WOO-HOO! Wish me luck!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub WOO-HOO! Wish me luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sidhecafe
    Participant

Or rather my friends luck!

I’m assistant birthing coach to my oldest friends and she’s having contractions as I type!!

Just waiting til they’re at the stage to go to their birth center now and I’ll be on my way to assist!

Very exciting! Esp. with tonight’s full moon and lunar eclipse!

The waiting til she’s ready is KILLING me…..Patience is not one of my virtues!

Yeah babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Sidhecafe wrote:

I’m assistant birthing coach to my oldest friends and she’s having contractions as I type!!

It seems you were also having contractions as you typed: I’m”, “she’s”, “they’re”, “I’ll”. They’re sympathy contractions no doubt. Hey, I’ve got contractions too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Best of luck to you, and especially your friend. So did she give birth? Was it the real labour deal? Please let me know how it went.

It’s such a wonderful thing to be involved in that especially special event. Exciting times indeed!

Fifteen months ago I was a poor birthing partner. Having been convinced by a nurse over the phone that my wife’s contractions were nothing to worry about … yet (she thought it would be a long time before we should go to the hospital), inattentive me went off to the computer room to complete a review for this site — it’s such an extremely rare occurrence when I’m in the inspired writing spirit that I was a tad neglectful. Soon the contractions intensified, so we rushed to Emergency. Less than three hours later she gave birth. My wife forgave me me for my inattentiveness during her labour at home, but may still be peeved that I hogged the laughing gas in the birthing room. ๐Ÿ˜†

It is an exciting time, but also a worrying, stressful time. I really hope it’s gone well for your friend. Interesting that it happened during the lunar eclipse. I’ve heard that a full moon, and new moon, can help induce labour — the sun and moon’s combined gravity creating a sort of amniotic tide, perhaps.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Good luck! I too am awaiting the birth of a friend’s baby. 4 weeks early, contractions for a week and still we wait. This will be my second go ’round as assisstant birthing coach, let’s hope we can keep count (her husband coulcn’t last time). Come on full moon fever!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Logan wrote:

It is an exciting time, but also a worrying, stressful time. I really hope it’s gone well for your friend. Interesting that it happened during the lunar eclipse. I’ve heard that a full moon, and new moon, can help induce labour — the sun and moon’s combined gravity creating a sort of amniotic tide, perhaps

Wow. She knew she was going to have the baby on the full moon/lunar eclipse and we could see it from the birthing center.

But she actually had the baby yesterday. I think the total time she was in labor was 35 hours. We were up all night with her and eventually it became clear that she just wasn’t able to push the baby through.
    She wanted to do an all-natural drug free birth, had taken classes and prepared, (I attended some of the classes as were appropriate for an assisttant) She got so tired, but she was still trying so hard up until 3 in the afternoon yesterday.
    But the baby was just too big for her, so she had to have a c-section.

A boy, 9 lbs. 10 oz. ๐Ÿ˜€ โ— And she’s a tiny woman, no wonder!

It was hard sometimes to watch her go through all of it, her husband was excellent(she and I were both a little worried about how he we do). He was so supportive and her sister was with us too. I was wishing I could have done some of the contractions for her.
    Her midwife was amazing, very proactive and helpful.
    I was very moved by the whole experience, very honored that they asked me to be there and very priveleged to be the friend of such amazing people.

Logan wrote:

It seems you were also having contractions as you typed

I was! My brain just short circuited! I was routing calls to the wrong people at work and just being a general idiot I was so excited. I’ve been through alot with these 2 people. They’ve always been there for me. They’ve really helped and challeneged me whenever I’ve made big moves in my life – from leaving my fiance to deciding to apply to grad school. This was a wonderful opportunity they gave me to really be there for them.

aquabloodstone wrote:

let’s hope we can keep count (her husband coulcn’t last time)

We actually didn’t do the counting, just watching the time between contractions. Her husband took that job, he was very good with watching the time and keeping his watch handy. And it helped him to feel like he was doing something.

This was an amazing experience. I think we did a good job as a team to help how we could. I still need to catch up on sleep but it was worth it.

Thanks for the words!!!

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Congratulations on a healthy birth!

As the midwife who taught the last lamaze class I went to said, “Many women feel disappointed after a c-section because they feel they didn’t have a “natural” birth. Any procedure that results in a child being born is natural.”

9 lbs. 10 oz.

Whoo! Everytime I see a birth weight that high, I can’t help but think of my grandmother delivering my 10 lb father at home with no doctor. Thank goodness for technology is all I have to say!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

aquabloodstone, best of luck to your friend and her baby!
    And good luck yourself – remember to keep yourself hydrated too – one thing I slacked on and ended up horribly thirsty at one point just gulping back water!!!

“Many women feel disappointed after a c-section because they feel they didn’t have a “natural” birth. Any procedure that results in a child being born is natural.”

yeah I know she feels a little disappointed, the father too, after months of Bradley Natural Childbirth classes and both being very commited to a drug-free birth they ended up trying patossin (sp?) first thinking she was just too tired and the contractions were getting weaker the midwife thought the baby wasn’t turned all the way and that some of that would allow her to be able to finish the
    pushing, but the little boy’s head was just way too big.
    “Tab A doesn’t fit into slot B” – as the father said! ๐Ÿ˜†

But the baby is here and healthy and the mother is resting and being taken care of, and that’s what truly matters and is the best outcome.

Quote:
    9 lbs. 10 oz.

Whoo! Everytime I see a birth weight that high, I can’t help but think of my grandmother delivering my 10 lb father at home with no doctor. Thank goodness for technology is all I have to say!

yeah for technology is right. So she didn’t have to be in so much pain anymore. That patossin stuff was very agonizing for her. I was very happy when it was apparent she was going to need a c-section, it meant a quick end to her pain. I mean the midwife kept telling her she was getting closer but it was still far away from where I know she wanted to be.
    I can’t imagine what we would have done if there was no option like that. Scary to think of….

That baby is so cute. He’s worth all the effort in the world of course, but it just seems crazy that birth is so difficult for some of us humans. I think I’d rather lay eggs. ๐Ÿ˜›

Never been so thankful to be single ๐Ÿ˜‰ !!! Very far away from any decision like that! Whew! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

mysteriesofthesea
    Participant

to parents on both both new babies! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

……………….Stanelle

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Just thought I’d update for anyone interested. Baby girl came 20 days early on the 5th and everything turned out okay in the end. No C-sec, but she did get stuck and give all of us quite a scare until the “pale and limp” became pink and crying. Between being stuck and swallowing some amniotic fluid, she was juicy and needed suctioning out. Doc said she had about 45 seconds til an emergency C-section would have been required. 8 lbs even, nary a stitch for mom. All are home, healthy and safe. Whew!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Congrats!!! Best wishes to the baby girl and her family.
    I’m glad to hear it turned out well and no c-section.

Though it sounds like you had some scray moments there, it’s good Mom didn’t have to go through surgery too.

My friends are alos home now and adjusting to their new life as a family.

These little babies are such precious things.

Glad to hear it, thanks for the update!

And a girl too! Yeah!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.