I’m going to Toronto, I’m going to Toronto

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub I’m going to Toronto, I’m going to Toronto

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    My daddy’s seriously considering going to Toronto, Canada; he wants to show me around where he was born & raised, visited a couple of relatives & not worry about the plants back home. We’re planning a 2 week trip there either the last 2 weeks in August; giving me a week to get myself ready for DC, or the last 2 weeks in September. I’ll let you all know when the dates are confirmed; & yes, I’ll be taking as many pictures as I can.
    I’d like to have ideas, places to see or whatever suggestions you may have if you’ve been to Toronto; I’m getting so excited, that I’m gitty. If this trip goes well for us this yr, my mom would like to show both my daddy & I where she was born & raised; also, if it goes well, we may take even longer trips & enjoy the scenery. I’ll let you know the details as they come up.
    I’ll see you all in DC & have a great Summer.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

pinhead
    Participant

Sounds like fun. The NHL Hall of Fame is in Toronto ๐Ÿ™‚

KarubaLuna
    Participant

Gah! Hockey! ROM is fun (Royal Ontario Museum) and all the tourists have to get their butts dragged up the CN Tower – looks like Seattle’s Space Needle only taller. Great view – especially at night – if you can handle heights.

If you can catch a play at the Royal Alexander Threatre do it! And have dinner at Ed’s Warehouse before-hand – I think it is next door – or close by at any rate. Fantastic roast beef as I recall. Both are historic treats. I hope they are still old-fashioned swank.

People back east think T.O.’s Chinatown is pretty cool. (Ours is like, waaaaaay better). But since it has been ages since I was back there I am not really a very good resource. iStan might be more helpful since he knows Toronto well.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. ๐Ÿ˜€

pet
    Participant

The Planetarium is sorta cool, too, if it’s still there. It was a good place to cool off in the afternoon nd rest your feet for a bit if you were going to be out all day.

And the subway is SOOOOO CLEAN! There are stores at the stops! It’s like going to a mall but the crowds are smaller and you don’t have to walk very far. We did that when it rained.

Last time I was there they had a store set up like an old-time candy store called the Condom Shack on Queen St. which was amusing as well as disturbing ๐Ÿ˜ณ , but it’s not the kind of place you go with your Dad!

(Did bump into my cousin there, though, which was exceptionally funny.)

ilyekkakai
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ Kewlness …I wish I could tag along ๐Ÿ˜‰ …take some piccies for me please ๐Ÿ˜€

iStan
    Participant

The Condom Shack is still there, but unfortunately (thank you, Tory swine) the Planetarium is no longer there. The largest Chinese community outside of, well, China has two Chinatowns now and even a couple of interesting malls out in the suburbs. The Zoo is a treat, subways are still clean, and Maple Leaf Gardens is still standing, although soon to be turned into a supermarket of all things…

Anyway, I’m sure that your Dad has lots of ideas on how to spend your time there and I hope that you have a great time Jhevz. Congrats, eh.

ilyekkakai
    Participant

One of these days….. I do plan on a visit to Canada ….. can any Canada residents clue me in to the ideal place to visit? ..I heard Vancouver is nice…but I also fancy getting a glimse of Nova Scotia..LOL ๐Ÿ˜† …I know ๐Ÿ˜› …they are two locations at opposite ends ๐Ÿ˜‰
    ..But any input would be greatly appreciated ๐Ÿ˜€

iStan
    Participant

Toronto would be great, especially at the end of this month, ilyekkakai.

My family owned property on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for years, relatives lived out there and so on. It’s stunningly beautiful, no doubt about it. KarubaLuna could certainly fill you in on the charms of the west coast, as could Logan I’m sure. I would say that Vancouver offers cosmopolitan charms and attractions combined with easy access to the super natural beauties of rural B.C., whereas N.S. and Halifax are a bit less, um, worldly. Seeing them both, though, would be well worth your while.

Which reminds me of an interesting story (actually it’s a bit long and kind of dull). One of my overly herbalised friends made the coast to coast trek a couple of summers back. Having spent time in Nova Scotia, he stopped off in iStanario for a bit of sanity and civilisation before continuing westward. He raved about the Maritimes and how spectacular it was to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic. Then he gleefully exclaimed that he was thrilled by the fact that he was going to be able the watch the sun rise over both the Atlantic and the Pacific in one summer. A neat trick if you can do it, given that the sun generally rises in the east and the Pacific is found to the west of B.C.

Okay, I’ll go back to sleep now.

pet
    Participant

Ah! The water tour! People at my college who had saved enough money used to spend the summer bringing a jar of Atlantic water to the Pacific. That’s how you trigger El Nino, you know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

One of them who didn’t have the money did it by hopping trains. He lost his wallet and ID, but he got a dog and an interesting odor out of it.

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    Thanks for all your suggestions; each 1 sounds like cool places to go see & do. The Royal Ontairo Museum sounds like reall good place to go, since they’re gonna have an Egyptian exhibit there all Summer long; plus, my mom wants to go there & so do I.
    This morning, my mom & I went to our local AAA office & got a tourbook & some maps of Toronto; later on, my daddy showed me where he grew up (Venn Crescent), went to school & so on. Since he’s showing me around the place a bit, that means that this trip is definitely a go; all we’re doing now, is planning what we would like to see, do & so on. I can’t wait for the trip; I’ll be fulfilling another lifelong dream; wow oh wow. I’ll definitely keep you all informed of our plans to Toronto.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

theFrey
    Participant

I liked the tower too. I was a bit of a tower junkie in my youth. CN tower being my first.

Jhevz, I seem to remember a really kick hiney science museum when I was last in Toronto in my mid twenties. You may want to look it up.

Of course, after lo these many years it may have crumbled into dust from age…. so perhaps someone that has been there more recently can advise you.

Big_Green_Beid
    Participant
    iStan wrote:

My family owned property on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for years, relatives lived out there and so on. It’s stunningly beautiful, no doubt about it. KarubaLuna could certainly fill you in on the charms of the west coast, as could Logan I’m sure. I would say that Vancouver offers cosmopolitan charms and attractions combined with easy access to the super natural beauties of rural B.C., whereas N.S. and Halifax are a bit less, um, worldly.

Cape Breton is a great place to go, although it isn’t the most populated or developed area around. If you want to meet some crazy Acadians, I suggest you take a trip up there. I spent my weekend among them. ๐Ÿ˜€

As for Halifax, well, I’m a little biased against it. It is far from a big city, contrary to what the advertisements say. Natural sites are alot better in other parts of the country. Also, you can’t go for a dip in the harbour without coming across a couple little ‘turds’. Alot of trees though…

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    The trip to Toronto is coming along nicely; we had our meeting this morning & found out that we all put soemthing similiar to our lists of places to see & do. We’ve decided on visiting a day with 1 relative at Lake Simpcoe, go to Niagra Falls for a day, visit his aunt for a couple of hrs, then spend the other half going sightseeing, going to the Royal Ontario Museum for a day, a day of R&R, then anything else we want to do before heading for home.
    We’re right now looking for the best rates in flights (hopefully from Sac Airport) & stay at a condo (where they have a kitchen, bath, living room & a bedroom); I’ll keep you all informed of our Toronto trip.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous
    Big_Green_Beid wrote:

Cape Breton is a great place to go, although it isn’t the most populated or developed area around. If you want to meet some crazy Acadians, I suggest you take a trip up there. I spent my weekend among them. ๐Ÿ˜€

For those not in the know, the Acadians are distant cousins of the Cajuns in Louisiana. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cape Breton is awesome. Just make sure you check the weather before you go – I had planned to spend 3+ days out there when I went, but a huge storm came in and I just didn’t think the hiking would be all that great amidst landslide warnings. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I did take a few pics before the storm came, though:

http://stormsweeper.net/pics/cape_breton/

Also, things close early there. Like 7pm early in many cases.

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    There’s been a change of plans from the original plan; what we were gonna do was stay in 1 hotel & go around Toronto, visit relatives & sightsee. What we’re planning to do instead, is stay a few days in Toronto & visit my dad’s aunt, then stay a few day in Orilla & visit with his cousin & go exploring, then stay a few more days in Downtown Toronto & sightsee & see what we want to see there, stay a couple nights in Niagra Falls, stay 1 night near the airport & fly home the next day. I like this better, because we don’t have to go through any traffic & we can take our time sightseeing, visiting his 93 yr old aunt & his cousin & have fun, fun, fun.
    I’ll keep you all informed of our plans as the trip gets closer & closer; I’ll also be taking plenty of pics there.
    Have a great Summer.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.