Y Is Better Than X – A Futuristic Children’s Book.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Original Science Fiction Y Is Better Than X – A Futuristic Children’s Book.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Fatguy
    Participant

See Jane run. Run Jane run!
    See Flip jump. Jump Flip jump.
    See Tom shoot. Shoot Tom shoot!

Jane says go! Go Flip Go!
    Jane falls down. See Jane fall.
    Flip barks loud. See Flip bark.
    Tom shoots Flip. Flip falls down.

We like Tom. Tom is good!
    See Tom play. Tom is happy!

Daddy likes Tom. Grand Father likes Tom.
    David and Charlie like Tom. Tom is happy!

————–The End—————-

Maurice

Moderators: Does this pass muster; and if not, why not. If you must delete, I will link off site and continue discussion. Are we being hypocritical if we censor this one (and I know both moderators saw “X is better than Y”). Is this story different than “X is better than Y”; This is a talking point with me…..

Maurice

Flamegrape
    Participant

They’re two slightly different works. Your point?

Fatguy
    Participant
    Flamegrape wrote:

They’re two slightly different works. Your point?

Fatguy gives you the big “thumbs up”. Thank you – you made my day!

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Fatguy wrote:

Are we being hypocritical if we censor this one (and I know both moderators saw “X is better than Y”). Is this story different than “X is better than Y”[?]

This forum is for “Original Science Fiction,” so yes, the question is, “Is this variation original enough to pass muster?”

BTW, it would have been easier to compare the two if you’d posted the “new” variation in the “X IS Better Than Y” thread.

What do you think, is it original enough?

Fatguy
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Fatguy wrote:

Are we being hypocritical if we censor this one (and I know both moderators saw “X is better than Y”). Is this story different than “X is better than Y”[?]

This forum is for “Original Science Fiction,” so yes, the question is, “Is this variation original enough to pass muster?”

BTW, it would have been easier to compare the two if you’d posted the “new” variation in the “X IS Better Than y” thread.

What do you think, is it original enough?[/quote]

It depends on whether you think it is a political question or a philosophical question.

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Fatguy wrote:

Moderators: Does this pass muster; and if not, why not. If you must delete, I will link off site and continue discussion. Are we being hypocritical if we censor this one (and I know both moderators saw “X is better than Y”). Is this story different than “X is better than Y”; This is a talking point with me…..

First off, some thoughts…

I know you’ve adressed your questions to the moderators specifically, and I’m not a moderator of this forum, but then if it was only meant for theFrey and Flamegrape (i.e. you weren’t looking for others’ feedback on your questions) this discussion might have been best handled by PM or email to those parties, or in this forum’s FAQ section with a specific question such as, “If I post a “story” that is almost identical to another story I posted here, is it acceptable?.” Or this could be discussed by all in Discussion Forum Help — there’s already a thread there on censorship issues, so a brand new topic wouldn’t be necessary, and could fit into a wider context and provoke wider discussion.

If you’re truly looking for feedback on this story as a work unto itself, then, well that’s expected in the forum. Comes down to intent. Are you just poking and prodding the mods for a reaction (as well as trying to provoke a reaction on your personal agenda from the general audience), or do you really want people’s feedback on this story (and not particularly on issues of censorship). The stories are to be discussed here, not particularly whatever issues we’re trying to push.

Here’s the important bit:

It’s been said before, but if you’re in doubt about the acceptability of a story (or post), and you’ve made it clear that you are in doubt about this one, then try emailing or PMing it it to the moderators first to check it out for you before submitting it to the board…

Take care,
    Logan

Fatguy
    Participant

Logan: If all you see here is a technical problem…..then I am wasting my time…..

Maurice

nursewhen
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

Fatguy wrote:

BTW, it would have been easier to compare the two if you’d posted the “new” variation in the “X IS Better Than Y” thread.

Well the question is also, ‘is this science fiction?’ the only science is in the heading where there is the word ‘future’ and a reference to chromosomes. The text itself is not science fiction, it is a test. Not to see if the text passes muster, but to see if WE pass muster.

As a test of current social opinions, it’s mildly interesting. As a piece of original science fiction, it is not.

I agree with Logan, for the test to work, you need both pieces, therefore they belong in the same thread.
    And since it is a test, does it belong in the fiction thread at all?

Edit – Dammit! How did 3 more posts turn up before I posted this one?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Fatguy wrote:

Logan: If all you see here is a technical problem…..then I am wasting my time…..

I see all ๐Ÿ˜‰ (I have a very flexible mind), but it can be discussed from a multitude of angles… Would like to hear your specific thoughts on it.

BTW, I was going to add this to my post before (opens things up philosophically and politically speaking):

Of course, your story doesn’t end at The End like so many other stories, it’s the whole post that is the story (questions and all). And the other story can be seen as backhistory (one could even look at this as a sort of sequel).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    nursewhen wrote:

Logan wrote:

Fatguy wrote:

Well the question is also, ‘is this science fiction?’ the only science is in the heading where there is the word ‘future’ and a reference to chromosomes. The text itself is not science fiction, it is a test. Not to see if the text passes muster, but to see if WE pass muster.

As a test of current social opinions, it’s mildly interesting. As a piece of original science fiction, it is not.

I agree with Logan, for the test to work, you need both pieces, therefore they belong in the same thread.[/quote]

Actually, I thought of that too, whether it’s science fiction (not just the title), and deemed it was possibly soft sci-fiish enough. It’s a “futuristic children’s book.” A dystopian future to my mind, but one that FG might argue is preferable due to his talk of “the right to bear arms” and questions of gun ownership. Only in the future would this be truly acceptable in such a children’s book (unless Tom is shooting pool ;), you get the idea anyway):

“See Tom shoot. Shoot Tom shoot.”

Perhaps in the future some children will be legally permitted and even encouraged to use guns in our society.

ShadowedVenus
    Participant

Depending on which society you’re specifically talking about, I don’t know about the legality of the situation but the problem is that many children are encouraged to bear arms now

nursewhen
    Participant
    ShadowedVenus wrote:

Depending on which society you’re specifically talking about, I don’t know about the legality of the situation but the problem is that many children are encouraged to bear arms now

I was thinking that. After all the legal age to carry an air gun is 14 over here and that’s quite sufficient to shoot a small dog with.
    We went through a very nasty phase in my neighbourhood last year when heartbroken cat owners were finding their pets either killed or maimed with air gun shot.
    Where my parents live, pigeon racing is very popular and they know somebody who lost a large number of his pigeons to kids picking them off whenever he let them out.

theFrey
    Participant

Actually the question of is it science fiction is indeed the kicker. I would say no, it seems to be just another in the seemlessly endless ploys to gain attention and….. the more coveted response from others.

However, since it is just Fatguy same o’ same o’ and not anything else, tis not a problem.

Logan is of course correct when he said if you had truly been concerned about getting actual moderator feed back because you wanted to make sure that there was not a problem with it…. you would have emailed it to the moderator. Again, since it is basicly inane, again tis not a problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.