So? Come on! What did you think?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Buffy the Vampire Slayer So? Come on! What did you think?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

How did you rate the first show of season 7?

And what the hell was that character at the end, and why did he/shi/it take on all those past protagonists – and why was the last one Buffy herself?!?! Any ideas?

FX
    Participant

fanf***kingtastic!! call me shallow but it’s good to have the old buffy back…and spikey, poor spikey…is he just haunted like angel was in the beginning, or is he seeing what the year holds? and is he going to be a portal? ye gads i can’t wait…on an ominous note, did you guys notice that the beginning scenes for the intro include shots from several seasons, as opposed to the usual previous season shots? i guess i am watching the end of another series, just like lexx…dammit, i hate that!!!

bonnee
    Participant

on an ominous note, did you guys notice that the beginning scenes for the intro include shots from several seasons, as opposed to the usual previous season shots? i guess i am watching the end of another series, just like lexx…dammit, i hate that!!!

Season 8 Update (from Sci Fi Wire http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002- 09/23/14.00.tv )

Buffy Season 8 Mulled

Marti Noxon, executive producer of UPN’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, told SCI FI Wire that producers are already mulling options for how to continue the show beyond the upcoming seventh season, with or without star Sarah Michelle Gellar. Among the possibilities: a show centered on Buffy’s little sister Dawn (Michelle Trachtenberg) or one centered on wayward slayer Faith (Eliza Dushku), Noxon said in an interview. Gellar’s contract expires at the end of the new season, and she has previously expressed doubts about returning full-time.

An eighth season of Buffy “is a discussion that we’ve begun to start having … with both [producing studio] Fox and UPN,” Noxon said. “But it’s really … stages. I think the main thing that [creator] Joss [Whedon] feels, and I also feel, is that we wouldn’t continue if we didn’t feel that we had something exciting to bring to the table. If it felt like we were desperately trying to keep the franchise alive, that’s not something that I think interests him. I think it’s much more about, can we come up with a concept that might be either Sarah-free or Sarah-light that feels, you know, like a show worth doing? And if we’re all excited about doing it and have the same level of passion, then gung ho, you know? But if we don’t, I think nobody sort of wants to see a pale imitation of what was. It’s a tough call. It’s a tough thing. We’ll see. But we do have some ideas. And Joss has some great ideas. And we’re kicking those all around. And we don’t know. Sarah has not said definitively no, but I think it’s pretty likely that she’d at least want to scale her involvement back.”

In the upcoming seventh-season premiere, viewers will see a much more active Dawn. Is that setting the stage for Trachtenberg to take up Gellar’s stake and cross? “We don’t really have a firm plan,” Noxon said. “I mean, that’s obviously one of the possibilities. But we haven’t settled on that at all. … I think it was just time to grow Dawn up a little bit. And it’s just sort of a natural thing that she would want to sort of follow in Buffy’s footsteps. So it’s much more about story. And if at the end of that process, we’re like, ‘Wow, she’s a natural replacement,’ then that might happen. But it’s not a foregone conclusion at all.”

Noxon confirmed that Faith will return toward the end of the seventh season. But whether or not she’s poised to replace Buffy “depends entirely on [Dushku],” who has an active film career, Noxon said. “But it’s definitely a very interesting possibility. I know some fans … are pretty excited about that. So we’ll see. I mean, I can really see that show. I know what that show is. And so that’s nice, you know? She’s such a good character. And Eliza’s very charismatic. So I can see what that show would be. But again, many, many hurdles. And I don’t even know if Eliza’s interested.” Buffy kicks off its new season on Sept. 24 in its regular 8 p.m. ET/PT Tuesday time slot.

[ 25-09-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    on an ominous note, did you guys notice that the beginning scenes for the intro include shots from several seasons, as opposed to the usual previous season shots? i guess i am watching the end of another series, just like lexx…dammit, i hate that!!!

The openings have had clips from previous seasons for a while now, instead of just using the season before. They used the same “Scoobies walking down the hall” clip and the shot of Buffy facing down the Judge for a while after those seasons had aired. Not to mention that “Willow screaming” clip that they used for forever in the early seasons. They may be mixing it up a bit more now, but it’s not anything really that new.

As for the episode, it was, as you said, fan****ingtastic. Incredibly entertaining. The characterizations are still right up there with the best on TV (though I’m kind of iffy on Willow’s character’s shift, understandable though it is), and the foreshadowing of Big Things Happening was worked nicely into the smallest references. I tend to think that Spikey is going through some heavy torture at the moment, so I don’t think he’s cognizant enough to consider waiting to see what the year holds.

Best line in the show? “Mmm…Contract-y goodness!”

–Aleck

Anonymous

I loved it, too. Back to the beginning, indeed – “Chocolatey googness” is from season 1 eppy Nightmares, if I’m not mistaken. Also we have an idealistic principal a bit like Flutie. I only hope that they don’t try to make Kit and Carlos into Dawn’s own Xander and Willow, because they are not likeable so far. That shot when zombie punched Dawn, the smallest of them, and they just kinda winced… I hope they are a bit of red herring and will turn evil pretty soon.
    Last sequense got me floored. Quality stuff. Creepy and fun. “Sugar and spice and all things useless unless you’re baking” – so Warren! And Glory said “fabulous”, hehe. She’s so camp. But I don’t need to see any more of her.
    Also it was funny when Dru said “You’ll always be in the dark, with me.” Spike told Buffy that same thing what, six times last season? I guess they want us to think that it wasn’t stupid cheesy writing, but “in the dark” is vampire speak for something. Possibly “in the sack”.

[ 25-09-2002: Message edited by: Newkate ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    How did you rate the first show of season 7?

And what the hell was that character at the end, and why did he/shi/it take on all those past protagonists – and why was the last one Buffy herself?!?! Any ideas?

I thought it started off a little slow, but it was picking up speed toward the end as they set up the coming season. I was glad to see a happier, more together Buffy too. Last season was getting just way too depressing.

I think that character who took on all the evil personas is meant to tell us that a new Evil is coming, a bigger, badder Evil than all the others put together. And Buffy’s going to need everybody to help her defeat it, even Dawn.

James Marsters may even interest me this time around. If he’s going to do the tortured-vampire-with-a-soul bit, he’s at least a more skillful actor than David Boreanaz.

All in all, Buffy looks like a bright spot in an otherwise dismal viewing season.

Headgehog
    Participant

I liked it at lot. It has that season 1 feel to it, but it stil has all the complexity and numerous intertwinign storylines that come with a show over time.

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    And what the hell was that character at the end?!?!

That’s eactly what I said to one of my friends over the phone right after it ended. I’m pretty new to the show, but could it have something to do with that demon Spike had to fight last season to get his soul back?

Anonymous

That’s eactly what I said to one of my friends over the phone right after it ended. I’m pretty new to the show, but could it have something to do with that demon Spike had to fight last season to get his soul back?

In the final show of last season, Spike went to that demon to get the power to defeat the Slayer (Buffy). But after enduring all the tortures the demon could throw at him, Spike got his soul back instead. Now, all of a sudden, I’m making connections here.

Remember one of the personas that appeared to Spike at the end of this show was Buffy herself, and she said, “It’s all about the power”. I didn’t understand, because all the other personas were evil creatures she had defeated.

Now I’m thinking: Now that he has his soul back, is this the power Spike needs to defeat her? And if so, what does that mean exactly? Destroy her, or make her fall in love with him? This is getting very interesting indeed.

[ 26-09-2002: Message edited by: Lucygoosey ]

Anonymous

I really enjoyed the first ep. It has me tantalized beyond measure. I am on tenter hooks waiting to find out just what the new season holds. I was particularly thrilled to see Spike for the first time with his new soul. Well, his old one, rather. James Marsters is such a good actor. Ot is a joy to be taken along for the ride.

Lisa
    Participant

Glad you all enjoyed the first episode of series seven, Buffy never fails to impress, unfortunately haven’t seen it yet because it doesn’t start here until 2003.
    From what I’ve read from the spoilers it sounds awesome. I hope the ever impressing Spike doesn’t turn into a lame character tho.
    HE IS A BLOODY BABE!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.