Added: The Sadgeezers Guide to Dune

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Dune Added: The Sadgeezers Guide to Dune

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

LexxLurker and Headgehog are proud to present the new Sadgeezers’ Guide to Dune. This new guide features episodes reviews of Dune and Children of Dune. It also includes Character Biographies, Cultures Guides, Technology Reviews and its own Discussion Forum.

This is an o­ngoing effort and new articles will be submitted periodically. In the future we’ll be adding reviews of the novels, the movie, and further expanding o­n the miniseries reviews!

Participant

Right on guys, this should be an excellent addition.

Just one thing, a stone burner was not a planet killing weapon. It seems to be closer to a ‘neutron bomb’ in that it maims the flesh but leaves structures intact. Otherwise, when the one that Othyem set off blew, it would have made a short series of Dune. 😥

Other than that tho, keep up the good work. This is a great site!!!

Headgehog
    Participant
    ”#7″ wrote:

Just one thing, a stone burner was not a planet killing weapon.

Frank Herbert mentions what the stone burner does rather quickly. In Dune Messiah (the chapter was Arrakeen is stone burned (nuked?) he writes:

Paul remained silent, thinking what this weapon implied. Too much fuel in it and it’d cut its way into the planet’s core. Dune’s molten level lay deep, but the more dangerous for that. Such pressures released and out of control might split a planet, scattering lifeless bits and pieces through space

Its also mentioned in Dune: House Harkonnen that a Stone Burner is a planet buster. (I don’t have a copy in front of me to quote) When Earl Vernius is setting up the stone burner, to kill the invading Sardikar (as well as him and his men), he set it for a small detonation, rather then its full (planet killer) power. He did this because he didn’t want the innocent people of Dune to die too.

Othyem set off blew, it would have made a short series of Dune. 😥

True, but he only wanted to blind Paul. The stone burner was the most efficient means possible. Othyem et al, had no intentions of destroying their own sacred world.

Other than that tho, keep up the good work. This is a great site!!!

Thanks-you ❗

Participant

oooops 😳

You’re right. I should have remembered that or at least looked it up since I also have that book. I totally forgot that a stone burner could have too much fuel and thus destroy a planet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent job on the Guide! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.