Lexx.com Board …. {Part Ducks}

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Lexx.com Board …. {Part Ducks}

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

This is a continuation thread caused because the first part (Lexx.com Board……) became too large.

pet
    Participant

Awww, Man! They’re down again and I actually had a cool Lexx Kokoro game for the Steve et all!

Pet;D

(Alright, someone had to post here eventually….)

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Fatguy
    Participant

Ok, I am back, just poking around here. I can say one thing; Sad is more intimidating to newbies than LEXX.com. It is more restrained and people express their views in a more political fashion as opposed to a more immediate and viseral way. Some may interpret this as elitism; however, to be fair, I would say that this is not the case.

I suppose the big, heavy, brass lined door; that one must open to enter at Sad is a way to prevent the teenagers from taking over. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the youthful free-for-all is not for everyone, nor particularily desirable if one is interested in a more deep philosophical discussion of a topic.

I will continue to look around this place and see if I can find any mendacity in the threads, and how the folks deal with such things…..

[ 18-10-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

Great. Now we’ll have to spray for bugs. And I was starting to like those little guys. Had names for some of them.

mandara k
    Participant

I don’t mind the bugs but i really REALLY hate mice, rats and snakes YEEEECH!!!

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mandara k:
    I don’t mind the bugs but i really REALLY hate mice, rats and snakes YEEEECH!!!

But thems good eatin’!

mandara k
    Participant

if i wanted fine continental cuisine like that I’d go to Kentucky Fried Chicken, at least they bread and deep fry their mice.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Fatguy:
    Ok, I am back

Okay everyone Golf Clap please!

quote:

I suppose the big, heavy, brass lined door;

*theFrey peers around confuzzled.*

Where? Where are you at that they have doors like that to get onto the board?

*theFrey gets an alarming thought*

You aren’t on AOL are you?!!?

quote:

I will continue to look around this place and see if I can find any mendacity in the threads, and how the folks deal with such things…

Is this an inspection? Can I see your credentials? What pest control company do you work for?

*theFrey calls out to the main board*

Sad!!! We got us a guy here checking us for liars. Do you want him to spray for pompous windbags while he is here?*

Eeeep! Work calls! Later all.

Fatguy
    Participant

LOL! Ok I get it; but be warned:

Fatguy Is Here To Stay! LOL

Fatguy is not really so bad….. Many consider his company preferable to having a broken arm for example…..LOL But seriously – The Sad site is really a jewel in the rough that I consider to have a base that can grow and develop. There seem to be many members here to help run things and this can only bode well for it’s continued existence (and I like the fact Dr.Who has a place now).

Maurice

Flamegrape
    Participant

Just play nice.

Lest the moderators swoop down upon thee with the terrible might of the Nazgûl, yea verily.

theFrey
    Participant

*theFrey looks around.*

Hummm, didn’t take. I guess I will have to pick up a few ‘Condescension Glue Traps’ and perhaps a little something in a spring loaded bear trap.

*theFrey brushes a few specks of dust off the blue white surface of the round brilliant that is the Sad board and then returns to her work.*

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really am blown away by this site. Not only may it be the best Lexx site around (considering the Lexx info and the forums), but it is definitely one of the best sci-fi sites I have ever visited (for someone who loves forums, then it is the best).

I still do feel a little intimidated, so I haven’t been posting here a lot, but that’s because I am so in awe of the people involved here (I don’t want to let you down with lame posts — too late for that I know ). And let’s face it, there is a higher level of sophistication and articulateness at this site — I can’t help but feel you’re all a little out of my league.

A good web site is always changing and always improving. This is a stupendous site!

Other reasons why the forums here are amongst the best I’ve ever visited:

a) The moderators actually improve on your posts. Sadd edited a thread of mine in “General TV…” and fixed the broken links. Now that’s dedication!

b) When the mods edit posts here they state why — that is very smart because then the poster can really learn from his/her mistakes. It’s all around a very considerate thing to do.

c) The administration here is obviously very open to the idea of taking on new mods — everyone has the chance. I noticed that when one person expressed interest in a StarHunter forum (I watch that show too), then Sadd set-up a brand new forum for it (on condition of his being moderator). Now how cool is that?!

d) I feel that there is less secrecy from the admin. than at some other forums. I just want to test out this theory: theFrey, how did you become a moderator here? No, on second thought, don’t answer that. I’ve heard that the first rule for a moderator is that you don’t reveal how you became a moderator.

e) The site is not at the mercy of a faceless corporation which has a commercial agenda for the site. Of course this site needs donations etc. to stay alive, but this is different. This site is really maintained for the love of it.

This site is a labour of love, and it shows. Kudos!

From Logan/FunkET, I’m a proud SadGeezer wannabe!

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are so many wonderful things I could say about this site and the people involved, but I forgot to mention how much I like the Topic Review; it makes responding so much easier.

PS theFrey, HDS, Flame, Pet, Midori et al, you also have great sites (so does FatGuy if you’re into pictures of his ass — lol). Looking forward to visiting all of the SadGeezer posters sites. There’s a whole lot of talent here.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Logan:
    I still do feel a little intimidated, so I haven’t been posting here a lot…

Humm, I never noticed that. So please feel free to post like the wind. Okay, so not like the wind that is generated bodily, but you know what I mean

d) I feel that there is less secrecy from the admin. than at some other forums. I just want to test out this theory: theFrey, how did you become a moderator here? No, on second thought, don’t answer that. I’ve heard that the first rule for a moderator is that you don’t reveal how you became a moderator.

Actually I have only recently heard that rule. And since I didn’t hear about it here it does not apply here.

Some people struggle and scheme (teasing) for moderatorship and some people have it thrust upon them. I was actually a moderator at Sad’s for a week before I even knew it. I was made a moderator for my services to the site. *sniff* I was so, so …. Proud.

Perhaps the fact that I am a quick study also helped. I went from seeing my first Lexx episode in April of 2001 to knowing every decent Lexx site on the web in three months. Unrelenting emails and a visa card also enabled me to see every available episode by that time, a big help in getting me up to speed Lexx wise. If you think back, the only thing commercially available in US or CAN at that time were the first four movies.

But no matter where I roam, I come back here, because I like it the best. I am glad to be Sad.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wannabe’s enough for me

Thanks for responding so promptly theFrey (I’m liking this site more and more, if possible, cause I already like it a lot!)

But no matter where I roam, I come back here, because I like it the best. I am glad to be Sad.

Well I’m glad to be a SadGeezer wannabe.

mandara k
    Participant

AWWWW; that’s so sweet; group cyber hug

You know I like the site because it is blalanced; it has got a lot here; and i was not treated like an idiot when I post here when I was a newbie. It’s my experience that the world is negative enough; I really don’t need someone i will probably never meet rip me a new you-know-what over television shows
    And Sadgeezer openly encourages fan art, stories, etc… and that is very cool.

I don’t agree it’s elitist; the moderators are very down to earth; and incredibly helpful, and don’t put up with crap. I respect that; like i said if you hate the world feeling argumentative go punch a wall; don’t attack other people.

Sure, I get preachy, yes i can get on my high horse; but I don’t go after individuals; I don’t know them that well to say so.

Thanks to Sadgeezer and all who make this site a comfortable and exciting place to post

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mandara, agreed. I feel very welcome at this site. The moderators and everyone else don’t talk down to you, in fact, they made me feel a whole lot better. I have never been to a forum where the people have made a better impression on me. A lot of the people from Lexx.com that I really respect are here. The administration was amazingly welcoming, they actually made me feel like they wanted me here and valued my input, and trust me, usually no one wants me anywhere!

Yep, there’s a feeling of real warmth here. If I have felt a little intimidated, it’s simply because I respect and like the people here so much that I feel that my presence here should in some way be as excellent as all of yours.

(Oops, it looks like I might be sucking up a bit — or maybe even a lot. But, believe me, I only suck up to the best. Oh, that’s not true sometimes I suck up to the worst when I think it will profit me )

Make Money Fast The Logan Way

Oh, and on a side note, I have a little business venture that some of you may be interested in investing in. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. Just email me for details — lol.

mandara k
    Participant

EEEK!!!! Telemarketers found me;

I can’t get away from them; they follow me everywhere!

Nope, don’t do much of that kind of hoin here in Iowa; no call for a Big Mack Daddy likes you Logan to be tellin’me “where’s my money BIT–” as good as you are j/k

Well, I don’t mind Lexx.com though it does disturb me that the most popular thread is “what do you look like” and though that is okay; i like just chatting with peeps; I don’t want to date them. I could go into any chat room and get these questions; what do you look like, what do you do. Hell, any social setting does this; I don’t mind off-topic too; but like I said if i wanted to do this i could look at personals.
    I come to talk about LEXX, sci-fi, and to have a laugh (SUCK UP ALERT>>>>) like some of the ones you provide Logan. I like M. Frey’s site; and the last LEXX Muppets in Space was very funny.

Speaking of funny, that fatguy I do not understand; he ditches this board there on LEXX.com and praises this on while he’s here.
    I think that is called speaking with forked tongue.

Why is it a big deal; peeps go where they are comfortable; i like it here.

Fatguy
    Participant

Speaking of funny, that fatguy I do not understand; he ditches this board there on LEXX.com and praises this on while he’s here. I think that is called speaking with forked tongue.

The reality is that Fatguy does not understand himself. Actually you have to put those posts into the time frames they were posted and you will see that I posted them before joining here (Fatguy crosses fingers). At any rate, this is not a zero sum game – one can exist posting on both boards (Fatguy crosses fingers again…..).

Maurice

Anonymous

Well there’e been a few punches thrown here…
    and a few misspellings and dangling participles. We even talk about sports sometimes (well I do..) So no reason for anyone to feel intimidated!

I’m always impressed by how much information everyone here has at their fingertips, you can bring up the oddest things.

Logan, your get rich quick scheme had better not involve off-shore servers….

And Fatguy, I’m sure I don’t understand you either, but maybe you’re just looking for a place to hang out!

elmey

Jhevz
    Participant

There seem to be many members to help run things and this can only bode well for it’s continued existance (and I like the fact Dr. Who has a place now)

FatGuy, you said it right on the nose; if you can, please check out my post here on the Lexx Convention site, about the Gallifrey Convention coming up this February.

I checked lexx.com earlier today & it seemed to be running; may be it’s me, but this 1’s a lot better, mainly because you don’t have to sign up (register) in order to post; also, I like it because there’s a lot of friendly people to chat with .
    Take care & have a great Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

Anonymous

There’s some pretty major limitations to the lexx.com forums in software; the search isn’t all that fucntional which makes it hard (read: impossible) to find things sometimes.

Right now it’s on the downswing fron newboe flood 2, starting when “Yo Way Yo” aired again. Sci Fi doesn’t squish the credits for that one, and thus everyone can see the http://www.lexx.com in the end credits.

I’m more of a lurker here, although for awhile I was more active here than on lexx.com – although that’s changed since I was made a moderator over there. As to how that came about – it was thrust upon me.

Fatguy
    Participant

One thing I like here is that there are actual forums for “fanfic” and such. I started a poetry thread at LEXX.com that keeps disappearing daily if brought back up to the top.

These are “text” forums; and I am all in favor of experimentation with the various forms of communication through the written word. One point – the rules and regulations on posting are more daunting to newbies. I posted a fairly violent (but not too graphic) piece of fanfic just to see the reaction and was pleased to see it stay up there. However, asking permission seems counterproductive to new and shocking techniques that deserve experimentation in forums such as this.

I do not know how Sadgeezer set up the constitution for his site; but sci-fi is the exploration of the new and unknown – setting limits seems to go against the spirit of sci-fi. I guess you can tell I am a big “freedom of speech” advocate.

Maurice

[ 21-10-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

One thing I like here is that there are actual forums for “fanfic” and such….. I am all in favor of experimentation with the various forms of communication through the written word. One point – the rules and regulations on posting are more daunting to newbies. I posted a fairly violent (but not too graphic) piece of fanfic just to see the reaction and was pleased to see it stay up there. However, asking permission seems counterproductive to new and shocking techniques that deserve experimentation in forums such as this.

Bummer, but that will happen anywhere but Scifi.com. Life is like that sometimes. Sometimes it has more to do with the traffic of the individual board, sometimes it is moderator prefrence. Happily here, the rules for the nature of the traffic and the moderators prefrence agree. (Well they have to wouldn’t they, since I wrote the rules )

I do not know how Sadgeezer set up the consitution for his site; but sci-fi is the exploration of the new and unknown – setting limits seems to go against the spirit of sci-fi. I guess you can tell I am a big “freedom of speech” advocate.

Yes all the Fic and Art forums have rules. And they are watched fairly closely. I don’t know about Flame, but all the forums I moderate send me an email with the contents of the new post immediately. Infact the only thing that will make me log on to Sadgeezer while at work, is to get rid of or edit an offensive post. I will do it, but it would make me quite cranky, since I do not like to use the work comp for anything but checking email. The rules for fic, are pretty much identical to the other forums, and can be found here http://www.sadgeezer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=26&t=000002

We have had some pretty good stuff in the past and I look forward to seeing more in the future. One thing I find interesting is the insight I gain into the authors mind, by their handling of various subject matter.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

AWWWW; that’s so sweet; group cyber hug

theFrey’s don’t hug. Not even cyber hugs. Ask Flame, he’ll tell you. Fortunately for him, I was traveling with out my Staff of Power. (It is just too difficult to get through airport security)

Anonymous

Well, comparing this site to Lexx.com, I’d have to say this site is better organized, with at least some breakdown into topic lists.

However, my chief beef with Lexx.com is its censorship policy. Essentially, there isn’t one – but if they don’t like you, your posts tend to disappear. They also reserve the right to edit your posts. I dropped off the Lexx.com board for over a year and hung out on the US Sci Fi Board simply because I was getting tired of being screwed over.

The odd thing was that many of the posts that I had deleted simply weren’t objectionable. I was being targeted. There were a few others who were targeted, including a friendly, silly person named Frodo, who I assume they simply got tired of.

I’ll be honest and say not all of my posts were deleted or modified. In fact, only a minority were. I still rankles me.

Overall, I consider the Lexx.com establishment and especially the people who run the chatroom to be a little inbred and inflexible. One of the persistent irritants has been the spoilers policy, which idiotically prohibited discussion of the show itself for fear of spoiling new people – whether new people were present or not, and regardless of whether new people wanted to be spoiled or not.

This left us in the bizarre situation of a Lexx-free Lexx chat. The chat spoiler policy has been amended now so that only discussion of the fourth season is prohibited. Years after the first, second and third seasons were on the air, airing repeatedly, the spoiler ban was lifted – at a point when no one cared. As for the fourth season, it has only aired twice so far and the series has only been officially over for half a year. Pathetic, simply pathetic.

I would point out, however, that is only with respect to the chatroom. On the lexx.com board, you can actually discuss the show, but you are obliged to put spoiler alerts in your posts, and the moderators (or someone) may occasionally blank out spoilerish portions of your post.

Nevertheless, I believe that this supposedly benign approach has done much to poison the atmosphere, especially for the new people who are supposed to benefit. I think it has hindered recruitment into lexx fandom, and fostered an elitist clique who maintain their status by running the board and enforcing arbitrary rules.

Of course, the US Sci Fi Board also melted down into exclusionary self absorbed cliques, partly as a result of the history and dynamic of that board.

Overall, Lexx fandom is visibly withering away. The average fan who might become involved is driven away by the politics and backbiting and showboating of the dominant cliques. Even fans who are involved are steadily stepping away.

I imagine that one day the cliques at Lexx.com will wake up to find that there is no one around to lord it over, no one cares about their little kingdom and then that will be that.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I tend to agree, Valdron.

But I’ll add to that my current complaint with the total lack of webpages at Lexx.Com. I’ve sent emails, but I’ve received no reply. They need an attractive website to inform newbies of general information.

Fatguy
    Participant

With regard to improving websites; I would hitch my wagon to the Sadboard and do it here.

LEXX.com is in a very perilous position as it is. It is very much a corporate entity and the forums do not add to the bottom line. I would just let the site carry on until it’s natural death – whenever that happens. The truth is that many people on the net (for whatever reason) rely of these boards for friendship and as a hedge against the loneliness in thier lives; A push for improvements would probably close the site down (or have it linked to another board). One less fan site is not a good thing.

P.S. Flamegrape: I happen to know for a fact that corporations get a “bug up their bum” when an “outsider” wants to make changes to “their” site. I feel that asking them is not only a waste of time but actually dangerous to the longevity of a site that is nothing but a “cost” on the company books. Sadgeezer is completely different, you know the man himself and are already a part of the site; your efforts will not be wasted here.

Maurice

Anonymous

Hi, Valdron.

Good to see you again. All I can say to your post is, I agree…..

Lexxterious
    Participant

From Valdron:
    Overall, Lexx fandom is visibly withering away. The average fan who might become involved is driven away by the politics and backbiting and showboating of the dominant cliques. Even fans who are involved are steadily stepping away.

All I can say is ‘Wow’. I consider myself pretty astute at corporate politics having ‘survived’ two decades in my chosen profession. Much of what Fatguys says about leaving well enough alone rings true. But in my two months at Lexx.com I have never felt it was anything other than a source of fun. I learned quite a few new things about Lexx, and many hours of entertainment there from the talented contributions of the members. Sure there were a few rules but there are rules everywhere. The other item I noted was a constantly growing membership and very active turn of the topics. Oh at times, they went lame and there were ‘snerts’ who would visit and post silly items, but overall, I have to say that I have been pleased with Lexx.com

Those who think it is dominated by cliques, well if you don’t post there that becomes self-fulfilling prophesy

Anonymous

from frey:

quote:

One thing I find interesting is the insight I gain into the authors mind, by their handling of various subject matter.

Uh-Oh. I’m starting to think twice about that fan fiction…..

Regarding boards and cliques:
    Maybe I’m just oblivious, but I haven’t noticed any real problems with cliques
    on lexx.com (or here either obviously )
    Everyone just seems to ramble away. I don’t see why any new fans would be put off by it. Whatever happens in chat there doesn’t noticeably spill over to the board.

The scifi.com board is just weird, but I wonder if anyone actually finds that one first anyway.

Valdron, I suppose you have your reasons for being unhappy with fandom, but the people who post and chat are really a tiny percentage of the people who actually saw the show and liked it. I’m not sure what you’re looking for–a way to keep the pleasures of the show alive I imagine. But it seems to me that the dynamics of fandom have to change once a show ends.
    Hell, maybe we should all help Flamegrape build the mother of all fan-sites for Lexx, I don’t know.

elmey

mandara k
    Participant

You know what I’d like to see? Now let me write a little disclaimer here. We all would like to see all of Mr. D’s work be award winning, make tons of money, etc… but I think he has had his biggest support with this show; and I don’t care how long it takes; I would like to get the typical die but keep coming back status so that when he takes his lovely grandaughter (many years in the future) to a flea market; he will pick up that Xev doll with one leg and grin. Then, reaching into his pocket for change; he may sigh with contentment for now two of his greatest creations would have found a home with each other.

Midori
    Participant

WEEEEEEEEEEE i couldnt help my self i had to post something
    HI Logan i have a site?? not really.. a page is more like it
    This topic went every were so ill see if i can squish (hee hee squish) it all into here
    I loooove the sadgeezer site.. its well organized and feels more “mature” so to say but not so serious.. make sense??
    Lexx.com is where i bable uncontrolably(?)
    i can usual have a conversation here pertaining to actual Lexxieness
    Im never Confraggled here (yeah i have my own weirdo language with certain words i have about 5 variations for that word which im sure you all have seen at one point :P)
    hope to post more here in the future.. but now t late and i have not been t bed.. so off i go..

ta ta
    Midori

pet
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:

The scifi.com board is just weird, but I wonder if anyone actually finds that one first anyway.

elmey

I found that one first. That’s why I have no problem with moderation whatsoever.

Pet;D

Anonymous

Well, I can only speak for myself here. So take any of this worth a grain of salt.

The lexx.com board has some “community standards” regarding spoilers – this has basically eased down to where (in my mind) only really the ending of S4 is affected. I personally think spoiler tags are silly, but understand and respect the desire for them.

As for editing posts: I have only done it to a) make an inline image just a URL, for large images; b) fix a messed up “quote” tag as it’s one of my peeves; c) to put spoiler tags on talk of the end of S4, usually in new member posts. To the best of my knowledge, that is all Splarka or Rachel have ever done.

I’ve only deleted a handful of posts, and a large number of those were simply duplicate postings. In fact the only other ones I deleted were over some rather juvenile insults being thrown about by one of the younger posters over there, and I closed the thread with a message for 12 hours before I deleted it.

theFrey
    Participant

Well I have never had a problem with any of my posts on Lexx.com.

I was once part of a thread cleanisng though. Great fun that. I was caught up in it, and some of it was directed at me, but since I was not the cause of it being deleted, it didn’t bother me.

But let me tell you.. better that than the Scifi.com mess. *shudder*

But I do think the Season 4 spoiler rule is silly. Most people who really want to see the eps have seen them. It is confussing on the bored and stifling to Lexx fandom in the chat. IMHO And hey, I could be wrong.

There is a first time for everything ya know. 😛

*God I wish I coould spell!*

[ 21-10-2002: Message edited by: thefrey ]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just rambling, silly thoughts

Stormsweeper: I don’t think anyone’s complaining about you. I wasn’t being untruthful when I said that you’ve proven yourself to be a fine, thoughtful moderator. But then you’re rather new, let’s see how you fare after six months or so. I won’t hold it against you if after a time you become so jaded that you become generally condescending, officious, and sarcastic — you have to put up with a lot of BS over there (this happened at one forum I used to visit).

You’re still, except perhaps to the ultra-new newbies, “one of us.” And as long as you don’t act superior to the rest of us, as long as you’re at least as equal with your praise as you are with your criticisms, in short, as long as you’re friendly, you’ll get respect.

I’ve actually never had a topic deleted by the mods at lexx.com. Nor have I had a post deleted unless it was part of someone else’s deleted thread. Of course I insanely deleted a lot of my own.

I’ve actually been unfairly hard on Roachel and Sparkly in the past — I do admire them and would never mean them any disrespect.

Splarka is very helpful; he’s given out a lot of info on the show when people have asked. “R” is generally wise and articulate, though, perhaps, sometimes a little inflexible in her thinking (there’s always more than one side to an issue, which is why I played devil’s advocate with her quite often).

I guess the difference here is that I was really made to feel welcome and valued by the Sad administration as soon as I joined — maybe that’s just because they have more time to encourage people to contribute; there are fewer members and posts.

BTW, Rachel has certainly stood up for me at Lexx.com and I really appreciated it. But I was disheartened when the fist time a moderator took the trouble to address me by name, it was a criticism and very condescending at that. I over-reacted because I was going through a very hard time then, and was in really deep depression. In retrospect it was no big deal, all-in-all, I think they do a fine job.

As for being edited here, I want to be edited because, in my experience, the Sadgeezer people actually improve on your posts. But, it has been my experience that moderators generally treat people better than they get treated themselves. And that’s very sad. Everybody should try being moderator for a week at a crazy place lie lexx.com, then they’d see how hard it can be, and have more respect for them. It’s tough being a moderator; you’re expected to set the bar, you have to set an example, you are expected to be of the highest moral fibre, and when you deviate (often out of frustration) at all from those high standards, people jump all over you.

BTW, this board needs a spell and grammar-check!

pet
    Participant

I don’t think this board needs any sex-appeal or Grandma check!

BCingU
    14071;D

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Logan:
    BTW, this board needs a spell and grammar-check!

Tony!!!!! See. I am not the only spelling and grammar inpaired poster who yearns for the day when the spell checker programs roam freely across the vast World Wide Web.

mandara k
    Participant

Well, as one who was just jumped on because I did not edit/delete fast enough to suit; I’m not so sure if being here is all that it’s cracked up to be. I’m sorry the computer I was using doesn’t move very fast; when it takes a whole morning just to download the intro of this site; PM are nigh impossible to get to; and with my experience the PM I have sent don’t get acknowledged which is rude; so I rarely even check them. And so I get the screws turned on twice. So, I removed what is offensive. I hope you are happy; you got what you wanted from me. Next time may be you would consider the extenuating circumstances before addressing me twice.

Oh, BTW a little kindness goes a long way while you are at it. I was wrong about the posts but I was not in the position to immediately change them.

Flamegrape
    Participant

Not to worry, Mandara. All is well. There was some confusion, but it has been cleared up. You’re a good sport and everyone around here likes you just fine.

And I agree about the PM function here at SadBoard. I’ve sent and received private messages that have gone unseen for weeks and months. There ought to be a better way for the bulletin board to signal users that they have new messages in their private mailboxes.

Fatguy
    Participant

I guess I should say something here as I am the most deleted/edited poster of the bunch.

So far at LEXX.com I have had 5 threads (that I know of) deleted and probably 50 to 100 posts entirely deleted and I have no idea how many edited (probably about five yesterday alone).

There is another poster who gets edited/deleted when he is there; but he visits infrequently so I guess I take top prize for the so-called “spam”. I guess I am used to this type of activity – always a negative reaction. I could show gold and the reaction would be negative (must be me). In my younger days I wrote a book (like a road map back to sanity for the mentally lost). It sits in my basement unaltered for over twenty years because I have given up on the human race; for the most part. The point of all this personal history is that I do not trust my fellow man. I would not trust myself with a lot of power. “Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely” – that is why we have a constitution, laws, and leaders who do not have a free hand in important matters. Judging what is worthy to remain in a fan website should be a no-brainer – I would allow everything except that which would leave the website and adminsitrators open to legal action. Put your faith in human nature and you will always be disappointed, not always true, but very close to truth…..

Maurice

[ 21-10-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

Anonymous
    Inactive

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:

Tony!!!!! See. I am not the only spelling and grammar inpaired poster who yearns for the day when the spell checker programs roam freely across the vast World Wide Web.

This board also needs a English-German translator so I can translate all my nonsense posts into nonsense German.

Oh how I liked to entertain our eminently Teutonic friends in Klatschecke that way. I would suggest that it is the most fun you can have at LEXX.com.

Anonymous

WoW! Loads of wonderful comments!

And thanks for the kind words about the SadBOARD – they are an inspiration!

Sadgeezer.com is being re-vamped as we speak. This has been going on for months and I’m currently reviewing my 4th installation of portal software. The hope is that it is interesting and entertaining to the visitors and users of SadBOARD. The next sadgeezer.com will be centered around the board plus will have lots of new features useful to sci fi sadgeezers like us.

The fact is, that sadgeezers are commonplace on the net. You can see them set up boards and websites all the time and some of them (like me) are lucky enough to recognise that the most fun in being a webmaster can be helping to develop a community that has the same interests as you.

Sure, sadgeezer.com is a labour of love and it takes up a lot of time and expence, but it’s the best hobby I, Newkate (and many of the moderators) have had! I met my wife through the site and loads of sadgeezers came to the wedding! (http://www.fawl.net/wedding/pictures.htm) I have close friendships with peeps that I’ve met on this board and am continually amazed at how cool people are. I don’t seem to find that on other boards.

However, is it wasn’t for the people at lexx.com, this site (never mind the board) wouldn’t exist! Splarka and Rachel are minor deities as far as I am concerned and I can only ever be praisworthy of their efforts (especially to the general lexx community). Splarka was an inspiration for sadgeezer.com and provided a huge amount of encouragement when the site was in it’s infancy. Rachel has helped with sadchats and other stuff and is a genuine computer genius.

BUT! The heaviest, funniest, meatiest, most kick-ass posts I’vce seen have been placed here! Some of this stuff is bloody amazing! Even the troll posts have a sadgeezery class about them. There are people on this board who are very outspoken and intimidating as hell. Others who post on the board in the hope that their favourite star will see their message (the lovely Ana in the Andromeda forum for example). There is always something cool to read and that my friends, is all down to you! This site isn’t owned by me – it’s all down to you lot. For me it’s the epitomy of BBS, being in a room with lots of like minded people. There are some that you NEVER would pick and argument with (Aleck, Darlek even Bonnee and others), there are some that you would never pick a fight with, Frey, FX, Cat (because no-body is that crazy) and there are people like Flame, Mary, Sloppy … good grief, the list is endless, who are also a blast to be around.

If I don’t visit the board at least once a day it makes me cranky!

There are 3500 visitors a day to sadgeezer.com and that number will increase dramatically as the new site is installed and registered (with the search engines). The fact is though, that the board is in great shape and easily able to handle it.

The only problem with it, is the fact that we have 5 times the number of lurkers than posters. I sometimes worry that the SadBOARD is a little too intimidating for newbies. All I can say to them is that there are many of us who don’t consider ourselves expert in sci fi who post regularly and (for whatever reason) interaction with other members of the community will always be cool. I think this is one of the friendliest and most informative boards I’ve been to.

Thanks to you guys!

mandara k
    Participant

Thank you Saddio-daddio; and your lovely wife, too.

Can I borrow the car now?

FX
    Participant

quote:

Thank you Saddio-daddio; and your lovely wife, too.

Can I borrow the car now?

suckup! I get the car this week!!!

it makes up for the official divine order of sadgeezer robes saddy was too cheap to buy for us!

[ 23-10-2002: Message edited by: FX ]

mandara k
    Participant

Oh yeah? Pistols at dawn and you can have the Frey as your second. My ex always said instead of the big D( and I don’t mean Dallas) couples should have the option of pistols at dawn. This actually would have boded ill for him because I’m a pretty good shot. Well, growing up here deer capital. Everyone is hitting deers around here right and left now.

Bambi is becoming road kill daily;

trillian
    Participant

*steals car keys while everyone else is fighting*

Hahahaha, the car is MINE! mine I tell you. Now where do I want to go today?

*boringly, she heads off to the library*

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guess I’m now a true member of the SadGeezer community

Thank you Saddy for your kind words. Unfortunately, I knew that my love affair with this site would have to end at some time; a psychologically interesting thread has been deleted in the “LEXX Fanfic” forum. Certainly the thread was disturbing in a pathological way, but then so is Lexx at times.

The saddest thing may be that it was written by perhaps the most genuinely sad old geezer at the board — someone we could all learn from. We’re all here because we yearn to be sad geezers, right?

Now, as to who deleted it, I might be able to hazard a guess. What perplexes me is that:

a) The person who wrote the topic has vociferously spoken out against censorship and aginst the practise of deleting posts.

b) Moderator 1 of the forum is very adept at editing posts. If there was offensive material, then I would imagine that Mod 1 would have merely removed some offending words and sentences and possibly replaced them (using brackets to indicate that it was not the original author’s words) with other less graphic ones.

c) Moderator 2 is a member of a wacky psuedo and “inherently bogus” church ( http://www.subgenius.com/%5B/url%5D ) which revels in “moral degeneracy” and “rites of hilariation.” Mind you, one must not forget about “wielding the Raygun Finger of Unrelenting Humiliation in a zeal-fevered studlust of territorial sexhurt domination” — perhaps this was the point of the deletion.

Or perhaps the deletion is just another example of the conspiracy.

LEXX IS BULLDADA

Also, there were a number of responses to the topic, none of which indicated that the thread would be deleted. However, the whole thread may have been deleted due to a very disturbing response which featured very graphic and disgusting images of five loads of excrement.

I’m not that upset about the deleted thread, other than I had written the dialogue of a fanfic story (which I think met the Fanfic criteria) as part of a response — I asked the author if he minded that I put it there as a sort of purgatory until I fully developed it it later. I even waited a few days before I responded. I felt that if it hadn’t been deleted by that time, then it wouldn’t be. My delightfully witty dialogue exchange between Xev and Kai was lost. So to whomever deleted that, you shall you have my undying scorn (unless of course you saved it for me, in which case kudos to you and the monkeys who raised you!)

I have asked the LEXX.com administration and members before, and I now plead with all the Sadgeezers: Please, please save the contents of a thread before sending it to dev/null heaven or hell (depending on the content of the deleted post) because:

a) I don’t want to meet the threads again in the afterlife without being suitably prepared. If you save them for me, then I can improve on them and make amends for my transgressions. If you email them to me before deleting the posts, then I can really ponder what I wrote, and devise a really good excuse for what I wrote, and why I wrote it, when questioned about it in my next phase of existence. As it is now, I’ve half forgpotten what I wrote — I really need to review it. Gotta be prepared for the grilling (‘specially if I’m being sent down below, I just know they’re going to flame me over this).

b) I spent at least twenty minutes of my valuable life putting my heart and soul into that deleted post. I won’t get that time back until… (hmm, just when is the next cycle of time anyway?)

I have deleted the content of some of my threads at LEXX.com, but I always kept the thread itself because it would be unfair to delete others’ responses to it — they put time and effort into it, and I respect that.

So, to all concerned, please edit, don’t delete. Or if you must delete, please save the posts in the thread. Thanks.

And keep in mind what SadGeezer himself said, “Even the troll posts have a sadgeezery class about them.” So, again, don’t delete, for you may inadvertently be deleting something Sadgeezery (even if it’s not classy), and that would lesson the whole body of the SadGeezer community.

Oh well, I guess there’s a silver-lining to all of this: I’m no longer just a SadGeezer wannabe, I am truly sad and more geezerish than ever. And perhaps that was the whole point of the exercise.

Signed,
    Not glad, just sad

[ 24-10-2002: Message edited by: Logan ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

I was the one who weilded the Stark Fist of Removal.

When we decided to create a fan fiction forum at SadGeezer.Com, we (the moderators) decided upon a few rules.

At first, I let Fatguy’s story alone. I merely gave my review of five out of five piles of crap because I thought it was tasteless. I know Fatguy pretty well. And I knew very well that the story was a tongue-in-cheek comment about the completely demented and sick post by MIKEtheSPIKE over at Lexx.Com. But not everyone knows that.

After some discussion with other moderators, I decided to delete the entire thread. This is the first time that I’ve ever had to do this action as a moderator.

And yes, Logan, I saved a copy of the thread. If you wish, I can email your text that you created. And feel free to post it again and expand upon it. Also, be sure to save text copies on your own computer next time.

Post whatever fan fiction stories you like. But if it is sexually explicit or has graphic gore, then it will be deleted. We’ll save a copy of the thread– for future reference.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.