"33" (aka Splashdown) *spoilers*

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

Whoa, yesterday was a good day for TV Sci Fi. Part Two of Farscape: The Peacekeeper War aired in the states, and “33” the first hourly episode of the new Battlestar Galactica series aired in Great Britain. And those lucky enough to have a decent internet connection, got to see both!

Wow, these guys wasted no time getting into the regular series. There was no introduction to the characters, no filler, just a quick “Previously on Battlestar Galactica…”. The shows jumps right into the action. With the cylons constantly harassing the fleet every 33 minuets. Why 33? I have a sadgeezer exclusive answer for that. Check out the review (to be posted tonite) for the answer.

The acting was great, the lines were great, and the make up all there. These guys did there homework. Seeing all the senior officers with 5 o’clock (scratch that, 10 o’clock shadows) was cool. Yet I doubt this will be the last time we see it. Even Lt Geata’s uniform was wrinkled and his hair was messy! And this is the dude who’s all prim-and-proper, so it must’ve been bad.

I did not like #6 at all. That godfreak totally turned me off. Its kinda hard to think of a woman as sexy if she’s sprouting off like some wanna-be prophet every 15 seconds.

The Helo arc is intriguing, I wonder where that will be going. Especially since he’s already seen Boomer (cylon) how can he be easily rejoined to the Galactica with out causing problems for the Boomer there.

I’ll post more thoughts in the review later.

What do the rest of you think. Come on speak up!I want to get this thread moving.

Anonymous

This episode rocked.

Personally I like the references to “God”. I think they’re just trying to completely merge Six, with the old “Lucifier” character from the original BSG.

There was also a lot of dialogue that reminded me a GREAT deal of the Xenosaga/Perfect Works series. That series is about an artificial race of humans (machines) who find religion and worship God/Deus, while subjegating the “Lambs” or Humans.

In any event my heart was pounding for the first 20 minutes at each “33” minute point. If you haven’t checked this episode out yet, do so ASAP!! You’re missing the start of the best new series I’ve seen since, well probably forever. No Pilot episode of Sci-Fi has ever been this good. And whoever is responsible for those “Tracking Cameras” deserves a raise.

Sci-Fi is back in a *big* way.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

OK, I finally saw “33” and “Water” Friday night, and it was about time. It’s been hard ignoring all the spoilers and reviews in the past year!

Anyway, the series opener was just balls-to-the-wall suspense and action. All the jumping had me thinking ‘man, this can’t last. They better think of something quick.’ Great entertainment. The FX are just fantastic, and I love the new basestar look…very intimidating.

The characters are strong in this seriers. Baltar is one of my faves, though, because he’s such a sleazy “it’s all about me” type jerk that people love to hate. Does anyone else think he would make a good alter-ego to Dr. Julian Bashir of DS9?

Can’t wait for the next ep but I have much to rehash and mull over till then. Thanks, Headgehog, for the episode reviews! This series is the real deal.

Renee .S
    Participant

I also really enjoyed the new Battlestar Galactica series “33” and “Water”. Anything that keeps you thinking hours or days after the show is pretty hard to find. I like the mystery left out of certain parts of the story, making it easier for your mind to wander and imagine what might have happened.

And I’m thinking that Helo will not return to the Galactica considering that they have been jumping for days even after they reached the distant Ragnar(?). How would Helo even know which direction to go to look for them (unless Boomer is connected to her other self)? Maybe it could become a different storyline with the survivors left on the planet.

I totally agree with Headgehog’s episode review saying…”a lot of action happening in the background, and a lot of politics amongst the principle players in the foreground”. I think that is what is really keeping my attention in BSG…the different levels of the story.

Here’s a question for Headgehog. After your statement about Boomer having a cold, calculating and efficient step when she walks away from the Chief after their discussion on what happened with the last bomb, do you think that Boomer knows what she is doing all of the time or do you think that she was genuinely upset about possibly being a suspect and is having real memory lapses? The other Cylon left on Ragnar was screaming at the top of his lungs that they couldn’t just leave him out there and that he wasn’t a Cylon. And yet Boomer replaced the last detonator that was in her bag and was freaking out when no one else was around in the armory…hmmm.

Well I am waiting in anticipation for next Friday.

Headgehog
    Participant
    YOWAYYO wrote:

Does anyone else think he would make a good alter-ego to Dr. Julian Bashir of DS9?

You’re not the first person to bring that up. A lot of people think they are the same actor. Personally I’d take James Callis anyday.

Renee .S wrote:

How would Helo even know which direction to go to look for them (unless Boomer is connected to her other self)? Maybe it could become a different storyline with the survivors left on the planet.

It will be very difficult to bring Helo back to the Galactica without some major flubbing of the story. I personally don’t think the biocylons are networked that far out in space, but some people will disagree with me.

I totally agree with Headgehog’s episode review saying…”a lot of action happening in the background, and a lot of politics amongst the principle players in the foreground”.

Hehe, that’s my polite way of saying “Too many talking heads, not enough action.

I think that is what is really keeping my attention in BSG…the different levels of the story.

I like that sort of story a lot. The Dune Chronicles are built upon a layered story that requires a lot of afterthought about the background events. It works great for novels, but not so well TV/Movies. Water did an okay job of this. Colonial Day (ep 11) is another political talk-fest episode, but it flowed so much better and really kept my attention and made me want to watch it over again to learn more.

After your statement about Boomer having a cold, calculating and efficient step when she walks away from the Chief after their discussion on what happened with the last bomb, do you think that Boomer knows what she is doing all of the time or do you think that she was genuinely upset about possibly being a suspect and is having real memory lapses?

Firstly, I think the robot walk at the end has no solid basis in the story. I think it was done for drama, much like #6’s red-glowing spine. I believe that Boomer does not consciously know that she is a cylon (as of Water). Furthermore I don’t think she remembers doing any sort of sabotage against the fleet. Her subconscious (cylon programming) took over and didn’t record the events for her conscious self, so that she could better live the lie. This follows that her dismay to Tyrol and the audience was legit throughout the episode.

The other Cylon left on Ragnar was screaming at the top of his lungs that they couldn’t just leave him out there and that he wasn’t a Cylon. And yet Boomer replaced the last detonator that was in her bag and was freaking out when no one else was around in the armory…hmmm.

Doral might not have been consciously aware that he was a cylon when he was abandoned at Ragnar. After he stewed in the radiation for a while, his survival instinct (cylon programming) took over.

Anonymous
    YOWAYYO wrote:

Does anyone else think he would make a good alter-ego to Dr. Julian Bashir of DS9?

I thought it was the same actor. But I never really watched DS9.

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    Headgehog wrote:

YOWAYYO wrote:

You’re not the first person to bring that up. A lot of people think they are the same actor. Personally I’d take James Callis anyday.
    [/quote]

Hoooowwwwwwwww Pecccccuuuuuuullllliiiiaaaarrrrrrr…..

I took the ‘James Callis’ name at face value but I suppose he could be the same actor. Now I am curious…regardless, James does a helluva job with the Baltar character.

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    Renee .S wrote:

And I’m thinking that Helo will not return to the Galactica considering that they have been jumping for days even after they reached the distant Ragnar(?). How would Helo even know which direction to go to look for them (unless Boomer is connected to her other self)? Maybe it could become a different storyline with the survivors left on the planet.

I also thought that a new story line with the survivors might occur, sort of a “La Resistance” sort of thing perhaps. But wouldn’t that complicate (further) the seriers?

This whole Helo arc is frustrating (in a good way) and I can’t seem to figure out why the cyclons are playing this game with him. I thought that maybe they wanted him for model #13, but nahhh.

Renee .S
    Participant

YOWAYYO, that did cross my mind on how they created the different Cylon models. Were they once humans who were captured and duplicated? Could new models be created to infiltrate? Will Helo become one and someday, somehow rejoin the Galactica?

Or…is Helo supposed to take Boomer to other humans to wipe them all out completely. Helo is the only one now who doesn’t know that Cylons have taken human form.

I actually like the Helo arc right now because I think I would have been wondering what happened to the humans left behind. I also liked that they are taking radiation medicine (I was wondering about radiation sickness right before they showed Helo injecting himself).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Space premeired the BSG series over the weekend, and I thought 33 was an amazing episode. This is definitely THE sci-fi show to watch.

ebonyknight
    Participant

*Or…is Helo supposed to take Boomer to other humans to wipe them all out completely. Helo is the only one now who doesn’t know that Cylons have taken human form. *

I think it’s obvious that the cylons are playing somekind of game with the humans. If they wanted to wipe out the survivors, they could easily finish nuking the colonies into dust, as they started out.

I think there is a story arc here where the cylons have decided in some way that they need humanity, but attack them to control them. They wipe out most of humanity so that they have a small control group they can experiment with. This is looking like a “Gall Force” type story. Remember, they were created by humans and all intelligent creations wish to “touch” thier creators. I speculate that they wish to learn more of humanity on a grand scale. I think 6’s behavior in the miniseries makes this clear. It seems plausible to me that the cylons have infiltrated the human worlds for a long time and now it’s time to move onto “phase 2”.

The cylons could easily have wiped out the fleet at ragnar. Remember the cylon trapped with Adama said that they would come into the nebula, wipe them out and leave before they got a headache. He was out of contact with the rest and apparently isn’t aware of what the rest have in mind.

It’s obvious the cylons are running somekind of experiement on humanity, because they could easily wipe them out at anytime, if that was thier true intention.

I think we have a “space opera” arc ala Babylon 5 that will need to play out over time.

I don’t know what they want with splashdown, but it’s clear that they are testing/experimenting with him.

Comments?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.