Favourite Prisoner Episode

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums British Sci Fi Series The Prisoner Favourite Prisoner Episode

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a rather unimaginative and hugely popular topic for any forum: What’s your favourite episode?

For me it would probably be the final episode Fall Out, ‘though The Girl Who Was Death would come pretty close.

Anonymous

My fave episode would be the very first one. The only bad thing about it was that it didn’t have that amazing opening sequence.

The other episode would be the one where he thinks he’s escaped only to find that it was all a trick (forgot the episode name).

It’s a cracking series and truly deserves to be called Cult Sci Fi

Fatguy
    Participant

The last and second to last….. The look into Number Six and his innate predisposition to be a “lone wolf”. In real society the “lone wolf” exists on the fringes of society, constantly bothered by the police and watched – many of the individuals lead lonely lives but like it that way….. On the other hand – the rulers of the community likewise are a lonely bunch (“lonely at the top”) but like it that way. Both abide by their own rules yet the rulers make rules for the masses (while their activities are overlooked by the police). The rulers and the “fringe element” sometimes change places as they are cut of the same cloth – so to speak….. All of the above is seen in the Prisoner; particularly in the last two episodes .

Maurice

streudel
    Participant

The other episode would be the one where he thinks he’s escaped only to find that it was all a trick (forgot the episode name).

The Chimes of Big Ben. That is an awesome episode. Blew my mind the first time I saw it.

Picking a favorite is almost impossible. Fall Out is brilliant, of course, and if you ask me tommorrow, I’ll probably say that one’s my favorite. But I also have a real fondness for the second to last one, Once Upon A Time. Although, I really consider them one big episode.

It is so fascinating to watch the hunter become the hunted in this one. It is an excellent example of how people come to power in order to exert their will, but in the end, they become trapped too. Number 6 tells Number 2 at some point that he is just as much a Prisoner as the rest of the Villagers.

The acting in this episode is as good as any in any theatrical production anywhere, anytime, IMHO. According to PMcG, this episode was so mentally demanding that Leo McKern had a nervous breakdown during the filming. Although he later forgave PMcG, Leo McKern was rather perturbed at how hard PMcG worked him on this ep. Apparently, there was a hiatus in between Once Upon A Time and Fall Out to give Leo a break.

I’m not sure Leo McKern would have agreed, but the breakdown was well worth the result for the fans.

Anonymous
    streudel wrote:

Apparently, there was a hiatus in between Once Upon A Time and Fall Out to give Leo a break.

…which is the reason that in “Fall Out,” McKern is given “a new face.” He’d shaved and gotten a haircut between the two episodes’ filming, and they had to accomodate for that.

Anonymous
    ”Aleck” wrote:

streudel wrote:

Apparently, there was a hiatus in between Once Upon A Time and Fall Out to give Leo a break.

…which is the reason that in “Fall Out,” McKern is given “a new face.” He’d shaved and gotten a haircut between the two episodes’ filming, and they had to accomodate for that.[/quote]

Not only that, but the biggest change was he hair was BLEACHED for a previous role.

😥
    PLEASE, PLEASE don’t make me pick a favorite episode. I like so many of them… not that there’s THAT many to choose from. I can say that my least favorite is probably “Living in Harmony.” I just didn’t like the ending, it fell a little flat with me. The Schizoid Man is the first episode I remember watching. I was a kid at the time and I can vividly remember wondering how giving himself a shock with that lamp could make #6 a rightie again. I also remember wondering if doing that to my baby brother would make HIM a rightie. Fortunately I discussed this with my mother, who talked me out of giving it a try……

MM

Participant

Without a doubt, my favorite episode is ‘Free For All’.

This was actually the second episode filmed but is usually shown forth. There is a reference in it to Number 6 being a ‘recent recruit’.

The episode involves an election for the position of Number 2. I loved the way Number 2 manipulated Number 6 into running against him for the post and then the way the posters appeared. I laugh every time I see that scene.

The reason this is my favorite is that it is the perfect statment about elections. In the US and I suppose in Britain too. I have to watch this episode before I vote in any election 😀

lizard
    Participant

My favorite episode, so hard to choose. I don’t remember the name of it but here’s a description:

In an attempt to get him to spill the beans, no. 2 is having no. 6 drugged at night. They direct no. 6’s dreams and view them on a large screen. When no. 6 dreams, he dreams of a party. He is going to meet someone at the party, as the episode goes on the party in each successive dream is a little crazier. Finally no. 6 gains control of his own dream and it’s a real trip. I want to go to no.6’s funky cocktail party.

I haven’t watched the prisoner for MANY years, so my opinion might change if I get a chance to see it again.

pet
    Participant

My favorite stand-alone episode is Hammer Into Anvil, mostly because it’s the method I use to drive certain anal types insane. I love the quiet determination Number 6 uses to crack Number 2, and the little smile he carries throughout… making it look like he’s conspiring with Number 2’s lackey, listening to parts of all the same record, and the “Visual Signal”:

.–. .- – .- -.-. .- -.- .
    .–. .- – .- -.-. .- -.- .
    -… .- -.- . .-. … — .- -.
    -… .- -.- . — . .- -.-. .- -.- .
    .- … ..-. .- … –
    .- … -.– — ..- -.-. .- -.

Each one cracks me up every time! I find it very inspiring.

Speaking of which, anyone ever try switching the “I” and “O” keys on your Number 2’s computer? 😈

Pet;D

sgtdraino
    Participant

Without a doubt, “Many Happy Returns.”

We get it all:

He finally ACTUALLY escapes, even if only for a little while.
    He gets to go home.
    He gets his car back.
    He goes back to work.
    He gets to have another go at George Markstein.
    He apparently learns the actual location of the village.
    We apparently learn which side really runs the village.

kokopelli
    Participant

“The episode “Once Upon A Time” had been made quite early on, in March 1967, and stockpiled with the intention of using it as a first season closer. In the event it was used almost as a buffer episode at position sixteen while McGoohan wrote “Fallout” to take up the story and provide the series resolution.”

Interesting…episode 16 was originally meant to be the Season Finale..

“There are many theories, some quite fanciful, as to why The Prisoner was made up of seventeen episodes – an extremely unlikely number in anyone’s book. The simple truth is that, despite it’s cult status today, the series bombed on it’s first showing and the production, over budget and out of time, was cancelled. The cast and crew, with sixteen episodes filmed (but not necessarily completed), were told that they could make only one more episode to wrap up the loose ends – an episode unwritten and unscripted, yet due to go into production the following week!”

http://www.the-prisoner-6.freeserve.co.uk/episode_aftermath.htm

kokopelli
    Participant

I have a new thread in this forum here:

http://www.sadgeezer.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5280&highlight=&sid=2b26c435be5a83ca1317be5182411c90

For some reason isit is currently invisible , the index not working.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.