World Cup

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

Anybody else in the world watching the World Cup in Japan?

I think it’s sad that football is the most popular sport in all the countries of the world except the United States. Stock car racing is more popular than “soccer”. I think “american football” is… well… DUMB. Football is a cool sport and I wish I could see more of it on american TV.

Anonymous

I’ll be watching the England matches and cheering them on (Even though I’m from Wales).

Oh yeah, Please DO NOT start a Football vs Soccer war, I’ve had enough of those to last me a lifetime

Also if Slovenia win then I win £50. It’s that Red Card game in McDonalds and they gave me the worst team imaginable…

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Raven:
    Also if Slovenia win then I win £50. It’s that Red Card game in McDonalds and they gave me the worst team imaginable…

ROFLMAO! It’s funny that McDonalds, an american company, sees the wisdom of cashing in on the popularity of the World Cup… but not in the United States! There is no such “Red Card” game at the McDonalds in the USA.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Anybody else in the world watching the World Cup in Japan?

I think it’s sad that football is the most popular sport in all the countries of the world except the United States. Stock car racing is more popular than “soccer”. I think “american football” is… well… DUMB. Football is a cool sport and I wish I could see more of it on american TV.

It’s kind of an irony that the coolest country in the world has barely any interest in the coolest game in the world.
    Unfortunately, there is going to be a rivalry between Football and the American version, I think it’s the case that the supporters of American Football will never accept football as a bigger sport.
    Hence why the rest of the world refers to the game in it’s true name of Football and America calls it soccer, but the Australians do the same, as they have their Australian rules.
    I kinda hoped that after World Cup ’94, the USA might have more of an interest in the game, obviously this was not to be.
    My guess is, is that the American Football bigwigs do everything they can to prevent Football getting a firm hold in the states, players (like every other sport) go where the money is, but it tends only to be the players in the twilight of their careers that go to the US.
    Whereas Japan are going nuts over Football and have been doing so for many years, many Americans won’t even recognise it, Football does have a future in the US, as many good American players are playing abroad like Brad Friedel, which will improve the games relations and image.
    Plus they have a squad in the World Cup,
    but America is still quite young in it’s interest in Football, USA 94 was perhaps too early to make an impression, I think it will take a little longer for America to get a taste of the beautiful game, but it will grow, Football always has, and one day Americans will tuning in by the millions for future World Cups.
    Squishy

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

I’ll be watching alright.

Right after the paint finishes drying, the grass finishes growing and I am so bored I would rather pull out my fingernails with a curling iron.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by theVodkaCircle:
    I’ll be watching alright.

Right after the paint finishes drying, the grass finishes growing and I am so bored I would rather pull out my fingernails with a curling iron.

Hahaha, yet another instance where the people of a country where the people feel that the sport that their good at is better than football.
    Americans believe that American Football, Baseball and Basketball are bigger than Football.
    Australians believe that Cricket, Rugby and Oz rules football is bigger.
    News flash, only in your countries, like it or not, it is the biggest sport in the world.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Well it looks like I can kiss goodbye to my £50 because Spain just beat Slovenia 3-1. But Slovenia have Paraguay and South Africa next, 2 relatively easy games. So they still might advance to the Quarter Finals…

Flamegrape
    Participant

Well, they are showing some of the World Cup games in the USA… in the wee hours of the morning! In the middle of the day, they’ve been showing one game on ABC. (Obviously pre-recorded because of the time difference.)

Does anybody know a webpage that keeps track of the leaderboard or whatever?

Anonymous
    Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Squishy:

News flash, only in your countries, like it or not, it is the biggest sport in the world.

Are you sure?! Someone told me that the biggest spectator sport (maybe that’s different) was something unusual like Formula One.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

Are you sure?! Someone told me that the biggest spectator sport (maybe that’s different) was something unusual like Formula One.

Yep, I am sure, F1 has a big following, but it can’t touch footy, on the day of a Grand Prix the fan turnout is larger given that they have a larger arena, but in terms of fanbase, there is nothing bigger.
    Also, the F1 fanbase is in a bit of a slump recently, which was publicly highlighted during the Schumacher fiasco.
    So I guess F1 is a larger spectator sport, but is not larger in fanbase terms.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Anyone see the England match?
    Damn them, they had the game in their hands and then decided to let Sweden get back into it, they had them on the ropes, but took their foot on the pedal…idiots!
    They play like that against the Argies and England’s World Cup hopes will come crashing down around them.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

I have seen many news stories here in the United States commenting about the apathy towards football here. According to all these news reports, football is, without a doubt, the most popular sport in the world. When you get down to it, it’s a simple game that anyone in the world can play. You don’t need expensive equipment, just a ball and two feet.

IMHO, the popularity american football is beginning to fade. This is debateable, of course, but the ratings for the Super Bowl (the so-called “world championship” of american football) has declined in recent years. And without a doubt, baseball has also declined in popularity.

“Soccer Mom” is a derogatory term used here in the USA. It describes an upwardly-mobile mother who typically drives a mini-van or sport-utility vehicle. The stereotype also implies that her kids belong to soccer teams and she’s the one who takes them and their teammates to practice and matches. You know what I mean, the busybody who bakes cookies for everyone in the office. LOL! (No offence to any soccer moms out there! I was just describing a derogatory term for our friends across the pond.) Anyway, IMHO, I think the mere existance of such a term implies that soccer is increasing in popularity in the USA. In a culture where hip-hop and raves are now popular, I think jocko-homo american football must be less appealing.

It’s also worth noting that soccer was lampooned on an episode of The Simpsons. The city of Springfield hosted the World Cup. The show acknowledged the fact that it’s the most popular sport in the world. But it was portrayed as dull and boring… and therefore started a riot! LOL

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing the match between England and Sweden later this afternoon. Yes, I know it’s already over, don’t tell me who won. It’s the only match they are showing on television here during the afternoon.

I got a question. Where the heck did the word “soccer” come from? I suppose I already know the general answer, but I was just wondering what others knew about it’s origin.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Anyone see the England match?
    Damn them, they had the game in their hands and then decided to let Sweden get back into it, they had them on the ropes, but took their foot on the pedal…idiots!
    They play like that against the Argies and England’s World Cup hopes will come crashing down around them.
    Squishy

Whoops! Oh, well. Too late! LOL!
    (See my post above.)

I’ll be watching the match anyway, beer in hand.

Maybe we should have spoiler rules regarding the World Cup! Maybe we should wait 24 hours before discussing matches? LOL. It’s no big deal. Talk about whatever u want, mates.

Anonymous

quote:

Whoops! Oh, well. Too late! LOL!
    (See my post above.)

I’ll be watching the match anyway, beer in hand.

Maybe we should have spoiler rules regarding the World Cup! Maybe we should wait 24 hours before discussing matches? LOL. It’s no big deal. Talk about whatever u want, mates.

Ooops, sorry Flamegrape, but you don’t know the score so it’ll still be worth watching!, and as your a neutral you should still enjoy it.
    Tell me, do you peeps over there know about King Becks (Beckham) and St.Owen (Michael Owen)?, or are they virtually unknown in the US?
    BTW, ‘Soccer Mom’ is actually a term that was used to describe people who rooted for opposing Presidental candidates, I guess that relates to Football in the sense that the US people didn’t understand the game and as a result had no preference as to which team won.
    Also this little extract from History of Soccer.com-
    ‘One nation that long resisted soccer throughout soccer history was the United States. Soccer was played, mostly among immigrants, but it was not until the 1970s that a national professional league gained some popularity in soccer history. The North American Soccer League (NASL), founded in 1968, brought Brazilian star Pelé (the greatest player in soccer history) to the United States, and by 1980 the league had 24 teams. The NASL suffered financially, and in 1984 it went out of business. However, the league left a legacy in soccer history of growing American involvement in the sport at youth level. By the 1990s soccer was the fastest-growing college and high school sport in the United States.

The growing number of players in the United States attracted sponsorship for the sport, and faith in its future was recognized by FIFA when it granted the USSF the right to organize the 1994 World Cup for the first time in soccer history. The event proved to be a great success, attracting nearly 3.6 million attendees over the course of its 52 games, another record in soccer history.’
    Obviously, there is still a lot of resentment from certain quarters in America to football, but this seems to stem from the fact that England invented it, and that they see it as a threat to American Football. The argument has raged on for generations, Europeans claiming that Football is better than American Football, and obviously Americans saying otherwise.
    The word ‘Soccer’ is actually a play on the word association, although many believe the word to come from the US, it didn’t, it came from England, although most of the world chooses (including FIFA the governing body) to call it football (although Football was first used to describe Rugby, which originated from Soccer), and it’s only certain parts of the world that use the term ‘Soccer’.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Soccer is very popular in the U.S. at all levels EXCEPT the professional level. The U.S. Women’s soccer team has obviously done extremely well in Olympic and world competition and plays before giant crowds here.

Although professional soccer does exist in the US and has a certain fan base, the general consensus seems to be that its lack of television exposure here has limited its growth. And the obvious reason for lack of TV exposure is that there are no ready made stoppages for ads like you have between innings in baseball and in the interminable stoppages and time-outs in basketball and football. Hockey used to have similar problems in the US and had to add the “TV Time-out”.

We also had tons of soccer coverage leading up to the World Cup on the Spanish language channels–they show all the big games from Latin America. And quite a few of the European championship events are on pay per view here so you know there’s some kind of an audience.

The most obvious lack of coverage though is on “sports” radio in the US. I say “sports” advisedly, you wouldn’t believe the crap that passes for sports talk on those stations.

Flamegrape, the official World Cup Soccer site is at:

FIFA World Cup[/url]

elmey

Anonymous

Although professional soccer does exist in the US and has a certain fan base, the general consensus seems to be that its lack of television exposure here has limited its growth. And the obvious reason for lack of TV exposure is that there are no ready made stoppages for ads like you have between innings in baseball and in the interminable stoppages and time-outs in basketball and football. Hockey used to have similar problems in the US and had to add the “TV Time-out”.

That would drive football fans nuts if the game got interrupted by ads, but it’s another good reason why it’s the most popular around the world, for the best part it’s non-stop.
    Unlike Cricket, which seems like it never actually starts because it is so incredibly boring, and Rugby, which stops almost every other minute so the big gay bears can get into a scrum.
    This is one of the reasons why Football has the edge over other sports, you are glued to your seat for 90 minutes.
    I would soon get fed up with Football if they had to stop for ads, thankfully the nature of the sport won’t ever allow that.
    I think I’m beginning to realise why America won’t embrace Football, as it appears to be totally the opposite of what America expects from sport, and probably the same reason applies to the rest of the world’s view of American sports.
    The funny thing is that America always comes across as an exciting fast paced country to me, in which Football should be well suited too, but I think it’s still going to be a very long time before the US joins the Planet Football party.
    Squishy

FX
    Participant

flamegrape; like elmey said, if you watch univision or the other spanish stations, it’s pretty much nonstop live soccer…also, if you have cable, they usually have at least one station which different countries share time on…so, like in new york, you would have the italians broadcasting at certain times, and the english, and so on…and they always show games, and update you on the world news including soccer…plus, it’s fun to get other countries’ take on the news, much less parochial than here in the states…enjoy! (love from fx who is feverishly hoping ireland doesn’t beat italy again as papafx was unbearable for weeks after that )

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:
    The most obvious lack of coverage though is on “sports” radio in the US. I say “sports” advisedly, you wouldn’t believe the crap that passes for sports talk on those stations.

Oh, I’d believe it. There is a talk-radio station nearby that starts talking about sports from 3pm until 11pm. And all they talk about, year round, is Vol (american) football. (The Volunteers is the college team that plays for the University of Tennessee.) Yes, even in bloody MARCH there are jackasses calling up the show asking about theoretical bowl games the Vols might play… and american football season doesn’t start until SEPTEMBER!

One thing to note about soccer on american television. They have been showing World Cup matches without commercial interruption! Completely amazing! Maybe not so suprising for ESPN, but they did it on ABC too! Or course they have commercials at hallf-time break, but that’s to be expected. But I think most of the matches are pre-recorded and I don’t know how long that break is in between the 45-minute rounds. Or whatever. (I need to read up on the rules of the game!)

Anonymous

quote:

Oh, I’d believe it. There is a talk-radio station nearby that starts talking about sports from 3pm until 11pm. And all they talk about, year round, is Vol (american) football. (The Volunteers is the college team that plays for the University of Tennessee.) Yes, even in bloody MARCH there are jackasses calling up the show asking about theoretical bowl games the Vols might play… and american football season doesn’t start until SEPTEMBER!

One thing to note about soccer on american television. They have been showing World Cup matches without commercial interruption! Completely amazing! Maybe not so suprising for ESPN, but they did it on ABC too! Or course they have commercials at hallf-time break, but that’s to be expected. But I think most of the matches are pre-recorded and I don’t know how long that break is in between the 45-minute rounds. Or whatever. (I need to read up on the rules of the game!)

A bit of footy education for you Flame, Football is split into two halves, and they are described as 1st and 2nd half, the break is called half-time, which lasts 15 minutes.
    Sometimes each half can run over depending on the referee’s decision, this is for any fouls or timewasting that teams might have done during each half, it’s simply called added time, and can be added at the end of each half.
    In some games, particularly knockout games, the game will continue into extra time, which is a further half an hour, with a short break in between.
    In this time, the Golden Goal rule applies (but this is being done away with), with this rule it is whoever scores first wins the game. If no one scores it goes to a penalty shoot-out, no one likes penalties as they are extremely nerve-wracking if you support one of the teams, and it’s not a very nice way to go out.
    The most common stoppage in a game is ‘offside’, this happens when a player for one team attempts to pass the ball whilst the person they are attempting to make the pass to is standing or running behind the oppositions defenders, if that player is alongside those defenders when the ball is played then he is not offside, also they cannot be offside if it is from a throw-in.
    Squishy

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

quote:

Hahaha, yet another instance where the people of a country where the people feel that the sport that their good at is better than football.
    Americans believe that American Football, Baseball and Basketball are bigger than Football.
    Australians believe that Cricket, Rugby and Oz rules football is bigger.
    Squishy

And your point is ?

Who cares what country likes what sport ? Millions of people like techno but that doesn’t make it musically interesting either. I find soccer incredibly dull.
    Not to mention the twats who carry on after scoring.

Anonymous

Flamegrape, did you see the Brazil game?, if not see if you can pick it up somewhere, they must have shown this one, it was absolutely brilliant…Brazil are back!!!
    Squishy

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Was that the game where the player was nominated for an academy award for over acting ?
    Either that or he has a direct nerve link from his leg to his face

Who got best supporting goalie ?

Flamegrape
    Participant

Go, go, go, USA! They beat Portugal 3-2!

Although I fell asleep and didn’t see it live, I’ll be watching it when they rebroadcast it this afternoon! So don’t tell me any details! LOL!

Anonymous

quote:

Was that the game where the player was nominated for an academy award for over acting ?
    Either that or he has a direct nerve link from his leg to his face

Who got best supporting goalie ?

Great advert for football ain’t it!!!
    That was Rivaldo, supposedly in the top three players in the world.
    But that had to be the lamest ever piece of play acting in Football, how he thought he might get away with that whilst the eyes of the world are on him is beyond me.
    He’s been fined £5000 for that, now that’s really gonna hurt his wallet with the money he’s on!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Go, go, go, USA! They beat Portugal 3-2!

Although I fell asleep and didn’t see it live, I’ll be watching it when they rebroadcast it this afternoon! So don’t tell me any details! LOL!

I won’t say too much, other than the USA did themselves proud, and if the US don’t sit up and take notice after that game, then I don’t know what will.
    So congrats US, beating Portugal is no mean feat for anyone, and they did it in style.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

I won’t say too much, other than the USA did themselves proud, and if the US don’t sit up and take notice after that game, then I don’t know what will.
    So congrats US, beating Portugal is no mean feat for anyone, and they did it in style.
    Squishy

Well, after seeing the game, I’m a little embarrassed. One of the two points that Portugal made was done by a USA player by mistake! It was so stupid!

In the news, they did manage to mention the game. Briefly. It should have been on the front page of all the newspapers, but it wasn’t.

Anonymous

quote:

Well, after seeing the game, I’m a little embarrassed. One of the two points that Portugal made was done by a USA player by mistake! It was so stupid!

In the news, they did manage to mention the game. Briefly. It should have been on the front page of all the newspapers, but it wasn’t.

That’s the difference between Football and most games, for the majority of fans it’s more about how they played rather than how many goals were scored, the win doesn’t matter, so long as the team did well…because at least you know the team can do well in difficult situations.
    The U.S’s own goal was unfortunate, but it didn’t matter as on the whole they outplayed Portugal, plus the fact that the U.S are ranked around 150th in the world and they beat a team convincingly, who are ranked 5th.
    If they can show the same spirit and continue the way they played, then it’s possible for them to go far in this tournament.
    And there is nothing to be embarrased about with the own goal for two reasons, 1:It happens to all the best players in the world once in a while, and Jorge Costa (Portugal) is one of the most experienced players in Football, yet he scored an own goal in that game, 2:It took a freakish own goal by Agoos for Portugal to get back in the game, realistically, Portugal had no idea on how to get past a well organised US defence, in truth they only managed a single goal against your team.
    So you should be proud of them, they battled hard to get that win, they showed true grit and determination to get a win that will be long remembered in World Cup history, in fact most round the world will now have to sit up and take notice that the US team is more of a force to be reckoned with than it has been in the past.
    There are so many positives to take from this game, that every American should be proud of what this team did for Football in America and did for America itself…no one should be ashamed of them.
    I only wish England would show that type of mettle when playing the likes of Argentina and Sweden, but it’s still a shame that even after this historic win, the people of America still don’t recognise the greatest game on earth.
    Squishy

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

I saw the US tv report on the teams performance on the news in Australia =)

I thought the announcer was very rude and disrespectful to the American team. He said something along the lines of if they keep this up, America may even notice. Hows that for saying “Thanks for representing your country with pride” ???

I doubt a basketball team would receive the same treatment. But anyway, well done USA, fantastic effort, regardless of the oppositions performance, a win is a win.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

I saw the US tv report on the teams performance on the news in Australia =)

I thought the announcer was very rude and disrespectful to the American team. He said something along the lines of if they keep this up, America may even notice. Hows that for saying “Thanks for representing your country with pride” ???

I doubt a basketball team would receive the same treatment. But anyway, well done USA, fantastic effort, regardless of the oppositions performance, a win is a win.

Unfortunately, it’s completely true. If I walked up to anyone around here and asked, “Did you know that the USA did well in it’s first 2002 World Cup match?” and they would have no idea what I’m talking about.

On the other hand, I went into a sushi bar and all the folks in there knew all about it.

Anonymous

FG–the win actually got noticed up here in NY! they even gave the score on “sports” radio (though no other World Cup scores of course)

The Times had a pic on the front page–they’ve actually had pretty good coverage of the World Cup in their sports section. (Yes they have one).

At least you don’t have to listen to your father ranting about Germany’s careless play against Ireland. God forbid they don’t win the game against Cameroon. He’s in Chicago and had to get up at 6:30 AM to watch–my brother’s in Santa Fe and got up at 5:30. They’re INTO it. They may be as fanatic as Squishy

elmey

Anonymous

Today, England vs. Argentina.

England won.

GOD BLESS THE LIMEYS! WOOHOO!

(Cue ‘God Save The Queen.)

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: The Invisible Lunatic ]

Anonymous

Although I really should have mentioned that the only players who actually seemed to be earning their pay were Seaman, Owen and Sheringham, don’t you? ANd the second half was EXCRUCIATINGLY boring, with England going for a totally defensive tactic, and not showing that famous English flair.

But anyway….

GOOD SHOW ENGLAND! GOD SAVE THE LIMEYS etc.etc.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by The Invisible Lunatic:
    Although I really should have mentioned that the only players who actually seemed to be earning their pay were Seaman, Owen and Sheringham, don’t you? ANd the second half was EXCRUCIATINGLY boring, with England going for a totally defensive tactic, and not showing that famous English flair.

But anyway….

GOOD SHOW ENGLAND! GOD SAVE THE LIMEYS etc.etc.

Actually, Butt and Sinclair played quite well too, for me Rio Ferdinand was man of the match though, he shut out everything those evil Argies had to throw at us.
    I think England got their inspiration from Ireland and the US, it just goes too show that even if the opposition is superior, showing courage and determination can win the day.
    But England need to get their fitness levels sorted out, the game started to go the same way as Sweden in the 2nd half, where they let the Argies get back into it and had to hang on for the win, but you could see they were really tired.
    But it’s nice to get one over the Argies, they are a good team, but they are also major league cheats, so it was good we had ol’ fish eyes (Collina) as ref, he is the best ref there is, and he wasn’t fooled by the Argies usual dirty tricks.
    After all the usual banter of the Argies viewing this as a way to get back at us for the Falklands, it was great that England responded, even now they are planning to try and take the Falklands back, because their economy has failed, well let em’ try…we’ll kick their arses again!!!
    Well done England…you did us proud.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

Woohoo! Way to go, England! I’m so happy they beat Argentina. RIGHT ON!

Anonymous

quote:

Woohoo! Way to go, England! I’m so happy they beat Argentina. RIGHT ON!

All together now…’It’s coming home, it’s coming home, it’s coming, Football’s coming home!!!’…I’m not a fanatic, honest!!!
    I get the feeling that many Americans dislike the Argies as much as we do, I hope the US get to meet the Argies, I reckon the US could do em as well!
    Squishy

Anonymous

En-ga-land, En-ga-land, Ed-ga-land, Na Na, were gonna score one more than you

Anonymous

i just want to say “GO TEAMS” USA, England, Brazil and any other teams that are the favorites of our members here!!! i may be a bit behind, i have only seen a few bits about the World Cup on the news and have been following this thread.
    i personally can’t stand American football! Soccer is much more exciting to watch! American football has about a minute of action for every four minutes of inaction, i.e. standing around, huddling, patting each others butt, moving the ‘ball’ around, checking the instant replay, that sort of thing. but maybe the thing that irritates me the most is how the players are treated. here in Dallas they are treated like gods. even though a very large number of them have been getting caught doing illegal things, like drug dealing, prostitution, illegal guns, and rape for example! the coach tried to take a gun on a flight and the owner, jerry jones, ran from the cops and said that he didn’t want his family to be late to church so he didn’t stop for the police when they tried to pull him over for speeding! and yet these idiots are held on a pedestal for our children to idolize! don’t get me wrong there are some very respectable players but unfortunately they don’t make the news very often for doing charity work. it is the screwups that are in the news all the time!

sorry for the rant!

YAY WORLD CUP TEAMS!!!!

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    i just want to say “GO TEAMS” USA, England, Brazil and any other teams that are the favorites of our members here!!! i may be a bit behind, i have only seen a few bits about the World Cup on the news and have been following this thread.
    i personally can’t stand American football! Soccer is much more exciting to watch! American football has about a minute of action for every four minutes of inaction, i.e. standing around, huddling, patting each others butt, moving the ‘ball’ around, checking the instant replay, that sort of thing. but maybe the thing that irritates me the most is how the players are treated. here in Dallas they are treated like gods. even though a very large number of them have been getting caught doing illegal things, like drug dealing, prostitution, illegal guns, and rape for example! the coach tried to take a gun on a flight and the owner, jerry jones, ran from the cops and said that he didn’t want his family to be late to church so he didn’t stop for the police when they tried to pull him over for speeding! and yet these idiots are held on a pedestal for our children to idolize! don’t get me wrong there are some very respectable players but unfortunately they don’t make the news very often for doing charity work. it is the screwups that are in the news all the time!

sorry for the rant!

YAY WORLD CUP TEAMS!!!!

Mary Beth is correct in every single respect. She is absolutely right.

I’d also like to add that I don’t think it’s entertaining to watch jocko-homos costumed in outrageous parodies of butch masculiinity, slapping their bodies against each other in orgy-like piles of testosterone. You don’t see women wanting to play this sport because it’s strictly male homoeroticism. And the people of this country worship them as gods. It makes me sick. They can’t admit that the game is completely gay because these same fans like to beat homosexuals to death because of their perceived sexual threat. Hypocritical. Idiotic.

Furthermore, why do americans call their stupid homo-sport “football”?!?!?!? They don’t use their feet to move the ball at all! In fact, they rarely use their feet to kick the ball at all. And it isn’t even a ball! It’s an ovoid at best!

Dorks.

Anonymous

Mary Beth, Flamegrape, I think you’ve just epitomised the world’s feeling of ‘what the F**K is that all about’ regarding American Football.
    Personally I find any sport that has long periods of people standing around both boring and a complete waste of time.
    It would appear American Football is riddled with drugs and corruption, which thankfully doesn’t happen that often in Football.
    We still have instances in Football where illegal substances are used,but these are muscle building drugs, and although I’m sure that their are a few players that do harder drugs, they are very much smaller group as opposed to American Football.
    Fifa, has cracked it’s almighty whip so hard that no one dare do such a thing.
    I’ve always thought of American Football as a non-skilled sport, getting people to run into each other hard doesn’t require much grey matter, whereas football requires skill and trickery, for instance the Brazilians.
    Unfortunately, it seems the people in power where sport is concerned in the US is the same people who have a vested interest in American Football, and that Football is not given much breathing space to grow over there.
    But Football is far more powerful and an exciting sport to be ignored forever, and these American Football chief’s will one day realise they cannot stop this game from taking their tired old sport away from the eyes of the American people.
    I hope the US team goes on to great things in this tournament as they throughly deserve to be there, and not only are they there for the small number of fans in the US, but also to wake America up to the fact that there is a better sport for them to watch, the longer they go the more American Football will lose it’s tenous grasp in the domination of the American sport market.
    And while we are on sport, congrats to Lennox, he finally laid the Mike Tyson/invicibility ghost to rest for good.
    England beating the Argies and Lennox destroying Tyson…can life be much sweeter?
    Go England and the US Football team.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

Yeah, I’m really glad that Mike Tyson got the cr@p beaten out of him. You should have seen some of the sh*t that @sshole did on national television news. EVERYONE hates him.

Anyway, back to the World Cup. I stayed up till almost 4 in the morning to watch the US vs South Korea match. *SIGH* Too bad they tied 1-1. Since I’m new to the World Cup, what does that mean for the US? Are they still in the competition?

And did anyone see that S. Korean guy get clocked in the head? Blood was gushing big time. But they wrapped his head up in a bandage-turbin and he went back into the game! That’s dedication.

Anonymous

quote:

Yeah, I’m really glad that Mike Tyson got the cr@p beaten out of him. You should have seen some of the sh*t that @sshole did on national television news. EVERYONE hates him.

Anyway, back to the World Cup. I stayed up till almost 4 in the morning to watch the US vs South Korea match. *SIGH* Too bad they tied 1-1. Since I’m new to the World Cup, what does that mean for the US? Are they still in the competition?

And did anyone see that S. Korean guy get clocked in the head? Blood was gushing big time. But they wrapped his head up in a bandage-turbin and he went back into the game! That’s dedication.

Yeah the US are most definitely still in it, they only have to either win or draw against Poland and they should be through to Phase 2, Poland are looking poor, so the US should do it.
    The groups are really tight, but usually you only have to win one and draw two to make it.
    Although, I’m really happy Lennox beat him, I gotta take my hat off to Tyson for behaving like a gentleman after, but he’s done too much in the past to be forgiven totally.
    But if this had taken place 10 years ago, I think Tyson would have won it, but then he’s usually banged up in the local pen to get to fight anyone!!!
    Back to the footy, I had a feeling the US would draw against S.Korea, they are very much like the US in that they are lively and quick, looking at it, it’s probably a fair result.
    I still think that the US have the edge, they have players who play in the best leagues in the world, teams like S.Korea don’t have that many players playing abroad, I think the experience the US team have will serve them well.
    A lot of the big teams are becoming unstuck against the likes of the US, mainly because these bigger teams vastly underestimate the smaller teams desire to win and carry a little arrogance, although once they get that out of their system, they will show the difference in quality.
    My bet for the World Cup is Brazil, they don’t carry the same arrogance as other’s, they just play their game and don’t worry about what other’s do, plus no one can touch them in their skill and ability, also that the other big teams look like they are heading for an early exit…who knows Brazil vs England may just yet happen.
    Squishy

Anonymous

i am going to go ahead and close this thread and start another one.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.