Writing Aids – What’s your favorite

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Original Science Fiction Writing Aids – What’s your favorite

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant
    7th_Dizbuster wrote:

I need help. A few weeks ago I started writing my first novel. I ahve had the idea for some time but never got round to putting finger to keyboard. The first chapter rolled off quite easily although it needs the rough edges filing off and some parts fleshing out, it says what I wnat it to say. The second chapter is just not working. I know where I want the story to go but I keep getting bogged down in technicalities and although I have found researching RAM jets and RAIR propulsion systems fasinating, it could bore the pants off any readers, if anyone ever reads it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have one fanfic completed (56 pages) and one series in progress (40 pages)

Okay, so the series is stalled, work, real life, labor activism ect… have taken their toll. But, I am interested in the mechanic of writing. I have found a program on the net that looks very interesting in assisting (compelling) you to lay out plot points, conflicts, characterizations ect…. It is call “Power Structure” I wanted to get a copy for my b-day last year, but I didn’t order it in time and theBrother got me something else.

However I would love to hear is anyone has used it. I downloaded the evaluation copy (crippleware) but haven’t had the time to delve into it too much.

What do the rest of you budding writers do for structure? File cards layed out like a fortune teller? Another comp program? what?

Anonymous

Most writers blow their wad in the first 30-50 pages then lose interest. It’s very common.

While I’ve never used the program you’re talking about, I find it much easier to finish something when you spend the time to write out a story and character arcs including character developement. Then divide it up into chapters including what you want to accomplish in those chapters. Keeping in mind you’ll have an entirely seperate section for your character arcs, artifacts (unique technology or fantasy) you dont need to include those yet in chapter summaries. Keep it simple, don’t get too ambitious at first, and slowly add more and more details to the summary. Using IWHS for example, you’ll end up with something like this only more detailed to whatever you’re writing including notes for your own protection*:

Prologue
    End of the Brunnin-G. Introduction of Kai, HDS. Developement of Kai the Hero. Transistion, death of Kai, destruction of Brunnis2. Setup for Divine Assassin.

Ch. 1
    Introduction to Stan Tweedle, Divine Order. A lowely security guard is awakened in a uniform world with no friends, no hope, no justice. Hints of his past and why he is a traitor. (*Make sure you dont reveal too much here)

Then build each chapters setting and do an end-run before you start your dialogue.

Prologue.
    Backdrop of Brunnis2. Kai and a group of rebels send a last ditch effort to destroy a massive ship called the Foreshadow. The Foreshadow is a large spider-web like machine capable of destroying entire planets (think death-star). Kais friends die all around him but he continues, finally crashing himself into the bridge of the Foreshadow, where he confronts HDS.

Chapter 1.
    Stan awakens in a cubicle to the sounds of propaganda of the Divine Order. Once again defying the laws due to his protection status as a traitor, he finds himself accountable for his actions. (Maybe even add some irony here, like another Security Guard sentencing him or carrying out the punishment)

The point is, spending time on doing this doesn’t take long when you already have your story worked out in your head. And doing this will help you to develop it. Finally, it prevents me at least from running into the problem of hitting pg. 46 and realizing Im not sure where to go from here, or how to transition, etc.. But because now the story is already written, you need only peek over at your notes to know where to go next. It’s of paramount importance for other reasons too. Many writers finish the first couple chapters then spend months editing and filling in more details. Your notes should tell you EXACTLY what you what to accomplish in each chapter, where it should end, and what the transition should be.

It might be different for everyone, but this works for me.

kokopelli
    Participant

Hi TheFrey:
    Where does that name come from?
    It seems to me if you let the machine do it, you won’t put enough of yourself into it, like Lexxlurker suggests. Also i think you might end up following someone else’s structure instead of your own.

The file folder sytem on Window is a good linear organization.

But maybe that software might be good if it can do word searches to create indexes and provide links to titled sections on keywords such as in Wikipedia.
    Depends what features it has.

I think if you want to study or have some guidelines for writing or screenplays there are some very good books out there. I would just keep a copy to refer to it.

I was looking at Alex Epsteins webpages today, good information. probably good books.

http://www.craftyscreenwriting.com/tv.html
    http://www.craftyscreenwriting.com/screenplay.html

————
    P.S.

The screensavers on your site, front page, end up like this:

“Site not found
    The URL you entered cannot be located at this site. The domain may no longer exist here, or you may have an invalid URL. “

Anonymous
    Inactive

A secretary is one of the most useful writing aides around.

theFrey
    Participant
    kokopelli wrote:

Hi TheFrey:
    Where does that name come from?

My father and his father before him.

kokopelli
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Yeah but the secretary’s salary is expensive. I’m saving my money up for a mistress.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

Oh dear, have I started something?

I am an IT consultant by trade / profession, I have planned and installed systems for UK government departments, utilities and industry. I constantly preach about organisation and planning but I have got to admit my own system is a MESS. I am doing all my writing on my trusty 5 year old laptop (built like a Russian tank and just as fast) and all my ideas and notes are either in my head of on Post-it Notes. I have got to get it together!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    kokopelli wrote:

Logan wrote:

Yeah but the secretary’s salary is expensive. I’m saving my money up for a mistress.[/quote]

Sure, as long as she’s good at taking dictation… trust me, avoid the Dominatrix Mistress type.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Logan wrote:

Sure, as long as she’s good at taking dictation… trust me, avoid the Dominatrix Mistress type.

I prefer a maid, to take care of all those distractions, like cooking, pouring champagne….so I can concentrate on writing.

If you want to get anything done stay away from the Doms….

kokopelli
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

kokopelli wrote:

Logan wrote:

Yeah but the secretary’s salary is expensive. I’m saving my money up for a mistress.[/quote]

Sure, as long as she’s good at taking dictation… trust me, avoid the Dominatrix Mistress type.[/quote]

Ah….Logan it goes this way:

Dom = Wife.
    Sub = Mistress.
    If you get this mixed up you’ve been misinformed. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    If you can afford a mistress and a maid. That’s not a bad solution.

A mistress, a wife and a maid… maybe that’s a complete universe.

Suits the “Higamous hHgamus” theory.
    —————————————-
    Hogamous, Higamous,
    Man is polygamous.
    Higamous, Hogamous,
    Woman is monogamous.
    – William James

mandara k
    Participant

I have no problem with guys and their catting ways, it’s natural. i just don’t want to be lied to about them. I prefer the horizontal mamba 2 times a day when I have the right combo of guy, but you know I’m not greedy. So please have all of the above, but when it’s my turn, you had better be all about me. or whatever i am in your universe… or it will falter.

Maid – no whitey tidies
    Wife- no hauling kids around, or the other wifely duties, it’s me, with the pool boy and a bowl of fruit and the whipped cream in your bed

Mistress- you are not getting a piece, ever, but you will pay my bills

Does it make me a whore? No, it makes me an aware person, i know who i am and what gives me joy. That is why it’s feast or famine for me. I’ve been starving myself for years because well i’m particular about men.

I mean, don’t you think it’s easier for men than women to get needs met. I do. There is always some young thing that will ease a guys pain or part i should say. It’s that age oldidea that an older woman should tell younger women. banging a guy and then trying to get them to love you is a crap shoot. Find out who you are first, then align yourself with those guys that are like you. And truthfully align, not a “Me too” just agree with them while you lie through your teeth. The truth always comes out in the end anyway,.You might as well start with that.

How’s that for “it’s about me” ๐Ÿ˜ณ I just don’t think you need 4 women if you were completely honest with yourself and what you want.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice to see you again, Mistress DoMandaraix. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just read Mister Kokopelli’s response…

kokopelli wrote:

Logan wrote:

kokopelli wrote:

Logan wrote:

Sure, as long as she’s good at taking dictation… trust me, avoid the Dominatrix Mistress type.[/quote]

Ah….Logan it goes this way:

Dom = Wife.
    Sub = Mistress.
    If you get this mixed up you’ve been misinformed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A mistress, a wife and a maid… maybe that’s a complete universe….[/quote]

In a sense, but I like to play with words almost as much as I like to play with myse… I mean the ladies. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Just so no one is mistaken…

I noted the Mr. Winky in your post, so if I come across as rather misguided with this pedanticism, please dismiss it. Not claiming you really misconstrued what I said.

Does it sound oxymoronic? Perhaps, but I have never claimed not to be moronic. Was I misinformed? No, but it wouldn’t be the first time I was misled by a cruel Mistress dragging me by a leash. ๐Ÿ˜†

So sorry sounding dismissive, but I didn’t misstress, mistype, or misuse the phrase “Dominatrix Mistress type“. Like so many words, mistress has several meanings/connotations.

Your wife can also be the mistress, as in female head of the household. As for ‘pro dominatrixes’ who commonly call themselves Mistress so-and-so, they may be the ones cracking the whip, but of course you’re the guy who is paying them to do it.

Mistress can refer to a woman a married man is having an affair with, sometimes paying the keep of, but it can also mean a female authoritarian figure — including the dominant figure (female) in a relationship (sado-masochistic or otherwise).

As for a maid, doesn’t need to be a domestic servant, can be any young unmarried girl (short for maiden).

-Master Logan

Anyway, I don’t know much about good writing aid programs (other than using a spell-checker when writing long documents), but a sextant and compass may be a good reading aid for navigating my posts.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Is this a thread or a labyrinth????

From writing aids, to the sexploitation of women and back again… ๐Ÿ˜† so back to the writing anyone???

because I’m finally getting it regular again ๐Ÿ˜ˆ and now I’m hardly writing at all!

So writing aids….like catalysts perhaps??? my old writing workshop leader had great excercises…one of my favs was to read a poem and use it to start freewriting.

Or from a picture or collection of pictures you’ve never seen before.

My mission this evening is to go home, talk to my sister, eat dinner and get infront of my computer…I’ve got one character waiting for me, and at least 2 other story ideas.

Wish me luck!

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

I’m finally getting it regular again

I am glad to hear the high fibre diet is starting to work. If only the creative juices were as easy to free up. Good luck!!

Sidhecafe
    Participant

7th_Dizbuster wrote:

I am glad to hear the high fibre diet is starting to work. If only the creative juices were as easy to free up. Good luck!!

:mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

not exactly what I meant but that’s funny!! heehee

However, sex and toliet humor aside, I did get some writing done and I found listening to soundtracks was a nice way to put me in an imaginative frame of mind.
    Listened to soundtracks of: Gladiator and Ghost in the Shell.

why they both start with the letter G – I don’t know.

Anybody else get fixated on letters in their writing???

I’m very fond of names that start with M.

Quote from Fowler:

“Writing is easy, just stare at a blank page until the blood drips from your forehead.”

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

Not exactly a letter but I have a fixation with eyes, see my Chapter I Part I entry. Everything seems to focus on the main characters’ eyes. Still I suppose “his butt was drawing her in ..” doesn’t quite work and neither does “Without visible breasts to convey emotion she looked like a cobra preparing to strike.”

kokopelli
    Participant
    Sidhecafe wrote:

:mrgreen: ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

not exactly what I meant but that’s funny!! heehee

However, sex and toliet humor aside, I did get some writing done and I found listening to soundtracks was a nice way to put me in an imaginative frame of mind.
    Listened to soundtracks of: Gladiator and Ghost in the Shell.

why they both start with the letter G – I don’t know.

Quote from Fowler:

“Writing is easy, just stare at a blank page until the blood drips from your forehead.”

Yes i like love letters. Also, I like the letters “K” and “Z” they are both freaky and zexy and give us lots of good things like Klones and Klowns and Kippers and Zones and Zippers. “F” is a Fun letter too but i’m often timid about using it.

Writing actually kills many people. It killed Hemmingway and Hart Crane and destroyed Melville and Steinbeck so that they gave it up completely. Maybe it killed Dylan Thomas too. I heard a story of a Chinese Writer who strived through adversity to get his first book published and then was executed for it.

“There’s no success like failure and failure’s no success at all” …Bob Dylan

Maybe writers should act like boxers as regards sex.. tanatalize themselves but deny themselves so they can KO the keyboard/pen/whatever.

theFrey
    Participant
    kokopelli wrote:

Maybe writers should act like boxers as regards sex.. tanatalize themselves but deny themselves so they can KO the keyboard/pen/whatever.

Hummm, now this sounds like the theory the Live Kai in Fluff Daddy was following…. and since the beans are writers… and they wrote the script…. this may be a defining truth here. ๐Ÿ˜€

kokopelli wrote:

Writing actually kills many people. It killed Hemmingway and Hart Crane and destroyed Melville and Steinbeck so that they gave it up completely. Maybe it killed Dylan Thomas too. I heard a story of a Chinese Writer who strived through adversity to get his first book published and then was executed for it.

Perhaps that is why people pull back at 30-40 pages? Could it be that they feel their life forces draining away from them and into the manuscript? They know themselfs to be teedering on the brink….. and pull back just, in the nick, of time! ๐Ÿ˜€

kokopelli
    Participant
    theFrey wrote:

Hummm, now this sounds like the theory the Live Kai in Fluff Daddy was following…. and since the beans are writers… and they wrote the script…. this may be a defining truth here. ๐Ÿ˜€

I don’t understand the reference here…fom LEXX?

theFrey
    Participant

Yes, Lexx. The character Kai, had a alter-ego (?) sort of copy here on earth when the crew arrived.

Anyhow, this Kai was a performance art nut-case actor who went on and on about his art and how you had to experience pain for your art. And part of the way he gathered his innerself together for a performance was to eliminate any kind of sexual activities while performing….. The amount of time for this abstinence was going to be six months…. (thoughtful pause) or longer if his grant was extended. ๐Ÿ˜€

kokopelli
    Participant
    theFrey wrote:

Yes, Lexx. The character Kai, had a alter-ego (?) sort of copy here on earth when the crew arrived.

Anyhow, this Kai was a performance art nut-case actor who went on and on about his art and how you had to experience pain for your art. And part of the way he gathered his innerself together for a performance was to eliminate any kind of sexual activities while performing….. The amount of time for this abstinence was going to be six months…. (thoughtful pause) or longer if his grant was extended. ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you. I apologize for my LACKK of LEXX, but I was working overseas the series ran. I have however seen a fair number of rerun eps.
    I really am nuts about the sex model Xev. I’m not sure if i’ve seen Zev.
    If i were on board, I would modify 790 to have an alternate function as a CD player so that first of all I could turn off his whinny voice and second of all play latin music rhythms from him while I spent quality time with Xev.

I just checked out her photo and bio on IMDB. Apparently her lips are real and she sure has put her degrees in Latin and Philosophy to good use!!!
    Yes, her lips are real!

Oh what happiness! Me and Xev in the belly of a flying spacebug dancing to burning Haitian rhythms.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.