X-FILES CANCELLED!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Thursday January 17 2:43 AM ET

Fox Will Close ‘X-Files’ in May, Report Says

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The truth will soon no longer be out there.

“The X-Files,” the Emmy-winning sci-fi drama that thrust two federal agents into spooky paranormal situations, will end its nine-season run on the Fox television network in May, Daily Variety reported in its Thursday edition.

Series creator Chris Carter decided to pull the plug on the show, whose ratings have been hurt this season by the departure of star David Duchovny and by tougher competition.

“It’s the ninth inning. We want to go out on top,” the trade paper quoted Carter as saying. “We wanted to go out as a strong show.”

Carter hoped Duchovny would return as Special Agent Fox Mulder for the two-part series finale opposite Gillian Anderson’s Agent Dana Scully. Both actors, whose mutual off-screen antipathy was well documented, are on board for a sequel to the 1998 “X-Files” feature.

Duchovny phased out his involvement in the series last season, and former “Terminator 2” co-star Robert Patrick was drafted in as Agent John Doggett.

“The X-Files” premiered in September 1993 on the Fox network, which is part of News Corp’s Fox Entertainment Group unit. Its cult hit status soon snowballed into mainstream success, and the show won 15 Emmy Awards over the years, including an acting prize for Anderson.

Although ratings were off this season, with the show ranking No. 72 out of 162, it remains a strong performer in syndication.

DalekTek790
    Participant

After seeing a few episodes of this season, I think it’s time they ended it. They should have ended it at the end of last season. The last few episodes of season 8 were really good, they should have gone out with a bang and resolved things in the movie(s), rather than bother with a ninth season.

There’s been a sharp decline. Not just the absence of Mulder (there were some good episodes last season without him), but the writing seems to have slipped as well, even below season 7 level. I’m a loyal fan, I’ve been with The X-Files since the beginning, but I think it’s time to pull the plug.

——————

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    After seeing a few episodes of this season, I think it’s time they ended it. They should have ended it at the end of last season. The last few episodes of season 8 were really good, they should have gone out with a bang and resolved things in the movie(s), rather than bother with a ninth season.

There’s been a sharp decline. Not just the absence of Mulder (there were some good episodes last season without him), but the writing seems to have slipped as well, even below season 7 level. I’m a loyal fan, I’ve been with The X-Files since the beginning, but I think it’s time to pull the plug.

——————

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

It’s sad to see it end, but it is one of the few times where it’s the right decision.
    I think many fans would no longer be surprised by the storylines, and once that happens it loses it’s edge.
    I think it peaked two seasons ago, and the movie seemed to have taken some of the gloss off the series, ever since then it’s been in steady decline.
    But the X-Files has deserved it’s awards, and still remains one of the best Sci-Fi series out there.
    I think anticipation of another movie would reignite it’s interest, but ending the series now makes sense.
    Squishy

Flamegrape
    Participant

I think The X-Files jumped the shark with the movie.

quote:

Originally posted by Evil_Lister:
    End it on a downer like they did with Quantum Leap.

How did Quantum Leap end anyway? And for that matter, how did Sliders end?

Anonymous

Might as well kill this show. Most of the episodes are all the same. It starts with aliens, mulders sister, clones, or some magic cure for all diseases only to end with the cancer man walking away with it all.

Needless to say, i stopped watching this show after they did the movie.

They should end it with Mulder going insane and being commited to a hospital. End it on a downer like they did with Quantum Leap.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    How did Quantum Leap end anyway? And for that matter, how did Sliders end?[/QB]

Quantum Leap‘s last episode was when Sam jumped into himself on his true birthday. He was in a bar outside of Pittsburgh where he met G-d(?). This guy explained to Sam that Sam controls his leaping and not him. He suggeted to Sam that he leap home and take a break before he undertakes some more leaps. Indicating that
    the leaps will get much harder. Sam declines and continues leaping. He never returns home, instead righting what once went wrong for the rest of his days. The last leap we saw of him was him leaping into himself, and this time telling Al’s first wife that Al is in a POW camp and to wait for him to return. Al and his orginal wife lived happily ever ater. It ended on a downer only because everyone expected him to leap home.

I never managed to see the fianle of Sliders, but from what I’ve read it wasn’t a real ending. During filming they weren’t sure if there was going to be a sixth season so they made an “either way” episode. The sliders went to a planet where there was a guys who viewed all their slides and made a hit tv show out of it. There was much celebration when the sliders arrived on that world, obviously. The voyer guy warned the sliders that if they jumped again that they would perish. I don’t know how it ends though. I assume they jumped.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    Quantum Leap‘s last episode was when Sam jumped into himself on his true birthday. He was in a bar outside of Pittsburgh where he met G-d(?). This guy explained to Sam that Sam controls his leaping and not him. He suggeted to Sam that he leap home and take a break before he undertakes some more leaps. Indicating that
    the leaps will get much harder. Sam declines and continues leaping. He never returns home, instead righting what once went wrong for the rest of his days. The last leap we saw of him was him leaping into himself, and this time telling Al’s first wife that Al is in a POW camp and to wait for him to return. Al and his orginal wife lived happily ever ater. It ended on a downer only because everyone expected him to leap home.

In the pilot/movie Quantum Leap: Genesis a mysterious force caused Sam to leap before he was scheduled to, and he gets lost in the time stream and loses his memory. Al saw it, it was a light that appeared over the facility, looking like sheet lightning. In the final episode, Mirror Image, Sam meets a representitive of this force, occupying a human body like him. We’re never told exactly what this force is, but I’ve always figured it was aliens. That’s the most likely possibility from what we’re shown in Genesis, Star Light, Star Bright, and Mirror Image.

quote:

I never managed to see the fianle of Sliders, but from what I’ve read it wasn’t a real ending. During filming they weren’t sure if there was going to be a sixth season so they made an “either way” episode. The sliders went to a planet where there was a guys who viewed all their slides and made a hit tv show out of it. There was much celebration when the sliders arrived on that world, obviously. The voyer guy warned the sliders that if they jumped again that they would perish. I don’t know how it ends though. I assume they jumped.

In the final episode of Sliders, The Seer, the sliders are prevented from sliding into the world that would cause their death by a piece of Kromagg equipment. Everyone is trapped on that world, except Rembrandt, who slides to his home (infested with Kromaggs, of course) alone. There is a Sliders movie in production.

Back on the X-Files topic, the show’s really been going downhill since the first season. They could never top that pilot episode. It had stagnated by the time they introduced a new story arc (Mulder’s disappearance), which revived it somewhat, like the movie had before. But now it’s suddenly plummeted to a new low.

[ 19-01-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.