Universe Migration

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

Humans evolved on Earth and colonized the various planets in the Dark Zone. Then they discovered th fractal core and a few came to settle in the Light Zone. The Brunnen-G, B3K, Austral-B Robots, Sub-Nebuli, Klaagians, Potataho’ens, Gollean, Nookians, Downstairs People, etc. are all descended from Terran space travellers. The Insects, Cluster Lizards, Satellite Worms, and Trins are precious few true aliens of completely inhuman descent (and most of them are named after Terran animals!. In the fourth season and beyond, we need to see more aliens, and preferrably learn more about the ones already introduced (especially the Insects ).

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

DalekTek790
    Participant

Humans evolved on Earth and colonized the various planets in the Dark Zone. Then they discovered th fractal core and a few came to settle in the Light Zone. The Brunnen-G, B3K, Austral-B Robots, Sub-Nebuli, Klaagians, Potataho’ens, Gollean, Nookians, Downstairs People, etc. are all descended from Terran space travellers. The Insects, Cluster Lizards, Satellite Worms, and Trins are precious few true aliens of completely inhuman descent (and most of them are named after Terran animals!. In the fourth season and beyond, we need to see more aliens, and preferrably learn more about the ones already introduced (especially the Insects ).

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    Humans evolved on Earth and colonized the various planets in the Dark Zone.

The only problem with this, though, if the rumors are true, is that Season 4 takes place on present-day Earth.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

Humans evolved on Earth and colonized the various planets in the Dark Zone.

The only problem with this, though, if the rumors are true, is that Season 4 takes place on present-day Earth.

–Aleck

Bascule
    Participant

I’ve just been reading the post on HDS and the essence and that – all good stuff, people.

But I’ve noticed a common belief running through the threads that I think is incorrect – that ALL humans came from the Dark Zone and that the Light Universe, before the Brunnen-G came through the Fractal Core, was exclusive to the Insects.

C’mon, Lexx isn’t about symmetry like that! Star Trek, maybe.

It’s been proved time and again that humans evolved on multiple planets before colonising the Light Universe. Think Potataho, and two of the Lexx Laws:
    5.All planets worth landing-on have human (or reasonably close) life forms.
    6.All humans (or reasonable facsimiles) speak the same language.
    The bits in brackets suggest that Lex and co. consider many of the characters to be near-humans, very similiar physically (and, as far as an Insect is concerned, the real deal)
    And remember Kai said ‘My ancestors came from the Dark Zone’. If ALL humans came from there, he would have said ‘Our ancestors’.

I think that the Insects had been subjugating all humans in the Light Universe already, until the Brunnen-G started showing up through the fractal core, and that HDS hated the Dark Zone (and named it thus) not because it was the source of humanity, but because it was the source of the group of humans that ruined everything for him and his species, by uniting all races together to strike back at their insectoid tormentors.

A lot of people, I find, have trouble swallowing the whole ‘parallel-evolved humans’ thang because they’re hardcore sci-fi fans. But remember that Lexx is often as much influenced by fantasy as it is by sci-fi (which is partly, I reckon, what makes it so bloody good!).

Bascule
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

–Aleck

Exactly! Add that to my first post, and you can see that theory is right.

Who else agrees with it?

[This message has been edited by Bascule (edited February 09, 2001).]

Bascule
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:

–Aleck

Exactly! Add that to my first post, and you can see that theory is right.

Who else agrees with it?

[This message has been edited by Bascule (edited February 09, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

According to rumor season four will take place on present-day Earth. There is no foundation for that besides fan speculations.

Lexx is clearly set in the far future. 18000 A.D. at the earliest. Otherwise there is no way for humanoids like Kai and humans like Stanley Tweedle to exist in space.
    In Lexx 1.1 Kai specifically states that “…my people led humanity to victory in the war against the Insect civilization.” That means that the Brunnen-G are just a sect of humanity (this one specifically adapted for war, in the same manner that the Potataho’ens were adapted for agriculture and the Gollean Clan was adapted for menial labor.

The idea of humans evolving separately on different planets is not only bad sci-fi, it’s profoundly anti-Darwinian! It doesn’t take Clifford Pickover to tell that the Lexx creators intended the universes to have been colonized by our ancestors.

When the Lexx lands on Earth, it will either be a Star Trek-style futuristic paradise or a Terminator-style post-apocolyptic nightmare. My theory is that the Lexx Earth will be a pristine utopia, threatened by an Insect menace only our heroes can stop.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone 790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited February 09, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

According to rumor season four will take place on present-day Earth. There is no foundation for that besides fan speculations.

Lexx is clearly set in the far future. 18000 A.D. at the earliest. Otherwise there is no way for humanoids like Kai and humans like Stanley Tweedle to exist in space.
    In Lexx 1.1 Kai specifically states that “…my people led humanity to victory in the war against the Insect civilization.” That means that the Brunnen-G are just a sect of humanity (this one specifically adapted for war, in the same manner that the Potataho’ens were adapted for agriculture and the Gollean Clan was adapted for menial labor.

The idea of humans evolving separately on different planets is not only bad sci-fi, it’s profoundly anti-Darwinian! It doesn’t take Clifford Pickover to tell that the Lexx creators intended the universes to have been colonized by our ancestors.

When the Lexx lands on Earth, it will either be a Star Trek-style futuristic paradise or a Terminator-style post-apocolyptic nightmare. My theory is that the Lexx Earth will be a pristine utopia, threatened by an Insect menace only our heroes can stop.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone 790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited February 09, 2001).]

Anonymous

quote:

When preparing the copy for the LEXX releases, we were specifically instructed by Salter Street to avoid calling LEXX “futuristic” or saying that it is set “in the future.” I can only assume that there is a good reason for that. Plus, going from what has already been said by people related to the show (Nigel Bennett, for one), if the show is not set in present time, it is set in the very near future.

quote:

Paul Donovan has said that he does not consider himself a science fiction writer, and that he doesn’t really consider LEXX to be science fiction in the strictest sense of the word. One of the primary goals, in fact, of the show is to violate the “standardized laws” of what is considered “true” sci-fi. Paul Donovan has a tendency to downplay the sci-fi aspects of the show itself, and describes it more frequently as having fantasy elements. This is LEXX, the normal rules of science fiction do not apply here.

Anonymous

quote:

When preparing the copy for the LEXX releases, we were specifically instructed by Salter Street to avoid calling LEXX “futuristic” or saying that it is set “in the future.” I can only assume that there is a good reason for that. Plus, going from what has already been said by people related to the show (Nigel Bennett, for one), if the show is not set in present time, it is set in the very near future.

quote:

Paul Donovan has said that he does not consider himself a science fiction writer, and that he doesn’t really consider LEXX to be science fiction in the strictest sense of the word. One of the primary goals, in fact, of the show is to violate the “standardized laws” of what is considered “true” sci-fi. Paul Donovan has a tendency to downplay the sci-fi aspects of the show itself, and describes it more frequently as having fantasy elements. This is LEXX, the normal rules of science fiction do not apply here.

Anonymous

Actually, I believe it has been confirmed by Paul Donovan. But that’s besides the point…

It’s a bit of a pointless debate, but I’m going to throw my hat in the ring, anyway.

I don’t think that the Beans have stated ANYTHING about the origins of humanity clearly. I don’t think that they’re working from any clear set of rules, themselves, but adjusting theories to fit in with their own vision. Makes sense to me… If you have evidence otherwise, let me know where I can find it because I’d be interested in reading what the Beans have to say about it.

When you say that Lexx is clearly set in the far future, you’re assuming that it’s OUR future. I don’t think that’s a proven point. Lexx is anything but pure science, and even science often finds itself rewriting it’s theories because of new developments. You’re also assuming a linear path of time, but it’s obvious that the system in Lexx was, at least at one point, a cyclical occurance. There’s also the possibility of Lexx time running on planes, and not in cycles or in a linear pattern at all.

I don’t think the Earth that the Lexx crew is going to be descending on is the same Earth that we are on, but a reasonable facsimile thereof. It’s pretty obvious that we aren’t expected to believe that Earth and its solar system came from two planets being blown up and getting glued together and then our history evolved in a matter of minutes to bring us up to the present day.

So, it seems to me that Earth is existing simultaneously on two seperate yet parallel planes of time. If every what if occured, it would break off into a seperate scenario, another plane of time. We live in one scenario, the Lexx crew in another. That’s why it’s called science FICTION. Fiction is the operative word, here.

Just my opinion. I never thought to analyze it all before and I doubt I’ll do it again. I don’t really care who is right or wrong, since they’re all interesting theories. It doesn’t really matter what the origins of humanity are in Lexx. The important thing is that there is humanity.

——————
    I’d like to change
    your mind by hitting it
    with a rock – They Might
    Be Giants

Anonymous

Actually, I believe it has been confirmed by Paul Donovan. But that’s besides the point…

It’s a bit of a pointless debate, but I’m going to throw my hat in the ring, anyway.

I don’t think that the Beans have stated ANYTHING about the origins of humanity clearly. I don’t think that they’re working from any clear set of rules, themselves, but adjusting theories to fit in with their own vision. Makes sense to me… If you have evidence otherwise, let me know where I can find it because I’d be interested in reading what the Beans have to say about it.

When you say that Lexx is clearly set in the far future, you’re assuming that it’s OUR future. I don’t think that’s a proven point. Lexx is anything but pure science, and even science often finds itself rewriting it’s theories because of new developments. You’re also assuming a linear path of time, but it’s obvious that the system in Lexx was, at least at one point, a cyclical occurance. There’s also the possibility of Lexx time running on planes, and not in cycles or in a linear pattern at all.

I don’t think the Earth that the Lexx crew is going to be descending on is the same Earth that we are on, but a reasonable facsimile thereof. It’s pretty obvious that we aren’t expected to believe that Earth and its solar system came from two planets being blown up and getting glued together and then our history evolved in a matter of minutes to bring us up to the present day.

So, it seems to me that Earth is existing simultaneously on two seperate yet parallel planes of time. If every what if occured, it would break off into a seperate scenario, another plane of time. We live in one scenario, the Lexx crew in another. That’s why it’s called science FICTION. Fiction is the operative word, here.

Just my opinion. I never thought to analyze it all before and I doubt I’ll do it again. I don’t really care who is right or wrong, since they’re all interesting theories. It doesn’t really matter what the origins of humanity are in Lexx. The important thing is that there is humanity.

——————
    I’d like to change
    your mind by hitting it
    with a rock – They Might
    Be Giants

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think Lexx ever really tries to make sense in a commited Sci-Fi kind of way.. the intention was that the series would not be Earth-centric in the Star Trek way of things. There are scifi series with and without the Earth where there are humanoid characters.. take for example Star Wars which is set “a long time ago ina galaxy far, far away..” yet has humanoid characters and even human names “e.g. Luke”. In Battlestar Galactica they were in search of their home planet, which was Earth, but when they got there it was in our time frame (can’t remember how they explained this). I don’t think it’s important whether all the humans in Lexx originated on Earth, whether Earth is a lost colony of the Brunnen-G or whether we’re all descendants of the Golgafrinchans, they have included the Earth storyline simply because it’s fun thing to do and can generate some good storylines. For all we know the earth will be destroyed in the first episode and we’ll move on.
    The whole point of fantasy is suspension of belief. Lexx, Red Dwarf and the like are full of plot holes and discontinuities and they don’t pretend that they’re not – they jsut get on with it and have fun at the same time
    Chill

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think Lexx ever really tries to make sense in a commited Sci-Fi kind of way.. the intention was that the series would not be Earth-centric in the Star Trek way of things. There are scifi series with and without the Earth where there are humanoid characters.. take for example Star Wars which is set “a long time ago ina galaxy far, far away..” yet has humanoid characters and even human names “e.g. Luke”. In Battlestar Galactica they were in search of their home planet, which was Earth, but when they got there it was in our time frame (can’t remember how they explained this). I don’t think it’s important whether all the humans in Lexx originated on Earth, whether Earth is a lost colony of the Brunnen-G or whether we’re all descendants of the Golgafrinchans, they have included the Earth storyline simply because it’s fun thing to do and can generate some good storylines. For all we know the earth will be destroyed in the first episode and we’ll move on.
    The whole point of fantasy is suspension of belief. Lexx, Red Dwarf and the like are full of plot holes and discontinuities and they don’t pretend that they’re not – they jsut get on with it and have fun at the same time
    Chill

lizard
    Participant

More interesting to me than where people come from is: How is the phallus-bug maintaining localized gravity?? Instead of plummeting down into an abyss when they step off the edge of the bridge, everyone should just float… Whatever the instects are, they have a superior grasp of CFT (conformal field theory) than any humans have…since they can manipulate gravitons in this way!!

lizard
    Participant

More interesting to me than where people come from is: How is the phallus-bug maintaining localized gravity?? Instead of plummeting down into an abyss when they step off the edge of the bridge, everyone should just float… Whatever the instects are, they have a superior grasp of CFT (conformal field theory) than any humans have…since they can manipulate gravitons in this way!!

Anonymous

Lexx is not about Earth or our perception of the universe. It is an entertaining show born within the minds of some very creative individuals and brought to life by an entourage of previously unknown actors. The folks that populate the Lexx world have been known largely from theatre and Canadian movies and TV. The similarities to our world are coincidental only and are the result of the writer’s knowledge of this world and the way they see it in their imaginations. As far as Earth in season 4, it is not “our” Earth it is their Earth. They are free to see it anyway they so desire. I, for one am looking forward to seeing into their minds and attempting to analyze it from their point of view. As an American, this glimpse into the mind of Canadians with regard to their “America” and how they see their southern neighbor will be enlightening to say the least. I just hope we don’t get beat up too badly. Our Nation has had a bit of a rough go these last few years.(Please, Great Beans, be semi-gentle)

Anonymous

Lexx is not about Earth or our perception of the universe. It is an entertaining show born within the minds of some very creative individuals and brought to life by an entourage of previously unknown actors. The folks that populate the Lexx world have been known largely from theatre and Canadian movies and TV. The similarities to our world are coincidental only and are the result of the writer’s knowledge of this world and the way they see it in their imaginations. As far as Earth in season 4, it is not “our” Earth it is their Earth. They are free to see it anyway they so desire. I, for one am looking forward to seeing into their minds and attempting to analyze it from their point of view. As an American, this glimpse into the mind of Canadians with regard to their “America” and how they see their southern neighbor will be enlightening to say the least. I just hope we don’t get beat up too badly. Our Nation has had a bit of a rough go these last few years.(Please, Great Beans, be semi-gentle)

Anonymous

if you consider the fact said above that different races were for different tasks,would that mean that they were “grown” as such to the standards earthpeople wanted the race to be,then were told to colonize,and if that were so,that could mean someone from Earth knew about the events that would happen concerning the Brunnen G and the other races BEFORE they would occur,thus enabling them to “engineer” the perfect races to help the LEXX crew in it’s battle?

Anonymous

if you consider the fact said above that different races were for different tasks,would that mean that they were “grown” as such to the standards earthpeople wanted the race to be,then were told to colonize,and if that were so,that could mean someone from Earth knew about the events that would happen concerning the Brunnen G and the other races BEFORE they would occur,thus enabling them to “engineer” the perfect races to help the LEXX crew in it’s battle?

Anonymous

Tsk! Tsk! The more you try to pin it down, the more it will elude you. Lexx is not conventional and, hopefully, never will be. To try and dissect it using conventional means the way you could say, an Andromeda episode, will only lead to headaches and unflattering frown lines in the forehead. Humans always need such neat, tidy packages. Well, Lexx ain’t neat and it sure isn’t tidy. Let’s just enjoy the ride while we can. Besides, how pathetic would we be as humans, if we seeded the Brunnen-G culture? They evolved into immortal artistic warriors over the eons and we can barely live beyond ninety and still wear white after September!

——————
    “mitaku oyasin”

Anonymous

Tsk! Tsk! The more you try to pin it down, the more it will elude you. Lexx is not conventional and, hopefully, never will be. To try and dissect it using conventional means the way you could say, an Andromeda episode, will only lead to headaches and unflattering frown lines in the forehead. Humans always need such neat, tidy packages. Well, Lexx ain’t neat and it sure isn’t tidy. Let’s just enjoy the ride while we can. Besides, how pathetic would we be as humans, if we seeded the Brunnen-G culture? They evolved into immortal artistic warriors over the eons and we can barely live beyond ninety and still wear white after September!

——————
    “mitaku oyasin”

DalekTek790
    Participant

Humans on Earth will be better than the Brunnen-G! All those other races are just mere shadows of humanity. By the time the Lexx makes it to Earth, it will be a fururistic paradise free of war, famine, disease, and sin.

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

Humans on Earth will be better than the Brunnen-G! All those other races are just mere shadows of humanity. By the time the Lexx makes it to Earth, it will be a fururistic paradise free of war, famine, disease, and sin.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

From Paul Donovan interview:
    “As for the show’s time frame, Donovan reveals that Season Four will be set in the present day. ‘We have some fun things planned,’ he continues. ‘Like we’re thinking of making one of the actors from Season Three the President of the United States…He’s a sycophantic, loathsome character. And we’ll only go do horrible things on the Earth!'”

Okay, so that screws up the notion that it’s going to be a futuristic utopia setting, free of war, famine, disease and sin. If anything, it shows that it’s going to be just as ugly, mean, and vile a place as it is right now. Not that I’d have it any other way, mind you.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

From Paul Donovan interview:
    “As for the show’s time frame, Donovan reveals that Season Four will be set in the present day. ‘We have some fun things planned,’ he continues. ‘Like we’re thinking of making one of the actors from Season Three the President of the United States…He’s a sycophantic, loathsome character. And we’ll only go do horrible things on the Earth!'”

Okay, so that screws up the notion that it’s going to be a futuristic utopia setting, free of war, famine, disease and sin. If anything, it shows that it’s going to be just as ugly, mean, and vile a place as it is right now. Not that I’d have it any other way, mind you.

–Aleck

Wolfbagger
    Participant

I always thought that the humans everywhere thing was supposed to be a bit of a throwback to 50’s pulp sci-fi, the sort of stuff where there’d be some guy in a silvery suit saying ‘I am Zarg from Bloopup 4, my race is far more advanced than yours, puny earthling’ and you’d be like no! you are just a bloke in a silvery suit. I beleive lexx used to be called ‘tales from a parallel universe’ and once carried the subline ‘stories from the dark zone’, both of which are very suggestive of 50’s scifi (or 60’s or 70’s, for that matter)

Wolfbagger
    Participant

I always thought that the humans everywhere thing was supposed to be a bit of a throwback to 50’s pulp sci-fi, the sort of stuff where there’d be some guy in a silvery suit saying ‘I am Zarg from Bloopup 4, my race is far more advanced than yours, puny earthling’ and you’d be like no! you are just a bloke in a silvery suit. I beleive lexx used to be called ‘tales from a parallel universe’ and once carried the subline ‘stories from the dark zone’, both of which are very suggestive of 50’s scifi (or 60’s or 70’s, for that matter)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.