lexx writers

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

sadgeezer received a letter from a new writer to join the lexx crew…basically he has asked if it would be all right to tap into the lexxperts here at the sadboard if he has questions about characters or story lines So dust off your lexx trivia and keep posted for further developments!

Anonymous

Hi,

Just got this email. Jon is keen to hear from you all about the following:

quote:

If I could just ask a quick couple of questions;
    Going in to series 4 – what are the feelings through fandom? Is it on the up or is it not so good? Which was the best series and why? What do the fans want? What does the series need?

Not a simple couple of questions I guess? personally, I’m going to have a think about this and then post a reply to this topic. Jon also asked:

Also, what is it that people want from Lexx – comedy? drama? sexiness? which is the most important – how would you define it?

Simple – MORE SEX!! erm.. the comedy was cool, the way that LEXX steared away from explaining the science was definately a cool aspect for me (‘subspace anomaly’ is a phrase that really makes me shiver)…

Come on guys, wadda you think! Here’s your opportunity to let the big people know what we want to see!!

——————

Anonymous

Geez Sad, you do know how to make my new year’s more interesting (what else to do besides watch twilight zone marathon and drink and wait for that damn ball to drop!) well i have finally posted at scifi.com.lexx bboard to invite people over, i hope they have ideas because i’m still trying to figure out what i want…i know i want the characters to remain without any redeeming qualities, and i want the series to remain twisted and dark with comedy and twisted sex and i don’t want satisfying little spaceopera a la star trek (which i happen to love)…hmmmm, somebody hand me another drink dammit! later…

Anonymous

New writers? Has everyone gone mad? If I am not mistaken, Lexx episodes have only been written by three people; those being Paul, Lex, and Jeff.
    Suddenly there are new writers? Are the guys already working on new and more important projects and now no longer have time for one of the only shows I really truly enjoy?
    Lexx is unlike any other show because of the combined lunacy of these three particular men. Adding other people to the equation can, I beleive, only hurt the show. I fear that inserting new people and ideas may change the entire dynamic of Lexx, it did with Xena. Lexx has a rare integrity and I would be deeply saddened,(and ****ed!), if it were compromised.

Lexx doesn’t give us what we want, it teases us and does the unpredictable. Asking what the people want? They have to stoop so low as to ask the fans for ideas? What is going on in Lexxville? I fear for the future.

Lexx doesn’t follow the safe formulaic steadfast rules of the basic “successfull” televison show. It is a unique and candid show that doesn’t hide the naughty and unpleasent sides of life behind innuendo; it shows them off. Life is messy, life is strange, life is unpredictable, and so is Lexx; which is why I love it and want it to remain the way it is.

To Sadgeezer: I love your site. I love your humor. You are the geezer to know for anything Lexx. From a female Lexx fanatic.

Anonymous

Oh, my freakin’ stars and garters, Sad! Is this new writer a condition of SciFi’s footin’ the bill? For the love of mike, no Star Trek endings! No predictable endings! No nicey-nice, “ain’t life a sweet bed o’ roses” outlook (unless the person having that outlook is to be promptly eaten or braced by a mad, yellow-eyed Kai). No turning Kai into Mr. Data (I almost spewed in “Generations” when Data was laughing and crying and dripping with so-called ‘human’ sentimentality).

Which season was best? They were all too different to be compared, really. Season two was cool because they had more chances to introduce new elements and guest stars. Season three is cool because there was a chance to see the characters evolve and grow(kinda).

What do we want more of? More of the same! We do not want to be able to predict how every show will turn out, the way we can with our more homogenized scifi shows. Personally, I’d like more 790 (and, let him fall back in love with Xev; he was too subdued when he was in love with Kai).
    Okay, gotta go do bubbly now. More rants later. Happy Gnu Ears!

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

PrayrieWolf
    Participant

Compare the Lexx series? That’s a tall order. I liked them all, and for various reasons. At first, I wasn’t sure about Season 3 being centered around the same two planets and their inhabitants, but after I saw how diverse the episodes were, I decided I liked it just fine. The added seriousness was welcome, and especially the action, but a bit more of Season 2’s dry humor in some of the episodes would have made them even better.

Season differences aside, there seems to be a basic commonality to all the shows that make Lexx Lexx. The following is basically a list of likes, because these things are what make the show work for me, and from what I’ve read on various Lexx sites and bulletin boards, I’m not the only one who has this list!

What I hope Lexx continues to bring fans is: the way it stretches the imagination; pushes the envelope; the quirkiness, the unpredictability, the blow-us-away effects and fairly equal measures of humor, darkness, and action/suspense combined with just enough believability and sanity to keep it from being stupid-silly. Plus, I think the writers are geniuses for adding that occasional touch of culture and beauty such as in the episode “Brigadoom” and the Fantasy Dance sequence in “Super Nova.”

I love the way Lexx, for whatever reason, re-uses actors in different roles, and re-uses props in different ways. For example the Lexx is growing and changing on the inside and Hidea’s necklace was re-used on May. I enjoy hunting for those little ”Easter eggs,” – which brings me nicely to my next point – that one of my favorite aspects of Lexx is most episodes actually get better the more times they are viewed. (The cult movie, “Airplane” has a little bit of this quality) It’s good to leave things to discover in subsequent viewings – subtle things that might get missed the first time, but are picked up the next time, or the time after that. For similar reasons, I like it when Lexx sometimes pokes satyric fun at various targets, like other shows, technology, or anything overly institutionalized in this day and age. It worked for Bugs Bunny, right? And, I enjoy the interesting way Lexx brings in less-than-main characters and keeps them around for a few episodes, then does away with them, only to bring them back later or not at all. Lyekka is a good example of this, and Mantrid, Gigerotta and many others.

And then there’s the acting itself. Lexx’s producers have either lucked out on, or again performed as geniuses in finding the best acting talent on one show that I’ve seen in ages. From Kai to Stan to Gabby, Fruitcake, Fifi and Gigerotta, geez…so many…the acting is superb! The minor characters have been as good as the main characters in many cases – not to detract from the main character actors, because I can’t imagine anybody doing a better job than those! The incorporation of a few big names like Rutger Huer and Tim Curry I enjoyed a lot, especially since they didn’t “take over,” and I think maybe some people who wouldn’t other wise watch, did, because of them.

Then there’s Kai. My opinion? DON’T MESS WITH KAI!!! He’s great as is. He really makes the show for a lot of people. So much has already been said about Kai,that anything I try to say here would be repetitive. But I do want to say I think fans adore the endlessly bizarre things Kai can go through and still come out Kai. So long as he always returns to the original formula afterward, I don’t see why he can’t be stretched any number of ways. The same can be said for Stan, Xev and 790, but perhaps not quite to the same extent. A certain amount of stability is important. If something must be changed, then more interaction with the Lexx itself would be nice.

Last, but not least, whatever recipe the writers have been using, I wouldn’t want them to change it except to tone down on the over-the-top gratuitous sex. I’m afraid it turns off a lot of people right away, as it did me. I hated Lexx. HATED it. The ONLY reason Lexx ended up as my favorite show on television was because Lexx came on after “Farscape” and I was too lazy to change the channel until the disgusting scenes forced me to. After weeks of watching enough partial episodes this way, and then seeing the movies, I gradually discovered the other wonderful and intriguing aspects of Lexx. (I just fast-forward through those “bad” parts.) Farscape soon became a distant memory, a mere warm-up that I couldn’t wait to get over with so that Lexx could come on. What a switch! I almost never change my opinions about anything!

The final word? I still find myself watching Lexx and thinking, “who WRITES this stuff?” Just look at the freaky toilets on the Lexx – who would think up something like that? C’mon! It’s rare, and it’s weird, and I like it. The most appealing aspects of Lexx can be summed up for me in Sci Fi’s advertising slogan, “Looking for some strange?” Because yes I am, and Lexx delivers!

Well, you asked for opinions…you got ‘em!

Anonymous

WOW!

What cool posts.

It was a shock to me when I recieved Jon’s email – to be honest (and please don’t be offended Jon), this geezer could be playing a whopping practical joke! – But I guess that’s very unlikely.

I absolutely agree and my responce (after far too much beer) was this:

quote:

Hi Jon,

>If I could just ask a quick couple of questions;
    >Going in to series 4 – what are the feelings through
    >fandom? Is it on the up or is it not so good? Which
    >was the best series and why? What do the fans
    >want? What does the series need?

I guess one of the best things about LEXX from a fans point of view was it’s style. the show is pretty whacky lets face it. The characterisation, the sexiness of the characters and the downright up-frontishness of it all.

LEXX is definitely not anal in the same way Star Trek NG is. The fresh approach, not pandering to established norms and pressures from American TV companies made it an instant winner.

Despite what Paul will tell you – and you’ll really have to watch for this, the show was a MASSIVE hit with older people – NOT JUST TEENS! writers, artists, all sorts of people fell under it’s spell. Paul insists that the teen audience is the audience that he was aiming at.

Perhaps this is where the show should concentrate it’s focus, perhaps teenagers are the best litmus test for a hit. it depends on where Salter Street aims to make money. I know for a fact that LEXX is a cult TV sci fi show and the re-runs will gradually become a ‘must watch’ in the same way Start Trek (the first generation) is.

And yet, the sexiness of the whole saga can’t be ignored, naked men and women were big crowd pleasers and the whole sex slave concept was a massive slap in the face for most sci fi fans who were used to sanitised tv sci fi. I received most emails about K Town in Season 3 which was a real hit with the female fans and also Brigadoom, which was a wonderful show – again, completely unexpected.

>Also, what is it that people want from Lexx – comedy?
    >drama? sexiness? which is the most important –
    >how would you define it?

Personally, I just can’t get away from the awe-inspiring first film. That show ripped my head off and spat in the hole. It was a real shock to the system and one which made me a dedicated fan (enough to spend thousands of hours dedicated to the development of the LEXX website).

Summarising, I’d say that the style is paramount (the Earth idea may be a big mistake since it would be catastrophic in terms of wonderful scenery and the computer generated sets) – I’m convinced that if they lose this it would be very bad.

The sex was lovely, very well done and comedic – LEXX never takes itself too seriously. The saga in season 3 was great but limiting to viewers that missed certain episodes.

Please consider that although Sci Fi bought the show, it is very popular in the rest of the world and writing it JUST for Sci Fi channel may be too restricting. I received a lot of complaints from americans who were really upset that many of the scenes were cut.

I can’t think of anything else at the moment, I guess you will have to wait until after the break before LEXXian fans begin responding to your email – but it will happen!

>I’m really just trying to get a feel
    >for the whole fanbase issue
    >- I mean this is who each show should
    >be tailored towards. Thanks for your
    >help, and putting me on the webboard!

No Problem, if you like, you can enter the board and take part in the discussions yourself. The webboard is very new and it will take a little time before people begin using it, but the visitors that are there now have the respect of LEXXfandom (people like BlackCloud, FX and Cat are big players in the LEXXian arena. I will also try to get the chief LEXXian involved, Splarka.

For most of us, he is the geezer who started the whole thing off. He’s not around much nowadays, but his links page is still the most popular LEXX website. This young Californian dude has earned a great deal of respect in the LEXXfan community and was one of the chief inspirations for the development of the SadGeezer Guide to LEXX.

I’ll keep you posted, hope these ramblings help 🙂

Everyone’s and particularly PrayrieWolf’s excellent post will hopefully help Jon get a better idea about what we want to see in the news series. I’m guessing that Season 4 will be a much bigger affair in terms of budget that the other seasons. I really hope it doesn’t lose that … I can’t really discribe it, but I think you all know what…. it’s like the show was written by people that really enjoyed telling a story, not too worried about upsetting the viewers, and better still, that didn’t feel they were limited to a strict set of TV production rules.

A bit of personal advice, watch out for Paul Donovans office – it’s bloody scary if you ever need to ask him for something, it’s like something from a gothic nightmare!

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited 01-01-2001).]

Anonymous

whew, after i logged in my hungover self this morning and saw all these replies, i had to sit and digest and come back this evening to get it all straight…first of all, welcome wolfie and jb!cat, blackie and sad, as always a pleasure! all niceties aside, i would like to start by saying that when i saw jon’s letter yesterday i was disturbed;as a frustrated artist, i think that creativity is not usually enhanced by the democratic process, it often ends up appealing to the lowest common denominator… then i started thinking about having to deliver 24 one hour episodes, to begin in just a few days and i had that “i’ve bitten off more than i can chew feeling”…look,while the Beans may know where they want the characters and the story to end up, they may not know all the details about getting there…and going around the barn a few times before you find the door is part of the fun if you do it right!but enough about foreplay: why not get someone to do the grunt work with three Creators overseeing to tweak things up and throw in their trademark curveballs…hemingway once said something to the effect that he was not that good of a writer, but he was an excellent REwriter…while he was referring to his own work, the use of script doctors throughout the film industry seems to bear out the validity of this practice…and after all, we’re all here to help keep them honest in whatever small way, and to keep the characters and story true as they have developed thus far (as opposed to seeing our own personal fantasies onscreen )
    as to specifics, i like the 790 crush on kai, i think it could go a lot further with perhaps a “lover’s quarrel” culminating in 790 returning to xev, or perhaps giving stan a go…in the meantime it could provide wonderful comedic sidebar to more serious events, as 790 and xev did in series 2…as for kai, he would continue to swim along completely unperturbed by the absurdity around him except for his little lapses like slaughtering teenagers and whatnot…what i love about kai is he neither apologizes nor really acknowledges his little mishaps, he’s got that aloof cat “i MEANT to walk into that plate glass door” thing going…as for stan he should continue bumbling along in his self-serving way, only occasionally trying to do the right thing…xev is xev, i like her increasing snappishness and her optimism and singlemindedness…i’d like to see some more interchanges a la boomtown between her and bunny with kai’s wonderfully dry putdown (a woman scorned is always wonderful fodder for comedy and ridiculous actions) finally, regards setting episodes in the us, hey guys the last election certainly was just as twisted as fiction,think of the possibilities (remember the snide commentary on doctors, hospitals and insurance in Terminal?!) hope i haven’t bored you guys, keep writing and i promise i’ll keep it short next time!

Anonymous

Whoa! Great input! Wolfie, from SciFi/Lexx, that you?! If so, howdy! Hey all! This is a slight aside from the topic but, since fan input was sought, I started wondering what SciFi

really

thought about Lexx fans.
    I’ve been watching the “LaFemme Nikita” marathon whenever I got to a “Twilight Zone” eppy I’d seen a zillion times. Anyway, at each break, the announcer would acknowledge the fans and their lobbying, for the return of the series; they even showed snippets of emails/letters. I thought that was mighty kewl of them to do. Kind of empowers the fans, letting them know they, too, are important. I know everything in TV land is mostly a monetary consideration, but I thought it was a darn nice touch. A good way to woo in more fans, too. Anyone think Lexx fans will be similarly recognized by SciFi, when season four hits our screens?

——————

The Romulans
    Participant

I pretty much agree with most of the stuff said already.

I like each of the series, each has its own strengths. Lexx at its best is a combination of comedy, drama and sexiness… I like that.

Series 3 did seem a tad overly serious though, but it was more breathtaking and epic than the previous series so it was all balanced, all good.

I like the idea that lots of things within each episode are meaningful, whereby that message is hidden, subtle, will be revealed later (ie. in series 4) or otherwise. Further exploration of characters and themes from series 2 and 1 (and obviously 3) would be great for series 4.

Just some random thoughts: the insect wars, the end of the Lexx and the end of (two) universe(s) – how did the ending of the light universe effect the dark zone?, the circle of time (perhaps they escaped the cycle by escaping the end of the light zone in 2.20), the final judgement of stan (I like the idea of evil Stan too, the picture on this page http://www.blackstar.co.uk/zone/lexx/3 is very cool, from The Net I think) – Stan as a sort of Macbeth??, umm that garbage planet seen in series 1 (3.0)… I dont know where the series is finally heading but those are some things that could be cool.

Confining the action to Earth until the end of series 4, I dont know how that would work for all 24 episodes. Hmm. Perhaps they can all meet up somewhere like in Hitch Hikers Guide “The Bar At the end of the universe” or whatever it was 😛

As long as it doesn’t stray too far from what we’ve seen in Lexx so far and does not get predictable and doesn’t become a re-hash of episodes (Though I like the idea of ‘sequel’ episodes – where the original episode is enhanced by the sequel not rehashed)… oh god I hope it is not dulled down or anything for Sci-Fi US, please no. Make edited/non-edited versions or something for the love of god, don’t deny us seeing something that those crazy Beans want us to see.

Oh, and I’d love to see a memory pop up from Kai or something of the time prophet predicting something else… I dont know how that would work, but established things from series 1 and 2 are really high on the list of things I’d love to see in series 4.

[This message has been edited by The Romulans (edited 01-02-2001).]

Anonymous

Ah. Too many questions all at once.
    I can tell you that LEXX made it past any other scifi show by giving us sex, drama and comedy together.
    It’s popular, amongst the intelligent few who are britcom fans and scifi readers.

What do I want? More Music.
    Get Marty Simon and Andre Haines back to rescore the new episodes. The reason why LEXX was REALLY different was it’s music.

Plot lines?
    I hear that the Earth will be tortured by our ragtag crew. Great. Just as long as they don’t stay too long.

I think that as in the Wizard of Oz, Stan should find his courage, Zev her hubbie and Kai – should find – enlightenment. Perhaps a stray Brunnen-G still lives amongst the Earthers. Perhaps there is hope for civilization as a whole.

You’ve got to find your way back to the fact that Kai is actually the main character. he’s the one with the real problems, the life or death decisions. He is the balance of power on the show, both morally as well as physically.

Just remember – Kai searches for NOTHING. He does not desire life, or death, OR enlightenment. These things have to be thrust upon him. (irm, no pun intended)
    Xev should learn something..so should Stan. Morally, this series needs work. In – between, comedy and sex can rule as they stumble their way through our universe.

If you require help, I have many story lines in the making. I also know other people who may have scripts prewritten, that would only require tweaking in order to fit in with the new season.

Yours,
    Rustam.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Woah, LTNS Rusty
    Good to see you here!

Sarcasmagoria
    Participant

Hi there! Here there be newbies.

Others have posted so eloquently inre: what we would like to see in season 4. I agree with all of it but I must say that I’d rather not see anything along the lines of Zev meeting Mr. Right or Kai coming back to life. If either of those two things were to happen, it would diminish the show in a big way. That’s not to say a little teasing would be unappreciated, tho. Keep us guessing, keep us giggling and make us think a little. And also, don’t forget how big of a lusty female audience the show has. Make of that what you will.{g}

Anyway, since I’m a complete Kai-drooling Neanderthal (hey, *someone’s* gotta do it. ) my wish list can be summed up in three words:

More Kai skin.

Better yet, make it five words:

Kai with his hair down.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kai is not coming back to life.. Mikey would throw a fit if they tried that:P

Anonymous

Okay, I like Sarcasmagoria’s (Hi! ) five words! Kai definitely needs to let his hair down. If that hair comes down, the ratings will go up…or, maybe just the room temp?
    But, that certainly would be something the viewers would like to see.

——————

The Romulans
    Participant

Hrrmm… yes… Kai…

maybe he can finally die and rest in peace after he does something really heroic or something.

Obviously the mighty Beans know where Kai (and the other characters) is/are finally going to end up so far be it for us to suggest things or to say not to do things.

PrayrieWolf
    Participant

Hi BlackCloud (NN) :-), hi all! (Yeah, this is Wolfie from Scifi/Lexx…heh heh.)

I was just catching up on the replies to this topic, and The Romulan’s post reminded of something I’ve been thinking about for a long time now. It’s bothered me that ever since the end of Season 2 the Lexx can no longer truly be called the “most powerful weapon of destruction in the two universes,” because there is now, apparently, only one universe. How can you have “Tales from a Parallel Universe” if there is only one? UNLESS….and this is what I’ve been thinking…unless the instant the Lexx crew escaped into the Dark Zone, the Light Universe immediately Re-Big-Banged into a new Light Universe?! I think it would open up a whole slew of possibilities. It would be a fresh, untainted canvas for the Lexx crew to stumble upon some day; and perhaps some other dark and evil creature or creatures will follow them over to start the whole cycle of misfits vs evil again. To quote BlackCloud, “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.” Of course, being so young, the new Light Universe might not have much to offer as yet, but Dark Zone denizens could crossover to remedy that, and really mess things up! Ah well, it’s just a thought….

I’ve really enjoyed reading the in-depth ideas from these recent posts. And thank you, SadGeezer, for that picture of Paul’s office…it explains A LOT! I suppose the freaky toilets are not too much of a jump from that sort of decorating. But…I like it – strange is interesting, strange is good!

Wolfie

verti
    Participant

mmmm… Kai… the boy must let that hair down! *mops up drool* another rampage would be nice, too!

hi SadBoard!

Anonymous

whoa guys! i turn my back for a few hours because work is interfering with my lexxtracuricular activities and there’s all kinds of new people and great ideas! welcome all new posters (postees?! ) i really like the concept of a new light universe, maybe we could all preside at a new and completely twisted Genesis…and yes, more kai memories, kai rampages and more kai codpieces ( in just 4 days i’ll finally get to be awed by the cod ) kai definitely has provided the closest thing to a “moral” center and lead in the stories,that’s what makes it so fun when he has his little lapses, also the beans are geniuses at always giving just enough of kai to leave us wanting and waiting for more of our reluctant antihero…xev should continue her halting growth because she never really had a chance to be a person, she grew up in a box, was reborn as a sex slave and then killed and reborn as at least partially stan and lykka’s fantasies/visions…stanley however has become whatever he could become in his growth and should not change his character fundamentally, just be allowed to develop it more fully…i’m all ears for more plotlines and i’m sure others are too, keep writing guys!

Sarcasmagoria
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome FX and BC! I’m glad to see I’m not the only Kai Drooler here. I’m not alone in my depravity. 😉

Well, I thought about it and wouldn’t it be neat if the crew was confronted by a would-be target from Kai’s assassin days that got away from him and hid on the Lexx? The 4,000+ year survival could be explained by saying that this person, after getting away hid him/herself away in a cryopod in a sort of auxiliary cryochamber that has not yet been discovered by the crew. This can be pulled off because Lexx is so huge so naturally all of his parts have not yet been explored. Xev (or somebody) goes exploring out of boredom one day, finds the cryochamber and wakes the person; who promptly freaks out upon seeing Kai and can’t understand why he is sentient and not hell bent on killing.

Just a thought. And it would sort of work, because even as precise a killing machine as Kai used to be would be bound to make one or two mistakes in 2,000+ years on the job. I had this plot in mind for a fanfic (even if it is sort of a “White Trash” retread), ceptin’ I’m not a very good writer.:::simper:::

——————
    Peace,
    Cassie

Remember, boys and girls – Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

crusader
    Participant

I dont have time to say to mutch so Il make it short!!!

I would like to se bits frome Stans past!!! Nothing is nown about it!!!
    I hope that LEXX wil still be LEXX!
    And when LEXX later (mutch I hope) is on its last leg I hope that they wont end it with out making a real end! I hate when a tv serie ends and everything is as it was in the begining!
    Mayby Kai culd come to life! Mayby he and Xev will end up together! Mayby Stan finds love!!! Anything, just dont make an ending with out a real end!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

newfangled
    Participant

Hi guys,

OK, this is my first time on the board and I was amazed to see that I’d become such a hot potato, so let me set your minds to rest.

Firstly, I am not a writer on Lexx. Nothing is signed, myself and my writing partner are talking with Salter Street at the moment but as much as we want to write for the series, nothing is definite.

Salter Street actually reccomended that we get in touch with Sadgeezer because he, or you guys, would be able to answer any niggling questions we might have about characters or plotlines that have already appeared.

Now, although I’m familiar with Lexx, I had never really looked into the fandom side of it and was naturally interested in getting the fan’s eye view of the series – a general consensus. I know I’ve beat myself over the head watching duff episodes of my favourite series because it feels like the writer is totally out of touch with the show and it’s place in the world.

I didn’t expect Tony to post my email to him on the web-board. I’m glad he has because the discussion it’s created has been really interesting. But please don’t get the wrong idea about me or panic.

“Asking what the people want? They have to stoop so low as to ask the fans for ideas?”

Believe me, I was never asking you guys for ideas. I have plenty of my own and, if the LEXX guys go for them, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. I was just asking Tony for a bit of insight, that’s all.

Anyway, I’m hooked now and I’ll be dropping by the board as often as I can.

The Romulans
    Participant

Sounds good jimbob.

Just thought of something I forgot about before: Blue star from Lexx 2.0 (series 1), that was never really explained maybe something can be said about that in series 4. (was that the same blue star seen that the very start of Lexx? hmm) I am sure there are other moments like that. Ahh theres one, in Terminal (2.1?) when Kai is getting hit my the plasma beam, there is some weird essense-like stuff or something coming out of him…. hmm!

Ok well I am glad to hear the creators have the final say on stuff still and one more lunatic with some ideas can only be a good idea.

You should visit Darrow’s site… er.. or the site with his stuff on. I find that most interesting. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8466/lexxplorations.html

It might give you a few ideas. Maybe he discussed the blue star there, hmm I will have to see. (just got the 4 series 1 Lexx DVDs ye see)

[This message has been edited by The Romulans (edited 01-05-2001).]

Anonymous

hi newfangled and welcome! along with all the rest of the new visitors i have to say you at least stirred us out of our overfed and sluggish holiday moods…please do not be offended by the strong feelings you have seen here, that devotion is what makes this a cult show that we were all quite vociferous in defending and keeping on the air…and naturally we all feel protective about the series continuing to keep us on the edge with the characters remaining as lovable or droolable or whatever they are! keep writing and good luck in your venture and remember us if you do get to help make series 4!(small unmarked bills…)

Sarcasmagoria
    Participant

Newfangled, you mean…you mean…you’re not empowered yet to give us more Kai skin??? :::sniffle::: Just kidding.

But seriously, hi there! In the relatively short time that’s elapsed since I’ve fallen for Lexx I’ve discovered that Lexxians are a cool bunch of folks. You’ll never be bored.

And I’m actually kinda flattered that you asked for some feedback. It’s not often that a show’s writer’s – or in your case, possible writers-to-be – bother to seek fan’s opinions. At least not in my experience. Maybe I’ve been watching the wrong shows.

——————
    Peace,
    Cassie

Remember, boys and girls – Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

Anonymous

I want great success and continuing longevity for Lexx. I want tremendous prosperity and material rewards to its creators.

Since I believe the rumors that season 4 will be the last Lexx made for TV, I hope they will use this season to position themselves for a run at theatrical release films down the road. This is a selfish hope, since I believe that this is the only way I will see the quantity of Lexx I would like to in this lifetime.

While Lexx is a perfect creation, I don’t think it will succeed in feature film franchise land, unless the question “What is it?” can be answered. I view Season 1 as epic, and probably the style that would be most likely to result in box office numbers. Season 2 played a lovely game of genre spoofing against a background plot that was basically a disaster story on a universal scale. We were laughing too hard to really think about the level of hurting that was going on. Norb really brought that home for me. I have never seen a fantasy show where a child was brutalized so violently. Be that as it may, the genre spoofing game is appropriate only for TV. Lexx will not succeed in feature film production unless it picks or creates its genre and sticks to it. (I know we love the unpredictable, but unpredictability can be found in plot, not just in format.)

I haven’t seen a lot of season 3. My impression is they lost the humor almost completely, maybe the sex almost completely too. (Now that is really sad, ’cause pushing the boundaries of North American broadcasting’s sexual taboos is what Lexx has been doing best all along. More sex is definitely the theme of this forum that I agree with most heartily!) Season 3 seems to be bordering on Art Film tragic with elements of morality play thrown in. This is not a genre that I believe will have much box office draw either. Significant levels of spiritualism and mystic cosmology have also been introduced in season 3. That should be developed further, not swept under the rug.

I don’t know where season 4 will take us. But I believe for a feature film effort post season 4 to be the homerun it has to be to found a franchise, Lexx should move back toward the original epic quality. Some elements of Japanese style martial arts choreography would be pleasant. I would like to see conflicts more personal and settled at great distances less often.

There are other things I would like to see, but I think I have said enough already.

Fireballoon

Anonymous
    Inactive

What needs to be explained in Series 4 is the protoblood situation.. I mean, it’s obviously not been a driving plot element throughout series 2 and 3 but there *is* still a limited supply unless they’ve found a way to make more.. in which case there should make some sort of reference to it at some point, just to clear up inconsistencies.

Anonymous

Accck!! Newfangled!!! *Rustam puts her head between her legs*
    I had no idea what a problem you’ve got.
    Must admit, I understand. I have the Salter Street contract sitting in my hard-drive, waiting for the moment when I have the courage enough to send out my ideas. I’ve not gotten far. The series moves way too swiftly for me to keep up. (Were I in Canada, I might have had a fighting chance.)
    Advice?
    SEE ALL the LEXX you can…and write FAST. My email is available to you should you have any questions.
    Do depend on me for technical info!
    I’d love to help.
    As others have said, Darrow is also an excellent source for information.
    *Rustam fights the urge to say “AND a bit LONGWINDED!”

I hope your script makes it. Mine have been contorted and shreaded so many times that I can’t make head nor tail of them anymore.
    Knock those Beans’ socks off!!!!
    Good luck,

——————
    ~~~Rustam~~~ “Help me, Lexx is eating my brain!”~~~~

sgtdraino
    Participant

Great topic! It caught my attention, and this is my first post to this board.

First, good luck (very, very good luck) to Newfangled in getting hired as a Lexx writer. I welcome a writer who takes the pulse of the series’ fans. I’m all for maintaining series integrity, but creators do not always have a perfect vision for their creation. Take Star Wars: Episode 1, for example.

Let me echo many of PrayrieWolf’s sentiments. I, too, started out watching Farscape, with occasional exposure to Lexx Season 2. I wasn’t too impressed at the time, because (not having seen the movies that started it all, and seeing the episodes out-of-order) the whole thing seemed disjointed. Also, Sci-Fi Channel’s focus on promoting the sexual elements of Lexx did not appeal to me. I’m all for little sex, but when I sit down to watch something, it’s the story that comes first.

BUT I began to sense something greater in the show, as I started seeing elements of Mantrid. And finally, when I saw Brigadoom, I was utterly hooked. What at first seemed only superficial sexual wierdness (“Are you ready for some strange?”), was revealed to have a foundation of epic proportions, and incredible artistic qualities.

After that, I found SadGeezer’s site, and got the story of Lexx in proper perspective from his episode guide. At the same time, Sci-Fi finally aired the first 4 movies. FANTASTIC.

Since then, I’ve been taping everything, and showing the series to anyone I can rope into watching it. The consensus basically agrees with SadGeezer: That first film, I Worship His Shadow, was totally kick-arse amazing. The rest of the series is good, but I don’t think it has ever quite reached the awe-inspiring level of the first film, with the exception of Brigadoom (which coincidentally revisited many elements of the first film)

I also agree with Rustam on many things. Kai is the center of the story, the hub on which the wheel turns. “It makes an ancient rumbling sound!” He is the one telling the story at the beginning, he is often the focal-point throughout. In Brigadoom, they say they are telling Kai’s story, “the most important story that ever happened…”

I’d also like some more kick-arse music, and I agree that our crew should not hang around Earth too long. Much bigger, more exciting things are to be found elsewhere. And like Crusader, I’d like to hear more about Stan’s past, and the Astral B Heretics’ rebellion against the Divine Order. From folks I’ve talked to, His Divine Shadow is still the best baddie in the whole series. And my friends and I really liked the BIG story-arch style of season 3.

PrayrieWolf has had the same thought I’ve had! The “re-big-bang” theory. In the world of Lexx, time moves in a circle. Events repeat in cycles of time, as the two universes repeatedly collapse, and are reborn. And because the two universes are not separate, but occupy the same space and time, I believe the collapse of the Light Universe also caused the Dark Zone to be reborn.

Thus, as of now, our crew is 4000 years into the next cycle of time!

So, where would I like to see the series go? I’d like to see it return to its roots. Those roots that were planted in the first movie, and built on in Brigadoom. I’d like to see things be brought full-circle, as it is in the cycles of time. And I’d like to see our crew as the monkey-wrench, thrown into the mix, messing everything up!

I’d propose that their actions at the end of season 2, causing the Light Universe to collapse, messed up the balance between the two universes. Both are reborn, but time now flows much faster in the Light Universe.

I want to see our crew participate in The Great Insect Wars! I want to see the Lexx fight in the final battle against the Insect Civilization, with the Brunnen G from Brunnis!

I want to see our crew travel into the Light Universe, only to find thousands of years have passed, and the Divine Order is on the rise! I want them to go to Brunnis 2, and see Zev get in a catfight with Kai’s living lover! I want to see the Lexx fight the Foreshadow, with our crew singing “Viao A O” on the bridge!

I want to see the Lexx defeated, and retreat to the Dark Zone just long enough so that, when they return, they witness the destruction of 94 Reform Planets! I want to see Thodin back in action, and an uneasy alliance between the Arch Traitor and the Astral B, to use the Lexx against the Divine Order! And I want to see our Kai facing off with the mindless assassin version of himself!

Every TV series must eventually end, and whenever the time comes for Lexx to end, I would love to see things be brought full-circle in this manner. It would bring closure, and would give the writers a chance to further explore some of the really cool elements only tasted before: The Great Insect Wars, the talking stars, the Brunnen G in the Dark Zone and in the Light Universe, the Astral B and the Reform Planets, the return of His Divine Shadow!

What do you think, Newfangled? Everyone?

Sgt. Draino

trillian
    Participant

hmm, well, I’m registered now. I had lots of thoughts on Season 4 but now they have all been expressed or seem irrelavant.

Keep the surprises and the humor. Keep the artistic feel to it. (costumes, music, sets)

Please keep the teasing and surprises. For an example, to be really evil, and it’s just a thought, let Kai live, then kill him just as Xev is getting something. Ahem, but that’s only if you wanna be really evil.

Anyhoo, just some thoughts.

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

crusader
    Participant

I agre with sgtdraino! It would be fun to se the cruwe and the LEXX fighting in the insekt war and ageinst His Shadow in the next timecirkel! I´m shure that the writhers would come oup with an ide how to make this work!!! I thin alout would arge with ous!!!

And I would like to se more jokes on Kai!!!
    Like in 2.19 when That old geecer (cant remember the name) maked Kai smile and when Bunny (series 3) tryes to seduce Kai and when 790 fales in love with Kai!!!

I hope that they make menny more series!!!
    And jokes made on that hes dead!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heya Trill, welcome to the Sad Zone

Anonymous

heya Newfangled !

Sorry if I got it wrong a little, but hey I’m a SadGeezer

Erm… I even went and created a LEXX Writer handle for you to use should you ever visit the board (it would have been ‘Jon Bean’ – you wouldn’t appreciate the significance of this unless you’d been around LEXXians for a while )

Anyway, hope it all goes well.

——————

PrayrieWolf
    Participant

YES! YES! YES! Sgt. Draino! Great minds think alike. 😉 I am reeling over your ideas that continue / echo my thoughts on going “back” to a new Light Universe. If Lexx *has* to end, then this would be the best way I can think of…to do exactly as the Time Prophet said, complete the circle and then end the show with everything about to start all over again. I liked all your suggestions; especially the big show-down with the insects and Kai vs. himself. That would be awesome! Of course, lots of neat twists and surprises could be incorporated along the way, because there surely must be plenty of variables in the new Light Universe’s time-stream that make it somewhat different from the first. The possibilities are staggering…and potentially tons of fun for both die-hard LEXXians and new ones! Yes, return to the roots, only to find the roots are somewhat different, and it’s *your* fault! As was said before, the Lexx crew has tremendous potential to really mess things up! Say, for instance, they could feel obliged to try to fix some of their previous mistakes – in their usual inept way – only to make even bigger ones. Ha ha! Also, I think it would be fitting to end it all with a big “bang”-up feature-type film or two, as it was begun; all tied up neatly for us to go, “Ahhh, that was perfect.” Then we can watch our coveted tapes and DVDs over and over again … beginning … ending … beginning … ending…

Oops…got a little carried away there.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that I, too, found the showing of the four Lexx movies to be a turning point in my acceptance of the show. At last, everything clicked! Just like you, that’s when I started taping everything I could, and began lurking on the Lexx BB. (And I was thrilled when SciFi re-aired some of the Season 2 episodes that I’d been turned off by before.) It really made a huge difference to know the background. When I found out many of the episodes had been shown out of order, I felt like I’d been ripped-off … I might have liked it to BEGIN with if I’d of seen everything in a continual stream as intended by the writers. To think I almost missed it entirely…it makes me shudder!

Way cool thoughts, Sgt. Draino!

Wolfie

verti
    Participant

I bow to thee, Sgt Draino! Those are precisely the events that I want to see in the fourth season!

It would be cool to see the Insect Wars in all their glory… I can see it now… Vaiyo ai yo… *fwoom!*

*zap* ….a hoom vah rei… *zap!*

Vaiyo ai rah!

*BOOM!*

Jherun Brunnen G!

(insect guts here… )

well, um, okay… I’ll go retreat to my li’l dark corner, now…

sgtdraino
    Participant

Thanks guys!

Naturally, the leader of the Insect Civilization would be… the Voice of His Divine Shadow!

crusader
    Participant

I think that they need, if not the old then a new, His shadow caracter in the series!

I know that many athers agree with me! We miss that great Darth Vader, empire dark lord evil whant to destroy mankinde badguy!!!

I hope that theyl have one in the new series!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

Anonymous

great ideas-especially kai meeting his assassin self and the series going back to the roots- insect wars and so on…but i also like the idea of the crew coming into contact with hare krishna and so forth in america…meanwhile for all the yanks out there…only two days til k-town!!!!

crusader
    Participant

2 days fore me to! I get 3.6-3.9 in the mail then!!!

I have to order series 3 and later 4 bekas TV4 in sweden dose not intend to show more then series 1 and 2!!!

Thank god fore mail order!!!

DalekTek790
    Participant

As I said before, it would be a logical move to have the essence of His Divine Shadow in control of the Lexx (I mean, when the Mantrid Shadow was destroyed, where else would it have gone?). The prophecy isn’t fulfilled yet (Zev, not Kai, destroyed the box, and the Ssecond Insect wars still need to happen). Walter Borden should be back, too, even though logically it shouldn’t be his voice (that was the host, now dead).

Also, there should be an episode centered around the Children of Vora and their plague (from “Lexx 1.2: Super Nova”).

Finally, there should be an episode in which someone can make Kai living again (remove the nanites or whatever).

—————————————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, “The Daleks”: Episode 4-“The Ambush”

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, “The Dark Crystal”

“I will love you forever!” -drone 790, “Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow”

Anonymous

I would like to see less morality play as in season 3 and more action as in I worship His Shadow and Giga Shadow. Kai needs to stay dead, Stan wishy washy and Xev needs to chill out. A couple of eps featuring an alive Kai, fully functional and horny would be terrific. Perhaps 790 could have a robot dream about “his dead stiff”. I really enjoyed Gondola! Even knowing it wasn’t really Kai, but Prince made it even more delicious. I could have strangled Fifi. Hell, he could have waited a few minutes before he tossed poor Bunny over the side! A peek at a bare haunch would have sent me into orbit. Stan needs to have an ep or two where he can be truly heroric without his usual whining and preoccupation with getting nookie. One of my favorite scenes from Brigadoom was when he returned to the theatre and made his speech about making their own history. I also think to have the whole season 4 taking place on psuedo earth would be a bad idea and if this is the last season, yes, bring them full circle and give the fans closure.

Anonymous

I could have strangled Fifi. Hell, he could have waited a few minutes before he tossed poor Bunny over the side! A peek at a bare haunch would have sent me into orbit.

welcome to the s’board! guess we know where your interests lie problem is, as sadgeezer pointed out in his review of k-town, mikey’s just a little chicken wing (“mr. pot, this is mr. kettle…”)and best as i can tell from the hooked rug outfit, he needs two wallets just to break even…face and voice make up for a lot though and i feel sure the droolsisters agree! love fx

crusader
    Participant

Kai said in series 2 that the profecy has bein forfild bekos it was that Kai would destroy the Devine Order hand he did!!! So thats it!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

crusader
    Participant

I have an ide!!! Iv posted it on outher places and they say that i shuld post it here!!!

When its time fore Kai to come alive!!!

What if the cruwe fund a dead frosen Brunnen-G! Culdent they (theoratical) transfere the live DNA to Kai and make him alive?
    I think that would have workt!!!
    (
    They culd transfere the organs to if they had to!!!)

I think that its an good sulusion!!!

I hope that you can use it when the time comes fore Kai to come alive!!!

——————
    I am the crusader

Anonymous

Hi FX~~
    Here in the Midwest we have a treat, we call ’em spicy buffalo wings!(heh heh) I expect other parts of the US have an equivalent. For sure that Man In Black could do with some good old fashioned meat and potatoes and I don’t mean Potatohoe taters either! Did you see those taters the intrepid astronauts had with them? A shame they never made it to Idaho.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by nwmonikr:
    Hi FX~~
    Here in the Midwest we have a treat, we call ’em spicy buffalo wings!(heh heh) I expect other parts of the US have an equivalent. For sure that Man In Black could do with some good old fashioned meat and potatoes and I don’t mean Potatohoe taters either! Did you see those taters the intrepid astronauts had with them? A shame they never made it to Idaho.

you bet! on the other hand he might lose that cat-like grace if he puts on a few lbs.! besides, one never knows where the extra weight might end up, and a man with a big butt is a waste of skin i always say! so let’s just enjoy the skin we have (or have not depending upon the censors!)

Anonymous

Newfangled and already mangled! Sorry ’bout the evisceration attempts, almost-new-Bean-dude; I guess we are kinda ravenously overprotective of our fav show. Pop in often, we won’t bite(well, not anymore ).
    Chicken wings and buffalo wings! LOL! Hah! That is no way to describe that man’s hiney parts! They’re hot wings. And, that man’s got some HOT! wings, sho’nuff! Extra pounds on him would just be more to like![/b]

——————

[

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited 01-10-2001).]

Anonymous

LOLOLOL!!!!!
    Omgd, you crack me up, BlackCloud!!!
    FX heh…
    Well, I won’t make any comments on..(hey wait I guess I am) …the amount of women
    MM’s had despite the lack of butt-cheek-flesh!
    Now, a bit more flesh over the hips might help…*thoughts of black and blues sustained from past sexual experimentation*

My hubbie’s comment was, “Well, he’s got more than he did when he started the series, good for him.” (Why is my hubbie lookin’ at that?!!!)
    *Rustam wonders if hubbie is aspiring to get into shape to battle my drooling problems!!!*

——————
    ~~~Rustam~~~ “Help me, Lexx is eating my brain!”~~~~

trillian
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rustam:
    LOLOLOL!!!!!
    Omgd, you crack me up, BlackCloud!!!
    FX heh…
    Well, I won’t make any comments on..(hey wait I guess I am) …the amount of women
    MM’s had despite the lack of butt-cheek-flesh!

Ahem, may I say that I am a butt watcher. Yes, I admit it, I look at men’s butts. And I would like to add that (man I can’t believe I’m saying this, I KNOW I’m more than aspiring sadgeezer now) Mr. McManus’ butt seems perfectly squeezable and just right.

I will know slink back into the depths of the gutter that I have come from.

trillian

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

Anonymous

I will now slink back into the depths of the gutter that I have come from.

hey!watch it, you just elbowed me while you were slinking into my gutter…well trillian, blackie, and rustam i am glad to see i am not the only stinking chauvinist piglet on the board! who needs a personality dammit! just give me something round and tight to squeeze…however i stand by the padded bones issue as i have been stabbed by a few hipbones in my time as well…as for spicy chicken wings (and barbeque ribs!)…well i’m a vegetarian now but i still remember chowing down on those puppies with gusto

i better stop now before this becomes a spiked pineapple juice discussion!

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 01-11-2001).]

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.