing that pushes my buttons and takes me away, everything else like Star Trek of watever is just…..blah!.

LEXX should get alot more recognition, I know some of you narks don’t understand it, but it really is the best thing around, and you know it New York!

Anonymous

Lots of reasons why LEXX is so cool.

Most peeps think it’s great because of the whacky story, or because it’s innovative. Some like it because it’s got some of the best special effects in TV Sci Fi and others because the actors are so hot.

Personally, I like it because of all of the above and it pisses me off that there isn’t very much cool sci fi out there to match it ๐Ÿ™

Sexecutioner
    Participant

It pisses me off that its not on Australian TV anymore ๐Ÿ˜ก ,

LEXX really is the only thing I like…..maybe if Captain Kirk [uses the Vulcan love-lock on] Spock I’ll like Star Trek more ๐Ÿ˜›

Don’t mean to be anal, but I slightly edited your post to make it sweeter (Logan)

nursewhen
    Participant
    Sexecutioner wrote:

It pisses me off that its not on Australian TV anymore ๐Ÿ˜ก ,

Hi Dude.

Sexecutioner
    Participant

…..I hate that word

lizard
    Participant

Hi Dude from me too (JJ? is that you??).

I have to confess that though I only watch it sporadically, enterprise really isn’t that bad. Especially if and when they decide to splurge on the special effects. I like it when they have scenes with the Xindi that can’t get out of the water for instance. They need to have a whole show about the water Xindi, but I think they don’t want to spend the money.

I wonder that no other show picked up on the appeal of excessive use of special effects as Lexx showed the way.

You could try reading for a while instead. There is lots of interesting fiction out there (it’s odd that many SF shows are all similar, but there is such a variety of fiction.)

Sexecutioner
    Participant

I’ve tried, but no other sci fi does it for me…..the first three Star Wars movies are ok I suppose.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

I too enjoy watching Lexx. I grew up on Trek but Lexx is truly something different. About the closest thing too it (in my opinion) is Dr. Who in terms of pure fanasy and imagination. Of course, Lexx really ups the ante with its blatant sexual themes and twisted humor (and graphics, lest I forget.)

I stay up all night on Fridays (early Sat) to watch it at 3 and 4am.

nursewhen
    Participant
    Sexecutioner wrote:

…..I hate that word

Shouldn’t have used it in your previous nick then. ๐Ÿ™„

lizard wrote:

Hi Dude from me too (JJ? is that you??).

Yes, it is

Deathscythehell
    Participant

muwahahahaha!! i had thought that my days of harrssing J_J were over when he was banned from lexx.com, but it seems that the powers that be have givin me a second chance

Sexecutioner
    Participant

I think its pretty obvious that I am Jacknife, I’m not trying to hide it. I even said on lexx.com, that Sexecutioner would of been my second choice for a username.

Flamegrape
    Participant
    Sexecutioner wrote:

I think its pretty obvious that I am Jacknife, I’m not trying to hide it. I even said on lexx.com, that Sexecutioner would of been my second choice for a username.

What about “Beefcake The Mighty”? I always thought that would be a good username. Once I saw a guy go by “Dumphrey Blowfart” and thought that was hilarious. “Twisted Fister” was another good one.

As for LEXX, it’s cult status will slowly grow in popularity over the years. I bet it will finally get noticed when Empty-Vee (or some other vapid pop-culture factory) airs it after it is bought by the same company that owns LEXX. Until then, it will languish in obscurity and continue to be ridiculed by the rest of sigh-fye fandom.

Sexecutioner
    Participant

people that ridicule LEXX need to die.

Deathscythehell
    Participant

like the MOD’s and adimins of this board say, be exellent to each other, none must die whether they like lexx or not

Flamegrape
    Participant
    Sexecutioner wrote:

Have you met Bonnee?

Hansuke
    Participant

The glory of LEXX is impossible not to see. What other TV show can you sit down to watch, and exclaim at the start, “I bet every extra on the show tonight is going to die”. ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous
    Hansuke wrote:

The glory of LEXX is impossible not to see. What other TV show can you sit down to watch, and exclaim at the start, “I bet every extra on the show tonight is going to die”. ๐Ÿ˜†

Highlander.

Plif
    Participant
    ”stormsweeper” wrote:

Hansuke wrote:

Highlander.[/quote]

LOL!!!!!!!

and Quantum Leap…ok, now Im just being silly….

PS – Sexecutioner – I bet youre a real smooth operator with the ladies….

Sexecutioner
    Participant

damn straight I am.

bonnee
    Participant
    Sexecutioner wrote:

Flamegrape wrote:

Have you met Bonnee?

Lexx died a slow, agonising death by becoming ridiculous – it disappeared up its own narrative arc in season 4, never to be seen again.

Pleased to meet you. ๐Ÿ˜†

Sexecutioner
    Participant

I just vodoo cursed you

Hansuke
    Participant
    ”stormsweeper” wrote:

Hansuke wrote:

Highlander.[/quote]

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

You got me there. I used to love that show. Never liked the Ritchie character though.

Sexecutioner
    Participant
    bonnee wrote:

Sexecutioner wrote:

Flamegrape wrote:

Have you met Bonnee?

Lexx died a slow, agonising death by becoming ridiculous – it disappeared up its own narrative arc in season 4, never to be seen again.

Pleased to meet you. :lol:[/quote]

firstly, it did’nt die a slow and agonising death, S4 was good, the writers just decided that, thats as far as the wanna take it, LEXX was never cancelled.

And what do you mean never to be seen again?, the show is still aired on TV, and all the seasons are out on DVD. And as soon as Xenia Seeburg gets the rights to LEXX, there will be a brand new LEXX movie or perhaps season, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!.

streudel
    Participant

firstly, it did’nt die a slow and agonising death, S4 was good, the writers just decided that, thats as far as the wanna take it, LEXX was never cancelled.

Firstly, I think you’re misunderstanding Bonnee. (Sorry if maybe I’m getting the wrong end of the stick, Bonnee) I think she’s just saying it sucked in Season 4, not that it was cancelled. ๐Ÿ™„

Although I’m glad they made season 4 for the handful of outstanding eps like ” The Rock ” and ” The Game “, I’d have to agree that it died a slow and agonising death. When you consider how long it was ( 24 episodes ) you had to sit through an awful lot of crap to catch the occasional good episode, IMO.

And what do you mean never to be seen again?, the show is still aired on TV, and all the seasons are out on DVD.

Once again, I think you’re taking her too literally. Lexx as we knew it had disappeared by Season 4. It had become lost in a boring, ridiculous, 18 episodes-too-long story arc. In short, LEXX took a flying leap over the shark when they turned up on Earth.

No one is saying LEXX can’t be found on TV or DVD. ๐Ÿ™„

And as soon as Xenia Seeburg gets the rights to LEXX, there will be a brand new LEXX movie or perhaps season, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

*takes a hit off of Sexecutioner’s pipe dreams and holds her breath while she waits* ๐Ÿ™„

bonnee
    Participant

thanks streudel – you sum my position up nicely. ๐Ÿ˜€

The only thing I would add is that, in my view, the series internal logic (cycle of time motif, eternal recurrence theme, etc) was completely abandoned in favor of the possibility of a redundant and illogical spin off (ie, without the character that effectively brings the lexx universe full circle again). I felt that the show had betrayed its own avowals and characters. That’s what I mean by ‘disappeared up its own narrative arc’ .

There were some great ‘stand alone’ episodes in the fourth season, but the narrative thread hung together very poorly – a situation not helped by the fact that there were too many episodes tenuously stringing us along. I recall complaining at the time that it felt as if they were making things up as they were going along (apparently they were), and made little attempt to draw on (or flesh out) its own history in the process. It just seemed to trade on our good will and memories, and invariably undid much of the good work that preceeded it. By the time Lexx completed its run, it had emptied itself of its own content – if only because Lexx 4 was running on empty (indeterminate season premise, ill conceived scripts, rushed production, etc).

There was a time I loved Lexx, and wanted to tell everyone about it. Once its completed its run, I made an appointment with Lacuna Inc in a failed bid to have season 4 surgically removed from my memory. Instead, the surgeons spent most of their time extracting bad carrots from where the sun eternally don’t shine.

Zargon
    Participant

Sorry guys but I just do not understand why there is such a Lexx obsession. I really tried to enjoy this show. In the begining it was fresh, new and interesting, but then it just started to get wacky. I feel it never really delivered what it promised. The show was not that funny, the plots were too out there and bizarre. Now don’t get me wrong I am not saying it is a bad show, just not for me.

theFrey
    Participant

You should hear some of the stuff Valdron has to say about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

As with most things, creativity can only go so far, because time and money rule in TV land also.

Stuff that might have been a kicker, turns out not to work quite as one would have liked and it will take time to reset, and reshoot and relight…. No time, we have no time people! Lets do something else and move on.

And money….. as great as the Game was, there were terrible times that they wondered if they were ever going to be able to finish it at all. Multiple re-shoots, editing time being eaten like popcorn…. they finally had to call in a bunch of freelancers and even then the darn thing was not finished until 10 days before airtime. Needless to say, this cost major bucks and that rippled down to episodes that followed it.

bonnee
    Participant

Unfortunately thefrey, the behind the scenes problems were all too apparent in front of us on the screen. I’m not sure what happenned during season 4, but it seemed to me that the makers committed themselves in advance of knowing what they were really getting themselves (or us) into. And given the show’s cult status and rabbid following, I felt that the arbritary and haphazard approach proved to be divisive amongst its own (dwindling) fanbase.

Personally speaking, I feel deflated and tainted by the entire experience.

Sexecutioner
    Participant

the new LEXX movie is’nt just a dream, I met Xenia Seeburg in person when she came down to Sydney, and she talking about the plans about a new movie, and that Michael Macmanus even agreed to be envolved

streudel
    Participant

I wish I could believe the Lexx movie isn’t just a dream, not so much for me, but for some of my friends in this fandom. I’ve said this before, so I won’t beat a dead horse, but I believe the creativity of Lexx is spent, as evidenced by S4, and Lexx should be left to rest in peace, standing on the poignant ending with Kai completing his journey. That being said, I would still be thrilled to bits for you and others who want to see this happen if it actually came to pass. Most especially if MM made an appearance. ๐Ÿ˜‰

However, Ms.Seeburg has been claiming things are in motion for a Lexx movie since the series ended. Not too long ago she stated in a magazine interview that she expected filming for the Lexx movie to begin in spring 2004. Perhaps it’s just that she has high hopes herself, I don’t know. But I’m not taking it too seriously until someone from a film company comes out with a press release stating filming has been scheduled.

These things are difficult to get off the ground even with funding, all the actors being on board, and a finished script. We Red Dwarf fans are painfully aware of this reality. ๐Ÿ™

streudel
    Participant

It seems to me there were a multitude of reasons why S4 didn’t work, but I think this is the main one:

Bonnee wrote:

…in my view, the series internal logic (cycle of time motif, eternal recurrence theme, etc) was completely abandoned in favor of the possibility of a redundant and illogical spin off (ie, without the character that effectively brings the lexx universe full circle again). I felt that the show had betrayed its own avowals and characters. That’s what I mean by ‘disappeared up its own narrative arc’ .

I think you put your finger right on it, Bonnee.

I’ve seen the budget figures per episode for S4. They were working on a shoestring. Obviously time was in short supply if they were completing episodes as late as 10 days before airing. However, it has been shown time and time again in sci-fi that a good story can overcome budgetary and time constraints. A lack of FX or spectacular on location footage could’ve been forgiven, abandoning what makes Lexx Lexx couldn’t. It seems the whole story arc was ill-conceived, in my opinion. Maybe with a little more time and money, they could’ve added a little polish to it, but ultimately, the story they were trying to tell wasn’t that good.

I have to wonder if they had it all to do again, if they would’ve made S4. Some of my favourite eps are in S4, but undoubtedly it turned a great many people off to Lexx.

Anonymous
    streudel wrote:

However, Ms.Seeburg has been claiming things are in motion for a Lexx movie since the series ended. Not too long ago she stated in a magazine interview that she expected filming for the Lexx movie to begin in spring 2004. Perhaps it’s just that she has high hopes herself, I don’t know. But I’m not taking it too seriously until someone from a film company comes out with a press release stating filming has been scheduled.

Agreed. Until there is independent confirmation from anyone, I don’t believe that she is speaking the truth. She may be being deluded by management or something, but there just isn’t a new Lexx anything in the cards. Saying that there is a film planned (at every event she’s been to in the last few years, to my knowledge) is just irresponsible.

I think Alliance Atlantis would be willing to sell the rights to Lexx wholesale, but to the right buyer. At this point, Lexx is a pure profit generator for them* and selling off the rights would lose them their income when they are having money flow problems. If the sum were great enough, however, they probably would. I don’t think they’ll be doing any more licensing of Lexx at all as they don’t want to fragment the property.

* The Lexx.com site being the last recurring expense for the show.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Considering she recently claimed again that defunct Salter Street was to produce the Lexx movie or series, she clearly lacks any credible insider knowledge. I’m tempted to think she, or her agents/partners who may be guiding her, are only trying to keep interest in Lexx alive, by claiming that it’s not over, so that they can keep her name out there and move more product.

”Stormsweeper” wrote:

* The Lexx.com site being the last recurring expense for the show.

Was sad about lexx.com… A very minor expenditure, but it yielded revenue and generated interest (not just in Lexx but in AA). I imagine many people bought the Lexx DVDs who wouldn’t have if they hadn’t become involved in the online community. AA’s impersonal treatment of the fans by not giving any warning was typical in my past experience with them — it’s not a great advertisement for their customer relations/business practices. I got into Lexx simply because it was a Salter Street show originally, and I felt some brand loyalty.

Ah well, there’s a new Lexx site… Is AA involved at all? Did they sanction it since I heard it was the new official site?

Anonymous
    Logan wrote:

Ah well, there’s a new Lexx site… Is AA involved at all? Did they sanction it since I heard it was the new official site?

Official by fan mandate, I guess. AA is not involved at all to my knowledge.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ”stormsweeper” wrote:

AA is not involved at all to my knowledge.

I didn’t think so, but I’m rather glad to hear it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sexecutioner
    Participant

Xenia would’nt lie to me

nursewhen
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Was sad about lexx.com… A very minor expenditure, but it yielded revenue and generated interest (not just in Lexx but in AA). I imagine many people bought the Lexx DVDs who wouldn’t have if they hadn’t become involved in the online community. AA’s impersonal treatment of the fans by not giving any warning was typical in my past experience with them — it’s not a great advertisement for their customer relations/business practices.

I think their treatment of the fans was quite shocking. Just a little notice beforehand to let people hive off their favourite stuff would have been nice. And now when people buy Lexx DVDs and the Lexx.com advert leads them to an address not found, what are they going to think? It’s not very professional to my mind.
    Since Paul still owns the address (I assume) would it be possible to get him at least to get a forwarding page put up to direct people to the new board?

Flamegrape
    Participant

I disagree with some of the critics of LEXX. I particularly enjoyed it when the continuity stopped making sense. In the past, I had argued that the fabric of existence had become shaken with the destruction of the Light Zone. Then the two planets Fire & Water that were some sort of metaphysical system that was destroyed and funneled onto Earth. And when the Earth was destroyed, the characters were left with a clean slate.

I didn’t really give a darn if the LEXX universe was brought “full circle.” I think that Kai, his struggle, and the Time Prophet was obviously a parody of far-fetched sci-fi cliches. Many fans expected big things out of Kai and his ongoing story. But what I had always argued was that Kai’s Hero story arc was over in the first five minutes of the first episode. He served no real purpose except for saving the other characters’ bacon. Granted, he finally got his wish to die a hero’s death in the end. But I also frequently argued that Stan and Xev were the real main characters and that Stan was technically the real Hero. Kai never developed further than he did in the first movie. I think it’s possible to continue the story after the fourth season without Kai. He was a joke that went on for far too long.

It would be depressing if the cycle of time repeated itself and all that horrible misery occured again. Why should we want that? Xev and Stan managed to break that cycle and turn metaphysics on it’s head (in their own blissfully ignorant way). I would think that demanding some sort of “order” to the story and continuity would be anathama to most fans. I enjoyed each episode at face value and I was tremendously entertained.

And I still maintain that “A Midsummer’s Nightmare” was brilliant.

But I’ve argue all of this before. LEXX is pure bulldada. Praise “Bob!”

iStan
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

Logan wrote:

Was sad about lexx.com… A very minor expenditure, but it yielded revenue and generated interest (not just in Lexx but in AA). I imagine many people bought the Lexx DVDs who wouldn’t have if they hadn’t become involved in the online community. AA’s impersonal treatment of the fans by not giving any warning was typical in my past experience with them — it’s not a great advertisement for their customer relations/business practices.

I think their treatment of the fans was quite shocking. Just a little notice beforehand to let people hive off their favourite stuff would have been nice. And now when people buy Lexx DVDs and the Lexx.com advert leads them to an address not found, what are they going to think? It’s not very professional to my mind.
    Since Paul still owns the address (I assume) would it be possible to get him at least to get a forwarding page put up to direct people to the new board?[/quote]

I have to agree with everything that you’ve written, nursewhen. It’s very bad public relations on their part and lexx.com was still getting new members and visitors regularly. One is tempted to think that AAC’s behaviour was ill-mannered and poor business, but their last annual report, which came out after the site was closed, did state that they were detaching themselves from all of the old series (serieses? serii?). Still, some notice would have been fair and decent. And it is hoped that the new site will get a redirect from lexx.com.

Jhevz
    Participant

I’m sure they will, iStan,
    It just takes time for people to see it & sign up; after all, the other 1 grew, may be this 1 will to. Just give it time & they’ll come.

I agree with you, Flamegrape,
    Our gang didn’t blow anything up, have big armys & such; it was a small group, saving both the Lt Universe from being destroyed, then exploring the Dark Universe for a new home. Our 4 main characters were smal, but they got the job done, especially Kai.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.