Lexx.com Board……

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Lexx.com Board……

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Being away from lexx.com for the weekend for Dragoncon and then coming back, it seems like a fog was lifted. The board seems to be well kinda like scifi.com/lexx board now. It getting blan. The topics that are a top have been for a good time now and things seem to be slowing.

Maybe it’s me.

HDS

Anonymous

It could be just the general after-rush hyper drive of enthusiasm felt after attending something like D.C.- it’s too bad more Lexx people couldn’t make it! Doesn’t Flame post over there alot? He’s always got something interesting to say-or, if you’ve got alot of time, start an argument with him! (but don’t plan on winning it!)

Flamegrape
    Participant

No, nothing’s really changed over at Lexx.Com. But new fans show up there every other day…

Anonymous

Yeah, I guess I’ll just lurk tell a good subject comes along.

theFrey
    Participant

Well fine, lurk there as much as you want, but you need to post here.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    Well fine, lurk there as much as you want, but you need to post here.

Oh, I have been!

Jhevz
    Participant

quote:
    [Oh, I have been!]

Well, that’s good, DivineShadow; it’s nice to also put your name, HisDivineShadow, to a face; it’s also nice to finally meet you & talk to you; you’re a very nice person to be around & talk to.
    May be it would be better for you to post here, that way, a lot of Lexxians, like ourselves, can read them. Also because I don’t have to go to lexx.com to read your posts or e-mail you.
    Take care & have a great last of Summer & Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

Flamegrape
    Participant

That was the reaction I was afraid of with a subject of a thread like this. I don’t think any offence is intended, Midori. For what it’s worth, lately I’ve been freqeunting the Lexx.Com board more often than the SadBoard/Lexx forums. I consider it to be more active over there.

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Midori:
    SOOO everyone there isnt good enough for you now.. Midori

Hello Midori, One of the reasons that HDS is here is because he recently spent the weekend with two of the Sadgeezer.com moderators. Another is because I requested his presence. And I am sure the third is because at this point in time, we are discussing something that interests him. I have not noticed that he stopped posting on Lexx.com, nor for that matter have I. At present, with the US doing re-runs, the Lexx.com site is going to be overrun with new people asking the same questions again and again. This is not necessarily bad, because it does happen, but people sometimes need a break from it.

On to another topic, I noticed that you posted some stuff in the Lexx art section, but now that thread is gone. I managed to trace down two of the designs, which were very nice, but the Kai one seems to be missing. What happened to it and the thread.?

Anonymous

I havealways lurked at Lexx.com-I enjoy the fact that a lot of guys(as in males)post freely there, and they’re usually funny!What can I say? I like guys! As for posting there-I have a tendency to run my mouth,(and my opinions) without worrying about accuracy. I view Lexx.com as a purist forum, and I think alot of what I have to say might be misinterpreted. I am not yet ready to spar words with Valdron…I can’t remember what it was but he wrote something I strongly disagreed with (at least at the time) and I would not want Splarka, Rachel,
    Jacha, or god forbid Thesteve2k or Fatguy or any of the regular posters over there wondering where I get off saying what I say (I guess I could plead the dumb blond thing). I should drop in and say hi, I guess, and test the waters! But I LOVE it here at Sad, I LOVE the attitude and overall casualness of the flow of conversation, plus I’m interested in alot more than Lexx- and I get the package deal here, and here I will stay! T_T

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Trini_T:
    I havealways lurked at Lexx.com-I enjoy the fact that a lot of guys(as in males)post freely there, and they’re usually funny!What can I say? I like guys! As for posting there-I have a tendency to run my mouth,(and my opinions) without worrying about accuracy. I view Lexx.com as a purist forum, and I think alot of what I have to say might be misinterpreted. I am not yet ready to spar words with Valdron…I can’t remember what it was but he wrote something I strongly disagreed with (at least at the time) and I would not want Splarka, Rachel,
    Jacha, or god forbid Thesteve2k or Fatguy or any of the regular posters over there wondering where I get off saying what I say (I guess I could plead the dumb blond thing). I should drop in and say hi, I guess, and test the waters! But I LOVE it here at Sad, I LOVE the attitude and overall casualness of the flow of conversation, plus I’m interested in alot more than Lexx- and I get the package deal here, and here I will stay! T_T

Thanks ok T_T, we love ya anyways =)

HDS

Midori
    Participant

ooooo i didnt mean it in a bad way.. i should have said i was joking.. i like a good change every now and then myself.. I think ill hang around here a bit to get know some intresting stuff..
    And ooo yeah i put the art work back up.. i had a bit of a problem the first time i posted, but i got it all together now
    I will post more as i make them

As for now, i have to get use to this board.

Midori

mandara k
    Participant

We welcome you we welcome you lalalala.

Bring your friends; the more the merrier I say.

Midori
    Participant

SOOO everyone there isnt good enough for you now.. And what kind of topic would get you going again?? There is not much i can say.. i have never been to any of these convention things because i cant travel now because of the baby.. i wish i could.. there just never is anything in sunny scrumy florida..

Midori

Jhevz
    Participant

Well may be some day I’ll go back to lexx.com & try them again; but in the meantime, I really like posting here; there’s a lot of really nice people, wonderful posts & great friendships to be had. I plan to e-mail HDS first & ask him what he thinks of it before I go on; the Frey thinks I should just stay here at sadgeezer, & she’s right; I do plan to stay here; may be even let you people know about another convention that I go to.
    Flamegrape, I wouldn’t worry about doing posts like this; hey, that was just his/her own opinion; I like reading your posts, among others.
    T_T, I always like reading your posts; & I’m very glad to have met you.
    HDS, I also like reading your posts; you aught to post more; & I’m very glad to have met you & your lovely wife; may be next yr, the 3 or 4 of us can spend more time with 1 another.
    Midori, welcome to sadgeezer; please stay & I’llread your posts.
    You all are very nice, wonderful people & I hope we all can be friends; take care & have a great last of Summer & Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

theFrey
    Participant

as well you should, but also go everywhere else. You meet lots more people that way.

Anonymous

LEXX.COM is a great board! I wish I had the time to post there more often. Rachel and Splarka and the gang did a stupendous job in redevelopment following the demise of the site a year or so ago. It’s much better now and very busy!

SadBOARD is (and always will be) closely affiliated with lexx.com), Splarka (one of the first lexxians) was an inspiration for the development of an SG LEXX Guide and his help and support were totally invaluable – all the gang at lexx.com have been great.

SadBOARD however is different, although lexx.com discuss a number of sci fi related issues besides LEXX, I don’t think it considers itself to be a Cult TV Sci Fi Board, and that is really what SadBOARD is about.

As an administrator for this board and it’s creator, I have to say that I checkout other boards too:

Aeon Flux forum

LEXX.COM Board[/url]

SciFi.com (great site, awful board)[/url]

SlipstreamBBS (Andromeda) [/url]

And other boards.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

pet
    Participant

No offense taken by me!

I lurk or post at different boards according to my mood and the board’s overall personality. I would like to post here more, but things don’t move very quickly here. I suppose that makes it more relaxing. I can stop by once a month and still catch up, which I can’t do at Lexx.com. I usually come here when I want to relax and read.

Sci-Fi’s format goes too fast for me. Also, I’ve been told not to promote my website there so much and been given suggestions on how to become more popular , (though it should be noted that the post they emailed from didn’t mention my website at all), so I only stop by there now to pick up new links that aren’t posted elsewhere. Every once in awhile I put something up geared toward individuals I like there, but I rarely stop back to see if there’s a response. There are individuals there I don’t care to hear from or about.

I generally go to Lexx.com for quick wit, banter and humor. (And to visit an ongoing discussion on British television in the French forum by people like me who hardly ever speak French, let alone write it. It’s too bad my name means “Fart” in French, though. LMAO!)

I think, also, there were a more OTs on Lexx.com while people left for Dragoncon, because a few people wanted to keep the site moving while their friends were gone. (I remember Fatguy saying something to that effect and designing or reviving some topics, but I don’t read many OT’s so I’m not sure exactly how far it spread).

HDS is not really imagining things there . We just missed you guys while we were waiting for your report!

Pet;D

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Fatguy:
    Hello everybody! It was actually Sadgeezer himself who got me to sign up at his site (i.e. his post in this thread). Many of you know me from the LEXX.com board, and know that I started a thread defending the antics at that board that sent many of you here. You can relax, as I actually see this venue as a more adult, and science fiction specific board; therefore, I will not intrude on the atmosphere cultivated by the present members. I am really only here to defend the actions of myself and others at the other board.

Hey, Fatguy. I don’t really think your (or anyone’s) actions at the lexx.com board have any need for justification. It wasn’t my impression that anyone said anything negative about it — though, as Midori showed, it’s easy to make that inference — just that there were a lot of OT posts, etc. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, it’s just a statement of fact. I don’t think anyone here has anything against off-topic topics (we’ve had more than our share of them, and continue to do so). The thing is with this board, though, is that most of the off-topic non-sci-fi related threads make their way into the “The Pub” (and occasionally the Angst) forum, while most of the other forums stick pretty closely to the subject to which they’re devoted. If you popped exclusively into the “Lexx General” or “Lexx Episodes” forums, you’d get the impression that the board is relatively subject-specific, but that’s really not the case.

Many here deride the constant influx of new members (and common questions) to LEXX.com and the extreme youth of most; but remember that this is how a community normally works (and without new members all these venues would slowly die).

This is true, but I don’t think thefrey (who is the only person I’d seen in this thread mentioning new people asking the same question) meant that this was a bad thing — indeed, she said that it wasn’t — but that merely sometimes people get tired of seeing the same posts over and over again. It’s necessary, true, but it also can occasionally lead to “old-timers” taking on deliberately “anti-newbie” stances, which occurred more than once on the old lexx.com board. The point being, that visiting other sites can alleviate the tedium, so if the topics on one board aren’t to your liking one day (and you’re not in the mood to come up with a new topic on your own), there are other places to go as well that may spark some interesting conversation.

Having said all this, I will admit that many times I have been tempted to join this board for the reasons others have already expressed. I find it interesting that this topic was the one that finally made me do it.

Well, glad to have you. The more the merrier, as has been said before.

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

Seeing the same questions posted over and over again does not bother me in the slightest. For example, I don’t know how many times I’ve answered the question, “I live in the USA. Where can I get the season one DVDs.” It’s a pleasure for me to answer.

Anonymous

Hi & Welcome, Fayguy! You don’t know me, but I lurk at Lexx.com and feel I know you! Very well put introductory post! I have the utmost respect for you, Midori, and everyone at that board, and hope my comments were not inflammatory in any way. I fear I have offended HDS (whom I adore! I will do anything you ask…even be Giggerotta…)
    Anyway, you will find me of similar age and backround- I was a child of the original Star Trek, and yes, (I can’t believe I’m publicly admitting this) I was a Lost In Space fan…never missed a single, cheesey ep! You know what one of my earliest childhood memories is of? Astro Boy! Did you ever see that cartoon? I’ll be looking for your posts…and by the way, during hockey season I’m up your way occassionally! Trini_T

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: Trini_T ]

Fatguy
    Participant

Thank you for your warm welcome, it is nice to feel welcome.

Yes Trini T, I watched Lost In Space and had the usual crush on Angela C. I also watched U.F.O., Dr Who, Space 1999, Land OF The Giants, The Time Tunnel, etc..

I feel today’s kids have been cheated with regard to science fiction as us old guard not only saw the fiction – but also the reality of space exploration (how you could forget landing on the moon, or the Appolo accident). I still have books on space exploration, I used to make models of Saturn five rockets. I did it all.

Today, everything is being turned inward. We should have landed on Mars by now, what happened? Probably what happened is the same as what happened on LEXX in season 4, lack of cash. But there is also a lack of desire to explore, you can see it in our youth. Sedentary, introverted, hooked into the computer where their imagination can go anywhere within that program’s programmer’s imagination. I think this is a retrograde step in the evolution of Mankind.

Science fiction is similar to the yearning of boys hundreds of years ago who would dream of traveling the seas visiting far off places and exotic women (something not lost in science fiction, though improbable in reality). Cyber-space will not open minds to new things or ways of living; it has it’s place, but human beings should reach to the stars and set Mankind’s mark on new environments (to the betterment or detriment).

With regard to LEXX.com; I joined that board with the specific intention to boost membership (I had been lurking for a while and felt sorry for the regular posters worried that the site may be shut down). I and several other big number posters created an environment that was fun and controversial – the prime ingredients for new membership. In this regard my attendance has helped that board (membership is almost double what it was in June when I joined)- I am not ashamed of any of my posts.

I hope these statements help you understand where my attitudes lie with regard to science fiction and any future discussions about LEXX. Thank you for your time.

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Trini_T:
    I fear I have offended HDS (whom I adore! I will do anything you ask…even be Giggerotta…)
    [ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: Trini_T ]

Wha? No you havnt! When did you think that?
    Silly goose

HDS

Fatguy
    Participant

Hello everybody! It was actually Sadgeezer himself who got me to sign up at his site (i.e. his post in this thread). Many of you know me from the LEXX.com board, and know that I started a thread defending the antics at that board that sent many of you here. You can relax, as I actually see this venue as a more adult, and science fiction specific board; therefore, I will not intrude on the atmosphere cultivated by the present members. I am really only here to defend the actions of myself and others at the other board.

With the exception of a few of you; I was probably into science fiction before most of you were born. I am a middle aged man of 42 that looks much younger than he should. I was one of the first Trekies and saw all of the sci-fi movies of those times. But age has tempered my view of science fiction. I see the obsessive escapism into science fiction as a cry of loneliness for most (but not all) cult members. Therefore, the congregation of these people to venues such as this is basically a good thing.

With this theory of why these venues exist, I submit that my pranks, skirt chasing, off-topic threads and the like; are nothing more than a normal part of “community” that makes these venues a joy to join and participate. Many here deride the constant influx of new members (and common questions) to LEXX.com and the extreme youth of most; but remember that this is how a community normally works (and without new members all these venues would slowly die).

Having said all this, I will admit that many times I have been tempted to join this board for the reasons others have already expressed. I find it interesting that this topic was the one that finally made me do it.

theFrey
    Participant

Rachel is wonderful… and Splarka is a god.

Anonymous

Hi Fatguy, nice to see you over here!

I hope you’re wrong about kids turning inward and losing the desire to explore…

But maybe you’re not giving them enough credit, they may be seeing completely different worlds in front of the computer screen than we *cough, cough* older folks are and that’s a way of exploring too. It’s probably better than just sitting passively in front of a TV–just as sedentary though!

elmey

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m new to this board though I’ve lurked here a bit for a long time. I’ve often used SadGeezer’s amazing site for reference. I posted at lexx.com under the name of FunkET and have often considered becoming a member here. This is a fantastic site!

The reason I finally decided to switch over to the Sad-side is because I’ve had many gnawing Lexx questions which were never answered at the lexx.com board. Part of the problem at Lexx.com is that there are so many members, and so many posts that are confined to the one board (be they Lexx related or not), that those questions are quickly swept off the page (you have a great set up here, so that “off-Lexx topic” posts can be written in different forums). Also, there seems to be more of a concentration of the “old guard”, so I’m sure that the people here will be better equipped to discuss the more complex issues behind Lexx, and my particular interest, Lexx fandom.

The posts at this site are particularly articulate and enlightening and I will endeavour to contribute and participate to the best of my, somewhat lacking, ability.

Kudos on your great site!

FunkET (now known as Logan)

Midori
    Participant

::ALECK SAID::

~though, as Midori showed, it’s easy to make that inference~

What did i do??? wait im confussed.. Huh?? I Like both boards.. eh? alright.. im confuggled

Midori

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Midori ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Midori:
    What did i do??? wait im confussed.. Huh?? I Like both boards.. eh? alright.. im confuggled

Nothing, I was just saying that it was easy to get the impression that people were putting down the lexx.com board, and referred to your first post in the thread where you had the same impression. I was just telling Fatguy that it was an easy mistake to make whenever people point out the differences between the two boards.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Hi Logan aka FunkET!

Everyone here likes Lexx questions, but how long before we hear about Zardoz?

elmey

Anonymous

quote:

With the exception of a few of you; I was probably into science fiction before most of you were born. I am a middle aged man of 42 that looks much younger than he should. I was one of the first Trekies and saw all of the sci-fi movies of those times. But age has tempered my view of science fiction. I see the obsessive escapism into science fiction as a cry of loneliness for most (but not all) cult members. Therefore, the congregation of these people to venues such as this is basically a good thing.

Hiya FatGuy!!

(Micro waves)

LOL, over on lexx.com you talk like your an OLD guy. I’m a few years older than you and I don’t consider myself old at all, sometimes not even middle-aged!

Welcome

pet
    Participant

Hey, FunkELogan, I didn’t recognize you without the stanfacedzev avatar!

That’s funny, you come here because Lexx.com was too fast, and I went there because this was too slow, although it seems to happen in waves. I also use this one for reference. It’s much broader and organized into compartments, and I don’t have to sort through the OT’s, which makes it good for reading about other shows I like, and upcoming movies. I wish I could get Andromeda where I live, though. I would like to see it. *Sigh*.

And Fatguy, is that all? You’re not old! You ain’t old until you have to grab the grass to keep from fallin’ off the Earth. (Or is that drunk? Maybe both.)

(I may be posting here more since I decided not to post past #151 at Lexx.com, which means I have to find something to delete every time I want to say something. Why, who knows!)

Pet

Life’s Chaos Theory:
    “Act kind of senselessly and commit to beautify randomness.”

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Jhevz
    Participant

Welcome FatGuy & Logan (FunkET); I’m glad you came on board this fine board. I too like reading the posts on lexx.com, but had to give up trying to login because, in order to be in lexx.com, you have to go into mIRC; I will try again soon, but that’s after I do more research on it, 1st.
    I hope you guys stay here & post more often; I like reading both you guys’s posts as well as HisDivineShadow’s & thefrey’s; I really believe both boards benefit from us fans of the show.
    Take care & have a great last of Summer & Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

Fatguy
    Participant

quote:

LOL, over on lexx.com you talk like your an OLD guy. I’m a few years older than you and I don’t consider myself old at all, sometimes not even middle-aged!

Welcome

Well, I feel like an old man at LEXX.com. I feel old when I flirt with the university students; BTW, these gals frequently tell me that they find it refreshing to hear a man express his feelings (what happened to the youthful sex drive of our kids (a fear of “sexual harassment?)).

The general scope of knowledge is limited due to their age and it limits my responses. Look at the threads over there: no philosophy, politics, science or sexuality as it relates to science fiction. If I make a mature philosophical post or a political one, it will invariably be answered by an older member, very disappointing, and they (the kids) are the people currently in university…..

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Well, I feel like an old man at LEXX.com. I feel old when I flirt with the university students; BTW, these gals frequently tell me that they find it refreshing to hear a man express his feelings (what happened to the youthful sex drive of our kids (a fear of “sexual harassment?))……

Refeshing? …. Well I don’t post in the pub very often, but I would say that that if there was a proper place for such refreshing conversation that would most likely be it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Elmey, Jhevz, and Pet for the welcome!

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:
    [QB]Hi Logan aka FunkET!

Everyone here likes Lexx questions, but how long before we hear about Zardoz?

I can assure you that if I do post about Zardoz it will be in a different forum. Actually, I’m not sure if it would be completely appropriate anywhere here. I suppose that most anything goes in The Pub, even Zardoz, or perhaps I could write it in General TV SciFi Stuff — some people have written about films there (movies do show on TV) but I expect that that particular forum is intended for made-for-television shows. Anyway, despite my apparent devotion to Zardoz, I’m a far bigger Brazil and Clockwork Orange fan.

And Pet, yes this site is organised very well. I wish that lexx.com would come out with some more forums — one for off-Lexx topic topics (i.e. Zardoz ), one devoted to Lexx fandom, and perhaps, or perhaps not, even one devoted to humour. This fine site, on the other hand, has its bases covered. Not to sound too much like a SadGeezer wanna be snob, but it’s, in part, the great organisation at this site which helps to keep the quality of the posts consistently high. Of course the mods have a lot to do with it; this is one place where I’d actually like to be edited (they’ve improved on posts with their very professional editing skills). Oh, who am I kidding, I do wanna be a SadGeezer snob! ๐Ÿ˜›

theFrey: By the way, don’t be too hard on Fatguy, I think he has a place here. After all, he might just be the saddest old geezer around! (just kidding) Oh, and go easy on me too. I’ve got a lot to learn, and I couldn’t think of a better group of teachers than the SadGeezer crew.

Logan (an ex FunkET)

Fatguy
    Participant

Refeshing? …. Well I don’t post in the pub very often, but I would say that that if there was a proper place for such refreshing conversation that would most likely be it.

Do not worry Frey; I will abide by all formal and accepted codes of conduct at this board (P.S. Logan – check your mail).

Just a note; it is 10:15AM here in Toronto and LEXX.com has been off the net for a few minutes, can anyone confirm is the site is still up? Checked again…..still down.

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

Anonymous

I think it’s about an hour later by my time. It’s still down.

Midori
    Participant

LAst i checked it was down here to.. and its 5 mins till 12pm.
    And i like the way the everything is separated here.. I think On the Lexx.com board there is only one.. and everyone just doesnt want to talk about one thing all the time.. Variety people.. its a good thing..
    ohh damn!! WELCOME LOGAN!! not that i can give a good welcome im new here to..

Midori

Anonymous

Thank heavens!!! I thought it was me!

It’s 1:30 PM EDT and the lexx.com bored is STILL down. I thought I was gonna hafta kick Netscape’s butt again.

(Micro does the “I’m so happy it’s not just ME” dance)

Anonymous

quote:

Yes Trini T, I watched Lost In Space and had the usual crush on Angela C. I also watched U.F.O., Dr Who, Space 1999, Land OF The Giants, The Time Tunnel, etc..

Fatguy, you didn’t mention The Prisoner.

You DID watch The Prisoner, didn’t you???

(Micro’s having her own little Prisoner marathon with the DVD collection)

Anonymous

Welcome, Logan, Midori, Pet, and anyone else I missed for being away for barely 24 hours. Wow! The more the merrier! There was a lively group here when I joined (a very short time ago)- looks like things may get positively frisky now! T_T

Fatguy
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Micromary:

Fatguy, you didn’t mention The Prisoner.

You DID watch The Prisoner, didn’t you???

(Micro’s having her own little Prisoner marathon with the DVD collection)

Yes you are right. Another Sci-fi show never mentioned on LEXX.com (even in off topic threads) because of the young audience. I am a loner, so I loved that series (I also know off camera stuff like Patrick M. writing the last episode and people wanting to beat him up on the street because of that ending…..). “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered…..my life is my own.” (P.S. Thought I had a 20 minute interview with Patrick on tape somewhere, gone now…..sorry).

Anonymous

Fatguy! Dragon Con would have been of great interest to you! No doubt, if you’re here you have seen all the hoopla about it(and well-deserved hoopla indeed!) But there is a whole, vast side to it that I need to let people know about. Of particular interest to you would have been the forum on, yes…The Prisoner! It was billed as…”one of the most underappreciated, but brilliant British television series ever.” It was held at 10:00 am Saturday morning: the same time slot as the big costume parade thru Atlanta.The room it was held in was packed- at least 40 peeps were in attendance. How do I know? I was attending a writing class nearby (also packed to capacity).The Con ran Friday thru Monday, and everyday, from 10:00am until 11:30pm forums, workshops, hands-on classrooms were going on. There were several Dr.Who forums, Space 1999, and I even saw Tunnels somewhere. It is a most excellant event for sci-fi fans to attend! And let me tell you- I arrived Friday afternoon and stayed until Monday, and didn’t get to attend everything I wanted to. My God! I initially went to meet thefrey and The Lexx contingent, and I only spent late Saturday night with them…from the 10:00pm Lexx forum until 2 0r 3am, I think. And after they all split up, we were dancing until…sun came up! There is something for everyone…but especially for true sci-fiers! You would have loved it! Please consider comming with us next year! T_T

Anonymous

More Prisoner fans!
    I had also heard somewhere that McGoohan had written the last episode himself–the first time I saw it I wasn’t quite sure if he was on something or if I was (it must have been him ); what a great show! And one of the few that went out on its own terms.

elmey

Fatguy
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by elmey:
    More Prisoner fans!
    I had also heard somewhere that McGoohan had written the last episode himself–the first time I saw it I wasn’t quite sure if he was on something or if I was (it must have been him ); what a great show! And one of the few that went out on its own terms.

elmey

Not to get too off topic here, but since there is interest from a few of you and I watched Patrick live and tell his story, I will try to tell you as much as I can remember:

I believe that nobody producing the show knew how it was supposed to end (especially with regard to number one), not even Patrick. So with 48 hours left to go before his deadline, Patrick started to write the final episode; and this is when he came up with the idea of who was to be number one, etc. I think he said something to the effect that The Prisoner was being produced by an American network (or aired, correct me if I am wrong here) and the final episode was one of the most widely watched episodes in the history of television. Patrick’s idea of the show’s sureal ending and plot seemed to really rackle a lot of common viewers who had felt they were cheated; however I quite liked it. He also talked about the weather ballons being used as a last minute substitute (for a robot?) as the protectors of the village. The village itself is real and was made as a think tank community for the world’s elite minds. Patrick was a guest on the final episode of The Prisoner (T.V. Ontario I believe) aired with a disussion at the end of each episode. Patrick was indead surprised at all the metaphors and discussions that took place with regard to almost every episode produced (a common trait among sci-fi fans reading more into the scripts than the original writers). That is about all I can remember about this interview. Someone out there must have a copy…..

[ 13-09-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

[ 13-09-2002: Message edited by: Fatguy ]

Anonymous

quote:

I believe that nobody producing the show knew how it was supposed to end (especially with regard to number one), not even Patrick. So with 48 hours left to go before his deadline, Patrick started to write the final episode; and this is when he came up with the idea of who was to be number one, etc.

Well, McGoohan (as reported in Alain Carraze and Helene Oswald’s The Prisoner: A Televisionary Masterpiece) has always claimed that he knew the answers to all the questions and how the series would wrap up from the beginning. He did write the final episode, “Fall Out,” (and the segue from the penultimate episode, “Once Upon a Time”) in a weekend under extreme time constraints (the episode was completed a mere 2 weeks prior to airing) — in fact, the script was so incomplete that Kenneth Griffith improvised his own role as the President.

I think he said something to the effect that The Prisoner was being produced by an American network (correct me if I am wrong here) and the final episode was one of the most widely watched episodes in the history of television.

Indeed it was. However, it was produced by ITC for British television. It was quickly picked up by ABC in the States, but its finale was seen first in the UK, and only shown here approx. 8 months afterward.

Patrick’s idea of the show’s sureal ending and plot seemed to really rackle a lot of common viewers who had felt they were cheated; however I quite liked it.

Ditto here. I thought that it was really the only sensible way to bring the show to an end. The Prisoner, from its first episode, was extremely surreal (in a very Magritte kind of way) and it made sense that it explode in exponentially increasing chaos as it came to an end — as McGoohan put it, “revolution time.”

He also talked about the weather ballons being used as a last minute substitute (for a robot?) as the protectors of the village.

Ah, Rover. Perhaps one of the more indelible images of the series: that white balloon bobbing menacingly around the village while everyone remains completely still, or rising out of the sea. Yes, the original plan was to have a motorized sentinel that would pursue those in need of “correction,” and it worked fine on land. However, the first time they tried to get it in the water, it sank like a stone. Fortuitous, really, because the Rover became so remembered, and is so out-there that it’s timeless — a mechanized thing would have dated very badly (especially within the confines of the anachrosistic dress and architecture of the Village).

The village itself is real and was made as a think tank community for the world’s elite minds.

Actually, it was designed by renowned architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, who was inspired by the sterility of then-current design. He planned it as an “ideal village” in which he could prove that ideas and inspiration from disparate areas of art and design could be presented as a harmonious whole. Opened to the public in 1926, he soon realized that in order to keep the village in existence, he’d have to turn a profit on it. He then opened a hotel and began charging admission to the village. While it has never been sealed off enough for it to be considered a “think tank,” it has attracted great minds to reside there such as Aldous Huxley and Ernest Hemingway (and currently attracts somewhere around 100 thousand people a year).

–Aleck

Anonymous

WOW!! So many Prisoner fans!!

Fatguy, I e-mailed you with the info but I’ll say it here for all to see: you HAVE to get the 10-disc DVD collection. It’s got so much great stuff on it, including footage of the original concept for Rover in action. (That weather balloon Rover always scared the hell out of me!!!) There’s also an interview with the production manager Bernie Williams, as well as information on the real Village – Portmeirion.

Oh, and anyone who understands “Fallout”…. please explain it to me…

Be seeing you,
    MM

Fatguy
    Participant

Thank you for the information Micromary. Aleck, wow…..I never got answers like that at LEXX.com; you folks sure do take your hobby seriously here. Thank you for the extra information.

pet
    Participant

And it’s still available for under $100 ($ 94.43
    USA) at

Deep Discount DVD

(Having ordered it myself because of a Simpsons tribute ep Hee Hee Hee!)

They ship to Canada, but not for free like they do here.

Pet;D

Don’t tell F…Logan, but they also have Zardoz with Director commentary.

[ 13-09-2002: Message edited by: pet ]

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.