X-Men 2 – What did you think?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff X-Men 2 – What did you think?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I thought it was ok except for the ending, it seemed lik ethey tacked it on just to add a bit of drama!

In fact some of the funniest scenes were because of that.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Like the scene where Jean talks through Xavier before she gets clobbered by a wall of water. Scott kneels closely to Xavier and pleads for Jean to come back – you could just imaging Scott giving Xavier a goodbye kiss! – In fact I could almost see Xavier saying ‘Oh all right then, but no tongues!

Watching Scott and Wolverine almost crying at the loss of Jean was almost unbearable – It was soooo badly done

The last line was also too corny ๐Ÿ™

And why is Mistique so hot for Wolverine? Isn’t she supposed to be Magneto’s bit of stuff? Magneto certainly hints at being a lot closer to her than ‘just friends’ – ie. the letcherous way he tells someone about how good she is (which considering he’s gay in real life was great!)

– OK, so what did you think?

(POLE ADDED 7-May)

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I thought it was great, except that it’s not something you could watch again and again like Lord Of The Rings or even Harry Potter. I liked the end where you saw the phoenix reflected in the water. It lets the die hard X-Men fans know that Jean is comming back. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the same as in the first one. Scott looks about 10 years younger than Jean. Still, Jean is really pretty so you won’t get too many complaints from me.

On a side note, the guy that plays Scott was in an awesome movie… one for all Sadgeezers. It was called Route 69 or something like that. He drives along a freaky highway and picks up all sorts of wierd people. It was like a mixture of twighlight zone and the Outer Limits. Gary Oldman was in it. Wooh. Im getting way to sidetracked.

Come to think of it… Where the hell was Gambit? He and Wolverine are the two most well liked X-Men, so I would have thought Gambit would be the base of no 2. Also interesting was that the went for Night-Crawler instead of Beast. Beast in an original X-Man where as Night-Crawler only came in the 90s.

Anonymous

This just in from an email promotion. Quite a cool picture – thought you guys might like to see it.

You can get the full size image here:
    http://www.sadgeezer.com/html/uploads/X-Men-H_CJacket.TITAN_low_1.jpg

Kate from Titan also tells me that:

Fox’s X2: X-Men United opened the summer movie season with a bang, grabbing an estimated $85.85 million during its weekend debut, scoring a 57.6% increase over its predecessor (X-Men $54.5) and setting a record for percentage growth for a sequel to a film that opened with over $40 million at the box office. X2’s opening was the fourth highest in box office history and came from a record 3,741 theatres!

isola
    Participant

i haven’t seen it yet.. and to be honest.. i really don’t know if i will..

i sort of hated the first one.. but then i decided to give the number 2 a fair chanse.. but.. i don’t know.

all i wanna know, however: is it really worth spending money on?? or should i just by myself a pizza and watch the crow one more time?? โ“

Anonymous
    Inactive

I must admit I wasn’t at all impressed with the X-Men film, and so I probably won’t watch this sequel until it comes out in the old-release video section.

lexxrobotech wrote:

On a side note, the guy that plays Scott was in an awesome movie… one for all Sadgeezers. It was called Route 69 or something like that. He drives along a freaky highway and picks up all sorts of wierd people….

Do you mean that classic of Australian cinema Root 69? (Aussies will get the pathetic little joke).

Actually, his name is James Marsden, and the film you’re talking about is Interstate 60. For a second there I thought you were talking about one of my favourite road movie comedies; Highway 61 starring Don McKellar (no relation to Mr. Magneto; Ian McKellen).

BTW, a road movie I’d suggest you avoid is Route 666 with Lou Diamond Phillips.

We now return you to your regular programming

Anonymous

I hate the movies, flat out. It’s taking what was already a brilliant story and dumbing it down, playing to the mass crowds. Grab any 2 X-men comics and you’ll get twice the entertainment than these movies for a lot less in cost. Adding the Phoenix to the ending was a nice teaser for the real fans, but not enough, plus I CANNOT stand them casting that Bond Girl as Jean Grey, I mean COME ON!!

Twisting some of the Wolverine story around also irked me, I did not understand why they couldent keep it as-is. Of course you’d get fans that claim “They didnt add anything new!” but the way I see it, this is a remake of a remake (comic to cartoon to movie) and you don’t add new dialogue and action to a remake. You cannot combine characters/powers/plots etc… its utter BS imo.

Basically until characters like Gambit are added, I will not be supporting the movies =p Much like Batman they took a great series and turned it into “Jolly Happy Love Fest ’03”

Sorry if Im angrier than usual, I just don’t get it.

A -DM
    Participant

I thought it was great, and aside from Anna Paquin, I think all the characters are well cast and Ian McKellen stole the show yet again.
    It’s hard too believe that Hugh Jackman almost wasn’t Wolverine, some actor called Dougray Scott was the original actor, I’ve recently seen him in Enigma and the guy would’ve made a very poor Wolverine.
    Personally I think those that bemoan the film because it’s not 100% faithful to the comics are being ridiculous, if it had been the case it would’ve been too camp and laughable, don’t get me wrong the comics are good, but the action in them is too extreme to be in a movie. The movie gives them substance and you can take them seriously, if we had someone applying the comic book approach then it would’ve resulted in another Batman & Robin.
    And you have too remember that this movie has too appeal to many, not just the hard core X-men fans, so accusations of dumbing down are too be expected from some quarters, I think that’s a tad selfish, jumping into an X-men universe where they know instantly what’s going on and leaving everyone else bemused is unfair.
    One thing I’m having an argument about is when Jean Grey first began too notice her new found powers, some bloke I know reckons the radiation from Magneto’s machine in the last movie caused her too turn into Phoenix (I don’t think so because it was said that the radiation doesn’t cause mutation in mutants). But when Jean tried too put off Cyclops from firing at Magneto and then felt guilty afterwards, I tthink was the first indication of Jean’s new persona coming through.
    I would strongly recommend seeing the movie, but if you are a die-hard X-Men fan then you’re always going too pick holes, so don’t bother going.
    My only gripe was Lady Deathstrike didn’t get much airtime, other than that it was very good and a worthy sequel as is reflected by it’s box office success.
    ADM

bonnee
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Do you mean that classic of Australian cinema Root 69? (Aussies will get the pathetic little joke).

๐Ÿ˜ณ

Two Lane Blacktop and Kings of the Road. 8)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    bonnee wrote:

Two Lane Blacktop and Kings of the Road. 8)

Cool! I still haven’t seen Kings of the Road ๐Ÿ˜ณ though I’m a fan of Wim Wenders. When I can rent it I will. Speaking of Wenders, I enjoyed Until the End of the World, another road movie of his — he’s done lots of road movies, but this one has a sci-fi element to it.

Two Lane Blacktop[/url], now there’s a real Route 66 movie! Good one!

I’ll add Mad Max and Mad Max 2 (aka The Road Warrior) to the road movie list (trailers available here).[/url] And I’ll mention Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and She-Devils on Wheels QT Presentation. And also Jarmusch’s road movie-esque Down By Law. BTW, Robby Mueller was the cinematographer on several Wenders and Jarmush films including Until the End of the World, Kings of the Road and Down by Law.

BTW, I saw one of the stupidest, most pointless post-nuclear holocaust sci-fi road movies last night called Damnation Alley. Damn Canada’s lame Space “The Damnation” station! Just had to get that out of my system.

Oops, ๐Ÿ˜ณ sorry Sad for carjacking your thread. Getting back on track, here’s the official X-Men 2 site[/url] and the ’official’ X-Men 2 fansite.[/url]

Anonymous

DAMNATION ALLEY!!! I grew up on this movie, how dare you sir!! =)

Mr. Peppard as the A-Team as in (Apocolypse Team) leads human refugees to safety! Yes this is a HORRIBLE movie, but I love the genre! There’s another one with the fabulous Bruce Dern, the name escapes me, but its another B-movie wonder =)

I love post-apocolytic genre films/games/movies/tv anything. Fallout to Wasteland to Mad Max, they’re all good =)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve got to admit I did watch Damnation Alley until the end, and that does say something about me. And I am also a very avid viewer of post-apocalyptic genre films.

I actually spend a lot of time watching B movies. I can handle really bad, or really good, it’s the ones that fall in between that generally leave me a little unexcited.

One so bad it was almost good (okay, in this case it was very bad but didn’t nearly make it into the “so bad it’s good” category ๐Ÿ˜‰ — still I still enjoyed it verily :D) film I saw on TV not too long ago was Deathsport starring David Carradine of Kung Fu fame. It’s another post apocalyptic film with lots of gas powered vehicles — this time motorcycles of death which they fight in an arena with. It wasn’t nearly as entertaining I thought as Death Race 2000 which I’ve watched countless times. In fact, I learned how to drive by watching that movie over and over again. I suggest every driving course should include this film as part of its curriculum. ๐Ÿ˜› Death Race 2000 QT Streaming Trailer (worth watching I think).

BTW, Bruce Dern’s motorcycle movie The Cycle Savages was pretty good, and I really liked Silent Running (there’s an A list sci-fi one) and The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant (definite B-movie calibre) was fun.

Anonymous

The end is sillier than the movie. The world lops back unto its proper axis or something and they live happilier ever after.

Bruce Dern is one of my long time favs, glad you’ve seen some of his best =) The movie I was thinking of was called “World gone wild” and its worth checking out if any vid stores in your area have it.

Can’t wait for MM4 =) If they keep up with the progression this should be this best one yet. I know many did not like Thunderdome, but I see it as the template from which all Wasteland genre movies should be judged. Sci-Fi USA just made one with Traci Lords and that guy from “Prophecy III”. Think it’s on this Saturday.

Now back to X-men, already in progress.

Dudelove76
    Participant

Da Dude dose’nt like the X-men movies daddy-o!!, why dose’nt Wolverine wear his super cool yellow spandex daddy-o!!!???

Frogman
    Participant
    Dudelove76 wrote:

Da Dude dose’nt like the X-men movies daddy-o!!, why dose’nt Wolverine wear his super cool yellow spandex daddy-o!!!???

Because he can’t find a matching purse…

nasym
    Participant

lol

I havent seen the first one, but my friend made me se the second… and he is just as much a comic freak as I, so we just sat there:

what? they dont do that!
    who’s that??
    why isnt he with…

well, yuo get the picture ๐Ÿ˜• …

lexxrobotech
    Participant

that the third movie will be out late 2006.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.