World Cup part 2 (originally posted by Flamegrape)

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub World Cup part 2 (originally posted by Flamegrape)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

i will copy that last few posts from the previous thread for continuity.

Flamegrape
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 289
    posted 10-06-2002 05:06 PM
    ——————————————————————————–

quote:
    Originally posted by mary beth:
    i just want to say “GO TEAMS” USA, England, Brazil and any other teams that are the favorites of our members here!!! i may be a bit behind, i have only seen a few bits about the World Cup on the news and have been following this thread.
    i personally can’t stand American football! Soccer is much more exciting to watch! American football has about a minute of action for every four minutes of inaction, i.e. standing around, huddling, patting each others butt, moving the ‘ball’ around, checking the instant replay, that sort of thing. but maybe the thing that irritates me the most is how the players are treated. here in Dallas they are treated like gods. even though a very large number of them have been getting caught doing illegal things, like drug dealing, prostitution, illegal guns, and rape for example! the coach tried to take a gun on a flight and the owner, jerry jones, ran from the cops and said that he didn’t want his family to be late to church so he didn’t stop for the police when they tried to pull him over for speeding! and yet these idiots are held on a pedestal for our children to idolize! don’t get me wrong there are some very respectable players but unfortunately they don’t make the news very often for doing charity work. it is the screwups that are in the news all the time!
    sorry for the rant!

YAY WORLD CUP TEAMS!!!!

Mary Beth is correct in every single respect. She is absolutely right.

I’d also like to add that I don’t think it’s entertaining to watch jocko-homos costumed in outrageous parodies of butch masculiinity, slapping their bodies against each other in orgy-like piles of testosterone. You don’t see women wanting to play this sport because it’s strictly male homoeroticism. And the people of this country worship them as gods. It makes me sick. They can’t admit that the game is completely gay because these same fans like to beat homosexuals to death because of their perceived sexual threat. Hypocritical. Idiotic.

Furthermore, why do americans call their stupid homo-sport “football”?!?!?!? They don’t use their feet to move the ball at all! In fact, they rarely use their feet to kick the ball at all. And it isn’t even a ball! It’s an ovoid at best!

Dorks.

——————–

“We fight for Xev!”

Posts: 945 | From: Southern United States | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

Squishy
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 318
    posted 10-06-2002 06:30 PM
    Mary Beth, Flamegrape, I think you’ve just epitomised the world’s feeling of ‘what the F**K is that all about’ regarding American Football.
    Personally I find any sport that has long periods of people standing around both boring and a complete waste of time.
    It would appear American Football is riddled with drugs and corruption, which thankfully doesn’t happen that often in Football.
    We still have instances in Football where illegal substances are used,but these are muscle building drugs, and although I’m sure that their are a few players that do harder drugs, they are very much smaller group as opposed to American Football.
    Fifa, has cracked it’s almighty whip so hard that no one dare do such a thing.
    I’ve always thought of American Football as a non-skilled sport, getting people to run into each other hard doesn’t require much grey matter, whereas football requires skill and trickery, for instance the Brazilians.
    Unfortunately, it seems the people in power where sport is concerned in the US is the same people who have a vested interest in American Football, and that Football is not given much breathing space to grow over there.
    But Football is far more powerful and an exciting sport to be ignored forever, and these American Football chief’s will one day realise they cannot stop this game from taking their tired old sport away from the eyes of the American people.
    I hope the US team goes on to great things in this tournament as they throughly deserve to be there, and not only are they there for the small number of fans in the US, but also to wake America up to the fact that there is a better sport for them to watch, the longer they go the more American Football will lose it’s tenous grasp in the domination of the American sport market.
    And while we are on sport, congrats to Lennox, he finally laid the Mike Tyson/invicibility ghost to rest for good.
    England beating the Argies and Lennox destroying Tyson…can life be much sweeter?
    Go England and the US Football team.
    Squishy
    ——————–

Squishy…The silliest Cluster Lizard in the two known Universes.

Your penmanship is atrocious and you dress in the manner of a male prostitute-Mystery Men

Posts: 361 | From: Oxford, England | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged

Flamegrape
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 289
    posted 10-06-2002 06:55 PM
    Yeah, I’m really glad that Mike Tyson got the cr@p beaten out of him. You should have seen some of the sh*t that @sshole did on national television news. EVERYONE hates him.
    Anyway, back to the World Cup. I stayed up till almost 4 in the morning to watch the US vs South Korea match. *SIGH* Too bad they tied 1-1. Since I’m new to the World Cup, what does that mean for the US? Are they still in the competition?

And did anyone see that S. Korean guy get clocked in the head? Blood was gushing big time. But they wrapped his head up in a bandage-turbin and he went back into the game! That’s dedication.

——————–

“We fight for Xev!”

Posts: 945 | From: Southern United States | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged

Squishy
    Committed SadGeezer
    Member # 318
    posted 10-06-2002 07:51 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Yeah, I’m really glad that Mike Tyson got the cr@p beaten out of him. You should have seen some of the sh*t that @sshole did on national television news. EVERYONE hates him.
    Anyway, back to the World Cup. I stayed up till almost 4 in the morning to watch the US vs South Korea match. *SIGH* Too bad they tied 1-1. Since I’m new to the World Cup, what does that mean for the US? Are they still in the competition?

And did anyone see that S. Korean guy get clocked in the head? Blood was gushing big time. But they wrapped his head up in a bandage-turbin and he went back into the game! That’s dedication.

Yeah the US are most definitely still in it, they only have to either win or draw against Poland and they should be through to Phase 2, Poland are looking poor, so the US should do it.
    The groups are really tight, but usually you only have to win one and draw two to make it.
    Although, I’m really happy Lennox beat him, I gotta take my hat off to Tyson for behaving like a gentleman after, but he’s done too much in the past to be forgiven totally.
    But if this had taken place 10 years ago, I think Tyson would have won it, but then he’s usually banged up in the local pen to get to fight anyone!!!
    Back to the footy, I had a feeling the US would draw against S.Korea, they are very much like the US in that they are lively and quick, looking at it, it’s probably a fair result.
    I still think that the US have the edge, they have players who play in the best leagues in the world, teams like S.Korea don’t have that many players playing abroad, I think the experience the US team have will serve them well.
    A lot of the big teams are becoming unstuck against the likes of the US, mainly because these bigger teams vastly underestimate the smaller teams desire to win and carry a little arrogance, although once they get that out of their system, they will show the difference in quality.
    My bet for the World Cup is Brazil, they don’t carry the same arrogance as other’s, they just play their game and don’t worry about what other’s do, plus no one can touch them in their skill and ability, also that the other big teams look like they are heading for an early exit…who knows Brazil vs England may just yet happen.
    Squishy

——————–

Squishy…The silliest Cluster Lizard in the two known Universes.

Your penmanship is atrocious and you dress in the manner of a male prostitute-Mystery Men

Posts: 361 | From: Oxford, England | Registered: Sep 2001 | IP: Logged

Anonymous

England are throught to phase 2 Whoho!

Anonymous

yippee! America beat Mexico! yay go team USA!!!!! take that American football!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    yippee! America beat Mexico! yay go team USA!!!!! take that American football!

Well hopefully that result will wake the American people up in joining the global party of the World Cup.
    I saw the game, and the US deserved that win, to be honest I didn’t think they would get this far, but credit to them, they have shown that they can compete with the best.
    Now let’s see how the inferior American Football fares against the true game, so welcome America to the best sport in the world!!!
    It might sound a bit un-patriotic of me, but I don’t see England beating Brazil, unless of course Brazil have an off day, but I’m still hoping we can win it, and if we do then we should go and win the cup.
    PS, do the American peeps over there now know the name of Beckham and Owen?
    Go England and…Go USA!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

US did get a good win, you can argue about the handball in the box but even so they had an insurance goal.

Italy really got hosed today though

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.