Your favorite monster?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Your favorite monster?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

I think that the monsters of speculative fiction usually fall into one of these three categories. What is your favorite? What do you think?

EDIT:
    ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„
    For those who need help, this is an explaination of the categories:

Thing That Should Not Be: monsters like Frankenstein’s Monster, Godzilla, vampire, werewolf, robot from “The Terminator”,

Killer Monster From Another Planet: monsters like Giger’s Alien from “Alien” and Sil from “Species”, shapeshifter from “The Thing”, the Daleks from “Doctor Who”.

Evil Demon From Beyond: Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Freddy Kruger, Forbidden Planet demon of the mind.

There are plenty of other examples, but that should give you an idea.

Anonymous

I know this is a general question, but to be specific, without a doubt my favorites is the Golem.

The Golem of Prague is widely considered to have been real. Skeptics will say it was simply a crude machine with napatha throwers on the arms and sharp objects protruding from a crude mobile design.

However the Jews specifically the Kabbalists believe it is real. And the legend has become a favorite story to tell children. But what’s even more interesting is the Kabbalists believe it is still possible to create Golems and use other form of ‘magic’ that come from God.

Some believe that if you take virgin soil (NEVER touched by man, hard to find nowadays) and create a body, then you write the name of God (which has been lost) and stick the name inside the Golem the body will come alive in the same way that God originally created Adam from the earth.

In the 17th century Yehudah Loevy ben Bezalel supposedly created such a creature to protect the Jews in Prague, quite a famous story. Here’s a link if anyone’s interested in the stuff above.

http://www.templesanjose.org/JudaismInfo/tradition/Golem.htm

Anonymous

Honestly, my favorite monster has to be Frankensteins monster. (notice I said “Frankensteins” monster) But anyway mostly because I think that even though the book was written in the latter half of the 19th century by a 19 year old girl it really was a precursor to genetic engineering and human beings wanting to create life in our own image. I mean talk about the ultimate story of scientific endevor gone horribly wrong. Also I think that the monster is a metaphore of the darkness thats in all of us but anyway thats really my favorite.

Anonymous
    ”Slopmaster” wrote:

Honestly, my favorite monster has to be Frankensteins monster. (notice I said “Frankensteins” monster) But anyway mostly because I think that even though the book was written in the latter half of the 19th century by a 19 year old girl it really was a precursor to genetic engineering and human beings wanting to create life in our own image. I mean talk about the ultimate story of scientific endevor gone horribly wrong. Also I think that the monster is a metaphore of the darkness thats in all of us but anyway thats really my favorite.

(In a terrible Gene Wilder voice) It’s FRANKENSTEEEEN! Sorry couldent resist. Nice to see ya Slop!

Can’t argue with what you said, it’s an incredible story. I’ve always the found the story around Frankenstein to be just as good. Here’s some tidbits:

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/mshelley.htm

Anonymous

Hehe I was thinking of Mel Brooks while I wrote that, thanks alot “I love the 70’s” Good to see you btw. I’v seen a number of movie versions of the book and none ever really came close. Btw when Doctor Frankenstein started to create a mate for his monster was I the only one thinking of the female incredible hulk?

Jhevz
    Participant
    Flamegrape wrote:

I think that the monsters of speculative fiction usually fall into one of these three categories. What is your favorite? What do you think?

Well Flamegrape,
    That all depends on which tv shows & movies you’re asking; there are many different shows & movies which I have favourite monsters in them.
    The classic monster movie is The Mummy, with Bela Lugasi playing the Mummy & Dracula. I do like others & would like more info about what you mean.
    Thanks.

Sci-Fi Fan to Sci-Fi Fan,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fatguy
    Participant

My favorite monster is the one I see every morning in the mirror ๐Ÿ˜† . Seriously now…..it is true…..the best monsters are the ones inside ourselves. Think about it…..it is true…..

Need a sci-fi connection for me to remain on topic: Forbidden Planet.

Maurice

Anonymous
    Fatguy wrote:

My favorite monster is the one I see every morning in the mirror ๐Ÿ˜† . Seriously now…..it is true…..the best monsters are the ones inside ourselves. Think about it…..it is true…..

Need a sci-fi connection for me to remain on topic: Forbidden Planet.

Maurice

Whooooo “The Forbidden Planet” Another great science fiction story or science and technology gone horribly wrong. The idea of our own inner demons attacking us is always way to much fun.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

The monsters from the Dark Crystal were pretty scary, but the “wheelers” from the ‘return to oz’ are still the most frightning things I have ever seen!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.