Xev Quake III model

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

This is what I’ve got going so far. I think it will take me a week (or less) to get it done. As long as I don’t get too fussy with the textures…

Anonymous

Looks great dude, but without wishing to sound sexist or rude or anything, isn’t Xev a little more erm… ample?

Was it done in Poser?

Flamegrape
    Participant

That’s a good point. But if you’ll notice that during season 2, Xev’s lizardskin lederhosen coveres more of her body. It doesn’t show off her figure as much as in later seasons. In 3.01 Fire & Water, she strips off a few segments of her outfit. After that, you can see her belly and more of her upper arms.

However, there are some curious photos of her with short red hair and wearing her season 3-4 costume:

But I’m still working on the model:

Some of the facial texture tests have looked pretty good.

But the most important question of all is what color is her underwear?!?

[ 23-04-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

dgrequeen
    Participant

Very nice work, Flamegrape. She’s going to be spectacular!

Um… Xev wears underwear?

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by dgrequeen:
    Very nice work, Flamegrape. She’s going to be spectacular!

Um… Xev wears underwear?

Once again I must turn to my 8″x10″ glossy photos with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one to be used as evidence… well, there’s no arrows but I got the circle:

The debate rages on. Does she wear these fawn-back pattern panties all the time? Is it the canon pair? Or does she wear the black pair or white pair that have been seen infrequently in the past? Or, as has been stated by Xev herself, does she wear no underwear at all? Where is Lex, Paul, or Jeff when we have a real question to ask them?

I would favor the no-underwear position in this on-going arguement. But then this raises an entirely new question! What color is her… (or should I go there?)

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Looks great dude, but without wishing to sound sexist or rude or anything, isn’t Xev a little more erm… ample?

Was it done in Poser?

On closer examination, you’re right. After double-checking with my model sheet, I noticed that the hips needed to be wider and the thighs bigger. I got so involved with constructing the costume that I ignored that vital detail. Thanxx.

While in art school, my art history teacher put forth the idea that the fashion industry may be inherently screwed up. It might be the case that all these high fashions are designed by homosexual men that secretly hate women. Hence the toothpick-thin supermodels that actually look like little boys in drag. But actually the truth is more practical. It’s easier to hang cloth on objects that are of a generic skinny manequin, hence the standardized figure of the supermodel. Unfortunately, these designs can’t be sold to most women on the planet. It’s also similar to the reason why Barbie dolls are unreasonably thin: it’s easy for little girls to change Barbie’s clothes.

And no, I didn’t use Poser. There was one person (Elfie, I think her name was) who was working on a Xev model in Poser, but I don’t know what happened to her. We were going to collaborate, but I never heard from her again.

I built the geometry from scratch in 3d Studio Max. I usually start out with cylinder meshes and work from there. That helps explain her initially featureless figure. Male figures are basically cylindrical and females are usually “hourglass-shaped”. (But, of course, there are the usual exceptions.)

I may be able to use the costume I built in 3d Studio Max with Poser. In fact, I got a copy of Poser Pro but I have yet to really play with it.

[ 24-04-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

Xev’s got back!

The textures are looking really good. I hope I can finish the texturing tomorrow. It would be great if I could have her articulated (animated) by Friday.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Okay, gang. What do you think? If I don’t need to make any minor changes, I’m going to go with this. From here, I can make the other versions of Xev with the longer hair.

I’m concerned about her face. Does she look close enough? It’s impossible to make her look EXACTLY like her. Remember that this is a videogame using simple polygons.

( Is her butt curvey enough for you, Tony? )

theVodkaCircle
    Participant

Hey Flamegrape, have you done any skins/models for UT ?

If so, what programs did you use please ? I have done a few skins for UT but they royally suck in comparison to these.

Cheers

Anonymous

She’s looking great! Just how long have you been studying those Xev pictures?

If you’re worried about the face, the eyebrows seem to by flying a bit high. But that might just be the fact that I’m looking at this on a laptop and am blurring lines and shadows.

You’ve really done an amazing job.

elmey

[ 26-04-2002: Message edited by: elmey ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

*SIGH*

I’m going to have to ditch this model and rebuild it. I’ve just been told that it has 3 times too many polygons.

I’ll hang onto this model for the future when computers are powerful enough to handle them.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Is it possible to get sick of looking at Xenia Seeberg pretty face? I may have reached that point. (*GASP*)

I’ve been working for days, trying to get Xev’s face looking right. I feel I’m so close, yet so far! I’ve got the texture maps down for her “season 2 look”, with her red-blonde hair style.

I’m no longer sure what’s wrong with it. See if you can tell me. In any case, I think I need to get away from it for a while and then return to it. Maybe she’ll look better once I attach the head to the body.

What’s wrong with this picture of Xev?
    (Just pretend she’s wearing a black turtleneck sweater.)

Flamegrape
    Participant

Okay:

Nobody here gave me any suggestions but several were given to me over at Lexx.Com. Is it any better?

DalekTek790
    Participant

Did they ever establish what happened to the rest of her costume? Or is it like her hair? I noticed that a piece disappeared some time between Brizon and Texx Lexx, and later determined that the change occurred sometime around the end of season two and the beginning of season three. And I was eventually able to convince others that I wasn’t imagining it. So, Do you have any clue what happened?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    Did they ever establish what happened to the rest of her costume? Or is it like her hair? I noticed that a piece disappeared some time between Brizon and Texx Lexx, and later determined that the change occurred sometime around the end of season two and the beginning of season three. And I was eventually able to convince others that I wasn’t imagining it. So, Do you have any clue what happened?

You mean the midsection? She ripped it off after thawing out on Fire (presumably to facilitate cooling) in 3.01 “Fire and Water”.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

You mean the midsection? She ripped it off after thawing out on Fire (presumably to facilitate cooling) in 3.01 “Fire and Water”.

–Aleck

Yeap exactly that. She muttered something to the effect of “It’s really hot here” and tore it off revealing a nice set of abs and a tatoo around her bellybutton. And shes an Inny!

Flamegrape
    Participant

That’s why I started work on her season 2 costume first. From there, all I have to do is subtract geometry to get her season 3 and season 4 costume. The abdomen geometry is no problem.

So, does my model of her face LOOK right?

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Yeap exactly that. She muttered something to the effect of “It’s really hot here” and tore it off revealing a nice set of abs and a tatoo around her bellybutton. And shes an Inny!

Did it really show that? I have no memory of that. I didn’t notice the change in season three.

dgrequeen
    Participant

I’m impressed with the work you’ve put in. It’s awesome. As for Xev’s face, you’ve done a great job. I would reduce the lower lip just a tiny bit, flesh out the upper lip a tiny bit, and make them a little less pouty. Her nose has a tiny bit more flare at the end, and a little upturn. Otherwise, she’s great and you wouldn’t really have to change her. Those changes I’ve suggested (if you choose to make them at all) should be miniscule anyway.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

Did it really show that? I have no memory of that. I didn’t notice the change in season three.

Heh heh heh. I think it’s pretty funny, DT, that you manage to pay excellent attention to some of the finer details of this show but somehow missed the part where a girl was taking off her clothes! LOL!

Actually, I didn’t notice the change immediatly either. When Fire & Water first aired, I had taped it. It wasn’t until my second viewing that I noticed that she removed parts of her costume. One thing is for sure. Xev looks much prettier in the season 3 costume with longer hair.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Heh heh heh. I think it’s pretty funny, DT, that you manage to pay excellent attention to some of the finer details of this show but somehow missed the part where a girl was taking off her clothes! LOL!

Oh, ha ha.

Flamegrape
    Participant

(Note for folks here on the bboard. This post is just a copy of the posts I’ve made on other videogame modeling bboards. All the technical jargon you can ignore. I just thought you might want to see pictures.)

Here is an updated version of my player model of Xev, from the television sci-fi/fantasy show, Lexx. When I posted my earlier version, it received dire criticism. I’ve improved the model in some ways but it may need some more work.

Here are some stats:

This is highest Level Of Detail.
    The model is intended for Jedi Knight II.
    Caps, bolts, skeleton, and other LODS are not included.

BODY PART (VERTS/FACES)

l_leg (67/130)
    l_hand_bracelet (18/32)
    l_hand (163/269)
    l_arm (56/96)
    r_leg (67/130)
    r_hand_bracelet (18/32)
    r_hand (163/269)
    r_arm (56/96)
    hips (128/233)
    hips_skirt (75/135)
    head (145/258)
    head_hair3 (158/290)
    torso (171/322)
    torso_belly (36/48)

TOTAL VERTS: 1321
    TOTAL FACES: 2340

Anonymous

Wow, this is just getting better and better!

Flamegrape
    Participant

I’m sorry, folks. I’ve been knocking myself out trying to get this model done before the first of September. I’m so close to being done. You can see my work in the pictures above. But I’m completely stymied by a single technical problem. I’ve been trying for several days to get help from other modelers in other forums, but the help I get is sketchy and incomplete. I have a very vague understanding of how the model conversion program works and there is absolutely no documentation. I have no idea how these other modelers were able to deduce how it works. When it comes to graphics programs, I’m fine. But when it comes to quick-and-dirty MS-DOS programs that have no documentation, I’m understandably mystified. I’ll have to wait until I come back from DragonCon before I can work on this any more.

Anonymous

No probs dude, fantastic work nontheless!!

Well done mate!

Midori
    Participant

HOW THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE COOLEST THING IVE SEEN SO FAR!! AMZING!! i wish i could learn how to do that.. Would you consider making skins for the game the sims?? im dying to have a LEXX house!! AHHH

Midori

Flamegrape
    Participant

I finally managed to jump a major technical hurdle. I was finally able to successfully translate my Xev model to the format needed for import into Jedi Knight II. However, as you can plainly see, I still have a long way to go. A bunch of things went wrong. Her legs and skirt are white, her right hand is suspended and mangled in mid-air, wrong textures on the arms, and her hair is moving around like a bad wig that’s not properly set! LOL!

But beleive it or not, I’m very happy with the progress so far. From all of the stuff I’ve read on message boards, it turns out that many, many other artists are having trouble creating models for JK2. And although it looks like I’ll have to back up and re-do major steps, I know what I did wrong before. But even though she looks screwed up right now, it was really neat seeing Xev animated with the special model viewer. She is going to look really cool! I can’t wait.

Anonymous

She’ll look great in action!
    You’re almost there

elmey

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:
    She’ll look great in action!
    You’re almost there

elmey

Oh, if you could only see her now! I’ve fixed all the texture problems. But I’m still having some tech difficulty with her right hand mysteriously floating in mid-air, out of place. Other than that, she looks so frelling cool seeing her animated in the JK2 model-viewing program. The simple viewer animates the model with all of the movements used in the game; running, using the lightsaber, flipping, falling down dead, etc. OMG, it looks so cool!

I WILL DEFINATELY HAVE A BETA VERSION DONE BY THIS WEEKEND!

Anonymous

Oh, Flamegrape! She’s wonderful! I’ve tried to stay away from this stuff but…. T_T

Flamegrape
    Participant

The season 2 version of Xev is almost done.

Next I’ll work on the season 4 version, make some different skins for each, and then I’ll be done.

pet
    Participant

Cool!

But I wish we could play multiplayer. I want to see her move. I still enjoy the screenshots, though.

Pet;D

Flamegrape
    Participant

Here’s Xev with the season 4 hair style…

…well, sort of. I think it needs a bit more work. (Try to ignore the dark shading on the edges.) But I was suprised how quickly I’ve been able to hash it out.

[ 28-10-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

pet
    Participant

I don’t see why your last post starts with a “help”, when from our standpoint you clearly don’t need any…. Those curls are looking cute!

I can’t remember where I read this, did I hear you were going to make her outfit different colors or different styles for the Capture the Flag thing, too? How many Xevs will you have when you’re done?

Pet;D

Flamegrape
    Participant

The different versions of the Xev videogame model:

Xev, season 2.
    Xev, season 2, Red team.
    Xev, season 2, Blue team.
    Xev, season 3.
    Xev, season 3, Red team.
    Xev, season 3, Blueteam.
    Xev, season 4.
    Xev, season 4, Red team.
    Xev, season 4, Blue team.

That’s nine different versions. But I was also thinking of making more variations of each version. Perhaps have her costume colored white with black trim, or vice-versa. How about a color-desaturated “Divine Assassin Xev?” Or maybe a “Xenia” version with pretty designs on her clothes?

pet
    Participant

That’s a lot of Xevs! I suppose it’s easier once the body is built. (I’ve never tried 3D.) Do you just have to change the patterns then?

Divine Assassin Xev would be interesting. I suppose she’d look somewhat like S4 Goth Xev. Then there’s always Xevivor Xev, P4X Xev, Egyptian Xev…. damn, you might never be done! (Or at least, you might be done by the time I actually can get cable out here.)

Pet;D

[ 29-10-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Midori
    Participant

Damn i seriously need to get the game!! i would have a blast with all those Xevs!!! Great Work again Flamegrape!!!

Midori

Anonymous

Best bunch of Xev
    Must make more models
    Must make
    Bigger harder models…

Flamegrape
    Participant

Thanxx, Mothbreeder. You have in your little scrap of a Cluster-sliced brain the wisdom of the ages.
    (j/k)

Anyway, I’m locking this thread because it’s getting a little too big. I’ll start another thread when I actually complete the project. Which will be very soon!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.